Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2021 12:18:56 PM EDT
See page 2 for resolution, new info and a much larger problem.

So I get off work this morning and notice my wife has sent me a bunch of messages and a picture. It's of this sticker that was on one of our vehicles.

Now here's the deal, we live in a smaller apartment complex that has a private lot. We have rented here for years, and never had this happen before, nor seen it done to anyone else. Basically it was my fault that I forgot the registration until a week ago so it was expired. It's on the truck my wife drives, and up until October she was working exclusively remote, and has only since then had to go back to work.

And because we got a second vehicle last September and had to wait until December before the DMV finally had an appointment to register it, title it etc. So I realized last week my car's registration was going to be expiring, and paid for both my wife's vehicle and mine to get new stickers online and since then we have just been waiting for the physical stickers to come. I got the emails that say that the registrations good and all that.

Here's where I'm confused. What gives the police the legal authority to come onto a private parking lot, and to tow a vehicle that has expired stickers
? I know my apartment complex didn't call and ask them to.

I don't get. Last year they were letting everything slide because they understood the DMV has appointments backed up for 3+ months, and from what I just checked the soonest I could go in person to get a sticker would be nearly February. Now with being 28 officers understaffed, they have time to walk around and demand the king's tax to have the privilege to park in a lot I pay for every month?

I guess I'll be parking the car at my parents until the sticker comes because I know that even if I taped the fucking receipt that says the stickers on the way, and its legally registered until September of 2022, I would still be picking my shit up from the impound lot.

Attachment Attached File

See page 2 for resolution, new info and a much larger problem.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to park my car that was in up one time at my wife's (GF at the times) apartment complex.

I just talked to the manager and told him what's up, he said oh ok, I didn't know who it belonged too. Take your time getting it moving.

Just go talk to management and tell them what's going on.

They are basically just trying to prevent the place from being a junk yard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That wasn’t put on by your local law enforcement agency……. That was most likely put on by a towing company contracted by your complex.  I would speak to the apartment manager and raise hell.

It’s private property and they can enforce their rules
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
did the police have it towed or did the apartment complex.  

I've known apartment complexes to do it to keep the riff raff out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had to park my car that was in up one time at my wife's (GF at the times) apartment complex.

I just talked to the manager and told him what's up, he said oh ok, I didn't know who it belonged too. Take your time getting it moving.

View Quote

I mean they have all our license plates on file? They didn't call to have anything removed.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

edit: generally there is an official notice some time before they do though
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thankfully it wasn't towed. There was a sticker left I guess yesterday sometime around 10. But since the sticker says they will be back on the 3rd I am going to park it at my parents tonight until the weekend, and then put the receipt for payment on the back and pray they don't decide to tow it anyways
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn’t even know this was a thing. I’ve never heard of police towing vehicles for expired registration. You sure it isn’t in your apartment’s rules to always keep current tags?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That wasn’t put on by your local law enforcement agency……. That was most likely put on by a towing company contracted by your complex.  I would speak to the apartment manager and raise hell.

View Quote

This right here. If the police had it towed, the sticker would be from the municipality. The complex had the car towed. Check your lease, it may stipulate that registration must be current.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
When you renewed online didn't the DMV allow you to print a temporary tag? The temporary tag gets placed on your dash.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Here's where I'm confused. What gives the police the legal authority to come onto a private parking lot, and to tow a vehicle that has expired stickers
?
View Quote

Nothing. That isn't a government notice, it's a tow company warning notice from the company your property manager hired to enforce their parking rules.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Newsflash...that car isn't yours. Pay your taxes or else...
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This right here. If the police had it towed, the sticker would be from the municipality. The complex had the car towed. Check your lease, it may stipulate that registration must be current.

View Quote

It wasn't towed. The complex didn't call according to them.

Its ridiculous because we actually have a Karen neighbor who was calling non stop about a broken down car that was double parked, for over a year. They never towed it, and only when the owner decided to finally scrap it, was it moved.

The complex was my first thought too, but then I noticed at the bottom it says "Officer XYZ" who signed it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When you renewed online didn't the DMV allow you to print a temporary tag? The temporary tag gets placed on your dash.
View Quote

Its just the registration stickers, no need for a new tag.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I mean they have all our license plates on file? They didn't call to have anything removed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's very clear that management doesn't want cars that are not legally operable on the road to be parked in the lot.

a license plate is not valid unless the registration is current.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Cops aren't towing shit off private property unless it's posing some sort of hazard or obstruction.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Did the police do that?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its ridiculous because we actually have a Karen neighbor who was calling non stop about a broken down car that was double parked, for over a year. They never towed it, and only when the owner decided to finally scrap it, was it moved.

