Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/5/2021 3:38:16 PM EDT
I’m a regular church goer at my Protestant church. I volunteer regularly, attend a bible study and make Christ my priority in all things. However, I’ve been curious about Catholicism for awhile, and a couple of things aligned so I had the opportunity to visit.

It was different in a lot of ways but there were similarities. I was lost most of the time and didn’t know when to stand up, kneel, or sit. Luckily, I just mimicked what others did and got through it fine. I was excited when we recited the Lord’s Prayer. Finally, something I did know. It was also interesting to see the priest had a lame antidote to start his message similarly to our pastors. I knew not to take communion and was relieved that I wasn’t the only person not partaking.

I’ll definitely go again. Getting my wife to go will be a challenge though. Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did. I’ve made the point that Protestants stray just as much as Catholics but I won’t push her.

While I’m not joining RCIA, I am interested in learning. I’ll still go to our Protestant church but I can go to Mass as well. If you’re Protestant and are curious about Catholicism, I suggest trying it out. It’s not nearly as intimidating as I thought it was.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like that many Americans are getting more interested in their religion.  Do what's good for you OP, even with the modern stance of the Catholic Church if a man wants to pray more and be more religious, I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You may also want to visit a Lutheran church.  Many of the same trimmings and process, but with 100% less Pope.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I laugh mightily at the hubris of the Catholic church that divorced people, and those not raised Catholic aren't allowed to partake in communion. Mighty Christlike of them. You can eat and drink zombie Jesus, unless you're divorced or weren't raised Catholic. Then you can get fucked.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you bring a Bible and read along with the teaching?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m a regular church goer at my Protestant church. I volunteer regularly, attend a bible study and make Christ my priority in all things. However, I’ve been curious about Catholicism for awhile, and a couple of things aligned so I had the opportunity to visit.

It was different in a lot of ways but there were similarities. I was lost most of the time and didn’t know when to stand up, kneel, or sit. Luckily, I just mimicked what others did and got through it fine. I was excited when we recited the Lord’s Prayer. Finally, something I did know. It was also interesting to see the priest had a lame antidote to start his message similarly to our pastors. I knew not to take communion and was relieved that I wasn’t the only person not partaking.

I’ll definitely go again. Getting my wife to go will be a challenge though. Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did. I’ve made the point that Protestants stray just as much as Catholics but I won’t push her.

While I’m not joining RCIA, I am interested in learning. I’ll still go to our Protestant church but I can go to Mass as well. If you’re Protestant and are curious about Catholicism, I suggest trying it out. It’s not nearly as intimidating as I thought it was.
View Quote

We have both catholics and protestants in our family going way back. My grandpa on my mom’s side took a comparative religions course in college, taught by a protestant reverend.  

Grandpa was raised protestant but became catholic and raised his children in the church (grandma was raised protestant too).

I am catholic and glad for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I laugh mightily at the hubris of the Catholic church that divorced people, and those not raised Catholic aren't allowed to partake in communion. Mighty Christlike of them. You can eat and drink zombie Jesus, unless you're divorced or weren't raised Catholic. Then you can get fucked.
View Quote

You can become a catholic and take communion no matter how you were born and raised.

You can be divorced and go through a formal process of annulment and become eligible for communion.

What you are asking for is fast-and-loose anything-goes and all earthly churches need less of that shit, not more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
That's ok OP, half the Catholics at Mass don't know when to stand, kneel, or sit either. It varies depending on how traditional the specific parish is.

Quoted:
View Quote

GD religion threads always go well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can become a catholic and take communion no matter how you were born and raised.

You can be divorced and go through a formal process of annulment and become eligible for communion.

What you are asking for is fast-and-loose anything-goes and all earthly churches need less of that shit, not more.
View Quote

Ah yes, I must have forgot where it was in the bible Jesus said I needed to pass a fitness test to eat at his table...

CoC 7 Removed by  brass
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you believe that the Eucharist IS the body and blood of Christ?

If so, you might as well join.  

It is what makes us Catholic.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
LoL!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I enjoy a good catholic mass IF the preacher is good.

Knew a few good ones.
One use to ride a Harley and go into bars for beer or whiskey.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]
How many times did the plate make the scene?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was in high school, a neighboring family converted to Catholicism after the parents attended a Mass and found it inspiring.  A Jewish classmate who was basically an atheist converted to Catholicism so she could marry a Catholic man.  Apparently they've been happy for more than 40 years.

I also have a friend who tried to fake being Catholic in an attempt to slip his joystick to a very attractive, rich Catholic girl in his class.  He did pretty well and even accepted the Eucharist, but screwed up on some kind of response thing that anyone who is really Catholic would apparently have known.  The girl busted him and dumped him.

I was a member of the youth choir at our Presbyterian church.  I was dating a Catholic girl, who would come down the hill to meet me at choir practice on Thursday evenings.  But one day when I was at her house, her parents confronted her.  They found out that the youth choir for All Hallows Catholic Church up the hill from their house met on Wednesday nights, therefore their daughter had been lying to them.  I bailed out immediately.  They never even made eye contact with me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have mixed feelings about it. I respect their wishes that I don’t partake so I won’t. Although, if I’m being honest, it’s disappointing I can’t. Communion is always available at my church so maybe I’ll just take it there.

