Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 5/20/2022 8:17:07 PM EDT
I've known a couple people, but one really sticks with me.  Let's call him "Duane".  We met through a mutual friend.  We didn't hit it off at first but you know how sometimes it takes a while to become friends.  He was a Marine Corps VN vet, served time in-country.  He liked to shoot, which we did quite often together.   Duane was married, had a couple kids, but he was a loner at heart.  Ended up divorced, and he bought a ramshackle place out in the desert to be, well, alone.  Friends could visit of course but we sorta lost touch after he moved.

He had a girlfriend out there who I never met.  According to the mutual friend, she was a crystal meth-o-dist.  Duane and her apparently had a spat of some sort at his place, and he left to cool off.  When he returned, she shot him in the chest with his own handgun - a Ruger Single Six .22 IIRC.  Claimed he beat her but I doubt it.

She was arrested, booked, and made bail.  A few days later she disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again.  Duane had friends in his little community of loners out in the desert (oxymoron alert: community of loners).  And the desert is a big, lonely place.  No telling what happened to her but there were rumors.  RIP "Duane."

ETA: I did not expect so many 'yes' answers to the OP question.  A lot of heartbreaking stories have been shared here.  I expected it from LEOs; after all, many of them see violence frequently as part of their jobs.  No surprise there.  The non-LEOs have been a surprise to me.  To all of you who have lost someone close due to violence, please accept my sincerest condolences.  I hope time will bring you some measure of peace and healing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
A few unfortunately

They ALL fell into the trap of doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was young, my friend's mother was shot point blank in the back of the head while standing in line at a 7-11.
Completely random.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
a few, one that was a victim of a home evasion.
Tied to a chair and throat cut.

Brought a girl home from a club and that with the help of her boyfriend set him up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
My old barber. Guy walked in and they had words over a woman and guy shot him right there in the shop. I know for a fact the barber kept a snub nose in his drawer he kept the money in but guy that came in was probably prepared and on a mission.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
No, but I knew a guy who killed his wife, chopped her up, put her in a suitcase and through her off Deception Pass...
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to high school with this guy, they made a 48 hrs episode about his murder.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-russel-douglas-murder-investigation/
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  Cousin worked as a night manager at a convenience store.  Was robbed and basically executed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've known a murderer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of friends.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
About 2 months ago a guy I went to high school with was murdered along with his wife. They were in their front yard on a Saturday afternoon when a random guy pulled up and shot both of them. Cops killed the guy who stayed there after the shooting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, a coworker.  Back in the early 1990s.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:23:34 PM EDT
    [#13]
    I dated a girl who was murdered a few years after we stopped seeing each other. Her current boyfriend killed her and dumped her body in the Mississippi/Minnesota River.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/09/man-sentenced-to-15-years-after-admitting-he-killed-girlfriend-in-2017-dumped-body-near-minnesota-river/
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:24:08 PM EDT
    [#14]
    Yep.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:24:35 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    I've known a murderer.
    View Quote

Two now that I think of it.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:24:49 PM EDT
    [#16]
    A distant aunt on my mom's side was murdered by her husband. He claimed that he was dozing off while leaned against the lawn mower with a rifle on the hood. Rifle "fell and went off." The cops believed him. Rural detectives from sheriff's offices here in Ohio, from what I've seen, aren't that smart.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:25:28 PM EDT
    [#17]
    one in particular comes to mind

sweet little waif worked for me as a waitress.

ex-husband burned down her house killing she and her infant child

on the other hand

high school friend was executed in Georgia - they had to buzz him three times to kill him.  Set his hair on fire.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:26:01 PM EDT
    [#18]
    My cousin, when she was 13, a suspected murder of my other cousin, shot on a hunting trip. Young lady that I knew from k-12, 4 months after we graduated high school. Our interpreter in Iraq, hellava nice guy.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:26:02 PM EDT
    [#19]
    At at High School party, I was about 20' away, .357 point blank to the face.

Few others, a friend's Dad was the victim of a political execution in Miami in the 80's. First funeral I ever went to. Family friend was killed in New Orleans, getting out of his car returning from their honeymoon, shot both of them, robbery, never caught whomever did it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:26:10 PM EDT
    [#20]
    Quoted:
    a few, one that was a victim of a home evasion.
    Tied to a chair and throat cut.
    View Quote

Worked with a dope head at the local grocery store in high school. I went in the service and came home on boot camp leave. Found out he has been found in a hunting cabin near my family’s property bound to a chair, fingers cut off, and his head blown off with a shotgun. Ruled suicide.