The complex was my first thought too, but then I noticed at the bottom it says "Officer XYZ" who signed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does your complex hire off duty officers or have a courtesy officer to work security?  That would be a possibility that they were given a list of rules they were told to enforce.  That sticker isn’t from a LE agency.  Looks to be a generic one that is used by private property owners/managers/reps(off duty security)

It’s possible an off duty officer working for the complex was enforcing their rules and had it towed and didn’t tell the manager
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I suspect that there is going to be an enforcement orgy for the next few years for anything/everything official like that.
Traffic, parking, building/code etc.

They basically had an entire year with severely reduced "revenue" so they will be making up for it and then some.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Call your local agency and confirm whether or not that's their parking violation notice. It doesn't look like one any government would use.

Tons of towing companies and parking lots make extensive efforts to produce "official" looking violation notices to get people to pay their parking violations that they issue under the theory that by parking in the lot you agreed to a massive terms and conditions notice that no one actually reads including titling the document "violation notice" or something similar and having it issued by a "parking officer" or something so that people will just assume it's a government ticket and pay it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could just mean “officer of the company.” My old apt complex had a contract with a towing company. And used as the initial warning. Every so often you would see the two truck driving through the lot. Complex never called them but they are looking for vehicles just like yours with expired tags that were in violation of the lease. The lease says all vehicle registration must be current.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats probably the terms of your lease, all vehicles must have current registration. Police would have nothing to do with it, you need to talk to your property maager but I bet they are going to say "Expired vehicles arent allowed"

It keeps the shitbirds from hoarding 6 vehicles on the property grounds and tying up parking.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I suspect that there is going to be an enforcement orgy for the next few years for anything/everything official like that.
Traffic, parking, building/code etc.

They basically had an entire year with severely reduced "revenue" so they will be making up for it and then some.

View Quote

I don’t know about Virginia law, but in Texas LE can’t enforce that on private property much less have it towed if they value their job.  Used to deal with that all the time where property owners would call wanting me to have a vehicle towed and each and every time they were told it’s private property, YOU will have to contact a wrecker service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I don’t think that stickers from an LE agency either.

And cops are usually arguing with places like apartment complexes about why it’s not the cops job to tow from private property, not the other way around.

Here at least, you can’t commit a civil traffic offense in private property so no one would give a shit about apartment parking except maybe the property owner.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does your complex hire off duty officers or have a courtesy officer to work security?  That would be a possibility that they were given a list of rules they were told to enforce.  That sticker isn’t from a LE agency.  Looks to be a generic one that is used by private property owners/managers/reps(off duty security)

It’s possible an off duty officer working for the complex was enforcing their rules and had it towed and didn’t tell the manager
View Quote

If an off-duty cop is dumb enough to enforce “rules” under color of lawful authority he’s a dumb shit.

Any off duty cop who works an off duty gig at a ghetto ass apartment complex is probably a dumb shit anyway.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Does your complex hire off duty officers or have a courtesy officer to work security?  That would be a possibility that they were given a list of rules they were told to enforce.  That sticker isn't from a LE agency.  Looks to be a generic one that is used by private property owners/managers/reps(off duty security)

It's possible an off duty officer working for the complex was enforcing their rules and had it towed and didn't tell the manager
View Quote

A cop working off duty in that capacity would only be able to call the tow company the complex has a contract with and ask them to enforce the lot rules.

Tow companies that have an on call contract with police agencies generally bill the agency at a contracted rate to ensure service within a set time frame to clear road blockages and complete impounds in a timely manner. Using the contract tow for a non official impound is big no go.

It costs the county $180 every time I call a tow and a truck is dispatched unless the owner of the car is present to sign their contract and assume payment liability is requesting the tow "owners request" because it's blocking and waiting two hours for their roadside assistance isn't gonna work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nothing. That isn't a government notice, it's a tow company warning notice from the company your property manager hired to enforce their parking rules.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

This.

Their property/their rules.

I never got into predatory towing (cruising lots looking for violations),but did tow vehicles that weren't supposed to be there when they called. Same with the school-no parking permit leaves you open to be towed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
As noted, that's not a municipal sticker.  Management companies will hire tow truck companies to remove vehicles from parking lots if they have expired registration, are unsightly, or don't belong there (no parking pass, etc.).  Don't assume that the tow company has the same information the apartment complex has.  They most likely do not.  There is a more than fair chance that the tow company was told to tow for certain issues, expired registration being one of them.  With COVID, they were probably called off because of the DMV closures.  

We hired a company to tow cars at our apartment complex and wound up having to fire them because they were way too aggressive.  Of all of the tows they did, I think only one was from a non-tenant parking there (we had long-term problems with that).  The rest were tenants and for some pretty shitty reasons.  The reasons were in the contract but they were enforced in a pretty shitty way.  One tenant picked up a nail on the way home and was too tired to change the tire at 3am.  By 4am, they had towed the car because it had a flat tire.  That was the final straw for us and we cancelled the contract the next day.  All they managed to do was tow tenants and get everyone pissed off.  

