Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2022 8:47:02 PM EDT
Looking for Shell Rotella T6 in 15W-40 x 3 Gallons and it seems to be scarce. So for 2020+ GMC diesel shit trucks, what are you using in yours?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
P66 / Kendall  DXA / Guardal 15-40

My oil supplier has lots.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
We're out of Rotella at the local Walmart here, too.

I'll just Delvac if I can find it. I'm due for an oil change, and this shortage business sucks!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Delvac 1300 is all I ever use in the Duramax.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Motorcraft in my 2017 6.7 Powerstroke.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]

(Yes I’m here. Just enjoying the posts for the moment.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
2021 gmc sierra 2500 duramax
just use what the manufacturer calls for
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Mobil 1 turbo diesel or the Mobil 1 delvac ESP.

Both are full synthetic.

Used it for 10 years in my 2010 duramax, and now in my 2020 duramax.

For a few extra dollars, its worth it, especially with longer drain intervals. Mobil runs a special rebate every year which brings it down to the same price as conventional oil.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking for Shell Rotella T6 in 15W-40 x 3 Gallons and it seems to be scarce.
View Quote

Get a barcode or sku and search online to find where it's in stock.

It would "seem" to be the easiest way for "looking".

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/animal-house-381908.jpg

View Quote

I bought up all the t6 and motorcraft I could find due to your posts a long way back.  Hope it’s enough to get me through

Edit, apparently some WMs around here say they have it for shipping but there’s none on the shelves
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Mobil 1 or Amsoil - Amsoil is easier to acquire at the moment though .
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
15W-40 Delvac. Bought online from Costco, good price for a case of 4 gallons.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Because I've read Foxtrot's posts over the last year, I now have enough heavy duty diesel engine oil and other fluids to last me three years. It's a free feature at Arf.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Whatever the ford dealer has, that they use when they change the oil?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#15]
freee post
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#16]
15-40 Rotella T6. I get it at Wal Mart in 2.5 gallon jugs. Picked some up last time I was down in FL.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Didn’t want to mess with it on my own so I took my Cummins to a buddy’s shop and said to find T6 or equivalent. Said all he could find was Fram oil, I’ll be draining that crap out as soon as I find a worthy replacement.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn’t want to mess with it on my own so I took my Cummins to a buddy’s shop and said to find T6 or equivalent. Said all he could find was Fram oil, I’ll be draining that crap out as soon as I find a worthy replacement.
View Quote

I usually buy Rotella T6 5/40 but local availability is zilch right now. I bought some Delvac 1300 15/40 semi-synthetic to get by. Local parts house has the Fram full-synthetic 5/40, so I bought some.

Did some research on the "Fram" oil. It's packaged by Amalie Oil, which probably does other private label lube products. It appears to meet all of the usual specs so I would not call it "crap". Did not find any negative comments online. @foxtrot may have more info and I would respect his opinion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because I've read Foxtrot's posts over the last year, I now have enough heavy duty diesel engine oil and other fluids to last me three years. It's a free feature at Arf.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's kinda scary. Dealerships buy bulk oil, probably as cheap as possible, and may or may not have a separate tank/dispenser for diesel oil.

Gas engine; probably "good enough". Diesel; I'd be asking some questions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
P66 / Kendall  DXA / Guardal 15-40

My oil supplier has lots.
View Quote

If I remember correctly this is the answer @Foxtrot08 gave last thread.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Still working through the Amsoil I bought before the price hike.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Filters are a shit show too, better stock up on those.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#24]
From what I have researched it's all garbage, at least whatever you can buy at your average retail place. Much of the zinc was removed starting in about 2015.
  I've got a rebuilt 5.9 12valve with an aftermarket  performance camshaft that I have not fired up yet. It's still waiting for my order of "offroad" break-in oil and subsequent nonhighway use oil.
FU×K THE EPA, along with every other govt alphabet agency.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeag we have been running into this at the shop.
Can't seem to get shit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The post about zinc is right I think.  I used to use t6, but the formulation changed.  There is actually some type of technical bulletin from ford that states this.  Because of the new formulations, Ford made their new full synthetic diesel oil with the correct amount of zinc? Or just a dealer trick?  2022 ford f450 haven't done first oil change, really want fox8 to chime in with some chemistry industry good knowledge...
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From what I have researched it's all garbage, at least whatever you can buy at your average retail place. Much of the zinc was removed starting in about 2015.
  I've got a rebuilt 5.9 12valve with an aftermarket  performance camshaft that I have not fired up yet. It's still waiting for my order of "offroad" break-in oil and subsequent nonhighway use oil.
View Quote

