Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2022 9:38:27 AM EDT
On the book of faces, my feed is littered with people talking about this hitting them over the past two days.  The first good heat wave usually wipes out the weak capacitors that bulged over the winter.

Do you keep a spare compressor capacitor for your AC units units?

Because you should.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Start cap will be your most common issue. Always keep a spare.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in my day, we used to crank start the motors by hand
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Start cap will be your most common issue. Always keep a spare.
View Quote
Spare contactor never hurt either.
Quoted:
View Quote
Ive used a long screwdriver to give a good flick.

Most DMMs have a capacitor reading function.  It's worth the 10min to check them rather than wait until they die. If they test more than 10% under the nameplate value It's time to start thinking replacement.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have an AmRad Turbo 200 on my shelf, so it can be adapted into whatever unit needs it.  I've gotten over 5 years on the one in my 3.5ton heat pump so far.  I've advanced my spare to friends and family in a pinch and told them to either order a replacement sent to me or just give me $65 for it so I can order it myself.  

By having them order it, the hope is that they see how easy it is to be prepared for next time on their own.  (They can even get them on Amazon, but usually not the cheapest price).
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine went out a couple weeks ago.  Had a spare on hand and got it swapped out and ordered a new spare the same day.  No reason not to have a spare on hand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
They are good to keep on hand, if they keep failing either your compressor or condenser fan motor is likely on it's way out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, I keep a spare Turbo 200X on hand, because both Murphy and thermodynamics indicate that it'll die at 6pm on the hottest Saturday of the year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I keep an extra for the one in my machine shed, it seems to go every year or two and the last time it happened I had to pay $55 at the local store for one (was like $15 shipped online but didn't want to wait).

That reminds me I need to get in there and clear out the winter mouse nests that are almost certainly built back up again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad's burned out a contactor block on the inside unit. Dad knows how how to work on it and has replaced dozens of them, but he didn't have time to fool with it and called a repairman.

$1400 fucking dollars!!!

He got double teamed without lube.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine went out a couple weeks ago.  Had a spare on hand and got it swapped out and ordered a new spare the same day.  No reason not to have a spare on hand.
View Quote

In this day and age of biden shortages, I'm not so sure about that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I do, but will order another.   Damn good PSA!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Nasty recent thunderstorm with lots of power surges got my fan motor and compressor capacitor.
Replaced motor and capacitor, compressor capacitor, contactor, and installed a hard start kit while I was in there.
Running like a champ.
Pic of fried fan motor:
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#13]
When I bought my current house, the inspector noted that something wasn't quite right with the HVAC operation and recommended an HVAC tech investigate further.  I decided to look myself first, and I found the start capacitor in the air handler was asploded.  $12 fix.  I bought two, so I'd have a spare if it happened again.  I kept it in the shipping box and left it right next to the air handler, so I wouldn't lose it in my workshop.

They're cheap, and I'd rather be able to fix it in ten minutes than just hope a local shop has the model I need in stock or to wait 2-3 days for one to be delivered, especially in July.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bought spares for $15 on Amazon.
Same brand and model as my HVAC provider carries on their truck.  They charge $145.00 !

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bought spares for $15 on Amazon.
Same brand and model as my HVAC provider carries on their truck.  They charge $145.00 !

View Quote

Yeah, but that includes labor, diagnosis, the cost of rolling a truck, etc.

It pays to be a little handy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Also make sure you are yearly cleaning the outdoor coil. Dirty coils cause higher than normal head pressure. Which can put a more than normal load on the run caps. Plus a dirty coil is worth about a 10% decrease in operational efficiency.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I should have gotten a spares last year but didn't.

Will get them this week, thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spare contactor never hurt either.
Ive used a long screwdriver to give a good flick.

Most DMMs have a capacitor reading function.  It's worth the 10min to check them rather than wait until they die. If they test more than 10% under the nameplate value It's time to start thinking replacement.
View Quote

Start capacitors are just big electrolytics right?  Don't they generally fail the other way with capacitance going up?  At least that's what I usually see with smaller ones.

I'd bet that a start capacitor with 10% under the rated value is completely in spec, and is probably perfectly healthy.  Actually, I'd be surprised if a start capacitor would have tighter tolerances than +or- 20% anyway.

I don't think most people will have the kind of equipment on hand to test a capacitor for health, if a problem isn't already showing up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Turbo caps FTW
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Electric voltage spikes play hell on the insulated barrier material in capacitors. Keep spares, they are cheap.

Another precaution is spray ant poison around the compartment that holds the AC unit's controls if you live in fire ant territory. Leave the power off and let it dry.  When i used to do service calls, four of those had contactor failures due to fire ants. Fire ants must be attracted to them for some odd reason. Opened the panels and they had red beards made of dead fire ants.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Start capacitors are just big electrolytics right?  Don't they generally fail the other way with capacitance going up?  At least that's what I usually see with smaller ones.

I'd bet that a start capacitor with 10% under the rated value is completely in spec, and is probably perfectly healthy.  Actually, I'd be surprised if a start capacitor would have tighter tolerances than +or- 20% anyway.

I don't think most people will have the kind of equipment on hand to test a capacitor for health, if a problem isn't already showing up.
View Quote

Every run capacitor I've needed to replace for myself or someone else has had low or no capacity when tested.  Dielectric breakdown has been the failure mode, with the zero capacity ones measuring a short circuit as well.  That includes the bulged ones as well as the ones with no externally visible symptoms other than failure to start / run the motors.

