Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/27/2022 3:28:07 PM EDT
While I'm not going to name the company i worked for i will say we manufactured high end hunting packs for ourselves and another company that has a more well known brand.

That is to say everything we made would be considered luxury items. Since the beginning of the year sales of our own branded stuff slumped quite a bit but that didn't hurt us too much. The packs we manufactured for the other company and other clients was still selling well. Unfortunately our biggest client just put a stop to all orders for the foreseeable future and a few of our other clients have recently drastically cut down on orders.

In conclusion in my mind consumer discretionary spending is tanking hard.

As for me i don't really know what I'm going to do myself. I worked front desk at a hotel for almost 5 years then for the last 6 I've worked in manufacturing making hunting, fishing, and an assortment of other packs. I don't see these two fields surviving well when the economy tanks. It is what it is i guess.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
While I'm not going to name the company i worked for i will say we manufactured high end hunting packs for ourselves and another company that has a more well known brand.

That is to say everything we made would be considered luxury items. Since the beginning of the year sales of our own branded stuff slumped quite a bit but that didn't hurt us too much. The packs we manufactured for the other company and other clients was still selling well. Unfortunately our biggest client just put a stop to all orders for the foreseeable future and a few of our other clients have recently drastically cut down on orders.

As for me i don't really know what I'm going to do myself. I worked front desk at a hotel for almost 5 years then for the last 6 I've worked in manufacturing making hunting, fishing, and an assortment of other packs. I don't see these two fields surviving well when the economy tanks. It is what it is i guess.
View Quote

its gonna be bad in about 3 months...
i am not spending anything i dont have to have
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear ya. It’s getting very bad.

Ive had a successful business for a decade, that over the last two years has crumbled.  I am probably going to have to close up shop soon and find work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a used thread injector, and make and sell your own packs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hope you socked away some savings, I think it's going to bad in 3-6 months
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Condolences OP, best going forward...
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

While that's a cool idea i don't think it's going to pay my bills before my savings run out in a few months.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah i have some savings. About 7k or so. Would have 17k but stupidly bought a Tahoe last spring.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything will be fine
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
What they said in the 70s when Carter was the president. We are going to have stagflation that makes that look like a bump in the road
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Man that sucks OP. Hope you'll be able to find something soon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
All these companies better have their Christmas rush stuff stored away before they go laying people off.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It is going to have to be painful to get people to willingly latch onto the FED.GOV teat.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Why withhold the company name, you don’t work there anymore
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Name the company , I was in the market for a 4000cu in elk pack .
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah i have some savings. About 7k or so. Would have 17k but stupidly bought a Tahoe last spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that good news, depending on your skill set, I would trim to the bone now. Cut back everything you don't need.

I've been self employed contractor my entire adult life. I'm use to boom and bust cycles. I thought I was prepared, I was wrong.

In 2008 I ate through 50k in savings before construction rebounded and I was down to my last 5k.

I took those lessons from 2008 and made a bomb proof, recession proof plan and savings. Now I care little about boom or bust cycles and have put myself into a position to capitalize on recession
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That Tahoe is likely worth more now. Why not sell it if you're worried.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree that there's a lot more pain to come. However, as a GD millionaire, I'm prepped and stacked, and don't worry about the economy, usually.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Supply chain issues are crippling leads times. Orders and labor don't do anyone any good if you can't get materials/supplies for 90-120 days
If you only need half of your labor force to build/manufacture until the next order of supplies comes in....
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Back to back 2%+ SPY days, recessions over, back to work guys
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I got laid off in the beginning of March. Luckily I had been saving hard for the last few years and I have no debt.

I was getting up at 3:30 am and working 10+ hour days. That was fine when I was 25 but now it was killing me.

It was actually a relief. Property is mowed, dogs are happy and no sociopath, asshole boss to deal with.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I am in the Wholesale Adult Beverage Industry. We sell Cannabis in Canada as well. Waiting on US Fed approval.

I am good.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Steel is slowing down
A lot.  
People fooling themselves that this is only for a month or so.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I know he takes a lot of heat here in GD, but this is where Dave Ramsey has value.  He advocates cutting expenses to the bone, killing all bad debt, and doing whatever it takes to survive.

I do not have any association with Ramsey, but his basic philosophy for those like OP is pretty damn solid.

OPMMV.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The information you're sharing is valuable because it's first hand. The economy had been propped up with government stimulus checks and now that money has dried up. Household debt is over 15 trillion dollars and close to breaking the all time record.

This destruction of the American economy is deliberate and intentional so as to bring about The Great Reset.