Quoted:
Did you bring a Bible and read along with the teaching?

Should I have brought my JKV? Lol. I don’t even know what version Catholics prefer/require. I was screwing when they gave the numbers for the hymns anyway. Baby steps man.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 1/2 way thru RCIA, did the rite of acceptance this morning. I'm converting from Anglican because I don't think they believe in anything anymore. Catholic church has had some issues in the past, but I see them as doing the most to support traditional family life
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#17]
So do you feel like you been worshipping wrong your entire life? Do you feel like God cares how you worship him?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ah yes, I must have forgot where it was in the bible Jesus said I needed to pass a fitness test to eat at his table...

There's a reason Catholic mass median age is 65+ years old. That, and people probably don't want their kids continually raped anymore.
View Quote

As a Catholic, tell you what, you leave us alone, we'll leave you alone.

I don't know what it is that makes people come to the internet to slam another's religion, but it isn't pretty.

Oh, and by and large you know who administers that fitness test?
You.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I went to an Episcopal church for a few years with my second ex-wife.

Coming from a Baptist upbringing the up/down, up/down, and going up front for communion threw me off.

It was fun to see the kids hating life in the outfits, though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have mixed feelings about it. I respect their wishes that I don’t partake so I won’t. Although, if I’m being honest, it’s disappointing I can’t. Communion is always available at my church so maybe I’ll just take it there.

Should I have brought my JKV? Lol. I don’t even know what version Catholics prefer/require. I was screwing when they gave the numbers for the hymns anyway. Baby steps man.
View Quote

Dude, if you enjoy it, more power to you.

I went to my Grandfathers funeral at a Catholic church and was pretty blown away when the priest went out of his way to remind us all we weren't welcome to partake in communion, 1. Because we werent raised or confirmed Catholic 2. My mother was divorced. Even though we attend church on a routine basis and believe in Jesus Christ.. Everyone in the church also shot very judging looks our way when we didn't partake.

Oh, but the priest did make sure to mention we were free to come up and he would bless our heathen asses. Fuck him and the Catholic church.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I don’t believe in transubstantiation. However, I do believe through God, all things are possible. I won’t outright deny the possibility. I’ve always taken communion in remembrance of, not the literal blood and body of Christ.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I was in high school, a neighboring family converted to Catholicism after the parents attended a Mass and found it inspiring.  A Jewish classmate who was basically an atheist converted to Catholicism so she could marry a Catholic man.  Apparently they've been happy for more than 40 years.

I also have a friend who tried to fake being Catholic in an attempt to slip his joystick to a very attractive, rich Catholic girl in his class.  He did pretty well and even accepted the Eucharist, but screwed up on some kind of response thing that anyone who is really Catholic would apparently have known.  The girl busted him and dumped him.

I was a member of the youth choir at our Presbyterian church.  I was dating a Catholic girl, who would come down the hill to meet me at choir practice on Thursday evenings.  But one day when I was at her house, her parents confronted her.  They found out that the youth choir for All Hallows Catholic Church up the hill from their house met on Wednesday nights, therefore their daughter had been lying to them.  I bailed out immediately.  They never even made eye contact with me.
View Quote

I thought you might be talking about all hallows when you were talking about the hill.  Nice church there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought you might be talking about all hallows when you were talking about the hill.  Nice church there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a beautiful church to be sure, but so is Mary Star of the Sea down in the village.  That was my church's "sister church."

All Hallows used to have an amazing view of the ocean.  But last time I went there, for a funeral, the eucalyptus trees had almost completely blocked it.

For the unknowing, we're talking about La Jolla, California.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sure I'd associate with an organization that harbors and protects kid diddlers the way the Catholic Church does but you do you.

If you want the pomp and circumstance of Catholicism, without the diddlers, maybe check out Russian Orthodox?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the US we use the New American Bible.

https://www.usccb.org/resources/new-american-bible
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You may also want to visit a Lutheran church.  Many of the same trimmings and process, but with 100% less Pope.
View Quote

Lutheran churches don't have all that neat gothic stuff. The talky guy wears a suit instead of pastor clothes. The coffee is weak as well.

However if you drive a Corolla and think religion should be equally utilitarian then Lutheranism is for you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So do you feel like you been worshipping wrong your entire life? Do you feel like God cares how you worship him?
View Quote

Not particularly. Although, I did look at the Protestant service differently when my wife and I attended later this morning.

I think he does. I’ve been praying for guidance and an open heart. If I feel I’m being led to convert, I will.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
The Pope is a certified Marxist. He rubs elbows with Biden due to his ideology of Marxism being more important than the ideology of the church.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly, a large number of catholics no longer believe this. I won't get into the why here.

OP if you want to, find a traditional Latin mass to attend. It's quite a bit different and the way mass was before 1970.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be careful.  ELCA is woke as fuck.