Dude it's a 12v... oil is optional.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The post about zinc is right I think.  I used to use t6, but the formulation changed.  There is actually some type of technical bulletin from ford that states this.  Because of the new formulations, Ford made their new full synthetic diesel oil with the correct amount of zinc? Or just a dealer trick?  2022 ford f450 haven't done first oil change, really want fox8 to chime in with some chemistry industry good knowledge...
View Quote

I’ll post some stuff when I’m done feeding cows and some farm chores.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I use Rotella T5 in the Powerstroke- based on how it reacted when changing from conventional (previous owner) to synth blend I’d rather not have a meltdown just change it every 5K

Thanks to Foxtrot08 I must have about 6 gallons now, a couple oil filters, and a set of fuel filters (got another 10K before change).
Buying here and there as the budget allows.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I usually buy Rotella T6 5/40 but local availability is zilch right now. I bought some Delvac 1300 15/40 semi-synthetic to get by. Local parts house has the Fram full-synthetic 5/40, so I bought some.

Did some research on the "Fram" oil. It's packaged by Amalie Oil, which probably does other private label lube products. It appears to meet all of the usual specs so I would not call it "crap". Did not find any negative comments online. @foxtrot may have more info and I would respect his opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amalie is an extremely large private label manufacturer. Probably the second largest in the US. Although they could be tied for first with Warren. They operate outside of my market, but we have some mutual friends.  They’re good people from what I’ve heard.  

I also do believe they do contract blending and bottling for the major oil companies.  As the majors don’t always do their own, regionally. Or they contract out what they don’t have the capacity to do. For example I have the Honda contract for a lot of packaging. 4-5 truck loads a week.  Not enough for p66 to do in house, too small of a run. So they sub it out to me.

Amalie also does a lot of export stuff. As that’s why they have a facility on the water.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re hitting the target. Just not the bullseye.

When CK4 / FA4 came out, specs changed. This was 3-4 years ago now.

Some oils went the “universal” oil route - meaning they could carry the API SN (gasoline spec) and the CK4 (diesel) spec.  To do this, they had to be below 800ppm of ZDDP, otherwise they would be disqualified for CK4.

The only oil that actively does that is Chevron Delo is low zinc. 800ppm or lower.

Shell at first, went that way.  Right when CK4 came out, T6 was a lower ZDDP oil.  However they quickly changed their formulation for Rotella and got the ford spec for it.

After that, there was the whole Mobil and Shell purse swinging event.  Where Shell claimed Mobil delvac 1300 didn’t meet spec.  And Mobil claimed Rotella T4 didn’t meet spec.

The reality is: Both are garbage. But both meet spec 8 out of 10 times.  

News at 11.

The purse swinging has since stopped. Because they both use additive from the same supplier.  That they fucking joint own. So, go ahead and bash each other. They’re both shit products.

T6 is a different story. It’s good enough.

As always, I recommend P66 products. But they’ve been hurt by lubrizols product availability. A lot.  So it’s hard to get. Motorcraft recently had a new product come out as a replacement formulation for the former MC 15w40 and 10w30. I’ll have that in stock next week. I think I know who’s it is, but I need to verify first.

Motorcraft products are fine.

If I had my choice, I’d run Kendall D-XA 10w30. But I don’t even have that in stock.  So I’ve been using Citgo C700 10w30 in all my newer trucks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

this is exactly why I come in to these too

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's kinda scary. Dealerships buy bulk oil, probably as cheap as possible, and may or may not have a separate tank/dispenser for diesel oil.

View Quote

You’re kidding right? Dealerships buy the exact oil the manufacture calls for. We get barrels of Mobil 1 delivered with a Mercedes sticker on the top, pumped in by the distributor. Diesel and gas absolutely get different oil if specified.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#35]
And I don't have a diesel
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#36]
My fleet is still running Kendall Super D-XA 15w40 in the older engines.

We switched to Citgo C700 10w30 in my 2013 and newer MY trucks.

https://youtu.be/kF4abnhMeag

I have faith in the citgo product. But it is hard to find. I think it’s stocked at pilot truck stops and rural king. However it’s really designed to be a fleet product. Extended oil drains, oil analysis, etc.  
it’s a solid product but I’ll probably* switch back to D-XA 10w30 once product availability is figured out better.

