BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

It hurts a little to see all those vehicles lined up so tight and neat, and not getting lit up at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TylerF:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Igor19840405/status/1508818088489328642?s=20&[/tweet]

Russian troops pull back from Chernihiv.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1508793606261420036?ref_src=twsrc[/tweet]

VDV pulling back into Belarus

It hurts a little to see all those vehicles lined up so tight and neat, and not getting lit up at all.

Yeah but kinda makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.......
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

That looks super-fake.  

This, on the other hand, looks like it's definitely from Ukraine.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/42E3ADCE-8D2A-4B76-957D-F13C9B198A93-2330542.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Maybe this counts as some levity? Maybe these Russians were planning to make some propaganda? Who knows. All I know is that EK1 and fieldgrau aren't accurate!

Telegram

"A strange company of occupiers came near Izium. They write English-language slogans, draw the letter Z on the helmet and take the "parade" form with them. That's just the parade they do not see, and they remained under the raisins. @LastBP  | @UA_struggle"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/4C786062-B315-4C42-80D3-90D8935635B4_jpe-2327728.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/535872EB-053D-45DC-8105-A034C4DA8E67_jpe-2327729.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/0F030671-11BB-42D7-BF3B-BF85CD03E439_jpe-2327730.JPG

@DK-Prof
@Ben

Where did that M2 come from?

That looks super-fake.  

This, on the other hand, looks like it's definitely from Ukraine.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/42E3ADCE-8D2A-4B76-957D-F13C9B198A93-2330542.jpg
urm ,
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NBCMarine:

Who the fuck thinks putting a nuke on Russian soil will not kill a lot of civilians. It would kill half the world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NBCMarine:
Originally Posted By kncook:
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
Supposedly Putin is isolated somewhere in the Urals.  If
the Russians use a tactical nuke, a retaliatory strike on
his location would seem to be appropriate and not kill
a lot of innocent civilians.  

Doesn't even matter if it doesn't kill Putin because he'd be
unable to leave or communicate with the outside world.

Except he's in a nuclear bunker.

Who the fuck thinks putting a nuke on Russian soil will not kill a lot of civilians. It would kill half the world.
Plus the size of the nukes nowadays will seal anyone inside the bunker.  All the doors will be jammed.  They would need unknown escape routes, but I'm sure the USA has that knowledge already through satellites, and human intel.

I don't believe the nuclear arms limiting the size of the bombs are effective.  Russia probably has large nuclear bombs that are outlawed by treaties.  After, lying is what communist do.  It's when they tell the truth is what's shocking because it's so rare.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bluegrasscardinal:
Is there a good site to track current developments in the war?  This thread has turned into a WMD fantasy thread.
View Quote

Been watching this channel for the daily updates
https://youtube.com/c/SpeakTheTruth1

He's actually had some.pretty accurate stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
?? ?? ?????, ? ??????????? ?????, ??? ??????????, ?????? ? ??????? ?????????
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Haub:
https://i.redd.it/wdwrd5zsrbq81.jpg

"This is Roman Hrybov. On 24 February, 2022, Hrybov was serving as a border guard on assignment to Snake Island when the Russian cruiser Moskva issued an ultimatum to the thirteen border guards on the small island. Hrybov responded to Moskva with the now famous phrase, “Russky voyenny korabl, idi na khuy” (Russian Warship, Go F*** Yourself)

The thirteen defenders, believed to be dead, fought until they were out of ammunition and were taken prisoner by the Russians but have since been released in prisoner exchanges. Here we see Hrybov being awarded a medal upon his return home"
View Quote

I'd have thought they would have been the last to be exchanged, given their value to raise the spirits of their countrymen.

Great news though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russians-live-abroad-say-moscow-hardening-views-back-home-rcna20605
Insight into just how effective Russian propaganda is when it is already working on fertile ground.
View All Quotes
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russians-live-abroad-say-moscow-hardening-views-back-home-rcna20605

Leshchenko said talking to friends back home is increasingly difficult as the Kremlin takes further hold of the media and lines of communication. Those who haven't fled the country refuse to talk to her about the conflict, blame the West and the U.S., or say they may not like the war, but they feel they must support the regime and the military.

