User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 5/26/2022 6:06:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So it sounds like the local cops claim part of the problem is they claim they couldn't locate a key. Regardless of whether there's more to the story is breaching a door really a task beyond a regular patrol officer?

I thought about it because I know a police officer who lost of the tip of a finger when he accidentally got his finger between a battering ram and a door. Great police officer, accidents happen. But the point is the old Smallville, NY cops back home used to breach doors and they were regular old small town cops. I only remember being aware of the ram being used when there was a warrant though so I assume it was in a closet at the police station most of the time, not in a car trunk.

If I had to get into a door I'm confident I could do it with a sledge hammer. At least unrelated to needing a team of riflemen to cover you and then enter and clear the room.

There used to be a TV show where men competed at various "tactical stuff" and one of them was breaching doors by mule kicking, using a sledge and, I think, a ram.
View Quote

They could have gotten in, they certainly had the tools.

For some reason I can't fathom, they just thought it best not to
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They could have gotten in, they certainly had the tools.

For some reason I can't fathom, they just thought it best not to
View Quote

This.  There are ways to open pretty much anything that do not need specific tools.  If they couldn't figure it out they could have run down the block to the Tractor supply and found an old farmer.  He could have figured out a plan to open or tear the door off in about 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the door.

If its a "hardened" door, ya probably are not kicking it in.   If its a well done hardened door, you might well struggle even with a basic battering ram.  

If its like the door on a typical rent home in Shitsville, yeah, far, far easier to kick in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The windows seem to negate the door as an obstacle in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
After an incident with my mom being unconscious and behind a locked door at her home, I bought demolition tools to breach doors from Lowes.
Basically a good quality wrecking bar and or big ass sledge will serve "most" individuals in case of an emergency.

Commercial type doors may be a different story.

Edit to add:
In to learn more about door breaching from those with experience.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Vehicles make great breaching tools......
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends on the door.

If its a "hardened" door, ya probably are not kicking it in.   If its a well done hardened door, you might well struggle even with a basic battering ram.  

If its like the door on a typical rent home in Shitsville, yeah, far, far easier to kick in.
View Quote

Is it an inward or outward door?
Up north, exterior doors open in and down here open out.
What was the class room door?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Gonna need something more substantial than BudK shurikens and fantasy knives OP.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Nevermind... i will shut up...
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here.  My Tahoe will breach a fucking door in no time flat in an Active Shooter situation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It is one of the unintended consequences of hardening schools. If the classroom door is easy for a cop to just kick in, then it's easy for a nut job to kick in.
Doesn't justify the complete inaction.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Jesus. Monday morning quarterback commandos.

Has anyone been to the school? Was it a fire rated door? Metal frame? Did it open in or out?

I'm sure all of GD would have just picked the lock with their EDC items though
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hurricane Impact Window Test
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've lived in the South almost 65 years and only storm doors/screen doors "open out".
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
We carry these on our fire trucks.  This exact model.  Pretty much standard equipment that makes commercial doors a breeze.  Rabbit tool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Except a 10 year old went out the window to escape so it wasn't locked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought all exterior doors in public buildings were supposed to open outward, for emergency egress reasons?

I seem to remember my school's classroom doors opening inward, though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Schools exterior doors on can range from commercial security or very hardened to an all glass 7/11 store type.

The newer the school the more likely a commercial security type.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
If the classroom door was up to standard no you are not getting in. That's the whole point. This has occurred several times in active shooter situations.

No, Rural patrol cops are not going to have breaching tools.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Has anyone been to the school? Was it a fire rated door? Metal frame? Did it open in or out?

View Quote

Wow, so in your "I'm so superior to everyone in GD" post you noted the same things earlier posters managed to note. Yet somehow they did it without the sneering condescension.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fail.

Elementary Kids came out 4ft tall windows by themselves fleeing.

