Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/30/2021 9:54:40 PM EDT
Link

SpaceX employees received a nightmare email over the holiday weekend from CEO Elon Musk, warning them of a brewing crisis with its Raptor engine production that, if unsolved, could result in the company’s bankruptcy. The email, obtained by SpaceExplored, CNBC, and The Verge, urged employees to work over the weekend in a desperate attempt to increase production of the engine meant to power its next-generation Starship launch vehicle.

“Unfortunately, the Raptor production crisis is much worse than it seemed a few weeks ago,” Musk reportedly wrote. “As we have dug into the issues following exiting prior senior management, they have unfortunately turned out to be far more severe than was reported. There is no way to sugarcoat this.”

SpaceX did not immediately respond to Gizmodo’s request for comment but Musk did Tweet about the report Tuesday afternoon.

“The magnitude of the Starship program is not widely appreciated” Musk tweeted. “It is designed to extend life to Mars (and the moon), which requires ~1000 times more payload to orbit than all current Earth rockets combined.” Though Musk did not confirm or deny the email’s veracity he spoke to its content saying that, while he did not believe bankruptcy was likely, it wasn’t impossible either. The CEO went on to apparently quote Intel founder and former CEO Andrew Grove, writing “only the paranoid survive.”

In his email, Musk advised workers to cut their holiday weekend short and called for an “all hands on deck to recover from what is, quite frankly, a disaster.” Summing up the problem, Musk warned the company could face bankruptcy if it could not get Starship flights running once every two weeks in 2022. If all of this sounds familiar, that’s because Musk has previously spoken publicly about times where both SpaceX and Tesla were on the verge of bankruptcy in their early years. More recently Musk claimed Tesla came within “single digits” of bankruptcy as recent as 2018.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would appreciate that kinda transparency in my line of work
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
or IPO and...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
or IPO and...
View Quote

Or sell Tesla stock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
So without .gov Tesla would have failed?

Who knew people don't really want EVs...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or sell Tesla stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
or IPO and...

Or sell Tesla stock.

And dogecoin.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not believe the validity of this article from Gizmodo, anyone see other sources ?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Given that he makes a tweet qualifying that scenario and referring to it as "not impossible" and indicating that he believes it is paranoid but addressing the possibility in the event of a recession, the tone of the article seems a bit hyperbolic, and the tone of the email appears a bit speculative.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Sell Tesla to Ford. Focus on SpaceX.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems like the clarity surfaced after the departure of senior personnel.  What business controls should be in place to ensure clarity of program progress and financials?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The only feasible way of populating other planets/systems, is with a compact set of AI surrogates that care/foster our DNA.
Once we become established on other planets, maybe we can beam ourselves or consciousness at light speed using relays to ensure integrity.

There's no way for humans to populate the galaxy except for AI bots to farm/host the environment, then raise us from seeds when the time is right.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do not believe the validity of this article from Gizmodo, anyone see other sources ?
View Quote

The email, obtained by SpaceExplored, CNBC, and The Verge,
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seems like the clarity surfaced after the departure of senior personnel.  What business controls should be in place to ensure clarity of program progress and financials?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When this happens to the previous administrators, but without the KY wrestling co-eds, the new ones will be less likely to cook the books?

Old School - Van kidnapping

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have a problem with the email. It's a "hey we need to get our shit together" moment.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its legit. They have a lot riding on the raptor working and their ability to mass produce them. Elon has plenty of cash so it isn't an issue but if that rocket doesn't work or they can't make enough of them they will have issues.  The raptor is hugely complex and the only one of its kind.  

A bit of the issue is they are so good at getting stuff to orbit with falcon there isnt much to get to orbit anymore until companies catch up.  

Elon I think got a little surprised by the state of raptor progress but he is also exaggerating to motivate his employees. They are also trying to build a complex "new" rocket engine in mass quantities. Not a trivial undertaking.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Space exploration is wrong right now, total waste of resources and man power.
They claim to know all this cool shit from telescopes and everything is so incredibly out of reach it's worthless.

Unless we fix our problems at home, who gives a shit that it would take millions of years of travel to our closest star, or whatever the number is because it doesn't matter.

