Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/14/2022 1:50:19 PM EDT
Automakers in North America will cut more than 100,000 vehicles from production schedules this week, deepening a broader slump created by the global semiconductor shortage, Automotive News reported Sunday.

The data, which was provided by AutoForecast Solutions, shows that automakers in North America have now skipped the assembly of more than 1 million vehicles since the beginning of 2022. The global semiconductor shortage has impacted nearly 3 million vehicles worldwide this year, according to the data, and nearly 4 million vehicles will be impacted by the year’s end.

“We are still looking at a bottom in Q1 2023 with the anticipation of the start of a recovery in Q2. Even then, it is expected to be gradual with peaks and valleys throughout the year,” said Joseph McCabe, CEO of AutoForecast Solutions.

This week’s impacted production in North America means the region surpasses Europe as the most affected region worldwide.

In July, General Motors said it had nearly 100,000 unfinished vehicles waiting for semiconductors as part of its mid-year update for investors, and other automakers have shipped cars to dealers without some functions such as heated seats due to the chip shortage.

Despite the rising shortage, industry analysts and some producers expect the shortage to ease by the end of the year, with relief coming soon.

“The good thing to know, it is easing up,” Swiss-based automotive supplier ABB CEO Bjorn Rosengren told Reuters last month. “I would not say the problems are over yet, but we have commitments for the second half which look quite good.”

According to AutoForecast, the assembly of 1.04 million vehicles in Europe has been impacted by the shortage, just shy of North America’s 1.06-million mark. Combined, South America, Asia, China, and the Middle East and Africa regions comprise nearly 900,000 more impacted vehicles.

Since 2021, production of roughly 13 million cars worldwide has been skipped due to the shortage, although there are encouraging signs. In the data provided by AFS this week, automakers in Europe said they don’t expect an increase in skipped vehicle productions, a signal that there could be positive signs ahead.

“Europe staying flat this week is not an indication we are out of the woods in terms of the shortage impact,” McCabe said. “However, it is a good indicator that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.”

News Source: The Drive

https://techwebtrends.com/news/due-to-a-shortage-of-chips-north-american-automakers-this-week-reduced-production-by-100000-vehicles/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Shortages suck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not going to get better for auto makers until they update their outdated chip design that  chip makers have no interest in producing any more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not going to get better for auto makers until they update their outdated chip design that  chip makers have no interest in producing any more.
View Quote

Or - if they really want old ass tech - they can fund and set up their own fabs. By all means go right ahead.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what we get for outsourcing to CHY-NA
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or - if they really want old ass tech - they can fund and set up their own fabs. By all means go right ahead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the Auto industry is going to make it's own FAB when tech companies like NVIDIA and AMD don't have their own because it's not economical.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Said it before and I'll say it again, I'm so glad my family is good to go on cars for years to come. Oldest is my wife's 2017 GX460. We won't need anything for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah the Auto industry is going to make it's own FAB when tech companies like NVIDIA and AMD don't have their own because it's not economical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is the generation of chips that auto makers use.

They still use chips from ions ago so the fabs have to tool down and back up again to accommodate the auto manufacturers.

Nvidia and amd could probably make their own chips if they weren't the ones always on the bleeding edge.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas Instruments, Taiwan Semiconductor and GlobalFoundaries all say they have plenty of bandwidth for customer needs. There is no shortage on their end. It lies with the car companies and their inability to supply their customer. It's not a manufacturing issue.

In addition, Intel and Micron are reporting oversupply of their products and lack of demand for their chips.

I know a lot more about this on a professional level. Not a chip maker problem.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
All according to plan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old tech is the only tech I want in a vehicle...
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All according to plan.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of my point.

They only wanted the old stuff because it was cheap at the time due to being phased out. The free ride has ended and they can either make their own old ass chips or adapt to new tech like the rest of the planet. Up to them.

