Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 12/2/2021 10:30:13 PM EDT
This just a suggestion and I would like some input from anyone who wants to on how to make this idea better. If you do comment please don't make this about attacking the site, mods, staff or admin. This is meant to help all of us.

If you like it say so. If you don't say why. If you want to add something please do and add why.  If you think something is wrong say why it is.

A suggestion for the grievance forum

I would like for anyone that wants to to come in here and help with the writing of rules, format and anything else that such a place will need.

Rules for the place

1 No bashing of any mod, staff or member.   This is probably the most important if such a place is to succeed.

2 It should be be open to all members and possibly banned members also.  There is no point in having discussions if relevant parties cannot attend.

3 As of right now the membership cannot overturn a decision made by mods, staff or admin. No point in trying to have a conversation if it can be undermined  by a mob.

4 What can be discussed in the forum. Its open to bans warnings and general problems.

5 What cannot be discussed here.  Membership problems. This will not be the place for problems between the general membership. That will just clog up the place and cause unneeded problems.

6 What can be done to those that cannot follow rules here. First asked to behave, second removal from thread and third if a member continues to be abusive or a consistent problem they may be removed banned from the forum. The forum will not be allowed to be used for abuse and general asshatery.

7 How long can a thread run. Threads will have one week to be discussed.  After the thread is closed unless progress is being made at which the thread may be allowed to continue.

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff.

9 When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed.

This was a suggestion for a change on 8

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff."  I think there is a distinction to be made between Staff who sets policy and Mods who execute policy. Mods should only speak to "here is the policy we execute, and here's the guidance Staff gives us about how to execute those policies."  Only Staff should speak to "here's why the policy is this way."  Think of it as the difference between cops and legislatures.  Legislature passes the law, cops enforce the law.  Each is going to have a different perspective on why the law is versus how to execute the law -- and you get nowhere arguing with a cop for a change in the law.  Similarly, you get nowhere arguing with a Mod for a change in policy.  That's Site Staff's job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
in!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
His name was m35ben.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
tl;dr
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Good work Ben.  A great starter package there.  You have put considerable thought into this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This just a suggestion and I would like some input from anyone who wants to on how to make this idea better. If you do comment please don't make this about attacking the site, mods, staff or admin. This is meant to help all of us.

If you like it say so. If you don't say why. If you want to add something please do and add why.  If you think something is wrong say why it is.

A suggestion for the grievance forum

I would like for anyone that wants to to come in here and help with the writing of rules, format and anything else that such a place will need.

Rules for the place

1 No bashing of any mod, staff or member.   This is probably the most important if such a place is to succeed.
I think that bashing and insults get us nowhere but there needs to be a safe place for honest grievances for mods/staff that seem to consistently be frustrating the members. If you can't call people out directly but respectfully and be protected in doing so then what's the point? This seems to be one of the current major complaints these past 2 months IMO.

2 It should be be open to all members and possibly banned members also.  There is no point in having discussions if relevant parties cannot attend.
I like this. Something like this can't be hidden behind Team and it would be a good place to have members who have been "questionably banned" to have a chair at the table. Just because someone pissed off a certain mod doesn't mean the 41000 posts they've accrued and the years of contributions are now meaningless. But this would need to be done carefully to not let trolls who deserve permas and no voice from pooping on another sub-forum.

3 As of right now the membership cannot overturn a decision made by mods, staff or admin. No point in trying to have a conversation if it can be undermined  by a mob.
This is another big issue. Certain mods/ss and bans of high profile folks have caused this whole stir and the only transparency is "we back our mod's decisions" from sr. staff and GB. That is really offputting to many members and creates a potential US vs THEM mentality.

4 What can be discussed in the forum. Its open to bans warnings and general problems.

5 What cannot be discussed here.  Membership problems. This will not be the place for problems between the general membership. That will just clog up the place and cause unneeded problems.
Bring back the Pit... Find someone to moderate it now that Ed Sr is largely not active on the site anymore

6 What can be done to those that cannot follow rules here. First asked to behave, second removal from thread and third if a member continues to be abusive or a consistent problem they may be removed banned from the forum. The forum will not be allowed to be used for abuse and general asshatery.

7 How long can a thread run. Threads will have one week to be discussed.  After the thread is closed unless progress is being made at which the thread may be allowed to continue.
No real comment here. This would have to be tweaked as things move along.
8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff.
This could potentially have issues with certain mods not being held properly accountable if other mods are stepping in and justifying someone else's actions. Mods are busy so there is a balance but if say Aimless (just an example) is being called out more than any other mod and spends no time in the forum, it kind of defeats the purpose. But again, a balance needs to be found. I like this idea.

