Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/2/2021 11:26:02 AM EDT
This happened near me.

https://twitter.com/Trackhound11/status/1466082122096066563?s=20

Evidently (*ETA this is as yet unconfirmed*) punchee was talking shit about puncher's mom and sister (who has downs syndrome) during the game.  Got knocked the fuck out for it.

Obviously puncher is going to pay a heavy price, already charged with a felony at 17yo.  But I can't shake the feeling that this is the natural outcome when a society enshrines the false belief that "words are violence".  

lots to discuss here, not sure where to start.  But it's better than the soap opera shit or covid threads, so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

That said... #4 Should have had his ass whipped by the blue.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That kid is screwed, and rightfully so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The guy who got punched may be sharing crayons and coloring books with the punchers sister after his head bounced off that floor.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This happened near me.

Evidently punchee was talking shit about puncher's mom and sister (who has downs syndrome) during the game.  
But I can't shake the feeling that this is the natural outcome when a society enshrines the false belief that "words are violence.
View Quote

People have always been like that. In every country , in every culture...  as long as humans have lived in societies. Talk shit about a man's sister or mother and you can expect him to slug the fuck out of you.  In some cultures if you do nothing to defend the honor of the women in your family you'd be labeled a coward. Stripped of the right to own land or vote.

Why on Earth would you think this is a new phenomenon, unique to our society ?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Yo momma!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People have always been like that. In every country , in every culture...  as long as humans have lived in societies. Talk shit about a man's sister or mother and you can expect him to slug the fuck out of you.  In some cultures if you do nothing to defend the honor of the women in your family you'd be labeled a coward. Stripped of the right to own land or vote.

View Quote
Yeah, that is a no from me.  

It is incredibly rare for someone to sucker punch someone in a handshake line after a basketball game for trash talking.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This happened near me.

Evidently punchee was talking shit about puncher's mom and sister (who has downs syndrome) during the game.  
But I can't shake the feeling that this is the natural outcome when a society enshrines the false belief that "words are violence.

Yeah, while I don't agree with the words are violence POV the idea that you can run your suck with impunity is a strange concept.  There are things one can say to me that would make me advise that person to be ready to defend themselves. Of course I'm not thinking of pulling a weapon but sometimes if you talk trash expect pain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This happened near me.

I was referring to the time and location of his physical response to the verbal taunting.  Otherwise I'd agree with you.  My point is when I was in school all that same kind of chirping happened and you just had to find the kid Saturday night out and about if you wanted to settle the score; you NEVER considered acting during the game, on school property, etc.  Now though?  Kid probably felt justified (eta: and therefore that there would not be harsh punishment) because "he was being attacked" or some gay shit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

He could try the "fighting words" deal, but that's been so watered down it might not fly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I would go with a good beatdown (if the comments about sister and mother are true) except the sucker punch instead of a handshake is beyond the pale.
Now it they got into it on the court, that's fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Fucked around; found out?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is incredibly rare for someone to sucker punch someone in a handshake line after a basketball game for trash talking.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A fight at a basketball game rare?

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I happen to have a grandson with downs and if you make fun of him you might get knocked the fuck out. His older brother is 14 years old,  6'2" and highly protective of his little brother. I say good punch.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a lot of shit talking at basketball games.

There are also ferals that are always looking for a fight.  Some of those ferals are adults/parents.

I’ve seen a lot of crazy shit at AAU games (less at high school games, but this is a pretty tame district).
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Right hand to the body then a right hand to the jaw. This should happen at every game. As a matter of fact it should be coached up everyday in practice and there is no reason to wait until the game is over to start slugging someone.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Was he actually talking about the kid's mom and sister, or BSing with run of the mill mom/sister taunts?

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I happen to have a grandson with downs and if you make fun of him you might get knocked the fuck out. His older brother is 14 years old,  6'2" and highly protective of his little brother. I say good punch.
View Quote
I agree
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A fight at a basketball game rare?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif
View Quote
In a handshake line after a high school game like I clearly stated?

Yeah, incredibly rare.  You know this is true but are trying to save face by using mockery.  Come on dude.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Sucker punching coward.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was he actually talking about the kid's mom and sister, or BSing with run of the mill mom/sister taunts?

View Quote

dunno, those are just the rumors (these schools are both nearby to me, small town Iowa is a very small world and the "grapevine" is extensive).  I don't even know if he has a special needs sister for fact.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I get the online inclination to declare "good punch" and "talk shit about my special needs *insert whoever* and I'll deck you too" but really from a parenting perspective, young men REALLY need to be taught better about discretion and controlling their emotions.  This kid altered the trajectory of his life downward, over what?  Taunts.  Because he chose the WORST possible time and place to react.  Because he couldn't muster the self control.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I would have done the same.  Sometimes you have to handle it then and there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably got called a "booger".
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

to look at it a different way - the taunting kid that got punched gets the last laugh.  He won.  Puncher is getting charged with a felony, while punchee is getting a few stitches.  Which one is going to have a longer lasting effect do you think?