We're stuck here, the other planets aren't habitable.
If you want to expend our entire planet to habit mars, go for it, I don't care.

You literally need to expend our planet to inhabit mars.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
They don’t need the Raptor, they could just work on designing a more cost efficient Falcon 9 with a reusable second stage.

Cut the Starship (and it’s crew) and continue to collect that sweet Starlink income.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They claim to know all this cool shit from telescopes and everything is so incredibly out of reach it's worthless.

Unless we fix our problems at home, who gives a shit that it would take millions of years of travel to our closest star, or whatever the number is because it doesn't matter.

View Quote

Incredibly short sighted
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They don't need the Raptor, they could just work on designing a more cost efficient Falcon 9 with a reusable second stage.

Cut the Starship (and it's crew) and continue to collect that sweet Starlink income.
View Quote

Starlink v2 is the issue. Much bigger than V1 also more profitable. It doesnt work with falcon. They are bottlenecked with building terminals now. They are spending a huge amount to build a shit ton of them. But they need the V2 sats to make starlink really profitable. And they need starship to launch it. I think they were saying they needed 30k sats for it to be complete. Starship can hold 400 each launch and deliver them to their orbits much quicker.

Everything in the future hinges on starship and starship needs raptors.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]
All part of his game, he knows exactly how his controlled message will affect his money.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is an infinite amount of money floating around up there. Space mining is the future and step 1 to interplanetary travel becoming feasible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Problem is we will never fix our problems at home.  Our need to expand past this rock is more important than ever, once the left consolidates absolute power do you really think they will look at space outside of some probes and telescopes?  You can’t control people you can’t reach.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sell Tesla to Ford. Focus on SpaceX.
View Quote

Tesla is valued at 13x Ford market cap.
How could Ford buy it??
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Did I make it in before the Luddites and Musk haters or the space exploration is stupid and a waste of money people?

ETA Nope
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good thing the pilgrims didn't think like you.  The future is out there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Problem is we will never fix our problems at home.  Our need to expand past this rock is more important than ever, once the left consolidates absolute power do you really think they will look at space outside of some probes and telescopes?  You can’t control people you can’t reach.
View Quote

Everyone aspires to exploration, but this is it. It's futile, look at the numbers.

The only way to "leave" this planet is to send countless seed satellites to "colonize" another planet.

That bullshit sci-fi traveling star systems and creating a colony is just that, bullshit.
There is no star colony, it's literally impossible.

You can't communicate with star systems, there is nothing out there, it's truly impossible. There is just us right here, there is nothing else and will be nothing else for us.
We could send ourselves to other systems, but that doesn't matter, there is literally just us right here, right now, and that's all there will ever be.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only feasible way of populating other planets/systems, is with a compact set of AI surrogates that care/foster our DNA.
Once we become established on other planets, maybe we can beam ourselves or consciousness at light speed using relays to ensure integrity.

There's no way for humans to populate the galaxy except for AI bots to farm/host the environment, then raise us from seeds when the time is right.
View Quote

He knows this. There is something they want close enough to get is reason it’s being worked on.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Starlink v2 is the issue. Much bigger than V1 also more profitable. It doesnt work with falcon. They are bottlenecked with building terminals now. They are spending a huge amount to build a shit ton of them. But they need the V2 sats to make starlink really profitable. And they need starship to launch it. I think they were saying they needed 30k sats for it to be complete. Starship can hold 400 each launch and deliver them to their orbits much quicker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't need the Raptor, they could just work on designing a more cost efficient Falcon 9 with a reusable second stage.

Cut the Starship (and it's crew) and continue to collect that sweet Starlink income.

If the laser takes up that much more space then...   launch fewer.

Let’s be honest, the Starship is essentially a rich man’s pipe dream...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good thing the pilgrims didn't think like you.  The future is out there.
View Quote

Look at the "math."

I didn't say humans can't populate other planets, I'm saying WE can't ever venture to space.
The energy and time required is unbelievable.

You can live in your sci-fi tv episode all you want.