Under no circumstances have I measured any of those capacitors to be above the labeled tolerance, only below.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My Dad's burned out a contactor block on the inside unit. Dad knows how how to work on it and has replaced dozens of them, but he didn't have time to fool with it and called a repairman.

$1400 fucking dollars!!!

View Quote

Crooked assed repairment are a thing. Went over to my BIL's house years ago.. A 3 ton Copeland compressor was sitting on board. I inquire. He said his repairman said the compressor was locked up. Just for giggles, i ohmed it out. Looked good on the meter. The old cap and contactor were in the garbage. Cap was dirty, but good. Contactor was burned open. I wired up the compressor to the cap and she fired up. Even puked oil on his work bench.   Fucker ripped him off. All that was bad was the contactor. In those days, that was a $15 part.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
There was a post a month or so ago about this.  Read the four pages and learned things.  Two days later, my handler was running for a while and it wasn’t getting any cooler.   Checked the outside fan like the thread said, and what do you know?  It wasn’t running.  Watched a few videos, went to the local supply house and bought two US made capacitors ($21 a piece).  Took me less than ten minutes to replace and works like a charm.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Power surges caused by lightning are hell on capacitors.
If you're in a lightning-prone area, spares are an especially a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
After a lighting strike our business go’s bonkers for a week
Caps are just one thing lighting loves to toast

Caps are cheap, my service call is expensive
So is my one hour min labor

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#26]
As luck would have it, I have a spare capacitor for my compressor but not for the blower motor. Guess which one failed Friday night?  I pulled enough sheet metal off it to give the squirrel cage a spin to get it going, left it in "Fan On" mode over the weekend. I ordered a new capacitor from McMaster-Carr but it has to come from Chicago so I won't have it until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got 2 spare caps. I need to find an evap coil that won't leak after 2 years. Cheap aluminum shit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've got 2 spare caps. I need to find an evap coil that won't leak after 2 years. Cheap aluminum shit.
View Quote

Lennox?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Everybody gets shitty China-Caps now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I suggest using modern AC’s that don’t use run capacitors.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Cheap China made capacitors did this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cheap China made capacitors did this.
View Quote

The 2 I just replaced were 1-2yrs old and American made.
Lightening storms that cause power outages and surges don't give a rats ass where your capacitor was made.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't forget an extra contactor switch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I said F it and had an entirely new unit put in on Friday.  14 seer, 3-ton.  Last unit was 20+ years old.  

Mine was NOT the capacitor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

$1400 fucking dollars!!!

View Quote

I had it almost as bad with my mom's AC last year. It happened about 4 on a Friday afternoon going into the hottest stretch of weather we had. I determined immediately it was a capacitor and pulled it. Unfortunately I couldn't find one in town before all the parts shops shut down early on Saturday.

I called the outfit that installed the HVAC, who was supposedly friends with my dad. They came out Saturday and replaced the cap I'd already removed,  checked the freon which was fine and washed out the AC unit coils.

$390.

Not only would I not recommend him,  I wouldn't piss up his ass if his guts were on fire.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, mine has a VFD, no start/run capacitors.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#37]
The capacitor went out on one of our units a few months ago on a Saturday.   Checked the big box stores and they didn't carry one.   Ordered on Amazon at 4pm on a Saturday and had it by 1pm Sunday.   5min fix and it was back to blowing cold.  Got really lucky.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The capacitor went out on one of our units a few months ago on a Saturday.   Checked the big box stores and they didn't carry one.   Ordered on Amazon at 4pm on a Saturday and had it by 1pm Sunday.   5min fix and it was back to blowing cold.  Got really lucky.
View Quote

As much as I hate Amazon, prime shipping on parts like this has bailed out more than once in the last few years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes let's just rip out our perfectly working AC units that may need a $50-$100 part here and there for one that is $$$$$
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I have several spare parts for my AC.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I have an oddball sized huge one. I have spare also.

Wisdom
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Yep have both Amrad start and run capacitors as backups.

To damn hot in Houston to not have them during the summer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
On the book of faces, my feed is littered with people talking about this hitting them over the past two days.  The first good heat wave usually wipes out the weak capacitors that bulged over the winter.

Do you keep a spare compressor capacitor for your AC units units?

Because you should.
View Quote

Yep, several, plus motors, plus contactors, plus fan control boards,  plus transformers.  All cheap on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

$1400 fucking dollars!!!

View Quote

He must make a lot of money to have not had time to save 1400$
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The 2 I just replaced were 1-2yrs old and American made.
Lightening storms that cause power outages and surges don't give a rats ass where your capacitor was made.
View Quote

That is definitely true. I’ve had 3 pop in the last 5 years due to nearby lightning strikes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Got a van full of capacitors, contactors and relays as I am the asshole that will come to your aid when it's 100* on the 4th of July.  You'll think of the $145 normal rate for diag and repair as a fucking treat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I keep a couple around, and a contactor set.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

How'd you get inside the compressor to do that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Happened to me today
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How'd you get inside the compressor to do that?
View Quote

There are open drive compressors, your automobile would be one example that you would easily recognize.

Also sometimes with  fan motors with bad cap you should be able to spin it by hand to get it started.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top