And again, the content of the taunts are as yet unconfirmed
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The guy who got punched may be sharing crayons and coloring books with the punchers sister after his head bounced off that floor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh, I’m leaning towards good punch
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Over something that happened on the court during the game, either fouls or talking shit on each other - NOT OK

Talking shit on the court about your Mother and handicapped Brother - OK by me.

Remember back to your youth and how much wilder your emotions were back then.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sucker punching coward.
View Quote

This. If you're gonna punch a guy for talking shit, the time to do it is when he's talking shit, not when he's mandatorily putting his hand out as a gesture of sportsmanship after the game. Fuck that kid.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
He knows who his friends aren't.  #2 helped take down the attacker asap, #3 backed away like a vag, #4 went to administer aid.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

to look at it a different way - the taunting kid that got punched gets the last laugh.  He won.  Puncher is getting charged with a felony, while punchee is getting a few stitches.  Which one is going to have a longer lasting effect do you think?

View Quote

As an adult doubled his age I completely agree that there are definitely more pragmatic ways to go about getting back at him.  As a 17 year old kid (assuming taunts about the mom and slow sister were true) I would have beaten the shit out of him right then and there.  The taunting kid will definitely think twice before he opens his mouth now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Words are violence now, right?

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Before 2000 this would have meant a suspension most likely, and maybe an arrest. But these days it's definitely not tolerated.

It's easy to say "that's what I would have done" or he deserved it. But it takes a more mature mind to realize the consequences of violence, no matter the reason.

Obviously, the puncher was not in physical danger. I would say bad punch because he didn't need to stop an imminent threat of bodily harm.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Words are violence now, right?

View Quote

Nope, but some words will be met with violence.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Telegraphed the initial gut punch badly, but the second punch was pretty damn nice.  It's a shame the kid's a prick, he's got talent.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol basketball
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He knows who his friends aren't.  #2 helped take down the attacker asap, #3 backed away like a vag, #4 went to administer aid.
View Quote

no shit, and it was a GREAT takedown too.  Kid must have wrestled at some point in the past.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#38]
People need to expect to be punched in the mouth if they talk trash about anothers family.

Keep your opinions to yourself, do not wind up with your head bouncing off the floor.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As an adult doubled his age I completely agree that there are definitely more pragmatic ways to go about getting back at him.  As a 17 year old kid (assuming taunts about the mom and slow sister were true) I would have beaten the shit out of him right then and there.  The taunting kid will definitely think twice before he opens his mouth now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like we might actually agree.  Which brings us back around to my comment that fathers really owe it to their sons to teach them discretion and controlling their emotions, as much as they owe teaching them how to throw a punch (defend themselves in general).
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Class C Felony, arrested and released on bond  

According to what I found.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Punchee talked trash about the handicapped sister? Then he got what he deserved. Too bad the puncher didn't wait till the parking lot.
Because sometimes, violence IS the answer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The day is not over.  Guy with the stitches might find that it escalates even further now that there are fewer things that can be done to the puncher.

The first one is costly, the rest, meh, might as well be free.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. If you're gonna punch a guy for talking shit, the time to do it is when he's talking shit, not when he's mandatorily putting his hand out as a gesture of sportsmanship after the game. Fuck that kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sucker punching coward.

If you are not cheating, you don't want to win.  I never want a fair fight, do you?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#44]
back in my day (20 years ago) if the kid is shit talking all through the game at that level about the downs sister, you find a way to throw an elbow at their nose with plausible deniability, or you call the fuck face out at a house party over the weekend.

but i guess times are different now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Bunch of pussies in this thread.

"Well back in my day, if a lad had insulted my onion on a string, id merry him to a game of jacks and mutual handies"

Right he should have just caught him at the local corner store and insulted his suspenders in front of some girls. Or found him at the hang out spot where all the girls and boys bop to the music on Friday nights.

I know plenty of guys from "back in the day" that would have done worse than a punch in the face over some shit talking like that.

If the punched was talking shit, good hit don't go around talking shit on someone's disabled family. Sucks that punchers probably gonna have a load of legal fines, but hopefully he falls through one of those huge cracks in the justice system.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet it’s plead down.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I bet it's plead down.
View Quote
I'm sure
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Back in all our handshake lines the coaches led their teams through the lines. Why were there no coaches anywhere around?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Back in all our handshake lines the coaches led their teams through the lines. Why were there no coaches anywhere around?
View Quote
Ours were always at the back, so the Coaches could give the final shakes to each other and mention anything they wanted to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sucker punching coward.
View Quote
There are no rules.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top