BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5583
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Ironic(maybe)that Russia’s mobilization kicked off WW1.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lokifox:

True story regarding a Russian aircraft mechanic...

American guy buys a Soviet plane, imports an ex-mil mechanic to give her the old lookie loo.

Mechanic goes through everything and keeps saying  "it's good but not so good".

Finally the plane's owner asks for clarification... Mechanic says "it will fly, but I wouldn't fly in it".

True story.
View Quote

@m35ben

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Fuck him and his mom.

They were fine with other people dying in the war.

They were fine with the war until it was his turn in the grinder.

View Quote

Maybe, but not all Russians support the war.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DonS:

"the deficit will be covered by government spending"--what does that mean?

I assume they mean they are printing money?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

It means no tax increase. Could be printing, could be reserves.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Approximately 275-325lbs of tungsten.

That's quite the payload. No wonder at all why the terminal effects are thorough and downright spectacular.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:
Originally Posted By Capta:
Drone view of a GMLRS hit on small ammo dump - good view of the frag pattern and how devastating these are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xl2sjb/aerial_view_of_the_impact_moment_of_two_m31a1/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Mother of God.

I would really hate to be anywhere near the receiving end of that. That is an otherworldly level of consistent fragmentation. That's one hell of a circle of death.

They go off about 30ft above you, test footage of what that looked like to the Grad crew.
40 seconds in is the closest footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5h7BkCj5rI

As far as I can tell - and I found that video a few minutes ago while digging - the M31A1 is basically a long-range remote shotgun. It's insane. However much that costs per round? It's 100% worth it.

That is the M30, the M31 has a 200lbs class unitary warhead, while the M30 added tungsten spheres to the case of the warhead.

Dare I ask how many? 100k+?

Currently over 50,000 guided m-30 and m-31's and counting at about 10,000 per year.

Not what I meant - how many tungsten BBs in the M30 version.

ETA: The number I came up with in a search is pretty huge. 182000 tungsten balls. Of course it also says M31 has tungsten and M30 doesn't so who knows.

Sorry I misunderstood the question, your very close, the number is 180,000 bb sized tungsten balls.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/the_new_m30a1_gmlrs_alternate_warhead_to_replace_cluster_bombs_for_us_army_central_71601171.html

the new M30A1 round is being implemented to limit duds by replacing the smaller explosives with 180,000 tungsten steel bee-bee-sized balls. “This particular round will be effective against light skinned vehicles and personnel,” he said.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/news/2017/january/The_new_M30A1_Guided_MLRS_Alternate_Warhead_to_replace_cluster_bombs_002.jpg

That's quite the payload. No wonder at all why the terminal effects are thorough and downright spectacular.

'Spensive though... and spectacular though it may be, it's probably only marginally better than bomblets. If at all.
The original cola had this knack of crushing target units morale so bad that the survivors just fucking surrendered mostly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
If Russia is really willing to throw a million dudes into this fight...even if they are poorly trained, poorly equipped and lack motivation, it will still be a million dudes. Can Ukraine hold out against these sort of numbers?
View Quote

They don't have the equipment nor the arms to get those dudes any chance at war...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

I don't think anyone, anywhere just wants to rack up a body count.  This is an oversimplification.  The sad truth of the matter is that we in the west DO live in democracies and there is an uncomfortable intersection of what is correct, and what is possible.  Rushing all-in in February might have resulted in less bloodshed over the long-term.  But that was both unclear at the time, and simply impossible.  It would never, ever become possible without a reasonable facsimile of consensus by the populations of NATO countries.  We *might* be getting there soon.  

Fortunately, we are getting there and hopefully we will get a "new '91."  A chance to engage Russia to shed it's toxic leadership dynamic and join a better world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Those in charge of Western countries dont want to win it..yet... they want to kill Russians.  That ideology is all together more dangerous because it allows for the opportunity for things to get out of hand.

I don't think anyone, anywhere just wants to rack up a body count.  This is an oversimplification.  The sad truth of the matter is that we in the west DO live in democracies and there is an uncomfortable intersection of what is correct, and what is possible.  Rushing all-in in February might have resulted in less bloodshed over the long-term.  But that was both unclear at the time, and simply impossible.  It would never, ever become possible without a reasonable facsimile of consensus by the populations of NATO countries.  We *might* be getting there soon.  

Fortunately, we are getting there and hopefully we will get a "new '91."  A chance to engage Russia to shed it's toxic leadership dynamic and join a better world.

We could have sold them patriots and other things, SOLD, and non of this would have happened.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

They don't have the equipment nor the arms to get those dudes any chance at war...
View All Quotes
If Russia is really willing to throw a million dudes into this fight...even if they are poorly trained, poorly equipped and lack motivation, it will still be a million dudes. Can Ukraine hold out against these sort of numbers?