Another friend of Leshchenko's in Russia, who never shared an interest in politics before, asked her about the West's views and seemed curious to learn more. But then the friend argued that Russian attacks, such as the bombardment of a maternity hospital in Mariupol, were staged by the West. She insisted the woman photographed by The Associated Press being evacuated from the hospital was a prostitute and wore makeup to look as though she was in a bombing  a recent line of Russian propaganda.

Russian expats who spoke to NBC News also emphasized that Westerners, particularly Americans, don't fully grasp the ongoing undercurrent of anti-Western and anti-American sentiment that pervades public opinion there.

The Kremlin and many Russians view this as a war with the West and the U.S. That might surprise many Westerners, but some experts argue it is a defining feature of Russia's worldview.

In his book "The Return of the Russian Leviathan," Sergei Medvedev, a Russian social sciences professor at Moscow's Higher School of Economics, wrote that "Geopolitics in today's Russia is simply an ideology that justifies imperial ambitions and the state's priority over the individual in the allegedly eternal confrontation between Russia and the West in the battle for resources."

Leshchenko said that has been true for as long as she can remember. Americans and Westerners may believe they're not involved, but Russia views the U.S. and NATO as the actual threat they are fighting in Ukraine.

"Russians often blame the West for most things," she said. "Any time there was a problem within the country, who do you think was blamed? Usually America. And that's kind of what I grew up with. This is not something new: It has always been there."
Insight into just how effective Russian propaganda is when it is already working on fertile ground.
This is part of a game that Russia has played since the Russian Revolution. Always blame external enemies, no matter what the problem is, and especially if the problem is domestic. No matter how bad Moscow screws up its own people, they can play the external existential threat card and the people give them a pass. Russia's government has scrupulously dodged and evaded accountability for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mancat:
Destroy Russian naval assets in Kaliningrad and declare it is no longer Russian territory. Split it between Lithuania and Poland. Historically it's not Russian land. Isn't that what Russia likes doing and the same excuse for Crimea? Fine  let's play that game.
View Quote
That's what I've been saying since before the invasion. Russia doesn't respect others' territorial integrity? Make Kaliningrad Koengisberg again!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ha

Russia Abandons Troops #shorts

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By savoy3:
I haven't seen the Spetznaz Flip Shovel Throw in any of the actual combat footage we've seen. What are they waiting for?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By savoy3:

Wagner group are unprofessional slobs according to a contact who is former British special forces who had experiences with them in Africa. I was on his email a couple of weeks ago.

Ukrainian special forces beat the infamous Russian Spetznaz in at least three battles- I doubt the Wagner group is better than them.
I haven't seen the Spetznaz Flip Shovel Throw in any of the actual combat footage we've seen. What are they waiting for?

That would honestly be worth the war if we get a confirmed tactical shovel kill on video.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Lol.

Yes, they are still Russians- they just hate what their government is doing. Until Russia has an internal only internet (which they may do, but haven't yet), young people will continue to use their VPNs.

You're suggesting the people that left aren't talking to those who didn't? I don't know what else to tell you but you're very wrong, but you always seem to have better information than I do.

View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's temporary. It is/willbe illegal to say anything not supportive of the government. The potential penalties for violating the rule will scare the crap out of people. Toddlers repeat stuff. Parents and grandparents will aggressively conceal anything anti-russia from kids in an effort to protect themselves and their family. Kids will grow up hearing the propaganda the government wants them to be indoctrinated with. We already know what currently happens to people who just walk around and say stuff, they disappear into cop vans. Current street interviews show people are afraid and they are shutting up or they are repeating the govt talking points. I saw a thing recently where kids who talk to their parents in russia are not believed when they, in ukraine, tell their parents what is going on. The parents say it isn't true. Russia. I see no reason the iron fist will be any less effective this time. And the truth is that lots of russians are all into this "russia strong" ideology. I've seen it with 20-somethings in addition to pensioners. I'll bet the 20-something soviets will be willing to turn in their friends.