Quoted:

Frankly? Too bad. Buy old vehicles and plenty of parts if that's the route you want to go. Tech advances and auto makers are going to adapt or die.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Said it before and I'll say it again, I'm so glad my family is good to go on cars for years to come. Oldest is my wife's 2017 GX460. We won't need anything for a long time.
View Quote

Yeah, until you it gets in a wreck (even not at fault) and it gets totaled or is out of commission for a while due to parts not being available.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL @ shortage is due to old design comments. Nothing to do with it. I’ve got brand new 2021-2022 gear with new chip designs that are 2 years out and growing. Zero to do with auto industry.

All part of the plan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It's almost like auto makers should start designing vehicles that aren't completely dependent on computers and technology.  To bad that's never been done before because everyone knows it would never work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's almost like auto makers should start designing vehicles that aren't completely dependent on computers and technology.  To bad that's never been done before because everyone knows it would never work.
View Quote

This, easily done given the will
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wouldn't be compliant with federal laws and regulations. The amount of compulsory crap they have to add is staggering - and the list grows every year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It wouldn't be compliant with federal laws and regulations. The amount of compulsory crap they have to add is staggering - and the list grows every year.
View Quote

And if these laws and reg.s where removed?, the basic functions of a vehicle work just fine without them
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the car would never sell nor comply with federal crushing regulation.

The number 1 requirement from car buyers is “how big is the screen and can it play my Apple Music and movies.  And does it come with free wifi”

I’m not kidding.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They can't do that and still hit modern efficiency, emissions, and safety requirements.

Once again, the government is to blame.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And the car would never sell.
View Quote

Not hard to sell if the “high tech” ones are not there to compete
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And if these laws and reg.s where removed?, the basic functions of a vehicle work just fine without them
View Quote

Careful the retards will dog pile you insisting you're talking about points and condensers, carburetors, drum brakes, valve lash, no AC and some other dumb shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the car would never sell.

So start your own car company.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Careful the retards will dog pile you insisting you're talking about points and condensers, carburetors, drum brakes, valve lash, no AC and some other dumb shit.
View Quote

We are addicted to our modern conveniences [img]/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img, my opinion is that there is a market for simple tech vehicles
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We are addicted to our modern conveniences [url]/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img, my opinion is that there is a market for simple tech vehicles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are addicted to our modern conveniences [url]/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img, my opinion is that there is a market for simple tech vehicles

Except for them being illegal to produce and sell sure. Lower tech and substantially lower cost new vehicles would sell.

There's as much a market for those as new production civilian legal MGs.

Neither are legal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Except for them being illegal to produce and sell sure. Lower tech and substantially lower cost new vehicles would sell.

Neither are legal.
View Quote

Makes you wonder exactly why the laws and reg.s are there?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither are legal.

I don't wonder even the tiniest bit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. The market for a manual transmission is huge!!!

But the market would rather have air condintioned searts. Which I’ll have you know is the greatest car invention since the wheel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They can't do that and still hit modern efficiency, emissions, and safety requirements.

Once again, the government is to blame.
View Quote

And when you advocate for rolling regulations back simply 20 years ago? Jimmies rustled.

We have an interesting dichotomy here in regards to vehicles. Machines.
Firearms are machines.
Propose regulation and making things a nuisance MOLON LABE!
Undo .gov fuckery to automotive?
REEEEEEEEEE! NO! MUH NANNY STATE KNOWZ BEST! MUH CATALYTIC CONVERTERZ!
OH NOES! CARBURETORS!?

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Texas Instruments, Taiwan Semiconductor and GlobalFoundaries all say they have plenty of bandwidth for customer needs. There is no shortage on their end. It lies with the car companies and their inability to supply their customer. It's not a manufacturing issue.

In addition, Intel and Micron are reporting oversupply of their products and lack of demand for their chips.

View Quote

I wonder what the problem really is then. Chevrolet says they have 100,000 vehicles make and waiting for chips.
What is really going on?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats what I was thinking.  I don't want experimental shit in my truck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#32]
you'll own nothing and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
you'll own nothing and you'll be happy.
View Quote

Nah.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wonder what the problem really is then. Chevrolet says they have 100,000 vehicles make and waiting for chips.
What is really going on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is really going on?