I would certainly have a discussion with the manager and keep the car elsewhere until you get current tags on it.  Even if the manager says they won't tow it, you've got to bet on him/her calling the tow company and the tow company telling any driver who pay check the parking lot.  Personally, I wouldn't roll the dice on it.  

I would bet there are others who got stickers and are pretty unhappy about it.  Maybe ask around.  With enough complaints, the manager will likely end the tow contract.

Another thing I would suspect is the tow company may be looking to make up for lost income from COVID so they may be getting more aggressive.  If that's the case, I'm sure you'll hear plenty of complaining from other tenants.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Some times the tow company goes overboard. We had a local company get into some deep do do when the towed vehicle for very small technicalities that the rental company did not know about
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Cop wouldn’t have left that. If you paid online and got the emails that you’re good then you would show as up to date in their system too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Between OP and Nathaniel-Hawkins there’s never a shortage of self-induced poors problems.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#31]
OP is probably right to hide the car though,many tow companies are operated by the lowest human beings in the world. Joads and gypsies and career scam artists are pretty common.  That sticker is probably the opening gambit in a “civil dispute” extortion scheme for you to get your car back from the tow lot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A cop working off duty in that capacity would only be able to call the tow company the complex has a contract with and ask them to enforce the lot rules.

Tow companies that have an on call contract with police agencies generally bill the agency at a contracted rate to ensure service within a set time frame to clear road blockages and complete impounds in a timely manner. Using the contract tow for a non official impound is big no go.

It costs the county $180 every time I call a tow and a truck is dispatched unless the owner of the car is present to sign their contract and assume payment liability is requesting the tow "owners request" because it's blocking and waiting two hours for their roadside assistance isn't gonna work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does your complex hire off duty officers or have a courtesy officer to work security?  That would be a possibility that they were given a list of rules they were told to enforce.  That sticker isn't from a LE agency.  Looks to be a generic one that is used by private property owners/managers/reps(off duty security)

It's possible an off duty officer working for the complex was enforcing their rules and had it towed and didn't tell the manager

Exactly.  Thank you, should have clarified better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If an off-duty cop is dumb enough to enforce “rules” under color of lawful authority he’s a dumb shit.

Any off duty cop who works an off duty gig at a ghetto ass apartment complex is probably a dumb shit anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See SC11B’s post.  I should have better clarified.  

Didn’t know OP lived at a “ghetto ass apartment complex”
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Call your local agency and confirm whether or not that's their parking violation notice. It doesn't look like one any government would use.

Tons of towing companies and parking lots make extensive efforts to produce "official" looking violation notices to get people to pay their parking violations that they issue under the theory that by parking in the lot you agreed to a massive terms and conditions notice that no one actually reads including titling the document "violation notice" or something similar and having it issued by a "parking officer" or something so that people will just assume it's a government ticket and pay it.
View Quote

Quoted:

Could just mean “officer of the company.” My old apt complex had a contract with a towing company. And used as the initial warning. Every so often you would see the two truck driving through the lot. Complex never called them but they are looking for vehicles just like yours with expired tags that were in violation of the lease. The lease says all vehicle registration must be current.
View Quote

I'll try and answer more when I wake up before work.

No we definitely don't have a security officer. They would never pay for such a luxury.

As far as the lease goes, no there is no specific language about the stickers or even plates.

And for the last question, I would definitely call but no number was left, and I can't find a "parking authority" that would have issued this. Basically the parking authority deals with the city parking structures and downtown parking and shit like that.
My first thought was it was the complex. But they denied knowledge about anything to do with towing or enforcement. I really just can't figure out who or why it was left, and what made them come do some "enforcing" in a private parking lot.

The apartment complex has no tow company, and there are no posted signs for "do this and your car may be towed" signs anywhere. There is one sign that simply reads "parking for XXXX residents only". No towing verbiage or signage ANYWHERE.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Thank you, should have clarified better.
View Quote

An off duty cop in uniform enforcing private rules would be begging for a nice long drawn out relationship with the Professional Standards Bureau here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

The apartment complex I used to live in had a contract with a tow company. They go through and pick cars up for various shit, the apartment people in the office have no idea what's going on because it's the tow company doing it.

ETA: It could be a rogue tow company prowling your complex and picking up cars.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Just print a temporary tag, and put it in the windshield.  Change it out every few weeks, with a revised date.  Don't drive it on public roads with the temp tag, of course.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two kinds of closed “communities” hire off duty cops: really nice places that can afford $100 an hour for some guy to play on his phone all night just in case the riff raff show up, and thevv NG apartment complex where the riff raff live, thinking they can hire a cop and direct enforcement action to prevent the riff raff from killing each other on the property.