Most important. Lets say you are right, lets say there are a bunch of russians who don't believe the BS, so what? I don't believe it will make any difference in the real world russia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Kind of on a related theme to the Kasparov quote. I don't know the author so can't speak to his credentials or biases, RCD is just a good place to go when you want to see what the defense press and think tank crowd is writing about at the moment.

What Ukraine Needs Now

Even if one argues that the negotiations between the belligerents are, despite difficulties, making progress, it is clear from the historical record that Putin and Moscow regard such agreements, as did Germany in 1914, as mere "scraps of paper" to be broken expedient once it becomes to do so. We must therefore realize and then act accordingly that it does not serve Ukraine's or the West's interests. that this war "ends' with an inconclusive agreement that merely sets the stage for another round of hostilities. Instead, to prevent that kind of denouement, i.e. an endgame comparable to that of the Korean war or to other frozen conflicts in Eurasia that, as often as not, erupt into war, e.g., Nagorno-Karabakh, we must flood Ukraine with the weapons and technologies it needs to defeat Russia decisively and comprehensively.
View Quote

Very true. Unfortunately, I fear that some interests want and NEED a long term quagmire type mess in Ukraine to syphon relief funds, fund raise, and other long term corrupt scams.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Absolutely nailed it.

The US and the West should say straight out that the sections continue until Ukraine is free and whole according to borders it had when Russia signed the Budapest memo, and they need to repeat it. The Russian people need to hear that their economy is going to suffer because Russia refuses to abide by its own agreements and refuses to respect its neighbors. It's not the US or NATO or the EU that's doing this to Russia, it's Putin. And to go further, if Putin were to succeed in annexing Ukraine, Russia should expect to NEVER trade with the West again. Putting the USSR back together means that in every way. Bread lines, empty store shelves, shoddy goods and not enough of them, misery for all.

And did the planes make it to Ukraine yet? Hmm??
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Good thread here. I suspect he is correct.

Absolutely nailed it.

The US and the West should say straight out that the sections continue until Ukraine is free and whole according to borders it had when Russia signed the Budapest memo, and they need to repeat it. The Russian people need to hear that their economy is going to suffer because Russia refuses to abide by its own agreements and refuses to respect its neighbors. It's not the US or NATO or the EU that's doing this to Russia, it's Putin. And to go further, if Putin were to succeed in annexing Ukraine, Russia should expect to NEVER trade with the West again. Putting the USSR back together means that in every way. Bread lines, empty store shelves, shoddy goods and not enough of them, misery for all.

And did the planes make it to Ukraine yet? Hmm??

Amen Brother.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

A single warhead that works is better than 7 that do not.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Interesting thing about MIRVs is it looks like the US have up all MIRVs on ICBMs (but kept them on the trident SLBMs), while the Russians didn’t give up MIRVs on their ICBMs.  
Great deal by GHWBush!  not

A single warhead that works is better than 7 that do not.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are more prepared for nuclear war then us. We haven't really taken nuclear preparation serious for a long time. I bet they've spent the money to keep some of stuff ready.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By R0N:

I did 8 years in DC and got to brief or being involved in briefings to multiple elected and appointed officials, to include back benching for a brief to POTUS.  That time remove all my illusion about who runs the government.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Buckley’s statement is a generality. So statistically, it’s true. You can’t pull it out to defend a single person that is obviously checkered.

All generalities have exceptions, that don’t disprove the general wisdom. This is basic macroscopic/societal level logic.

I did 8 years in DC and got to brief or being involved in briefings to multiple elected and appointed officials, to include back benching for a brief to POTUS.  That time remove all my illusion about who runs the government.

Who does run the government?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]

That's what I've been saying since before the invasion. Russia doesn't respect others' territorial integrity? Make Kaliningrad Koengisberg again!
View Quote

It's a specific scenario that has been wargamed as an initial target in a war with Russia, including actual mock attack practice runs against the Kaliningrad Naval base

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/russia-fortifying-kaliningrad-nato-can-destroy-it-anyway-199168
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#18]
Very long run of EAMs on 4274 right now
Been reading them off for over ten minutes now to different parties
Went from :22 after the hour to about :41 after the hour, maybe another minute or two longer

Did not hear any Skykings , however
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote

Unelected Bureaucrats that you will never see or know the names of
They do as the please, maybe the follow the orders of the president, maybe they decline.   Not much anyone can do about it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:
I thunk the proper response to a nuke being used in Ukraine, would be a massive strike on assets outside of Russia.

