Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Saudi Arabia did sign a mysterious defense agreement with Russia last year, nobody seems to know what was in it. Putin may have made some friends there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

I think Russia hasn't used their 5th Gen fighters in Ukraine because they know they will be shot down... because they know they aren't the least bit stealthy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

You mat be correct, but do you think any of the 10s of thousands of equipment in storage is worth a shit?  The stuff they sent to the front lines on the race to Kyiv didn't even work, and that should have been some of their best shit on their main objective.  Now we expect tanks and gear sitting for 30 years to be maintained and actually work?  We have learned stuff in storage does NOT equal usable equipment.  

I do not believe Russia "saved" any of their best gear except maybe a few of their actually gen 5 fighters.

I think Russia hasn't used their 5th Gen fighters in Ukraine because they know they will be shot down... because they know they aren't the least bit stealthy.

IIRC they only ever built 6 of them, and one of them crashed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

They didn't leave them to die. They went to get help!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

They didn't leave them to die. They went to get help!
Just like their fathers said theyd be right back when they 'went out to get smokes.'
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DonS:

Well, he's letting women drive and own guns, and he also got rid of a WaPo "reporter", so he's not all bad.
View Quote

Yeah cuz murdering us citizens is awesome
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Hypothetically, let’s say I had a detail recover the remains of a hundred KIA GIs in Normandy or the Bulge.

What do you think that looks like?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:

They're not exactly treating the 200s with reverence and care.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-09-19_14-59-06_jpg-2534372.JPG

Hypothetically, let’s say I had a detail recover the remains of a hundred KIA GIs in Normandy or the Bulge.

What do you think that looks like?

Absolutely nothing like a dump truck with smashed, uncovered bodies in it, there are photos and the bodies are all covered and stacked neatly. They would even cover with jacket or shirt if body bag/sheet wasn’t available.

The Russians shovel their dead into cattle cars like Holocaust victims. Life is cheap in mother Russia.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Flag-draped zinc coffins coming off a cargo bird at Dover, with an honor guard?

If out in the actual field where they died, they'd go in body bags or expedient disposable coffins.
View Quote

Um, no.

The infantry keep advancing, the wounded are evacuated. When its safe, the graves registration troops will show up, and they move the KIA, friendly and enemy, to the rear for hasty burial.  KIA are moved in the back of a deuce and a half.  

In WWII they didn't bother with field expedient coffins (there is no such thing) or body bags.  Those were in the rear at the burial site, where they'd take personal effects, a dog tag, and put them in mattress covers to interr

Dead soldiers in the back of a truck, coming back from field recovery, some with rigor,  look like this.

How Armies operate in major conventional operations with a KIA rate 20-30times what we're used to is not how it looks like in OIF/OEF.

Look, Ill bash Russians with the rest of them, but if you dont have a frame of reference for how it's done right, then how do you know otherwise?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

You mat be correct, but do you think any of the 10s of thousands of equipment in storage is worth a shit?  The stuff they sent to the front lines on the race to Kyiv didn't even work, and that should have been some of their best shit on their main objective.  Now we expect tanks and gear sitting for 30 years to be maintained and actually work?  We have learned stuff in storage does NOT equal usable equipment.  

I do not believe Russia "saved" any of their best gear except maybe a few of their actually gen 5 fighters.

It could also be that they only have enough functional ones for air shows and parades and NOT real life deployment.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ContraHQ] [#8]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I was in a hurry and math isnt my strong stronk suit!😳
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So in regards to mlrs systems, is there any plans for using rocket assisted torpedo's?  Launch from a himars parachute into a location where an enemy sub may be and use active sonar to find it.

Probably stupid but probably thought of.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

I would offer him an estate in the United States, which he could never leave.
View Quote
Martha's Vineyard? He'll be right at home with his fellow authoritarians.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By YaNi05:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By YaNi05:

I would offer him an estate in the United States, which he could never leave.

Probably not. I'm pretty sure his demands would exceed that of 50 Venezuelans.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PanzerOfDoom] [#12]
Originally Posted By stgdz:
So in regards to mlrs systems, is there any plans for using rocket assisted torpedo's?  Launch from a himars parachute into a location where an enemy sub may be and use active sonar to find it.

