Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/24/2022 11:40:00 PM EDT
My son is 6. I practiced Kenpo Karate from 8-12, so I'm not as familiar with the three in the pole. I've taken my son to all three for free classes, but I'm torn between Jiu Jitsu and Kung Fu. Both seem more disciplined and structured than the boxing school. I've been told kids who start out practicing Jiu Jitsu at a young age can be excellent high school wrestlers. What option would you choose for a 6 year that needs fitness, coordination, and most importantly the confidence to defend himself?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
JJ hands down
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good comparison of MMA styles:

Best Martial Arts for Self Defense Ranked

TLDR: Any style where you train being punched in the face.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JJ hands down
View Quote

This. JJ relies on physics, not mystical chi, ki, qi gong or silliness.

One of the biggest disservices of “traditional martial arts” training is the magic hokum vs speed, agility, strength.

I studied various martial arts & the chi thing was absurd.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Experience fighting in a controlled environment is the biggest thing regardless of the discipline.

Boxing is probably the most contact oriented of the listed arts.

Whatever has the most people involved  and focuses on  regular contact training in your area is the best choice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Jiu Jitsu
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of the biggest disservices of "traditional martial arts" training is the magic hokum vs speed, agility, strength.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JJ hands down

One of the biggest disservices of "traditional martial arts" training is the magic hokum vs speed, agility, strength.

Will he learn to kick and throw punches through BJJ? I understand turning someone into a pretzel is important, but solid striking skills are necessary too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I came here to ask this question a few years ago.  the answer was bjj for my then 6yo son.  It was the correct answer.  Now I'm writing this in a hotel room as we have a big tournament tomorrow.  last week he got to roll with a fellow arf bjj kid at another tournament.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I came here to ask this question a few years ago.  the answer was bjj for my then 6yo son.  It was the correct answer.  Now I'm writing this in a hotel room as we have a big tournament tomorrow.  last week he got to roll with a fellow arf bjj kid at another tournament.
View Quote
That's awesome! Congrats to you and your son. I'm definitely leaning towards BJJ. I am trying to overcome my Karate bias. My main concern is having strong striking skills along with the ground skills.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will he learn to kick and throw punches through BJJ? I understand turning someone into a pretzel is important, but solid striking skills are necessary too.
View Quote

No, that’s not at all what BJJ is. Frankly, if you are asking a question like that you need to do more independent research.

Personally I’d pick BJJ, getting hit in the head is overrated and unnecessary. Especially at and age the brain is still developing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, that's not at all what BJJ is. Frankly, if you are asking a question like that you need to do more independent research.

Personally I'd pick BJJ, getting hit in the head is overrated and unnecessary. Especially at and age the brain is still developing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's not at all what BJJ is. Frankly, if you are asking a question like that you need to do more independent research.

Personally I'd pick BJJ, getting hit in the head is overrated and unnecessary. Especially at and age the brain is still developing.
I appreciate the feedback. I've done some research and watch some Gracie videos, but will keep digging. I agree, getting your head busted up is overrated. Been there done that in both football and karate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you find a place that teaches JJ and boxing?

I know of a couple of local places that teach a striking martial art and JJ.

As to JJ transferring over to wrestling.  Probably some stuff would easily.  I wrestled from a yute through high school.  When I started taking BJJ classes, takedowns and takedown defense transferred over really well.  Basic switches also transferred over well.  I caught my instructor off guard by doing a running switch on him.

Boxing has some transfer over to baseball if you are looking for other sports than can benefit.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It really depends on the school. IF you find a good JJ school, they will likely do both. Trouble is finding that school.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
There's a big difference in Brazilian Jui Jitsu and Jujutsu here boys.

For a six year old?  Whichever has the best sensei or coach.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can you find a place that teaches JJ and boxing?

I know of a couple of local places that teach a striking martial art and JJ.

As to JJ transferring over to wrestling.  Probably some stuff would easily.  I wrestled from a yute through high school.  When I started taking BJJ classes, takedowns and takedown defense transferred over really well.  Basic switches also transferred over well.  I caught my instructor off guard by doing a running switch on him.