Sink everything in the black sea. Everything.

F22's / 117s / tomahawks destroy every known Russian air defense system in Crimea and Ukraine proper.

Precision strikes on every unit around mariupol and Crimea. Allow Ukraine to take back Crimea, and mop up.
View Quote

I agree with this at a minimum. But what if russia lights off a second nuke? Third?

I dont think Russia believes the USA is committed 100%. They may gamble on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 74HC:

I would think drones should be easy to target because any worthwhile drone is going to transmit.  It's just that it's low tech and not profitable enough for our military industry to address.

They're probably trying to figure out how to put that on a multi-ten's of million dollar platform.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:
Russians are showing off the dead Azov battalion fighters in Mariupol, piles and piles of dead bodies.

They are using techniques they developed in Syria to clear the surrounding towns and industrial areas, who would have thought we are seeing tactics that worked in Aleppo, in Europe, in 2022...

The best weapons we could send to Ukraine now would be anti-drone systems, the Russians are just picking armor off using the Krasnopol 152mm guided artillery and their relatively cheap drones. I've counted at least 50 videos in the past few days. It's not on any western media because it's not part of the narrative, but this will have caused Nato a lot of worries because if you are within range and the drone spots you, you are a target.

I would think drones should be easy to target because any worthwhile drone is going to transmit.  It's just that it's low tech and not profitable enough for our military industry to address.

They're probably trying to figure out how to put that on a multi-ten's of million dollar platform.

Do you have a link ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Interesting thing about MIRVs is it looks like the US have up all MIRVs on ICBMs (but kept them on the trident SLBMs), while the Russians didn’t give up MIRVs on their ICBMs.  
View All Quotes

Correct. Most people think that a jet fighter can shoot down an ICBM or that we have some magic weapon - we don't. And then there are MIRV warheads which make nukes even more impossible to intercept. Basically, a MIRV warhead splits into multiple warheads with each hitting specific target so if a Russian ICBM reaches above the upper midwest, the MIRV activates and then separates into maybe five nukes which target: Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland,  Columbus,  and Toledo. (Just an example as Detriot and Cleveland would do more damage to the US if they are just left alone...)

But, leftists never wanted to spend any money on Strategic Defense Initiative-type defenses like Reagan-era "Star Wars" and some on the right didnt want any more money going to the "military industrial complex".

So we are screwed. Also, and very important, the democrats/Carter scuttled the Office of Civil Defense so now we have none (outside of preppers and survivalists who prepare for nukes) and many on the right bought into the leftist lie that nuclear war is not survivable out of ignorance and laziness. Now the left and right are like little girls whining about everytime Biden opens his mouth because they fear a nuclear war with Putin.

So, now Putin can threaten and do almost whatever he wants including yet another Russian genocide on the Ukrainian people. Next it will be Finland, then maybe Japan over the islands issue,  then maybe even hanging-out-in-the-wind Estonia, then who knows maybe even Hawaii.

For those not lazy and can admit to themselves that they dont really know about nuclear war preparedness and want to do what they can to protect their families, read the following:
The Good News About Nuclear Destruction

WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!

The owner of this company (along with Sen. Rick Santorum) saved the remaining civil defense radiation meters and calibration equipment that Clinton tried to destroy. Anyway, see this video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc4xI544IzY

And this is all relevant to this thread as there are hundreds of posts regarding the escalation of this war to nuclear war. The PBS interview I posted last night with the Putin's spokesperson from the Kremlin had nuclear war as its main topic.