With your experience in the industry, is there any small useful prepper-oriented product you could make and sell yourself?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It is going to have to be painful to get people to willingly latch onto the FED.GOV teat.
View Quote

This, it’s all by design.

When they take everything you have then give half of it back they expect you to be thankful. Many will.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am in the Wholesale Adult Beverage Industry. We sell Cannabis in Canada as well. Waiting on US Fed approval.

I am good.

View Quote

People will always find money for vices!

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Steel is slowing down
A lot.  
View Quote

The housing market will go untouched, or so GD tells me
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah we are feeling the effects of inflation. As money get tighter people aren't going to buy luxury items. They'll spend money only on what they really need.

That's why I got into plumbing. Can't be outsourced and people need it. That's job security
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I am good.

View Quote

LOL, so that's why the legal pot growers are going under in Canada, the .gov has to get their product cheaper to compete with the underground market and is now resorting to importing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm in the world of Bad Debt. Stimmy checks woke things up for a while, but that's been slowing. I'm not sure how long things will be tight for us, but there's an almost guarranteed payout for us when things calm down.

I hope not too many of Your People get calls from My People.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#33]
If you were laid off you need to use your unemployment insurance asap.  It was taken out of your pay don't let pride screw you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While that's a cool idea i don't think it's going to pay my bills before my savings run out in a few months.
View Quote

You might be surprised I bought a small pack from a guy who does custom work, took months to get. He, I bet makes plenty the pack was like 160 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know he takes a lot of heat here in GD, but this is where Dave Ramsey has value.  He advocates cutting expenses to the bone, killing all bad debt, and doing whatever it takes to survive.

I do not have any association with Ramsey, but his basic philosophy for those like OP is pretty damn solid.

OPMMV.
View Quote

I'm a total Dave Ramsey groupie and we can do the scream because we are 100% debt free.

Debt is self inflicted slavery.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hear ya. It’s getting very bad.

Ive had a successful business for a decade, that over the last two years has crumbled.  I am probably going to have to close up shop soon and find work.
View Quote

The government did such a good job destroying small businesses and the economy, it's almost like they planned it
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to hear op.

In all sincerity and this may not sound nice…you worked the front desk at a hotel for 5 years?

Did you ever get promoted or look for something else?

I’m only asking because I’m wondering if you could do better if you tried or made some changes?

That is not meant to be a jab at you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do this while you're looking for other work.  You'll have time to do more than 1 thing.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
im in corrections and most likely safe i hope
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm a total Dave Ramsey groupie and we can do the scream because we are 100% debt free.

https://i.postimg.cc/HsWQqQ2F/chains.jpg

View Quote

Awesome!  His "niche" is millions of Americans who have gotten in over their heads.  I'm not one of them, but I don't have to be to appreciate his wisdom at the most basic economic levels.

"We're debt freeeeee!"
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel is slowing down
A lot.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#42]
OP,  it sounds like you are probably/possibly unskilled labor.    Maybe take a crack at a trade.   Not real sure where you are but almost everywhere in the country there is a shortage of electricians, plumbers, and carpenters.   If you rode a Hotel desk for 5 years you may be in for a shock so please tuck your feelers into your socks if you do.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Typical recession lasts about a year and a half .
The good news is we are already in one so it's only another year to go
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#44]
repair
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#45]
sounds like you got fired and you're not telling the whole story
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you were laid off you need to use your unemployment insurance asap.  It was taken out of your pay don't let pride screw you.
View Quote

Exactly this.

It's mind boggling how many people think you're lazy and on the dole when you collect unemployment which you and your employer paid for
in the first place and you had to actually have had a job to qualify for it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm already a follower of Dave Ramsey. I have almost 0 debt. I put gas on a couple credit cards each month and pay it off. Never paid a cent of interest. Been doing that for quite awhile now. The Tahoe isn't going to be worth more than i paid for it.i bought it straight cash and put 4k into repairs. I could probably get a bit out of it more than i paid. If it comes down to it I'll sell it and get a real cheap beater.

I don't want the company and owners getting flak. They're good people and have treated me well over the years. The owner handed me my last paycheck and included an extra weeks worth of pay in it that i won't have to work for.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of us GD millionaires don't hate Dave - we're just disappointed he doesn't know the difference between debt and credit and conflates the two as "da debil".

It is true that most of America doesn't seem responsible enough to not use credit to get into debt, so Dave still provides valuable service to the economy as a whole.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#49]
It is going to turn into a real fuck story.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am good.

View Quote

Stimmy checks and depression will keep you going.

I did read the stripper index has gone negative (empty clubs, no makin it rain) so I do think FJB depression is coming
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top