Fact is, you can create life on other worlds, to do that I think you need to create an ultimate AI foster parent/world builder. Then when you've send all of your world builders and AI care takers + our DNA, you'll end up with the same bullshit we have here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Everyone aspires to exploration, but this is it. It's futile, look at the numbers.

The only way to "leave" this planet is to send countless seed satellites to "colonize" another planet.

That bullshit sci-fi traveling star systems and creating a colony is just that, bullshit.

You can't communicate with star systems, there is nothing out there, it's truly impossible. There is just us right here, there is nothing else and will be nothing else for us.
We could send ourselves to other systems, but that doesn't matter, there is literally just us right here, right now, and that's all there will ever be.
View Quote

Sailing across the ocean is truly impossible you will sail right off the edge of the earth!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If the laser takes up that much more space then...   launch fewer.

Let’s be honest, the Starship is essentially a rich man’s pipe dream...
View Quote

its not a pipe dream. what they have now would be probably 1/20- the cost of SLS even if they never successfully land it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a kernel of truth in there; most space exploration really has very little practical benefit to us here.

However:

1). There is no reason to believe anything on earth would be any better off if every dollar spent on space was spent elsewhere. It’s a drop in the bucket that would’ve been misspent on pork somewhere else.

2). There is potentially a huge benefit for things like asteroid mining (or deflection for earth-killing ones). They might be far off, but not impossible, and the only way to get there is our current stepping stones.

3). “You don’t know what you don’t know”. There is always the potential of a massive, unforeseen breakthrough that could drastically impact humanity. What if experiments with EMdrive, or the LIGO project, or whatever suddenly unexpectedly unlocked antigravity or totally new methods of propulsion? Looking to space might be the only way it ever happens.

4). The pictures are real cool
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m paranoid and suspicious.

I think someone’s working some kind of angle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sailing across the ocean is truly impossible you will sail right off the edge of the earth!
View Quote

You do realize they didn't think that, and were incredible experts in their field?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they are all sold in Nashville.

It’s the new Accord here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should write sci-fi.
Really. I’m not shading.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been yelling that from the rooftops for the longest....

Same for Bezos, Google, Zuckerberg, Wally-Mart.

You get in bed with .gov and get rich off of the backs of us taxpayers.

Fuck all of them. They can't take their riches to hell with them and/or bargain with God.

But no, guaranteed on here Arfcom, the worship of Elon remains strong
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Posturing for more $$
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#41]
It's hard to put a # on the true cost to complete the transformation that Musk is attempting. My best guess is around 5-6x the world GDP. Fool hardy but it needs to be done.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your kind has existed throughout history. You’ve always been wrong.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Given that he makes a tweet qualifying that scenario and referring to it as "not impossible" and indicating that he believes it is paranoid but addressing the possibility in the event of a recession, the tone of the article seems a bit hyperbolic, and the tone of the email appears a bit speculative.
View Quote

Gizmodo is hyperbolic clickbait??????
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#44]

I don't understand, I think I'm positing realistic things here.
Do you believe you will be on a ship traveling at light speed to another solar system?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed...

God put us here on Earth and we all - including this planet and everything on it will DIE!!!

Why people waste so much time and money on trying to prolong their existence on this joke of a world is beyond me. Our goal should be heaven after Judgment Day....
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You should write sci-fi.
Really. I’m not shading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should write sci-fi.
Really. I’m not shading.

Ripped it off from Arthur C. Clarke.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Humans have literally "tried to fix their problems at home" since forever. And just because the scientific discoveries aren't there yet for sci-fi space travel doesn't mean it's never in the cards for the future. There was a point in our history where the horizon was the edge of the Earth, and everyone knew it. That was science, until it wasn't.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#48]
"Musk advised workers to cut their holiday weekend short...:

Great management.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Do you believe you will be on a ship traveling at light speed to another solar system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No me but somebody will.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Agreed...

God put us here on Earth and we all - including this planet and everything on it will DIE!!!

Why people waste so much time and money on trying to prolong their existence on this joke of a world is beyond me. Our goal should be heaven after Judgment Day....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed...

I want to party with you!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top