Just like all of our treaties with the lying Russians,  a one way street favoring them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are more prepared for nuclear war then us. We haven't really taken nuclear preparation serious for a long time. I bet they've spent the money to keep some of stuff ready.
View Quote

Like they invested in their ground forces.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Very long run of EAMs on 4274 right now
Been reading them off for over ten minutes now to different parties
Went from :22 after the hour to about :41 after the hour, maybe another minute or two longer

Did not hear any Skykings , however
View Quote
@JQ66
Are you listening stateside or on a websdr?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

View All Quotes

Dangerous gamble to play. Possible they focused on their nuclear forces because they knew their ground forces couldn't compare. I believe they've said as much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Dangerous gamble to play. Possible they focused on their nuclear forces because they knew their ground forces couldn't compare. I believe they've said as much.
View Quote

They also said this "special military operation" was going as planned.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#28]
Originally Posted By CS223:
@JQ66
Are you listening stateside or on a websdr?
View Quote

Websdr - (utwente)
and meant to type 4724 khz

And he’s still reading them off
Maybe they’re repeats

I don’t have it up real loud as I’m in my cubicle area at work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Isn’t that the only thing they can say right now?

Either way, at some point you have to punch a bully in the teeth.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Wouldn’t it be great if he got Byraktar’d lol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Element94:
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

I don't think Kadyrov can do any worse than the clowns who are currently in charge. BTW he's not only a general, he's also a Hero of Russia, а member of Russian Academy of Sciences, and there is a bridge in St. Petersburg named after him.  According to Kadyrov himself, he killed his first Russian when he was 16.

He's a fucking turd.

Wouldn’t it be great if he got Byraktar’d lol.

Even better captured alive and executed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GlockZen:
This dude is living as "real"  a life as an IG model

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPA-ZMFWUAAv2Ya?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

What a farking dumbass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Lol.

Yes, they are still Russians- they just hate what their government is doing. Until Russia has an internal only internet (which they may do, but haven't yet), young people will continue to use their VPNs.

You're suggesting the people that left aren't talking to those who didn't? I don't know what else to tell you but you're very wrong, but you always seem to have better information than I do.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

It's already undone with much of the younger generation. That's why as of two weeks ago about 250k young Russians left Russia. They're just waiting for the Soviet era folks to die.

But I've said this before, and nobody wants to listen so...

Yeah. But the iron curtain is now almost closed again and I expect it will stay that way. Toddlers will grow up with the propaganda and hear it reinforced by their grandparents. Their parents will shut the fuck up for fear of being picked up by the secret police. Interviews in russia show it is happening right now.
There is a reason those 250k are not staying. Their opinions will not be shared with others in russia. They are basically no longer russians.

Lol.

I hope you're right and I'd love to hear some anecdotal evidence to improve my outlook.

With that said, every bit of person to person communications I've seen so far has pointed to them buying the farcical government line.  And to the point that they're calling relatives living abroad liars and the actual soldiers in Ukraine ignorant of the situation in Ukraine. That's also anecdotal but based on what's been reported you can't blame people for having a pessimistic outlook.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Very true. Unfortunately, I fear that some interests want and NEED a long term quagmire type mess in Ukraine to syphon relief funds, fund raise, and other long term corrupt scams.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Kind of on a related theme to the Kasparov quote. I don't know the author so can't speak to his credentials or biases, RCD is just a good place to go when you want to see what the defense press and think tank crowd is writing about at the moment.

What Ukraine Needs Now

Even if one argues that the negotiations between the belligerents are, despite difficulties, making progress, it is clear from the historical record that Putin and Moscow regard such agreements, as did Germany in 1914, as mere "scraps of paper" to be broken expedient once it becomes to do so. We must therefore realize and then act accordingly that it does not serve Ukraine's or the West's interests. that this war "ends' with an inconclusive agreement that merely sets the stage for another round of hostilities. Instead, to prevent that kind of denouement, i.e. an endgame comparable to that of the Korean war or to other frozen conflicts in Eurasia that, as often as not, erupt into war, e.g., Nagorno-Karabakh, we must flood Ukraine with the weapons and technologies it needs to defeat Russia decisively and comprehensively.

What you describe has been a feature of all wars. Sometimes it takes the form of fraud, waste, and abuse (criminal conduct), and sometimes war is just horrendously wasteful and expensive by itself (e.g., whatever KBR's cost per gallon of fuel was, once it finally reach the end user, which wasn't even substantially KBRs fault).