View Quote

ASROC
SUBROC(kind of) Big Bada Swish
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Um, no.

The infantry keep advancing, the wounded are evacuated. When its safe, the graves registration troops will show up, and they move the KIA, friendly and enemy, to the rear for hasty burial.  KIA are moved in the back of a deuce and a half.  

In WWII they didn't bother with field expedient coffins (there is no such thing) or body bags.  Those were in the rear at the burial site, where they'd take personal effects, a dog tag, and put them in mattress covers to interr

Dead soldiers in the back of a truck, coming back from field recovery, some with rigor,  look like this.

How Armies operate in major conventional operations with a KIA rate 20-30times what we're used to is not how it looks like in OIF/OEF.

Look, Ill bash Russians with the rest of them, but if you dont have a frame of reference for how it's done right, then how do you know otherwise?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Flag-draped zinc coffins coming off a cargo bird at Dover, with an honor guard?

If out in the actual field where they died, they'd go in body bags or expedient disposable coffins.

Um, no.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

At the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium, covering 57 acres, rest 7,987 of our military dead... The cemetery possesses great military historic significance as it holds fallen Americans of two major efforts, one covering the U.S. First Army's drive in September 1944 through northern France, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg into Germany, and the second covering the Battle of the Bulge. It was from the temporary cemetery at Henri-Chapelle that the first shipments of remains of American war dead were returned to the United States for permanent burial. The repatriation program began on July 27, 1947 at a special ceremony at the cemetery when the disinterment began. The first shipment of 5,600 American war dead from Henri-Chapelle left Antwerp, Belgium the first week of October 1947. An impressive ceremony was held, with over 30,000 Belgian citizens attending, along with representatives of the Belgium government and senior Americans.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Good. That's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hking:
Russia finally sending the top tier units to the frontlines

View Quote

Before I clicked on the link, I imagined what this upstanding Orc was going to look like.  My imagination was way too close for comfort.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]

The Orc goal was to eliminate Nazis and their evidence of Nazis is Azov imagery. So they are letting the head Nazis go, or was it just a lie all along?
View Quote

I’ll answer your rhetorical question, yes it was all a lie and this just admits it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdNZksuXwAA4Ikj?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

You know Medvechuk has been singing like a bird for months to try to save his own skin. Why would Russia care to trade a bunch of "common soldiers" for him, especially considering the propaganda value of Azovstal "neo-Nazis" to fulfill the Russian narrative?

Because the Russians want to know what Medvechuk gave up, and then they want to find a nice hole in the ground to bury him.

"Traitors die a thousand times before their deaths"
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Hammer isn’t back on that 1911!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:

The Orc goal was to eliminate Nazis and their evidence of Nazis is Azov imagery. So they are letting the head Nazis go, or was it just a lie all along?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/EA82B991-13D2-4E7B-9812-9E4BADA5A112_jpe-2534447.JPG

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Europe’s gas reserves are 90% full despite the cutoff.  The question is no longer availability, but price.  Therefore Putin doesn’t have nearly the leverage over Europe that some think he has.
Also, the continued belief among some people that Europe will happily sell out Ukraine (and their own survival) to go back on the Russian gas teat is, to put it mildly, incorrect.  Listen to some German and French english-language news on Youtube, or read some European sources.  They aren’t going back.  Russia is done as an energy supplier to Europe.
Ukraine may or may not’ve had a good wheat harvest, but as a major exporter they aren’t going to starve.  They will have plenty to eat and their foreign sales will take a hit.
The most likely course is continued destruction of Ukrainian power and water infrastructure, which will in fact make it hard on Ukrainians.  It will also further convince the west (if that is possible) that Russia is a barbaric, evil empire that has to be stopped.  The idea that terror tactics are going to drive either the west or Ukraine to the table is fantasy.  If anything, the opposite is happening.  No one in Europe believes that Russia can be reasonable or trusted anymore, and Ukraine is never going to surrender territory.
View Quote

You are wrong about availability. Europe needs its storage close to full and flow from Russia to make it through winter.  Just the gas in storage is no where near enough to get them through winter.  Europe will have to replace that Russian gas that’s not flowing.  Imports from the US will help this.  But they will also have to reduce consumption because they don’t have enough and we are already seeing them planning for this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

That actually does make a great deal of sense. And that would be a very Russian way of going about it. Heck, he even threw Ukraine a bone by releasing some of their top guys. The only reasonable explanation for releasing all of these people today is that Putin is trying to build some goodwill for negotiations. This action was definitely in stark contrast to his more fiery speech early this morning. And as they say, actions speak louder than words.
View Quote

"Goodwill" isn't in Putin's or Russian's vocabulary.