Unfortunately, I’ve known more suicides than murder victims.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:26:31 PM EDT
    [#21]
    Quoted:
    one in particular comes to mind

sweet little waif worked for me as a waitress.

ex-husband burned down her house killing she and her infant child

on the other hand

high school friend was executed in Georgia - they had to buzz him three times to kill him.  Set his hair on fire.
    https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/john_evans1-2391085.jpg
    View Quote

Third time's a charm.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:27:38 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Several people, and one murderer to my knowledge.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:27:51 PM EDT
    [#23]
    a few, mostly just known in passing that got mixed up in drugs and gangs. one stands out though he was very elderly and had dementia, bad. he didn't recognize his wife who had wandered off one night, who also had dementia and shot her they really had no business owning firearms, let alone living independently.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:02 PM EDT
    [#24]
    This guy married my best friend.
    Preacher killed by his wife

The truth is no where as boring as the public story.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:03 PM EDT
    [#25]
    A few as has been said. One was murdered in his mobile home with a knife and put up one hell of a fight....was a bad scene when PD showed.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:31 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Quoted:
    I've known a murderer.
    View Quote
    Yep
    Me too. She used to cut my hair!!

https://www.northernexpress.com/news/feature/article-4475-doubt-anne-avery-miller/
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:37 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Went to school with a guy shortly after school that killed someone after a bar fight. He went to prison and after a year or two got released and his conviction overturned due to the DA being a dipshit from what I read.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:57 PM EDT
    [#28]
    Really cute girl I liked was dating a mexican who shot her to death while sitting in his truck, took her body into his house, set the house on fire, then got on top of her and shot himself
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:29:15 PM EDT
    [#29]
    My sister. Victim of a serial killer.

Worked with a murderer back in the late 70s. Knew the guy was a bit off and always kept an eye on him. One day he did not show up for work. Turns out he had been arrested for a vicious murder of a local teen aged girl. Still in Walla Walla serving life.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:29:39 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Quoted:
    a few, mostly just known in passing that got mixed up in drugs and gangs. one stands out though he was very elderly and had dementia, bad. he didn't recognize his wife who had wandered off one night, who also had dementia and shot her they really had no business owning firearms, let alone living independently.
    View Quote

That's not really murder, it's just sad.  
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:29:58 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Not “murdered” per say with what I know, but when this happened it was fucked up

Guy I went to HS with in Maryland was in Ocean City, MD with some friends the summer after we graduated (1995) . Somehow one of them got jumped during the day for trying to hookup with someone’s gf, he (the guy that got jumped) made it back to where they were staying and told all his buds.

So three of them went out at night to look for the dudes that jumped the one friend, they only knew which hotel it was where the dudes were staying. All three were pretty drunk from partying as well.

Anyway they get to this hotel and start loudly banging in the doors, they can’t locate the guys they are looking to fight. Out comes this 60 year old man with a walking stick/cane and a robe…..he tells them to quiet down and leave. Well the guy I went to HS with loudly tells this old guy to STFU, at that point the old man pokes him with the cane, and at the same time lifts up a .22 rifle with his other arm and fires once, hitting him right in the heart, dead.

The guy that shot? The owner of the hotel…..was found not guilty of manslaughter. Man that was fucked up to my 18 yr old self, but knowing what I know now I just shake my head
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:30:47 PM EDT
    [#32]
    More or less, yes
    Guy I went to HS with, this happened a few years after HS.

Broke up with a girl, went to return her cat. Was beaten by her brothers with bats, then she dumped gas and set him on fire.

@InTheBurbs
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:34:05 PM EDT
    [#33]
    A Marine in my barracks at NAS Millington was murdered in Memphis.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:34:58 PM EDT
    [#34]
    1991, a year after our high school graduation, a good friend of mine asked me to get chicken wings one night.  I passed as I wasn’t in the mood so he asked his girlfriend to go with him, she did.  He was murdered in the parking lot of the restaurant as they exited the car.  My friend was murdered for $28.  

Joe was the nicest kid.  I mean, the nicest.  That one guy you were proud to call your friend.  I don’t think he wronged anyone, ever.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:35:46 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Not only do i know 8 people who committed suicide, well, 9 if you count my brother’s friend I only knew casually;

My best friend was shot & killed in a mass shooting when I was 12, he was 13.
    Cause of death: Ruger carbine in .44 magnum;

I went to middle school with a guy who would later become a “mass murderer,” killing 8 people, her was captured & deservedly got fatally shanked in prison;

And, a college friend who was a girl, a bright, pretty, sweet-souled brunette, was murdered in SC while staying with a friend.  Killer, never captured.