And, what you describe is all the more reason to end this conflict quickly and decisively. The longer it drags on, the more those interests become entrenched, and it turns into a self-licking ice cream cone. See: Afghanistan after about...2002.

So the longer we wait, not only do the European politicians get away with paying for the freedom and security they enjoy down to the last Ukrainian (a moral crime of sorts by itself), but we are also increasing the risk of empowering those interest groups you mentioned.

If we can't put any boots on the ground in Ukraine (understandable and probably wise), then we should be training Ukrainians forces on everything we have already been sending, PLUS air and ballistic missile defenses, fighter aircraft, and anything else conventional we can think of, to get the Russians off their territory.

Zelensky already made comments to this effect, asking how many dead women and children per day was acceptable to Europe before they would act. And he needs to keep verbally kicking them in the balls, until the pain of those insults causes them to reach down and find them again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#34]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

What a farking dumbass.
View All Quotes

What a farking dumbass.

Here let me set down my PKM that I'm just carrying around everywhere because I'm Chechen He-Man but I gotta take a fiver for Allah

Lol fucking right
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Subnetwork:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subnetwork:

So they planned on killing thousands of innocent people and causing billions of dollars in damage to a people that were minding their own business?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Leshchenko said talking to friends back home is increasingly difficult as the Kremlin takes further hold of the media and lines of communication. Those who haven't fled the country refuse to talk to her about the conflict, blame the West and the U.S., or say they may not like the war, but they feel they must support the regime and the military.

Another friend of Leshchenko's in Russia, who never shared an interest in politics before, asked her about the West's views and seemed curious to learn more. But then the friend argued that Russian attacks, such as the bombardment of a maternity hospital in Mariupol, were staged by the West. She insisted the woman photographed by The Associated Press being evacuated from the hospital was a prostitute and wore makeup to look as though she was in a bombing  a recent line of Russian propaganda.

Russian expats who spoke to NBC News also emphasized that Westerners, particularly Americans, don't fully grasp the ongoing undercurrent of anti-Western and anti-American sentiment that pervades public opinion there.

The Kremlin and many Russians view this as a war with the West and the U.S. That might surprise many Westerners, but some experts argue it is a defining feature of Russia's worldview.

In his book "The Return of the Russian Leviathan," Sergei Medvedev, a Russian social sciences professor at Moscow's Higher School of Economics, wrote that "Geopolitics in today's Russia is simply an ideology that justifies imperial ambitions and the state's priority over the individual in the allegedly eternal confrontation between Russia and the West in the battle for resources."

Leshchenko said that has been true for as long as she can remember. Americans and Westerners may believe they're not involved, but Russia views the U.S. and NATO as the actual threat they are fighting in Ukraine.

"Russians often blame the West for most things," she said. "Any time there was a problem within the country, who do you think was blamed? Usually America. And that's kind of what I grew up with. This is not something new: It has always been there."

Look at how well it’s worked in the US.
 Read any thread on here about the matter that isn’t this one,look on the Instagram and Twitter feeds of the populist  right influencers,look at Fox News 🤷🏼‍♂️

At least Russians have some kind of excuse.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#37]
Looks like Ukraine just struck inside Russia near Belgorod.

Large explosion looks to be ammo dump. https://mobile.twitter.com/BNONews/status/1508878673021214722
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Interesting the story is about a 152mm guided projectile, but they open with photo of a D30 122mm howitzer.  There is a 122mm guided shell also called the Kitolov, I am sure some of the attacks being conducted are being done with that round also.
View All Quotes
Russians are showing off the dead Azov battalion fighters in Mariupol, piles and piles of dead bodies.

They are using techniques they developed in Syria to clear the surrounding towns and industrial areas, who would have thought we are seeing tactics that worked in Aleppo, in Europe, in 2022...

The best weapons we could send to Ukraine now would be anti-drone systems, the Russians are just picking armor off using the Krasnopol 152mm guided artillery and their relatively cheap drones. I've counted at least 50 videos in the past few days. It's not on any western media because it's not part of the narrative, but this will have caused Nato a lot of worries because if you are within range and the drone spots you, you are a target.