Russian troops abandoning (or rumors say even shooting) their wounded tells you everything you need to know about what kind of human beings this many decades of totalitarianism has produced: people stripped of any goodwill toward their fellow man.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

That's not even an objective in this war.
View Quote

Based on what he has said, joe biden would probably disagree with you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:
The timing of the prisoner release was not coincidental.  

Putin had to mobilize to try to stop the bleeding before he loses all territory in Ukraine (including Crimea).  The mobilization speech was for Russians- he had to sell it as a threat to Russia, and used the nuclear threat as proof that the danger was real.  

At the same time, Western prisoners are released.  This is a contrary action to his speech of escalation.  I believe that this action was a deliberate message to the west.  He countered his escalation speech with a de-escalation action.
View Quote

Or maybe putin got the people he wanted in that swap.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#23]

KSA has done this before, and they have the legitimacy and allies to prevent the US from just bombing him.
View All Quotes

He's much more aligned with Iran and Syria. Not sure SA would be such a good choice.

KSA has done this before, and they have the legitimacy and allies to prevent the US from just bombing him.

UAE or even Qatar before KSA. For one thing, quality of life.

For another, Arabs LOVE being power brokers, and you do that by *always* being willing to come to the negotiating table, even when you already know it is fruitless. And by keeping a few "pocket cards" which you can always trade away on a rainy day, even if you despise them while they are in your pocket.

Reference: Ashraf Ghani.

Also, I kind of think Turkey would be an option before KSA. But honestly I think Putin is going to catch a bullet long before he voluntarily gets on any plane to anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Saudi Arabia did sign a mysterious defense agreement with Russia last year, nobody seems to know what was in it. Putin may have made some friends there.
View Quote

All the Saudis wanted were license agreements so they could have a domestic arms industry of sorts, and probably only for the higher-end stuff (whatever that means wrt Russian stuff anymore).

MBS knows that they have to at least try to develop a real domestic economy, and they have much fewer scruples about selling arms to people that we would not (and honestly, the US doesn't appear that scrupulous lately anyway), so a local arms industry capacity is one of their initiatives.

That will fail, like most of these non-oil things in rentier states do, because there is no incentive to be efficient.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Um, no.

View Quote

You raise a great point, and it's one of the realities of MCO that the American military or public are NOT prepared for.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Another great idea from Thomas C. Theiner (who had a bunch of explainer threads on M777 and SPH systems because he was former Italian Army artillery):

I would support this proposal 237%.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Putin had to mobilize to try to stop the bleeding before he loses all territory in Ukraine (including Crimea).  The mobilization speech was for Russians- he had to sell it as a threat to Russia, and used the nuclear threat as proof that the danger was real.  

At the same time, Western prisoners are released.  This is a contrary action to his speech of escalation.  I believe that this action was a deliberate message to the west.  He countered his escalation speech with a de-escalation action.

Assuming that Putin was involved in the negotiations. I could see someone else cutting a deal if they think they can save a friend or family member without consulting Putin.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Um, no.
View Quote

You asked what I thought, not what I knew.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Another great idea from Thomas C. Theiner (who had a bunch of explainer threads on M777 and SPH systems because he was former Italian Army artillery):

View Quote

I would hope he was not a FA guy because the Arty stuff he posted often contained incorrect information
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Well, he's letting women drive and own guns, and he also got rid of a WaPo "reporter", so he's not all bad.