Supply and demand for all semiconductors, not just the auto industry. It’s a huge demand crunch

I work in networking. A lot of gear is 9-12 month lead times. And I’m talking 500-1000k dollar routers. Access points?  12 months.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a matter of fact there is.

Florida still having a construction building boom.
You name the trade? They are paying their employees extra for using their own personal vehicle because they can't get basic bare bones vans/trucks.
And if they can? They're leasing them or renting them.

Ever see an Enterprise commercial rental lot?
From a bare bones F150 to a Chevy express, to Nissan NVs, ford transits, to International medium duty and F650-750s.

They're damn near bare all around.

Plumbers
HVAC
Electricians
A/V
Home Security
Insulation
Framers
Stucco
Concrete
Tile
Flooring
Trim carpenters
Appliance
You name the trade in residential and commercial construction. Produce work trucks/vans? They'll sell here like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All according to plan.
View Quote

Economies don't work that way.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Step 1: repeal the last 40+ years of environmental regulations. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes. The market for a manual transmission is huge!!!

But the market would rather have air condintioned searts. Which I’ll have you know is the greatest car invention since the wheel.
View Quote

Hell yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't forget non power steering, and non hydraulic clutch. Both could give you a good work out. After a heavy leg day, back in the day(early 80's), my left leg would shake while holding down the clutch pedal in my hot rod. Aaaah, good times.......good times.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As a matter of fact there is.

Florida still having a construction building boom.
You name the trade? They are paying their employees extra for using their own personal vehicle because they can't get basic bare bones vans/trucks.
And if they can? They're leasing them or renting them.

Ever see an Enterprise commercial rental lot?
From a bare bones F150 to a Chevy express, to Nissan NVs, ford transits, to International medium duty and F650-750s.

They're damn near bare all around.

Plumbers
HVAC
Electricians
A/V
Home Security
Insulation
Framers
Stucco
Concrete
Tile
Flooring
Trim carpenters
Appliance
You name the trade in residential and commercial construction. Produce work trucks/vans? They'll sell here like hotcakes.
View Quote

Ya, I think a lot of us are convinced that the reg.s and laws can’t be changed and are really needed, a lot of safety and emissions stuff can be kept, even a lot of creature comforts, I’m not against them, just want a basic vehicle that doesn’t require a mortgage and gets me around town and is easy to repair when it does break, I think there is a market for such a vehicle
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't forget non power steering, and non hydraulic clutch. Both could give you a good work out. After a heavy leg day, back in the day(early 80's), my left leg would shake while holding down the clutch pedal in my hot rod. Aaaah, good times.......good times.
View Quote

Don’t need chips for those
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#43]
All i fucking want is a new 6.2 motor for my 2016 Denali.  Im not asking for much. Just get to work and make that one fucking motor.  It's been going on 3 fucking months.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
LOL @ shortage is due to old design comments. Nothing to do with it. I’ve got brand new 2021-2022 gear with new chip designs that are 2 years out and growing. Zero to do with auto industry.

All part of the plan.
View Quote

I have Cisco switches with an estimated ship date of March 2023.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

exactly

arfmilz can't brag unless they spend atleast $87k on a vehicle
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All according to plan.
View Quote

I hate to say this, and I've been in the auto field since 2007, but this dude is right.

We created the monster and now we are feeding it our own flesh.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What is really going on?
View Quote

Talking with a relative at a tier 2 supplier, labor availability at a cost that allows their company to meet desired quantity at the price point they bid per part is a huge issue.  Automakers and tier 1s would rather have less parts than raise prices.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Automakers got told that they were the only reason some production lines were still running as other customers for those lines had moved onto more modern processes. Those older production lines shut down and are not coming back. Automakers have to get with the times.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All according to plan.
View Quote

Does seem oddly intentional
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top