But they do have the vodka.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

'Spensive though... and spectacular though it may be, it's probably only marginally better than bomblets. If at all.
The original cola had this knack of crushing target units morale so bad that the survivors just fucking surrendered mostly.
View All Quotes
Drone view of a GMLRS hit on small ammo dump - good view of the frag pattern and how devastating these are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xl2sjb/aerial_view_of_the_impact_moment_of_two_m31a1/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Mother of God.

I would really hate to be anywhere near the receiving end of that. That is an otherworldly level of consistent fragmentation. That's one hell of a circle of death.

They go off about 30ft above you, test footage of what that looked like to the Grad crew.

As far as I can tell - and I found that video a few minutes ago while digging - the M31A1 is basically a long-range remote shotgun. It's insane. However much that costs per round? It's 100% worth it.

That is the M30, the M31 has a 200lbs class unitary warhead, while the M30 added tungsten spheres to the case of the warhead.

Currently over 50,000 guided m-30 and m-31's and counting at about 10,000 per year.

ETA: The number I came up with in a search is pretty huge. 182000 tungsten balls. Of course it also says M31 has tungsten and M30 doesn't so who knows.

Sorry I misunderstood the question, your very close, the number is 180,000 bb sized tungsten balls.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/the_new_m30a1_gmlrs_alternate_warhead_to_replace_cluster_bombs_for_us_army_central_71601171.html

the new M30A1 round is being implemented to limit duds by replacing the smaller explosives with 180,000 tungsten steel bee-bee-sized balls. “This particular round will be effective against light skinned vehicles and personnel,” he said.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/news/2017/january/The_new_M30A1_Guided_MLRS_Alternate_Warhead_to_replace_cluster_bombs_002.jpg

Total or up warhead weight is approximately 200 pounds including explosive and preformed fragments. The AW Tungsten ball warhead was selected as a cheaper alternative to the various in development a DPICM replacements, it is slightly more effective than unitary on area targets, but it really is not all that effective against the full range of targets that DPICM was to be used against
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By absael:
Yes; the rotors are blown off just before the canopy and the seats... hopefully, from their perspective.  Not so much from mine.
View Quote

I was hoping for an interrupter gear thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

We could have sold them patriots and other things, SOLD, and non of this would have happened.
View Quote

If what you mean is that 2014 should have been the tripwire and opened up the arms sales/transfers - I'm with you.  Shameful the way the west responded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#14]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Huh. Turkey and goose duplex load. I'll be damned.
View All Quotes

It saved on cost and non toxic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Send them the entire pokemon collection.   Send em all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
Can I invest in Russian mortuary services?
View Quote
Just buy a dump truck.

m
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Total or up warhead weight is approximately 200 pounds including explosive and preformed fragments. The AW Tungsten ball warhead was selected as a cheaper alternative to the various in development a DPICM replacements, it is slightly more effective than unitary on area targets, but it really is not all that effective against the full range of targets that DPICM was to be used against
View All Quotes

Mother of God.

I see - so it's 180k or so of various size tungsten balls with BB sized being the biggest not 180k of 0.171" tungsten balls. That makes way more sense - and somehow makes it no less terrifying.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#19]

I was hoping for an interrupter gear thing.
View Quote

For an airframe in motion, explosive release is much safer for the crew - it's well clear of the airframe before they get slip-streamed around it.  Even as far back as the 1940s, the XB-42 had an explosively separated engine/prop/empennage in the event of a bail-out (it had pusher contra-rotating props).

https://planehistoria.com/experimental/douglas-xb-42

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Send them the entire pokemon collection.   Send em all.
View Quote

We should have been sending atacms daily
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

I wonder how long it will take for some of these new draftees to start showing up back home in zinc coffins.

When young guys from Moscow and St. Petersburg start getting killed, you will see the domestic situation go sideways real quick for Putin.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Cleaned out Putin's couch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

God knows you wouldn't want to be blown to hamburger by something that's toxic
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By replicators:

Pretty sure it blows the rotor blades off as part of the ejection process.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By replicators:
Originally Posted By ContraHQ:

Ejection seats into twin 3 blade rotors? Am I missing something?

Pretty sure it blows the rotor blades off as part of the ejection process.

Best move would be leave those for the enemy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:59:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonS] [#26]

If what you mean is that 2014 should have been the tripwire and opened up the arms sales/transfers - I'm with you.  Shameful the way the west responded.
View Quote

Obama wouldn't even send Javelins.