9 When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed.

This was a suggestion for a change on 8

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff."  I think there is a distinction to be made between Staff who sets policy and Mods who execute policy. Mods should only speak to "here is the policy we execute, and here's the guidance Staff gives us about how to execute those policies."  Only Staff should speak to "here's why the policy is this way."  Think of it as the difference between cops and legislatures.  Legislature passes the law, cops enforce the law.  Each is going to have a different perspective on why the law is versus how to execute the law -- and you get nowhere arguing with a cop for a change in the law.  Similarly, you get nowhere arguing with a Mod for a change in policy.  That's Site Staff's job.
View Quote

Added my responses to the quote. Thanks Ben!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you want to unionize the membership. GD local 87?

Pass
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
We have to do something, this sounds like a good start. Thanks Ben.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I like it, but i'm a 2020er, so I'll defer to more established and long time members.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Something to think about.. thanks Ben...
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You want a grievance forum and these are the 8 rules you would like for said forum?

That's it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Bully-proof windows, troll-safe doors, nothing but kindness in here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
placeholder

thanks Ben
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Aw what the heck. In.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the ultimate goal?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you want to unionize the membership. GD local 87?

Pass
View Quote
Its not that at all. Its a place outside of GD to address problems.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You want a grievance forum and these are the 8 rules you would like for said forum?

That's it?
View Quote
He asked for your input.  Please help.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds good to me
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
A method for paying members to cast a vote on unbanning or keeping the ban in place may be useful. (If it has to be restricted to people with more skin in the game, Perhaps gold members or better, or 10+ years can vote?)

It’s self policing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its not that at all. Its a place outside of GD to address problems.
View Quote

Its like bear pit, except its vertical instead of horizontal. Plus banned members.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Something to think about.. thanks Ben...
View Quote
Think on it
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I like this premise.

Sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's it?
View Quote
Yes Goatboy had the name. You can suggest changes or add to it if you think something should be there
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm here for the gangbang....JK!
Hope something good comes of this discussion
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't they do that at one of the AK forums?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#26]
May I suggest that this new sub forum be private to only registered members and not visible to the lurkers like GD is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
placeholder

thanks Ben
View Quote

Welcome
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Actually pretty good. And for that this will be locked and memory holed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is the ultimate goal?
View Quote
To provide a place outside of GD to ask or address things with mods and staff
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A method for paying members to cast a vote on unbanning or keeping the ban in place may be useful. (If it has to be restricted to people with more skin in the game, Perhaps gold members or better, or 10+ years can vote?)

It's self policing.
View Quote
That's a fair idea. Not really what I think that forum should be for but still not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#31]
It's an idea, hopefully prevents cockpocolypses in the future.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Good start.  The question though will probably not be if the members get onboard, but will the staff and mods get onboard with it?

Wait and see i guess.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#33]
OST.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm here for the gangbang....JK!
Hope something good comes of this discussion
View Quote
I hope so to
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for having a level head, Ben.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
May I suggest that this new sub forum be private to only registered members and not visible to the lurkers like GD is.
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good start.  The question though will probably not be if the members get onboard, but will the staff and mods get onboard with it?

Wait and see i guess.

View Quote
I welcome there thoughts. This isn't just for members
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice job ben, thanks for putting the thought into this.

I'll think about it and write more later.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for having a level head, Ben.
View Quote
I'm trying to be fair on this
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a suggestion.

Make a "friends" button, so that if two people both friend each other, it shows up as friends. But you won't get notified unless you both mutually click eachother's friends buttons.

REPEAT:  it's not like a friend request, so you won't be notified if somebody sends a friend invite.

I can think of many members I would like to friend.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice job ben, thanks for putting the thought into this.

I'll think about it and write more later.
View Quote
Please do
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I think this would be a good idea, as long as staff and moderators aren’t allowed to move threads into the grievance forum.  I wouldn’t want it to become a dumping place for threads they don’t want to deal with in GD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seems like a reasonable concept.
View Quote
I want it to be as fair to staff as members. It has to be a two way street.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It’s self policing.
View Quote

Then bans would just be a popularity contest.

You could break rules all day long if you had enough folks in your corner.

I dont think that would fly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's it?
View Quote

I like these 8 better:

1. You will obey the code of conduct  without question.

2. Punishment shall be swift.

3. Mercy is for the weak.

4. Trolling will defeat reason.

5. Your allegiance is to the forum.

6. Justice can be dictated.

7. Any Team member may challenge for leadership of the Forum.

8. There is only one penalty - BAN!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a suggestion.

Make a "friends" button, so that if two people both friend each other, it shows up as friends. But you won't get notified unless you both mutually click eachother's friends buttons.

REPEAT:  it's not like a friend request, so you won't be notified if somebody sends a friend invite.

I can think of many members I would like to friend.
View Quote
Good suggestion
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#49]
In.

I need to think about it more before I have an opinion.

Thank you taking the effort and time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think this would be a good idea, as long as staff and moderators aren't allowed to move threads into the grievance forum.  I wouldn't want it to become a dumping place for threads they don't want to deal with in GD.
View Quote
I don't see why they would.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top