If someone wanted in the school they could have been inside within 60 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We carry these on our fire trucks.  This exact model.  Pretty much standard equipment that makes commercial doors a breeze.  Rabbit tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43482/74E1D432-7AD6-4A08-8C83-EA49B26DF766_jpe-2398048.JPG
View Quote

Need a hell of a lot longer handle being staged blocks away!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43482/74E1D432-7AD6-4A08-8C83-EA49B26DF766_jpe-2398048.JPG

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Except a 10 year old went out the window to escape so it wasn't locked.
View Quote

I didn’t know that.  I’m just guessing with possibilities as to why  like everyone else.
Just kick it in or break the window isn’t always as easy as  first thought.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Without seeing the doors, it may be difficult to say. I carry a full breach kit and would not be happy doing a standard steel security door at the school. Doors are supposed to be autolatching and or locked. Glass is reinforced and the weakest point. Hopefully that is there to allow a breach and reaching in. All the new schools like brick, so it is more sturdy with the steel frame and door and a nightmare to get into.

Most cops don't carry breaching rounds. Most don't carry entry tools. Not knowing what is on the other side also eliminates the ability to use slugs to damage the latch/lock area.

On the other side, there are always weak doors. Shoddy craftsmanship still means there will be doors that you can enter easier and it may not be the door right in front of you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. My kids highschool has the old chicken wire glass on the little door window but the big exterior windows are just tempered glass that breaks like a passenger window in your car.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch!!!

At least FD has jumped in and realized they need to get in there on an active. It is only training for medical though and not doing entry, which we may need to reconsider.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Rapid Assault Tools HRP Hydraulic Door Breaching Kit Demonstration (Rabbit Tool / Jamb Spreader)
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I didn’t know that.  I’m just guessing with possibilities as to why  like everyone else.
Just kick it in or break the window isn’t always as easy as  first thought.
View Quote

Never breached one but I would think a few rounds of rifle fire through a corner followed by a crowbar connected to a tow strap would move something when attached to a SUV.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#30]
StrongArm Door Breach Demonstration
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#31]
We don't have rams in patrol cars. NOr do we have flashbangs, tear gas, shields or any of the fancy swat stuff that people have been suggesting we should have readily available.
They put halligan tools in our trunks 20-plus years ago thinking that we'd be using them at accident scenes.
I think I used mine once to smash out a windshield of a car that was on its side in a ditch.
Otherwise you're better off waiting for the FD and their Jaws gear as far as vehicle extraction.
Most school doors around here are those heavy things that are several inches thick. You're not kicking those in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Most doors in schools are solid wood doors with a steal frame and a decent loach.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Would not need to breach if they had planned accordingly PRIOR to this event.  Our area, all schools, apartment complexes, .gov buildings etc. have Knox Boxes where police and fire can gain entry.

https://www.knoxbox.com/
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.  There are ways to open pretty much anything that do not need specific tools.  If they couldn't figure it out they could have run down the block to the Tractor supply and found an old farmer.  He could have figured out a plan to open or tear the door off in about 10 seconds.
View Quote

LOL. No.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can attest to this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks! Probably a lot cheaper than Detasheet or Primasheet and useful for the silent entries.

But for patrol, way outside their normal wheelhouse.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#37]
You are not mule kicking a school door.  (But it works awesome on typical residences.)

A sledge does a lot, a breaching key is great, a halligan, basically anything can break glass and tear out the plastic layers if it is laminated, or safely clear out the remaining glass if not.

But as mentioned a patrol car thru the door works wonders.  As does just grabbing the door when someone is exiting.  Hell in a pinch a firearm will start a breach if you have to.  Good gloves are important to always have on you...

I carried a breaching 12 Gauge, a breaching key, a halligan tool, a sledge, and a few other things in my patrol ride.  It is called basic preparedness.  Some of my coworkers had zero idea how to effectively use any of them....  