That Fiona Hill woman, who looks like Dr Evil's minion (and, well, she is), wrote a piece for IIRC WaPo back around 2015 arguing against sending weapons (can't upset Putin!). She's supposed to be a Ukraine expert but is a political hack. Hence why she also showed up in the Trump impeachment over the phone call.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

When it’s your farmland, yeah, nontoxic is better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Question: What do you guys think the new additions to the next few aid packages from us and Western Europe will be?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#29]

For an airframe in motion, explosive release is much safer for the crew - it's well clear of the airframe before they get slip-streamed around it.  Even as far back as the 1940s, the XB-42 had an explosively separated engine/prop/empennage in the event of a bail-out (it had pusher contra-rotating props).

https://planehistoria.com/experimental/douglas-xb-42

View Quote

Yeah. I just thought an interrupter gear for that on a Russian helo would be funny.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]

n North Ossetia, cars with license plates from other regions were no longer allowed to pass towards the border with Georgia: the queue of those seeking to leave the war stretched for 15 kilometers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Glass fiber is even more nontoxic
Unfortunately, the pursuit of nontoxic explosives remains academic

Don't get me wrong. Nontoxic good. Toxic bad. Trade offs also bad.
The intelligent choice is the one that shortens the war. Can't farm if you're dead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

@m35ben

View Quote
Sounds like something I would say about some of the things I work on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah. I just thought an interrupter gear for that on a Russian helo would be funny.
View Quote

Ah, gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdSnA8dXoAE3ZbE?format=jpg&name=medium

View Quote
Wow so many really don't want to go
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Question: What do you guys think the new additions to the next few aid packages from us and Western Europe will be?
View Quote

Hopefully atacms and dozens of more himars
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Fuck him and his mom.

They were fine with other people dying in the war.

They were fine with the war until it was his turn in the grinder.

I know, but, in this case, all my sympathy is reserved for the invaded. Not the invader.

Russians can go fuck themselves. I hope every single one of them that sets foot in Ukraine dies.

Their behavior in this war has shown once again what Russian culture is, and what kind of people that culture produces.

The world will be better off without them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#38]

I know, but, in this case, all my sympathy is reserved for the invaded. Not the invader.

Russians can go fuck themselves. I hope every single one of them that sets foot in Ukraine dies.

Their behavior in this war has shown once again what Russian culture is, and what kind of people that culture produces.

View Quote

This video does a good job of explaining why Russians are the way they are. Pretty much impossible to unfuck them.

The Origins of Russian Authoritarianism
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Stevo89:

This video does a good job of explaining why Russians are the way they are. Pretty much impossible to unfuck them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZqBLcIvw0
View Quote

It's a good video. It's one of the many things that started convincing me they really are not like us. They think in ways that we honestly think don't make sense.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#41]

It's a good video. It's one of the many things that started convincing me they really are not like us. They think in ways that we honestly think don't make sense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stevo89:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZqBLcIvw0

Think of it as societal "Battered Woman Syndrome."

They were making good progress unfucking themselves under Yeltsin and the basic nature of kleptocracy (Universal Corruption) kicked in.
Big money and violent thieves... Peanut butter and jelly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I do understand not all russians support the invasion. But I also understand there is a reason this top down/aristocracy/ruler culture exists. It's because enough of  the people there are OK with it. In other countries eventually the people get to the point they are willing to mass rush the machineguns if they have to in order to win freedom for their children. Not russia.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73-lCnIgE4

Niki Proshin - This guy is so oblivious as to what’s gonna happen to him.
View Quote

I don’t see him making it through whatever will pass for recruit training……the “grandfathers” will eat him alive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#44]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2A373] [#45]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Look at the chart that Zeihan frequently refers to. Notice how few young men they really have? This is going to be a catastrophe for Russia.

[ETA] Also: If you're a Russian male in your mid-40s or older: There are a TON of extra chicks for you.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Russian_population_%28demographic%29_pyramid_%28structure%29_on_January%2C_1st%2C_2022.png
View Quote

Looks to me the war is reducing their surplus of young men.

Shouldn't the lack of young women be the cause of their impending population catastrophe?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Hindsight is 20/20.

Ukraine was still infested with pro-Russian scum even after Maidan. The independence folks and anti-corruption folks did not have enough strength to convince the rest of the world that such an investment was appropriate. But yes, the response to the 2014 invasion was a complete disaster.

I also say that when it became apparent that a new invasion was coming at the beginning of the year, there should have been an immediate ramping up, not waiting on the invasion. They should have brought pilots & ground crews to the US for training, and started other training & transfer programs. Biggest of all, western leadership failed at calling the situation what it was. Even now, US leadership fails to appeal to international law and the treaties that Russia itself signed obligating them to respect Ukraine's sovereignty and borders. This drum should be beaten in every public statement by every US diplomat and executive branch leader; Russia needs to abide by its commitments and return to its borders.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Putin throwing 300,000 plus men into battle might be planing on overwhelming the Ukraine soldiers ability to feed and guard that many new POWs.
Obviously the russians can not keep that many new men supplied as they can't supply the ones in battle now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdR4u9bWYAAYHF5?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Are those junctions in HIMARS range?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn, even China stated today at the UN that Ukraine's territorial integrity should be upheld. The Putin regime must feel pretty lonely right now when even China is publicly saying they should end this shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Are those junctions in HIMARS range?
View Quote
Whether or not the interior junctions are, the assembly yards and marshalling points are. The only thing better than killing a brigade of orcs, is killing them all with their resupply and equippage before they ever enter the fight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5583
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top