Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2021 11:44:12 PM EDT
Scientists have used new and old techniques to determine that the asteroid impact of 66 MYBP occurred in the spring-summer.  The conclusion was based on plant pollen and vertebrate (fish) bone growth that occurs during the spring-summer.

This event is sometimes viewed as the true Big One, but there were two larger impacts.  Each one blasts earth's flora and fauna back many millions of years.

Wowza.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/937521
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Pfft. Scientists, we all know they're the grand daddy of all liars.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
...around tea time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pfft. Scientists, we all know they're the grand daddy of all liars.
View Quote

Unfortunately...Attachment Attached File

The profession has been shown to be rife with people willing to make shit up for a check.

No idea who to trust anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...around tea time.
View Quote

Actually, right before nap time.  Nighty-night, Barney.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Always remember, if nature doesn't hit us with another asteroid soon, some asshole with some spare rocket engines strapping them on a bunch of asteroids will certainly make sure it happens. Our species is fucked, asteroid warfare is even cheaper than nukes.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Scientists may well get all the grant money, but I can post up any shit I want to, no strings attached!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
How can carbon dating be that precise?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Carbon-14 dating is typically for stuff 250k years or younger.  Ballpark.

They use different isoptopes for real old stuff.  They also know the geology in certain locales, and that the giant geologic unconformity at that stratum is the geologic horizon for the extinction event.  Then they look at the fossil assemblage that sits immediately on that horizon, and go from there.

ETA - 50k years max for carbon dating.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not.
Other evidence indicates the season even if they only know the year to the nearest million.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Carbon dating is only one method. Isotope ratios give a much larger range.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not.
Other evidence indicates the season even if they only know the year to the nearest million.
View Quote

Correct.  They don't know the precise year, but they know the season.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah but that's nothing compared to the coronavirus we've had to deal with.

Stupid pansy dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unfortunately.../media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

The profession has been shown to be rife with people willing to make shit up for a check.

No idea who to trust anymore.
View Quote

Death to science! Death to science! Death to science!
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Death to science! Death to science! Death to science!
View Quote

Well, to be accurate, many major universities are on that course.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stupid pansy dinosaurs.
View Quote

artists rendering of events

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid pansy dinosaurs.

artists rendering of events

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/27B3894F-295F-4257-B0FF-AF2D4009B5C7_jpe-2204581.JPG

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, to be accurate, many major universities are on that course.
View Quote

We knew everything we needed to know 500 years ago!
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Did it hit just water? Since the Earth was flooded then?

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone knows that the Aliens nuked earth so they could build pyramids and populate the earth with galaxy criminals. That's what happened to the dynos
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder how large a government grant paid for that drivel and what that has to do with my exitance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It impacted near what is now the Yucatan Peninsula.  The crater is in the Gulf.  It has been found.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It impacted near what is now the Yucatan Peninsula.  The crater is in the Gulf.  It has been found.
View Quote

By scientists, so you know what that means....
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#24]
The dinosaurs should have just paid more taxes and they wouldn't have went extinct.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Scientists have used new and old techniques to determine that the asteroid impact of 66 MYBP occurred in the spring-summer.
View Quote
"occurred in the spring-summer"

This begs the following question. Spring-summer in which hemisphere?

Answer: the hemisphere that provided the grant money for the predetermined required result

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fun fact:

When they started experimenting with carbon dating, 90% of the tests would give results in the thousands of years. “Scientists” threw those tests out, and continued to use the 10% that would give them results of millions of years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This event is sometimes viewed as the true Big One, but there were two larger impacts.  Each one blasts earth's flora and fauna back many millions of years.
View Quote

In terms of bolide size, there have been numerous larger impacts from the early Archean onwards.

One discovered - though buried - crater (~300Km in size) in Antarctica is antipodal to the location of the Siberian Traps at the time that eruptive sequence began. It also impacted at the time of the initial magmatic pulse's break-through and is considered to be a trigger for the event. The Wilkes Land collision would have resulted in Mag 12 earthquakes whose seismic waves converged at the Traps areas. Localized faulting of the lithosphere would have let the first round of melt break through to the surface and begin the flood basalt deposition process associated with the Traps.

Phase 2 of the event is what caused the Permian extinction due to enormous release of CO2. This was accomplished by igneous intrusions into coal-bearing strata and the resulting combustion of thousands of cubic miles of the material.

There are a number of other confirmed impacts larger than Chicxulub but they sit outside the periods where life had established a stronghold. Nonetheless they probably didn't do the planet any favors.