And with some folks you can train, give them the tools, and tell them what to do, and when things happen they just go blank and it all goes out the window.  Guys stacking on the school when the should enter.  Guys forgetting to grab their rifle from the patrol car.  Someone wanting to set up a fucking perimeter like it is 1990....   etc.  (Those are all real examples on school shootings I responded to).  People who are mentally unprepared will have trouble, while those who seriously considered it might make mistakes but keep pushing on and finish the mission.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I thought all exterior doors in public buildings were supposed to open outward, for emergency egress reasons?

I seem to remember my school's classroom doors opening inward, though.
View Quote

I’ve never seen an exterior school door open inwards.

Classroom doors do so they don’t block the hallway.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This right here.  My Tahoe will breach a fucking door in no time flat in an Active Shooter situation.
View Quote

Hoe are you getting your Tahoe into the school hallway to get at the door?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Would not need to breach if they had planned accordingly PRIOR to this event.  Our area, all schools, apartment complexes, .gov buildings etc. have Knox Boxes where police and fire can gain entry.

https://www.knoxbox.com/
View Quote

Around here the knox boxes only have an exterior door key, not a key to every room in the building.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Through this whole thing, I've wondered If a breeching shotgun was a thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks! Probably a lot cheaper than Detasheet or Primasheet and useful for the silent entries.

But for patrol, way outside their normal wheelhouse.

View Quote

My point is most FD have these tools. If they wanted in, it was possible. And as mentioned Knox boxes. Hell, find the janitor he has keys.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We don't have rams in patrol cars. NOr do we have flashbangs, tear gas, shields or any of the fancy swat stuff that people have been suggesting we should have readily available.
They put halligan tools in our trunks 20-plus years ago thinking that we'd be using them at accident scenes.
I think I used mine once to smash out a windshield of a car that was on its side in a ditch.
Otherwise you're better off waiting for the FD and their Jaws gear as far as vehicle extraction.
Most school doors around here are those heavy things that are several inches thick. You're not kicking those in.
View Quote

All patrol folks need rams, shields, and basic breaching tools.  To pretend it is 25 years ago and to let people die due to lack of basic tools is ridiculous.  Some agencies seem stuck in the past...  

Fancy is a rescue saw or torch.  You don’t usually need fancy though, just enough to have some ability to make it happen.  

And your SWAT folks should have everything they use available when they are working.  Shit locked up in a bearcat is useless when things like this go down.  (Which I have seen happen at a school shooting as well...)
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've lived in the South almost 65 years and only storm doors/screen doors "open out".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And all commercial exterior doors.  Fire code requirement, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#45]
If your department isn't poor you could toss one of these in every car...

https://empi-inc.com/tec-torch/
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Come on, man!  It's a school, during school hours.  Principals, janitors, administrators... all have master keys.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Around here the knox boxes only have an exterior door key, not a key to every room in the building.
View Quote

I did our facility (commercial business) with Fire dept.
Inside is a hard master key and an electronic master key.

Hope they never need it though
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and no. It exists, but patrol is not going to have it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

All patrol folks need rams, shields, and basic breaching tools.  To pretend it is 25 years ago and to let people die due to lack of basic tools is ridiculous.  Some agencies seem stuck in the past...  

Fancy is a rescue saw or torch.  You don’t usually need fancy though, just enough to have some ability to make it happen.  

And your SWAT folks should have everything they use available when they are working.  Shit locked up in a bearcat is useless when things like this go down.  (Which I have seen happen at a school shooting as well...)
View Quote

Who's gonna pay for that? Where are they gonna put it? When I started 30+ years ago the patrol car trunks were huge, and all we carried in them were a box a flares and  a gallon of washer fluid. I could easily put a deer carcass or a recovered bicycle in the trunk with room to spare.
Then they started loading the trunks up with stuff, and the trunks got smaller.
The swat guys do carry a few things like 40 mm launchers, and they tend to be assigned to SUVs that have a little more storage space.
Right now the push is for us to go green and go to hybrid vehicles. I dont see them being able to carry any more gear than the ICE patrol cars.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of our 870s were converted to less lethals. We're not even allowed to carry anything other than bean bag rounds
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top