BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/24/2022 4:48:05 PM EDT
https://stocks.apple.com/AA7O33vjaTY2lKgm2AHHYDA

Not surprised.

“Auto maker says demand for new truck has surged and it has hit limit on what it can build”

I guess good on ford for building something cheap but it seems it’s just not a realistic price point in todays market.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean, I'm sure they had a max number going in. They hit it and closed pre-orders. Nothing new, from any mfr.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Aaaand now every Maverick on every lot in the country just got a $5k sticker bump....
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, fuck affordable transportation.  I wanna pay 60k for a fucking Kia.  No offense.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Things are not good for this economy.

There are a lot of people struggling to make ends meet.   A new vehicle comes along that is affordable and now you can't get it and like a previous posters says....it will become more expensive
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Well shit

I am/was considering a Maverick this summer

Time to replace the Ranger I think

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]
New Ford Maverick

MSRP: 20,000 27,000 35,000
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
"Can't" make it cause those parts are going into vehicles that cost 3 times the amount of the Maverick
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
When will they realize this is exactly what the market wants? I just want a reliable car that will last. Radio would be nice, a/c is a plus, but Since I can drive I don’t need automatic breaking or lane assist or any of the other BS that comes standard these days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Just paid $13k for 19 Ford Fiesta for my daughter with 50k miles and felt lucky to get it.

Saw all kinds of small cars with 100k+ plus miles for $10k+.

Looked at small new cars, about $20k for a new Kia Rio or $16k for a Chevy Spark with a 3 cylinder engine that Car and Driver doesn't recommend driving on the highway. Essentially, go carts.

A $20k pickup truck, if they can really do it for that price, yeah, no wonder it sold like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When will they realize this is exactly what the market wants? I just want a reliable car that will last. Radio would be nice, a/c is a plus, but Since I can drive I don’t need automatic breaking or lane assist or any of the other BS that comes standard these days.
View Quote

Which is why I bought a base model ranger. I want an engine, trans, 4wd. That's it. I only wished for roll up windows and manual locks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
A maverick with a real 4wd drive system would be better, even being unibody.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure chicks and lesbians all over the country are angry!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
This $20k pickup isn't really $20k, even before dealer markups. It's really, really easy to option it beyond $30k sticker, which I suspect most buyers will do. People say they want a basic truck with roll up windows and bench seats, yet nobody actually buys those.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the maverick front wheel drive? Or am I misremembering?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

With AWD as an option, yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ac/radio and can do 70mph with 2 people and 250lbs of cargo would be nice.

I ran around in a 79 Plymouth Arrow pickup truck in most of college. The AC died somewhere along the way, but the radio still worked. Got a lot of work out of that thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My 72 year old father has been dragging ass on wanting to replace his 2013 Tacoma prerunner.

He keeps scoffing at the 5-10k dollar dealer mark ups saying he can wait.

I keep telling him those proces are just a preview of the next MSRP when this shortage shit is over.

He just recently saw a Maverick on the road and was talking to me asking about them.   I told him they are closer to the Rangers we had in the 90s in terms of size/stance but I am 95% sure they are more of a unibody Ranchero/ElCamino kind of vehicle.

More car like with a small pickup bed.    I asked him just what exactly is he doing with his Tacoma that a Maverick couldnt do.   He didnt have an answer.

I asllked him of he has priced out the Mavericks to see if it is worth it.   Sub 30k for a "truck" versus the stupid prices of a Ranger or a Tacoma.

It might just have worked but I guess he will get to wait aroud another year or so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The $20k one is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Good for them.

They took a gamble in designing and producing it, and it's paying off bigly for them.

It's like the Model T all over again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen two of them recently, a base looking one with steel wheels and one a little more optioned out.  I had no idea that they were on sale yet, much less that the demand was so high.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not surprised.

“Auto maker says demand for new truck has surged and it has hit limit on what it can build”

I guess good on ford for building something cheap but it seems it’s just not a realistic price point in todays market.
View Quote

Hyundai will still accept orders and provide a 100k warranty to boot for a mini truck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sure chicks and lesbians all over the country are angry!
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.

That is NOT what the market wants.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I have not even seen a maverick in person. I work security at a large Ford dealership in my off time and they have gotten none in at all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This $20k pickup isn't really $20k, even before dealer markups. It's really, really easy to option it beyond $30k sticker, which I suspect most buyers will do. People say they want a basic truck with roll up windows and bench seats, yet nobody actually buys those.
View Quote

Driving a 2018 F150 5.0 with roll ups and a half bench regular seat thing going on. Vinyl floors too.  
Got it with 0 miles for under $30k back before things got all retarded
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
This would be a great starter truck for young people.

Too bad everything is priced ridiculously now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
New Ford Maverick

MSRP: 20,000 27,000 35,000
View Quote

Or they could just build a car with an ecu, ABS / stability control, and MAYBE an bcm strictly for airbags. Strictly only put in what's required and not one chip more. So we'd have to give up the infotainment and map in the dashboard.

People might even be a little less  distracted on the road ...

naaah. Never happen. Those data-streams from your car as you drive are too lucrative. They'll keep making the things worse than the adult pacifier - pocket snitches.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I was watching a presentation by afford engineer a few years ago. When he opened up the floor to questions, you guessed it, everyone raised  their hands and started giving their advice on all the stupid products that Ford needed to either make or bring back. At some point he cut this off and said “Ford motor company is not in business to make cars. Ford motor company is in business to make money.” I would rather have them cut off production of a non-profitable vehicle in order to focus on more profitable models than jacked the price of the maverick. The buyers will still be there when things calm down.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This would be a great starter truck for young people.