Also, Marxist pope is Marxist.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't you know that catholics worship the devil?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would be surprised if you did not in some way find a mass compelling, it's *built* along the bells and smells "have a memorable experience" way of doing things.

If you know you can not make yourself right with God and believe Christ died for your sins, eventually it will run you out, because it makes light of his sacrifice and lowers him below the level of savior to being the one that made your salvation possible, if you can keep it.

If you do not believe that you can't make yourself right with God, or you do but you don't believe Christ died for your sins, the bells and smells is likely to reel you in.  I gather the EO are into the whole "make it a physical and emotional experience" too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's ok OP, half the Catholics at Mass don't know when to stand, kneel, or sit either. It varies depending on how traditional the specific parish is.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Wat_JPG-318.jpg

GD religion threads always go well.
View Quote

Must be CEO (Christmas Easter Only)

Quoted:

There's a reason Catholic mass median age is 65+ years old. That, and people probably don't want their kids continually raped anymore.
View Quote

Have you ever been? The Church is full of young people and families.

Quoted:
How many times did the plate make the scene?
View Quote

Once, except the rare occasion of a special collection for a particular charity. Nearly everyone just passed it along anyway. Most give online or not at all, and nobody wonders about it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#34]
The catholic church always has been and always will be evil, they caused the dark ages and helped every tin pot despot thru out their history. If you liked the Mass, you would be much better served looking the the Eastern Orthodox churches they are closer to the original.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#35]
You might want to try the Anglican Church in North America. It is essentially the same as a Roman Catholic church service but you will be able to take communion if you have been baptized. My wife and I joined a couple of years ago and have never looked back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, was it the theology you liked or the liturgy?  There are Protestant churches that follow the historic liturgy.

If you don’t mind telling, what sort of Protestant are you currently?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

OP if you want to, find a traditional Latin mass to attend. It's quite a bit different and the way mass was before 1970.
View Quote

As an Old School alar boy I do believe I could still muddle mmy way through an Old School traditional Latin mass if I tried to.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember years ago a friend got married and it was a full blown Catholic marriage.  It was like a cardio workout-j/k it was different, but fine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most churches have a book with the readings and hymns in it that make it easier to find. The New American Bible should have everything in it, including the books of Maccabees that the Protestants cut out because they condone violence for self defense from the state.

Catholics believe that the Eucharist is the actual body and blood of Christ, not just a symbol of it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]
It seems to me that you are fascinated by the Catholic hoopla, more then you care about their message?

I know Catholics self identify as being Christian, but come on, lol.

I’d recommend finding a conservative Baptist church before giving any time or money to a Catholic Church.

My opinion of course, the Catholic Church is ECLA with with more calisthenics….
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I'd associate with an organization that harbors and protects kid diddlers the way the Catholic Church does but you do you.

If you want the pomp and circumstance of Catholicism, without the diddlers, maybe check out Russian Orthodox?
View Quote

I get it. It happens in Protestant churches too but I think we get away with it due to having less structure than the Catholic Church. I did think it was interesting that everyone involved, including volunteers, had to complete annual training to do what they do. It’s sad that’s necessary but we live in a fallen world.

Maybe I will. I visited Greece recently and I thought the Orthodox churches were beautiful. The chanting was certainly new to me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lutheran hymns are cool too... lots of tradition and none of the trendy new megachurch autotuned pop songs.  Many of them are about being a soldier and carrying on the fight, etc.        Gets you in the mood for some ass kicking.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dufuck you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The catholic church always has been and always will be evil, they caused the dark ages and helped every tin pot despot thru out their history. If you liked the Mass, you would be much better served looking the the Eastern Orthodox churches they are closer to the original.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Pope is a certified Marxist. He rubs elbows with Biden due to his ideology of Marxism being more important than the ideology of the church.
View Quote

He's a Jesuit, so not super surprising.

A lot of shit the Catholic Church gets though is because it is an actual organisation with a hierarchical structure. Most good parish priests are just sort of riding this one out if you talk to them about the pope.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

First Corinthians.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, I don’t believe in transubstantiation. However, I do believe through God, all things are possible. I won’t outright deny the possibility. I’ve always taken communion in remembrance of, not the literal blood and body of Christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t believe what they teach about what the sacrament is, so why do you want to receive it with them and thereby give the impression that you do believe what they teach about it?

I was raised in an LCMS church by an LCMS pastor and currently serve as an elder in an LCMS church.  I will not go up for communion when visiting an unfamiliar LCMS church unless I can speak with the pastor first.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#49]
If you want to support an organization that is anti-gun and pushes for gun control that is up to you.  That is in addition to many other flaws with their structure and fundamental beliefs.

We believe that in the long run and with few exceptions (i.e., police officers, military use), handguns should be eliminated from our society. "Furthermore, the widespread use of handguns and automatic weapons in connection with drug commerce reinforces our repeated 'call for effective and courageous action to control handguns, leading to their eventual elimination from our society.'" U.S. Catholic Bishops - Conference of Catholic Bishops, 1990
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  But I'm back to surfing for awhile :)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top