Citgos new head of operations really has his shit together. Their products have always been available through this time.  And they make a lot of kick ass greases. Plus they were one of the first 3 to come to market with TES 668.

So a lot of respect.

But, the c700 product is really designed for class 7/8 applications.  Where I believe the D-XA and guardol product is just more robust, severe duty.

In large engines you can start telling these things.  

Rotella t4 is cheap. Designed for light duty.  Shears fast.  You see the same thing with Delvac 1300.

Anyone using T6 15w40… why? The entire intention of a full synthetic is the cold pour point. If you’re going to spend the money on T6… buy a 5w40. Not a 15w40…
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine sure leaks oil like it doesn't care
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford dealers basically have to buy Motorcraft oil.  

The only ford dealer that doesn’t that, I personally know of, is Autonation. As autonation is big enough to buck ford. They still have to use motorcraft in warranty work.

And no dealership will put a gas engine oil in a Diesel engine. That’s a buy back waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#39]
The only diesels I have are tractors, but I use T4 for break in oil on ATV’s and T6 afterwards. Both are JASO MA rated so they meet Honda specs.

Neither available at Walmart lately. Got some T4 at the local hardware store, but price had gone from $13.99/gal to $18.99/gal
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#41]
It looks like Kendall and p66 website is same builder, and the closest distributor near to me reps both.  For towing (dually long bed with 24 foot enclosed trailer and truck bed camper), location el paso, do you recommend 10w30 or the 5w40.  Your post was helpful, just want to make sure before I buy in depth.  Also the truck will sit for extended time (deployments).  Thanks for your input and your time, we all appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have faith in the citgo product. But it is hard to find. I think it’s stocked at pilot truck stops and rural king. However it’s really designed to be a fleet product. Extended oil drains, oil analysis, etc.  
it’s a solid product but I’ll probably* switch back to D-XA 10w30 once product availability is figured out better.

Citgos new head of operations really has his shit together. Their products have always been available through this time.  And they make a lot of kick ass greases. Plus they were one of the first 3 to come to market with TES 668.

So a lot of respect.

But, the c700 product is really designed for class 7/8 applications.  Where I believe the D-XA and guardol product is just more robust, severe duty.

Rotella t4 is cheap. Designed for light duty.  Shears fast.  You see the same thing with Delvac 1300.

Anyone using T6 15w40… why? The entire intention of a full synthetic is the cold pour point. If you’re going to spend the money on T6… buy a 5w40. Not a 15w40…
View Quote

@Foxtrot08 I appreciate your participation here, this is great information. So GMC spec says 15W-40 and we mostly haul in desert climates so it’s hotter than hell unless we hit the mountains. 5w-40 ok for the 6.6 duramax?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Foxtrot08 I appreciate your participation here, this is great information. So GMC spec says 15W-40 and we mostly haul in desert climates so it’s hotter than hell unless we hit the mountains. 5w-40 ok for the 6.6 duramax?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a lot of respect.

Yes. Actually it would be better.

Not only will it be better at getting oil to flow at start up conditions. But past 100c / 212f - it will provide better protection. Full synthetics have a better viscosity index, which means they’re more stable when they get hot.

Yes the graph is in Spanish. I’ll get p66 to make one for me later when their tech labs open.

As long as it’s a 40w at operational temperature, is all GM is worried about.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#44]

I'm using this right now because it is all that I can find....
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Amazon synthetic any good?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I would check out the approved list for all the major diesel engine manufacturers and pull from that list.

I use Valvoline 15w40 in my 2012 Ram 3500 and use Rotella T6 5w40 in my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

I work with both Ryder and Penske and they pull from those lists as well.

Beware of GD opinions but do not let them get you bogged down.

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I use Rotella T6 or Delo 400 in 5w-40 Synthetic for my truck and tractor.....can't find it anywhere!!  Even conventional 15w-40 is gone in my area......

Hopefully I can find some soon or I might have to get online and pay a fortune for some Kendal or AMSOIL.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 turbo diesel or the Mobil 1 delvac ESP.

Both are full synthetic.

Used it for 10 years in my 2010 duramax, and now in my 2020 duramax.

For a few extra dollars, its worth it, especially with longer drain intervals. Mobil runs a special rebate every year which brings it down to the same price as conventional oil
View Quote

The problem is finding it right now.....everyone in my area is out of stock on ALL diesel oil.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Both links show backordered/out of stock/ships in 1-2 months
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#50]
My local Napa has plenty
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top