The shitty ghetto complex version is not worth the walking through the minefield likely complaints and IA actions you’ll be inviting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#39]
AFAIK any form used by LE agency has it's letterhead. This one doesn't have any. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP is probably right to hide the car though,many tow companies are operated by the lowest human beings in the world. Joads and gypsies and career scam artists are pretty common.  That sticker is probably the opening gambit in a "civil dispute" extortion scheme for you to get your car back from the tow lot.
View Quote

The apartment complex tow vultures here love to call 911 when the owner of the car goes out and sits in the car they are hooking up and get all pissy when we tell them this is a civil issue and the winner tonight will be whoever has more patience cause one of y'all is gonna get bored and leave

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Probably the towing company.  

Advanced Towing Company in Arlington VA got their pee pee spanked, for among other things, impersonating officers while performing sketchy tows.  

Raise hell with your apartment management.  If you have the time, stake out the parking lot and see who shows.  Dollars to doughnuts, it's a private towing company.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So I get off work this morning and notice my wife has sent me a bunch of messages and a picture. It's of this sticker that was on one of our vehicles.

Now here's the deal, we live in a smaller apartment complex that has a private lot. We have rented here for years, and never had this happen before, nor seen it done to anyone else. Basically it was my fault that I forgot the registration until a week ago so it was expired. It's on the truck my wife drives, and up until October she was working exclusively remote, and has only since then had to go back to work.

And because we got a second vehicle last September and had to wait until December before the DMV finally had an appointment to register it, title it etc. So I realized last week my car's registration was going to be expiring, and paid for both my wife's vehicle and mine to get new stickers online and since then we have just been waiting for the physical stickers to come. I got the emails that say that the registrations good and all that.

? I know my apartment complex didn't call and ask them to.

I don't get. Last year they were letting everything slide because they understood the DMV has appointments backed up for 3+ months, and from what I just checked the soonest I could go in person to get a sticker would be nearly February. Now with being 28 officers understaffed, they have time to walk around and demand the king's tax to have the privilege to park in a lot I pay for every month?

I guess I'll be parking the car at my parents until the sticker comes because I know that even if I taped the fucking receipt that says the stickers on the way, and its legally registered until September of 2022, I would still be picking my shit up from the impound lot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/445346/Sticker_png-2189133.JPG
View Quote

All the tow/impound stickers I've seen LE use are clearly marked with the LE agencies name and a phone number. That is some generic looking sticker I'd imagine apartment management using or a tow company they contract with.

just because the preprinted signature line has "officer" under it, that doesn't make it official. Does the hand written signature say "officer" or have a badge number?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Two kinds of closed “communities” hire off duty cops: really nice places that can afford $100 an hour for some guy to play on his phone all night just in case the riff raff show up, and thevv NG apartment complex where the riff raff live, thinking they can hire a cop and direct enforcement action to prevent the riff raff from killing each other on the property.

The shitty ghetto complex version is not worth the walking through the minefield likely complaints and IA actions you’ll be inviting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in my early years I worked off duty gigs at some complexes in VERY high crime areas in Houston.  Stayed in the car in the most tactical position possible, which often wasn’t on the property with my DVD player, Side Arm, M4, Vest and my head on a swivel.  Made sure my phone was fully charged at all times in case I had to call 911 because there was no way in hell I wasn’t getting out of my car alone in that situation
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Read your lease and read signage on your parking lot.

Every apartment management company out there  will have verbiage banning abounding and unlicensed cars. Yes your expired tags make it unlicensed.

The management company doesn’t have to call to have it towed. They are contracted with a tow company. The tow company should have a sign at the entrance to the lot. Management gives the rules to the tow campany and the tow company will drive through when they have nothing else to do and tow cars based of the rules to make money.

This wasn’t the police.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Use to work in commercial RE management of office buildings and some of our properties had parking lots. The property had clearly posted rules about who could park. Every lease had rules about employee parking which required that cars be registered with the management office and get a parking tag. If it was determined that you were not a guest/customer of a tenant or parked in handicap spot without a permit security would tag your drivers side window with a nasty orange sticker (a bitch to peel off).  If you continued to park you got towed.
Security did not look at expired registrations.

That is clearly not a LE sticker but one that originates from your management company or like others said a tow company they contracted with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Your apartment management did it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#47]
First... read the lease you signed, 99.99% guarantee there is a clause in it about vehicle parking.

Second... pick up the phone speak to a manager and explain the situation, followed by a letter (preferably return receipt).

Third... taking the time now to get your registration straightened out will save you the time and expense required to straighten out a legal pissing contest over a towed vehicle later.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Someone in your apartment management chain contracted with a towing company, and the towing company is doing the policing on their own.  Said someone might even get a kickback for every car they tow.  Towing companies are some of the shadiest of any industry.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As far as the lease goes, no there is no specific language about the stickers or even plates.
View Quote
That's a very vague statement about the most important issue here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top