Wilkes Land is also thought to have initiated the breakup of Gondwana via rift generation, much as the Barberton Greenstone event is suspected of giving rise to the mechanism that drives current plate tectonics.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been rooting for "Killer Asteroid Reset" since about the time of the Clinton administration.

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fun fact:

When they started experimenting with carbon dating, 90% of the tests would give results in the thousands of years. “Scientists” threw those tests out, and continued to use the 10% that would give them results of millions of years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact:

Yeah, those aren't facts.  Let me guess, all those those tests "they" threw out pointed to around 6,000 years or so?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#31]
What I find fascinating is that the atmospheric pressure was much more dense back then. You could actually have foot long dragonflies and mega insects because of this. I would like to see an accurate time traveler show where the characters go back to this dinosaur age and get fucked up because of the massive air pressure.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What I find fascinating is that the atmospheric pressure was much more dense back then. You could actually have foot long dragonflies and mega insects because of this. I would like to see an accurate time traveler show where the characters go back to this dinosaur age and get fucked up because of the massive air pressure.  

View Quote

How much greater Was it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It wasn't denser, the oxygen content was just higher.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, those aren't facts.  Let me guess, all those those tests "they" threw out pointed to around 6,000 years or so?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact:

It is a fact.

The results of 90% of the test didn’t fit what they wanted to believe. So they dismissed them. Just like you are doing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In terms of bolide size, there have been numerous larger impacts from the early Archean onwards.

One discovered - though buried - crater (~300Km in size) in Antarctica is antipodal to the location of the Siberian Traps at the time that eruptive sequence began. It also impacted at the time of the initial magmatic pulse's break-through and is considered to be a trigger for the event. The Wilkes Land collision would have resulted in Mag 12 earthquakes whose seismic waves converged at the Traps areas. Localized faulting of the lithosphere would have let the first round of melt break through to the surface and begin the flood basalt deposition process associated with the Traps.

Phase 2 of the event is what caused the Permian extinction due to enormous release of CO2. This was accomplished by igneous intrusions into coal-bearing strata and the resulting combustion of thousands of cubic miles of the material.

There are a number of other confirmed impacts larger than Chicxulub but they sit outside the periods where life had established a stronghold. Nonetheless they probably didn't do the planet any favors.

Wilkes Land is also thought to have initiated the breakup of Gondwana via rift generation, much as the Barberton Greenstone event is suspected of giving rise to the mechanism that drives current plate tectonics.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Always remember, if nature doesn't hit us with another asteroid soon, some asshole with some spare rocket engines strapping them on a bunch of asteroids will certainly make sure it happens. Our species is fucked, asteroid warfare is even cheaper than nukes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ingQY98RAc
View Quote

Beltalowda gonna get themselves the sharp end of the stick.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is a fact.

The results of 90% of the test didn’t fit what they wanted to believe. So they dismissed them. Just like you are doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact:

It is a fact.

You're gonna make those claims, you need to cite.

And not www.scienceysoundingcreationiststuff.com either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It is a fact.

View Quote

Then it should be easy to provide citations
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fun fact:

View Quote

Carbon dating is only used up to about 50k years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating

You're either forwarding a made up lie or very confused.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a fact.

I don’t know how easy it was for the person to provide the ones I ended up seeing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don’t know how easy it was for the person to provide the ones I ended up seeing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a fact.

Definitely sounds like indisputable facts to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact:

There is a possibility that I may be using a wrong word, but I’m not wrong that when they started experimenting with testing to put dates on things, 90% of the tests gave years in thousands, and not millions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#43]
What I find interesting is that by the time the dinosaurs were wiped out, there were already fossils of dinosaurs that were older to them than most we have today.  The early dinosaurs had gone extinct more than twice as long ago for them as the most recent ones to us.  In other words, the dinosaurs killed by the Chicxulub impactor were much closer to us in terms of years than they were to the early dinosaurs.  The Triassic-Jurassic extinction event which is largely unexplained, took place about 135 million years before the end of the dinosaurs.  In fact it was more than twice as distant in the past as the measly 66 million year ago event.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a fact.

They have stacks of those pamphlets at the Kingdom Hall.  They just stop by and get more when they run low.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did it start with FW:FW:FW:FW:?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Earth was warmer back then. Apparently, we're in a cooling spell.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a fact.

Dr. Derek Ager

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It is a fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact:

It is a fact.

Show your work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, denser. https://pubsapp.acs.org/subscribe/archive/ci/30/i12/html/12learn.html

“Although we do not know the values for the atmospheric pressure in those early times, and although each of the arguments in this paper only leads to suggestions, when taken together, the evidence from these various sources leads to the same conclusion: The atmospheric pressure was higher in the past than it is today ...”
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top