Great (but sad) update, thank you.

Interesting the story is about a 152mm guided projectile, but they open with photo of a D30 122mm howitzer.  There is a 122mm guided shell also called the Kitolov, I am sure some of the attacks being conducted are being done with that round also.

Its overall an interesting and I think worthwhile concept for the US / West to look into.

Namely, pairing small cheap drones with laser designators too long range guided artillery shells.

We could see something like a Squad level Quadcopter w/ laser designator calling in precision support fires. This would also allow a sort of '80/20 close air support' in contested airspace / areas full of MANPADS that would prevent normal CAS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

I get that, but I think we have done ourselves a great disservice as a nation by not preparing for this moment. Civil defense, nuclear defense, modernizing our own nuclear weapons, etc. All that hasn't been properly funded. Even in the 1980s liberals scoffed at Reagans star wars defense, and they'll been trying to weaken our nuclear defense all the time like they do everything else.

Russia may be well ahead of us. I don't know for sure, and probably none of us here really know for certain the extent of our nuclear capabilities and defense compared to theirs, but I am concerned.

Do you still punch that bully in the teeth when you are definitely going to lose ? Is that the case here, I don't know but someone probably does.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Large explosion looks to be ammo factory. https://mobile.twitter.com/BNONews/status/1508878673021214722
View Quote

Don’t assume it was Ukraine. Could easily be a false flag or Russians against the war sabotaging it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#42]

It's already undone with much of the younger generation. That's why as of two weeks ago about 250k young Russians left Russia. They're just waiting for the Soviet era folks to die.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

It would take 2 generations to undo that crap. Until russia has good exposure to the rest of the world for 2 generations, russians will continue to be soviets. Americans need to come to the understanding they are not like us and they will not be like us anytime soon.

The old Soviets don’t understand current Russian demographics and have zero idea what they are doing to their country.

Don’t get me wrong,I am MUCH happier that Russia’s best and brightest aren’t willing to work for the regime and won’t be there to make the Russian army class of 2040.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#43]

Its overall an interesting and I think worthwhile concept for the US / West to look into.

Namely, pairing small cheap drones with laser designators too long range guided artillery shells.

We could see something like a Squad level Quadcopter w/ laser designator calling in precision support fires. This would also allow a sort of '80/20 close air support' in contested airspace / areas full of MANPADS that would prevent normal CAS.
View All Quotes

Great (but sad) update, thank you.

We already have it M982
There's some physics issues with guiding a bullet and it costs a lot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

The US has had that capability for a very long time, it is not unusual to use UAS to adjust fire or attack targets with indirect fire.  The artillery community was one of the first to have drones, and during desert storm they were used to attack targets with indirect fire.  

We abandoned laser guided artillery projectiles in favor of coordinate seeking weapons because using lasers was just a lot harder to do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Here let me set down my PKM that I'm just carrying around everywhere because I'm Chechen He-Man but I gotta take a fiver for Allah

Lol fucking right
View All Quotes

What a farking dumbass.

Lol fucking right

And lying shows how faithful he isn't
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#46]

Don’t assume it was Ukraine. Could easily be a false flag or Russians against the war sabotaging it.
View All Quotes

Large explosion looks to be ammo factory. https://mobile.twitter.com/BNONews/status/1508878673021214722

The video I looked at sure appeared to have weapons secondaries in the blast.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

View Quote

Interesting that the camera happened to be pointing in exactly the right direction that night to show the initial explosion.  Security cam or somebody knew...?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

The old Soviets don’t understand current Russian demographics and have zero idea what they are doing to their country.

Don’t get me wrong,I am MUCH happier that Russia’s best and brightest aren’t willing to work for the regime and won’t be there to make the Russian army class of 2040.
View Quote

Brain drain was already a problem.

Another 250k in the past couple of weeks?   Russia is a zombie.   It may be aggressive and capable of doing alot of damage but its already dead and doesn't know it yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

It just seems it’s so close the Kharkiv where Ukraine is pushing back now through it would make sense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#50]
United Kingdom MOD comments/map for 3-29 as posted on FB.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5589
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top