Boxing has some transfer over to baseball if you are looking for other sports than can benefit.  
View Quote
I like boxing concept due to hand eye coordination. Maybe we can just practice that at home together. I can buy a speed bag, heavy bag, mitts, and other stuff to develop those skills. I can enroll him in the BJJ to develop his ground skills, which I can't provide in all honesty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]
BJJ with muay thai/boxing. Basically MMA gyms which a good number BJJ do today. I spent years doing Karate/Taekwondo which was a freaking waste.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BJJ with muay thai/boxing. Basically MMA gyms which a good number BJJ do today. I spent years doing Karate/Taekwondo which was a freaking waste.
View Quote
Great feedback. Thanks. That seems like an awesome combo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I did karate as a kid, wrestling in high school and college, boxing in college, and BJJ while I was in the Army. Plus combatives in the Army, which was usually a poorly taught version of BJJ.

I'd always say that wrestling was the most physically challenging of the sports, but boxing was the most difficult. And boxing hurts. I am the most proficient at wrestling, but BJJ was probably the most useful to learn. Though there's a lot to be said about getting punched in the face in boxing and continuing to work through it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Six is too young to box. JJ is the way, box later this round him out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like boxing concept due to hand eye coordination. Maybe we can just practice that at home together. I can buy a speed bag, heavy bag, mitts, and other stuff to develop those skills. I can enroll him in the BJJ to develop his ground skills, which I can't provide in all honesty.
View Quote
That is good option.

I've not taught my kiddo wrestling at all because realistically he needs kids his size to properly learn.  I have taught him basic boxing combos though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#22]
For a six your old bjj(I’m assuming you meant bjj and not Japanese ju jitsu) hands down.  Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this but I’m not trying to expose my child to repeated head blows at a young age.  They have brought other activities growing up to do that. Secondly, watch any group of 4-8year old boys together. They are wrestling with each other not punching and kicking each other.  My son is almost five and does bjj.  If he is still doing some sort of martial art in his teenage years I will explore having him give Mui Thai or kickboxing a go but right now at his age Bjj teaches him many important lessons.  I don’t think I could get him to kee going if he was getting punched in the face every time he went to class.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I did karate as a kid, wrestling in high school and college, boxing in college, and BJJ while I was in the Army. Plus combatives in the Army, which was usually a poorly taught version of BJJ.

I'd always say that wrestling was the most physically challenging of the sports, but boxing was the most difficult. And boxing hurts. I am the most proficient at wrestling, but BJJ was probably the most useful to learn. Though there's a lot to be said about getting punched in the face in boxing and continuing to work through it.
View Quote
Yep on the getting punched in the face.  It took me a good six months of taking a punch before I really started to shrug the hits off.

I found boxing to be much more enjoyable in spite of the pain.  I remember what really hurt after the first lesson was the inside hinge of my arm through my bicep.  I was having issues driving home the pain got so bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#24]
My 12 yo son is about 6 weeks into bjj. Awesome coach and he’s having a good enough time that we keep going back. He definitely hasn’t picked up on a whole ton yet but that’s pretty normal for the first year. Also his personality is fairly submissive and non-aggressive so I am hoping bjj starts to help with that. If he makes some progress I’ll look at adding in muay thai by the same instructor.

If nothing else it’s some fitness for him. Hopefully he learns some grit and ability to defend against shit heads. Best case, wrestling scholarship and he buys me a retirement home with all his prize money
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, if you are looking for self defense, JJ is the way.  Most fights in which hand to hand is involved quickly go to ground. Basic human instincts for first 10 seconds of a defense situation then JJ training once body to body resulting in the trained JJ student bending the opponent up like a pretzel until they cry uncle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#26]
JJ so he can throw his opponent and then get out of Dodge.
If you want him to go toe to toe it is boxing, but there is a price to be paid for repeated blows to the head (my grandfather was an Olympic boxer and it showed).
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Judo, because throwing adults across the room like dolls when you're 12 years old is fun.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#28]
My son does Jiu Jitsu and boxing.  It’s a good combination to have the two.  If he could only do one, it would be Jiu Jitsu.  That’s the one he actively competes in.  The tournaments are more fun and he’s not getting his head pounded at a young age.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Boxing so he can learn to end things quickly while standing like a man. The chances he will ever come across someone in the street that can counter his boxing skill with a fancy martial art, wrestling, or MMA are slim to none anyway.  Boxing is also good for the soul and very fitness oriented. No better feeling than knowing how to easily evade the average joe and knock him flat out .  

Start with boxing basics and if he ever feels the need to add to then MMA could be useful. Striking is definitely more important to learn first for self defense though
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Find a Filipino Martial arts school near you.