Too bad everything is priced ridiculously now.
View Quote

It's almost like the powers that be want to people to have less personal mobility or some such...
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Driving a 2018 F150 5.0 with roll ups and a half bench regular seat thing going on. Vinyl floors too.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long was that sitting on the lot before the dealer unloaded it because literally nobody else wanted it? Simple fact is basic trucks don't sell, cherry picked one offs aside.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I was told that the people on here wanting single cab manual window trucks were a minority and no automaker would ever have enough demand to make them.

Huh. Looks like demand actually outpaced supply. Imagine that
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't realize there was such a demand for a Ford fwd cvt "pickup".
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve seen one in the wild.
It’s a simple four door pickup that wouldn’t haul much but is perfect for my needs.  

Ford has a winner.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hyundai will still accept orders and provide a 100k warranty to boot for a mini truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised.

It's more expensive and MSRP $35k if you want an engine that can match the 2.0L ecoboost in the maverick.

The Maverick requires the $3k+ AWD option if you want to get the towing package. Maybe the front drivetrain components can't handle the extra stress from towing on their own?

Most people buying these probably don't need AWD, but may want the extra towing capacity and/or beefed up cooling system.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd love to see a KIA version with a little less bling and a lower sticker.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#36]
They are all $45k everywhere.

Marked you double MSRP.

I’ll drive my 2009 Tundra another couple years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Im in the process of ordering one now, not sure I can get it in before this cutoff.  Going with the base model with ecoboost and awd, the hybrid and ford electronics scares me, gonna use it to bang around in when I dont need the super duty, will hand off to my son in a few yrs.  Figured these little things will be 40k by then
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad they're building a budget friendly "truck."  

It won't cover what I'm looking for in a truck, but should work for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How long was that sitting on the lot before the dealer unloaded it because literally nobody else wanted it? Simple fact is basic trucks don't sell, cherry picked one offs aside.
View Quote

Not arguing against your point. Most people do want all the flashy gizmos, heated seats, and self driving things. Merely adding that there's is at least 1 more than "literally nobody" who just needed a simple truck for simple truck things.
Tacking on an extra $30,000 for stuff i might like but don't need wasn't worth it for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Aaaand now every Maverick on every lot in the country just got a $5k sticker bump....
View Quote

You spelled 10 thousand wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't get things like lockers or a 120v outlet without going up a trim line or two.  Bronco is the closest to being able to option a base level where I want, but they still have the same issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#42]
This is my brother's ordered June 17th and arrived at the dealer last Thursday, the 20th.

Attachment Attached File

This is an Area 51 one at the same dealer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I love a basic 2 door, regular cab, rubber floor mat, window hand crank, pickup with an economical engine.  Prefer full size with a 6-cylinder.  Due to age, I'll take a radio, A/C, and automatic tranny.

Makes a wonderful yard truck or spare vehicle.  I had a 2003 Silverado that I bought in 2006 and gave to step-daughter in 2019 because she needed a vehicle.  Her boyfriend trashed it in two weeks.  Broke my heart, but taught me a valuable lesson.

My DD is a 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost bought in 2019 for $45k at 17k miles.  I still wish I had the '03 Silverado as a spare vehicle.  Plain Jane trucks don't go bad very quickly when sitting for long periods.  Lavishly equipped vehicles do.  Electric window and seat switches go bad.

So yes.  There are some people that want a stripped down truck.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#44]
The price just doubled on everyone out there not sold.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was told that the people on here wanting single cab manual window trucks were a minority and no automaker would ever have enough demand to make them.

Huh. Looks like demand actually outpaced supply. Imagine that
View Quote

The Maverick is none of that.

Single cab, manual windows and locks don’t sell.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is my brother's ordered June 17th and arrived at the dealer last Thursday, the 20th.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122/Tom_s_JPG-2253167.JPG

This is an Area 51 one at the same dealer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122/Area_51_JPG-2253168.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122/Area_51_sticker_JPG-2253169.JPG
View Quote

And there we go. Actual sticker from a purchase is $36.5k, not $20k.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Thought about one of those.  Built on the Escape platform, complete with self destructing transmissions.  Went elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love a basic 2 door, regular cab, rubber floor mat, window hand crank, pickup with an economical engine.  Prefer full size with a 6-cylinder.  Due to age, I'll take a radio, A/C, and automatic tranny.

Makes a wonderful yard truck or spare vehicle.  I had a 2003 Silverado that I bought in 2006 and gave to step-daughter in 2019 because she needed a vehicle.  Her boyfriend trashed it in two weeks.  Broke my heart, but taught me a valuable lesson.

My DD is a 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost bought in 2019 for $45k at 17k miles.  I still wish I had the '03 Silverado as a spare vehicle.  Plain Jane trucks don't go bad very quickly when sitting for long periods.  Lavishly equipped vehicles do.  Electric window and seat switches go bad.

So yes.  There are some people that want a stripped down truck.  
View Quote

Dozens of them.  Maybe even a hundred.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Paywall
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#50]
My future hybrid XLT with a few upgrades MSRP is $24.5k. Dealer price is 4% below invoice. Won't have final otd price until I get it, but I'm happy with whatever it ends up being.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top