Khashoggi was *not* a fucking US Citizen. He was a Saudi with a green card.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#31]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
[/i]
View Quote

If you stopped to think about it,  you'd realize the obvious next step in this conversation is I can post you some graves registration photos that are historical that contradict what you just posted. SO I can either drop the subject, or take to the next level.  Which I'm not going to do, just to prove a point

There is significant historical evidence, written and print, that indicates the US Army did it this way.  For a first person account of how a QM Graves Registration organization functioned, to the point where a US paratrooper threatened to open fire on them, try Kurt Gabel, p. 205-209.  For a physical description of how it was performed, look up Mark Bando 101st Airborne, pg 118.

I stand by my statement. This is what major combat operations looks like. And I will criticize the Russians for everything.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Plus their morale was it’s highest at the early stages of the war when they actually were making their advance towards Kiev. Since then it’s been going down non stop. The men at home must in some way or another know that things aren’t going well if Putya is calling in more men…
View Quote

From what I've heard russians suddenly started asking what the fuck is going on after russian military announced they were withdrawing from occupied territory as the Ukranians advanced, while claiming it was just reorganizing the troops. Russians are very tolerant of the kremlin lies and getting young russian soldiers killed, so long as they are winning for russian pride. But now that the russian soldiers are retreating the russian people are asking what the fuck is actually going on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Basically anti-regime.  A woman who was arrested for not wearing a hijab died in custody.  Women are burning their hijabs, protesting the gender and societal repression.  Will it have legs and overthrow the Ayatollahs?  Who knows.  Sometimes freedom gets contagious, maybe it will.
View Quote

In normal times, this would be a good opportunity to send covert support.

I wonder if Biden has offered to send our Feds to help investigate and round up Iranian lady extremists...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#34]
My understanding is that Aiden Aslan was part of the POW transfers and is now released from Russian/DPR captivity
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

It’s a quote from the movie “ Fight Club” but I’m not supposed to talk about it.
View Quote

And the second rule?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

And winter is approaching quickly..
View Quote

Even better reason to get more of them up to the front lines right now, (then destroy their supply lines).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Putins strongest retirement option is a retirement to Saudi Arabia.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
As a Russian POW could I decline being part of the swap?

Nothing like getting thrown back into the meat grinder
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Air- launched MK-54 torpedo. Drop from 30k ft 50nm away. Now in full rate production. HAAWC.

I’d much rather give Ukr one single P8 vs a squadron of old F-16s. Opens up dramatic new capabilities, not marginal ones.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

WTF?
View Quote

Fantastic sig line...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#41]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

Putins strongest retirement option is a retirement to Saudi Arabia.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

Putin has a lot of wealth tied up in Russia, and VP's friends practically own the country, and would be subject to falling out of windows if he were not in power.

A huge chunk of the elite need VP in power, or they die, literally.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Air- launched MK-54 torpedo. Drop from 30k ft 50nm away. Now in full rate production. HAAWC.

I’d much rather give Ukr one single P8 vs a squadron of old F-16s. Opens up dramatic new capabilities, not marginal ones.
View Quote

My dad's an old P3 driver.   That was his thought, pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Doesn't matter anyways. They're using Su-34s for low level runs with dumb bombs. Russia seems to have depleted all of their precision weapons. They seemingly can't even do basic SEAD anymore and now Ukraine is the one carrying out air attacks. Any time the Russians bring out planes, they're exposing themselves to everything including MANPADS.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Mostly they were to be made into practice rockets.
View Quote

For some reason I got a chuckle out of this, probably due to my own ignorance...But in my mind the missile guidance does all the work and it doesnt need practice. All the human operator does is plug in the numbers and push a button. This could be practiced in a classroom.

Flame suit is on...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I would not want to be one of the unwilling RU conscripts. I wonder if they understand at that moment they're likely seeing their last weeks on this earth.

Similar fates have beset others time and again throughout history. Each time people look back and think that if only a few had fought back, history would have been different.

All this needs is a little *push*. A few people that would rather leave on their own terms.
I wonder who could provide that little push to the RU people and what it would take...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#47]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

View Quote

Just one M57 ATACMS per one percent?  I say it should be 10 M57s per one percent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Before I clicked on the link, I imagined what this upstanding Orc was going to look like.  My imagination was way too close for comfort.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hking:
Russia finally sending the top tier units to the frontlines

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Excellent analysis.

It's also possible that in typical Russian fasion the Commissariat in charge of POW/EPW made a deal and did not communicate with Putin's Chief of Staff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top