They generally combine Kali, bjj, May Thai boxing, American boxing, panantukan, and Silat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Cobra kai deleted scene season one. #cobrakai
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Unless you live in San Francisco you’d be wasting time with Kung Fu in 87% of the rest of the world. Kenneth Cheung never refers to himself as master or Grandmaster only as humble student. If you see master or Grandmaster at a school, turn around and check out a different place. No idea who made this video but whoever edited added Grandmaster in the prologue text. Only a handful of legitimate instructors remain and it would take 20 years of training just to handle the typical UFC MMA type of guys probably 40 years to deal with the champions. At least 12 just to deal with typical BBJ guys. So most people don’t have the faith, perseverance and dedication to do all that. 87% will opt for Thai kickboxing, Jujitsu and boxing if not 99.9%. On the flip side 99% of Americans have zero clue about the 1 out of a billion legit kung fu and only think of tv nonsense, death touch bullshit or movie crap or the fake “Shaolin temple” garbage. The first priority is gauging level of interest because consistent training > style and then finding a competent instructor. If you want to see legit stuff in San Francisco where people are willing to actually fight any challengers {taped broken windows from past visitors} and no rules pressure testing, then I’ll tell you where to go. Feel free to start a fight, no cops will be called, nobody will jump in or break up the fight or attempt to sue you in civili court.
Kenneth Chung "The Strangeness of Wing Chun"
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

One of the biggest disservices of “traditional martial arts” training is the magic hokum vs speed, agility, strength.

View Quote

There is no such thing as chi that’s tv and movies so anyone referencing king fu Qi hasn’t actually experienced a legit instructor. Tai Qi is just for exercise. Bruce Lee sucked at Wing Chun by the way. This from fellow students who knew him in Hong Kong. Anderson Silva doesn’t even execute Wing Chun properly and isn’t studying from a legit Wing Chun Sifu . Despite not executing Wing Chun properly Anderson Silva still won his boxing bout https://www.bjpenn.com/boxing-news/anderson-silva-responds-after-tito-ortiz-claims-he-uses-wing-chun-bruce-lee-bullsht-fighting-tactics/?amp=1Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Joe Rogan on Anderson Silva in His Prime
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Framing, posting and sprawling is going to be as necessary as elbows, strikes, knees or kicking.
Q&A w/Firas Zahabi: Overcome Freezing Up in a Fight, Takedown Defense, & Shin Breaks
Stop a Wrestler's Double-Leg Takedown w/ Firas Zahabi
Firas Zahabi: Some People Don’t Know the Reality of Violence
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my opinion fundamentals of balance at that age lays a foundation > any martial art
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:16:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Why not just getting him into wrestling now?

Also, if you haven’t yet, check out the Gracie’s bullyproof series. Not the be all end all, but it is set up for parents to do some basic drills and have fun with their kids.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#37]
My boys did full contact karate when they were young. They brought in a boxing instructor every couple weeks which really helped.  As someone else said, it takes time to get used to getting punched without it affecting the fight. With that said, if I had to do it over again I would have picked BJJ. Most fight go to the ground.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Everyone says most fights go to the ground. Okay here’s MMA pros streetfighting and they didn’t go to the ground
Lee Murray’s Crimes and Misadventures | Fightlore Preview
Fighlore:ER Brawl - Joe Riggs and Nick Diaz . 2006.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everyone says most fights go to the ground. Okay here’s MMA pros streetfighting and they didn’t go to the ground https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGy7Et37zwA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ial2YmWidyc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3npRzp3tQE
View Quote

You don’t want to be on the ground in a real fight because you are rarely fighting on a soft mat against one person.

IMO boxing is better because the whole point of the game is not going on the ground.

Granted you won’t learn kicking from traditional boxing but being able to be punched in the mouth and keeping your cool is worth a lot in a real fight.

You only have so much time that you can dedicate to training. Learn how to get hit, block a hit, and land a hit. Then when you know that, try learning more about ground game and kicking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You don’t want to be on the ground in a real fight because you are rarely fighting on a soft mat against one person.
View Quote

I saw a guy take a big piece of glass from a broken bottle go all the way thru his hand from one side out the other when he went down. Beach could be better but always have to wonder if anyone decides to jump in. Depends. Water is definitely more suited to wrestling/Jijitsu. Fighting inside of a car also suits wrestling / jujitsu and elbows.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I saw a guy take a big piece of glass from a broken bottle go all the way thru his hand from one side out the other when he went down. Beach could be better but always have to wonder if anyone decides to jump in. Depends. Water is definitely more suited to wrestling/Jijitsu. Fighting inside of a car also suits wrestling / jujitsu and elbows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you aren’t in control of the ground or who you’ll be fighting or when.