So, yea.

If you count trauma patients, which I don’t, even more.  Mostly MVAs, shootings, motorcycle crashes, falls, ATV accidents, snow mobile accidents, stabbings.

At least I don’t get called for poisonings, that is the brighter side of surgery.  Unless it’s acid or caustic poisoning….

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:36:13 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Had 2 friends murdered in separate incidences.

Senselessly too.  One in robbery and other shot my bud on a motorcycle at a stoplight for fun
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:38:28 PM EDT
    [#37]
    Great Uncle Burl was murdered in his gun shop by this piece of shit, they let him out and he tried to rob another.

https://www.abc57.com/news/police-catch-convicted-murderer-attempting-to-rob-granger-gun-shop
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:38:46 PM EDT
    [#38]
    I went to school with the son of a murderer.
    Mack Ray Edwards this guy molested and murdered at least six kids.
    I knew Mack Edwards's son he was a few grades ahead of me.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:38:49 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Serial killer, Christopher Wilder, the "Beauty Queen Killer", murdered a close friend's daughter on his murder spree (8) across the U.S. from Florida to Cali and back to New Hampshire to cross into Canada.  I saw the car he had abandoned near our house.

"On March 21, Wilder approached Terry Walden, a 23-year-old wife, mother, and nursing student, about posing as a model. She turned him down, but ran across him again two days later, March 23, and he kidnapped her then. Wilder stabbed her to death and dumped her body in a canal, where she was found on March 26. After killing Walden, Wilder fled in her rust-colored 1981 Mercury Cougar."

The got him.

"On April 13, Wilder stopped at Vic's Getty service station in Colebrook, New Hampshire to ask directions to Canada.[9] Two New Hampshire state troopers, Leo Jellison and Wayne Fortier, approached Wilder, who retreated to his car to arm himself with a Colt Python .357 Magnum.[16] Jellison was able to grab Wilder from behind and in the scuffle, two shots were fired. The first bullet hit Wilder and exited through his back and into Jellison. The second bullet hit Wilder in the chest. Wilder died; Jellison was seriously wounded, but recovered and returned to full duty."

I have it from good sources that when the troopers recognized him, he wasn't going anywhere.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:38:58 PM EDT
    [#40]
    A girl I was friends with in high school disappeared then found a month later. It was about 15 years before they got the ex boyfriend for the murder. Several people since then but due their life choices it could also be considered natural causes.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:39:16 PM EDT
    [#41]
    Yes
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:39:52 PM EDT
    [#42]
    My dad was killed by a drunk driver at 2 in the afternoon. Bright sunny day the drunk target fixated on dad and drove diagonal across 3 lanes to hit him. Dad by the same token killed a few people. He was a D-Day and Market Garden get. He also fought for Israel and the CIA in the 50's . He also killed a guy one night bringing me home from the boyscouts.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:40:13 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Last August a girl I dated for six months was strangled by her boyfriend and then he drowned her 10 year old daughter in the bathtub. Tragic and it bothers me every day. Sweetest two people you could ever meet.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:42:23 PM EDT
    [#44]
    My Brother in Law.  My sister had dumped him for an old HS fling.  
    Early one morning he is going to work.  Finds a tire flat on his car.  While changing the tire he is attacked, stabbed and beat to death by two assholes.  Seems they punctured the tire so they could ambush him.  One of the assholes is evidently the ex of the gal my brother in law is dating.

They were eventually caught.  Got 2 years for manslaughter.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:42:55 PM EDT
    [#45]
    Yep, a college professor. He was murdered in his home over some Gay for drugs deal gone bad.

In his obituary they tried to spin it in a better light but…yeah
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:43:14 PM EDT
    [#46]
    No. But my childhood friend's dad went mental and shot his neighbor to death. Another classmate went on having a criminal record and was killed during a prison break.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:44:45 PM EDT
    [#47]
    my buddy from grade school killed a guy
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:45:00 PM EDT
    [#48]
    My ex husband's girlfriend.  He killed her. Backed over her and ran over her head twice when she ran behind his car trying to force him to stay after an argument. I doged a bullet, but also am not dumb enough to try and stop someone from leaving in a car.
    Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:45:31 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Yes. High school friend's mom was murdered by her husband. 1998. Last I heard he's already out of prison. I didn't know her that well, but saw her at church from time to time.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:46:08 PM EDT
    [#50]
    My brother
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 10
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top