You only have so much time to spend learning.

Spend it learning how to take hits, block and return them if you can. The first goal should be not going onto the ground and the second should be getting yourself away.

Assuming we aren’t talking about mutual combat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Usually only two scenarios that end up on the ground in a street fight.

1. Two average joes rolling around struggling to do nothing.

2. One man trained for the ground choking out the guy that isn't.

#1 being common and #2 being rare.

For pure self defense though striking is always better to learn first IMO. Keeping your distance from someone that may or may not draw a knife from a sheath or pocket once entangled is crucial.

Knockout = good
Entanglement = bad

Anyway.... yeah 6 year olds though I'd just say let them do what brings them joy and pride. Hopefully they aren't gonna encounter any real world issues at that age :)
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:43:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, you aren’t in control of the ground or who you’ll be fighting or when.

You only have so much time to spend learning.

Spend it learning how to take hits, block and return them if you can. The first goal should be not going onto the ground and the second should be getting yourself away.

Assuming we aren’t talking about mutual combat.
View Quote

Every time I travel I have to learn the local gun/knife/mutual combat - or self defense laws. So far, I’ve had all charges ever brought against me dropped but it’s cost me $$$ fir defense lawyers. I’ve successfully ran a couple times from very large groups after breaking off and bailing. So far 6 people has been the biggest group I ever stayed rather than ran from before than 4 and my son watched me against 2 guys in Oakland I caught trying to steal from my car. About 40-50 Mexicans is the largest group I’ve successfully gotten away from. My worst experiences have been 2 attacks from behind, one in the rain. Those would be my only ‘losses’ I didn’t get knocked out but I wasn’t able to really recover from being jumped on my back from behind when Obama was in office and the other was a sucker punch from behind in high school.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For pure self defense though striking is always better to learn first IMO. Keeping your distance from someone that may or may not draw a knife from a sheath or pocket once entangled is crucial.

Knockout = good
Entanglement = bad

Anyway.... yeah 6 year olds though I'd just say let them do what brings them joy and pride. Hopefully they aren't gonna encounter any real world issues at that age :)
View Quote

Haymakers that don’t connect or guys grabbing each other and trading hits bent over at the waist like girls in junior high is a common scene after the bars close at 2 am. Watched 2 fat guys swing at the air over and over in the general direction of each other but missing each other until finally landing but too tired to continue at the Exotic Erotic too. Black guys from the hood love to draw their elbows in wide foot stance reaching haymakers with head leaned way back ghetto fight method. 90% of people have zero consistent training and the 2% that can actually fight rarely do minus lunatics like me and Nate Diaz who thinks Stockton, CA is everywhere he goes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Wellllll I’m a guy that owns a BJJ school. So I vote for that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Muay Thai
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Knockout = good
Entanglement = bad

View Quote

This worked when I was in school, but doesn’t now.

Now, you punch someone in the face you are suspended.  Even if they start it.

Much better to take them to the ground and make them submit.  No marks, no bruises, no blood, no suspension.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:13:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wellllll I’m a guy that owns a BJJ school. So I vote for that.
View Quote

Dan is being modest. If I recall he has posted his school curriculum and overview previously, so he could be a resource if you need assistance locating or evaluating a BJJ school.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#49]
My 6yo is about 6 months in at the nearby kung fu place. Chose it mainly for their focus on leadership, confidence and anti-bully stuff (and proximity).

Stuck with it because he likes it, despite what I perceive to be some mcdojo characteristics, e.g., he's already been assigned his "black belt date" and so far we've already had one price bump - to enter the leadership track.

They do spar, do mix in some bjj, do test for all the various shades of all the different belts, and do encourage leadership at all levels, so worth it so far. At this age if it helps him improve and maintains his interest, it's a win.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Because of his youth, JJ.

Comparing to various 'martial arts' from around the world, if he later wants to learn about fighting learn both western boxing and wrestling or JJ.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top