Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:55:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#1]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dracster:

That was the number a couple months ago.

I saw some pics from after the push. UA forces were/are finding skeletal remains of Russian troops in the former Russian positions. Their buddies literally left them to rot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Holy shit, they're piled in the bed like so many dead animals
Doesn't Ukraine have 10,000+ Russian KIA on ice in refrigerator rail cars and trucks that Russia has refused to accept back?

I saw some pics from after the push. UA forces were/are finding skeletal remains of Russian troops in the former Russian positions. Their buddies literally left them to rot.
I wouldnt doubt if the real number of Russian KIA is 60k+
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Russia agrees, 1 Ukrainian soldier is worth 11 Russian soldiers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdNFBe8aAAA7RH9?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdNFBVBakAEayCE?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote
Not even the decency to give them clean clothes. You can tell his arm is badly atrophied, I hope they can regain him some normal function.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The timing of the prisoner release was not coincidental.  

Putin had to mobilize to try to stop the bleeding before he loses all territory in Ukraine (including Crimea).  The mobilization speech was for Russians- he had to sell it as a threat to Russia, and used the nuclear threat as proof that the danger was real.  

At the same time, Western prisoners are released.  This is a contrary action to his speech of escalation.  I believe that this action was a deliberate message to the west.  He countered his escalation speech with a de-escalation action.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdM754BaEAEOMsw?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

F-16s aren’t going to establish the kind of air superiority needed to precision bombing by F-16s. Low level strike missions are more like it.

Missiles are also airpower.

Only nuclear weapons are strategic weapons.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anono:

Wut?

Air superiority is the primary tenant of strategic warfare since maybe the end of WWI. Sure, guided missiles have changed the game a little, but you need a poop-ton of intel for those strikes, whereas a plane can simply just blow shit up on the spot.

A primary reason for the RU attack not being effective is that they haven't been able to gain the air. If this were the US, we'd be taking out 10k UA ground troops a day by this point. (Ok, maybe hyperbole, but close). The Russian's AF just sucks apparently.

F-16s aren’t going to establish the kind of air superiority needed to precision bombing by F-16s. Low level strike missions are more like it.

Missiles are also airpower.

Only nuclear weapons are strategic weapons.

In US early Cold War doctrine, you'd be absolutely correct.  Nukes are the only weapons that are exclusively Strategic Weapons.  However, realistically, a LOT of weapons, to include a small element of Infantry-equipped soldiers in the right set of circumstances (such as a ground interdiction of an enemy's strategic capabilities or a leadership decapitation strike), not to mention purely conventional Air and Naval forces, can be utilized to accomplish Strategic/National goals and missions.  It all comes down to Strategic mission, opportunity, and employment.  Strategic  does not always equal nuclear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Did someone say MBS helped set up the deal?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Good news about Denis Propokenko being freed!!!!! ( and all the other leaders & prisoners)  I thought for sure he would have been murdered after all the trouble he gave the Orcs at Azovstal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Good news about Denis Propokenko being freed!!!!! ( and all the other leaders & prisoners)  I thought for sure he would have been murdered after all the trouble he gave the Orcs at Azovstal.
View Quote

The Orc goal was to eliminate Nazis and their evidence of Nazis is Azov imagery. So they are letting the head Nazis go, or was it just a lie all along?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Not even the decency to give them clean clothes. You can tell his arm is badly atrophied, I hope they can regain him some normal function.
View Quote

That was from inside Azovstal, though I bet it was a tossup.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DonS:
Did someone say MBS helped set up the deal?
View Quote

Yep, some prisoners are being swapped via SA. Apparently MBS found a way to try to profit from this. Or maybe Rus tossed him the job to make him look good, in exchange for some back-channel torture-technology transfer?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#16]
Prokopenko looks rough.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]

They're not exactly treating the 200s with reverence and care.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-09-19_14-59-06_jpg-2534372.JPG
View Quote

Hypothetically, let’s say I had a detail recover the remains of a hundred KIA GIs in Normandy or the Bulge.

What do you think that looks like?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]

The Orc goal was to eliminate Nazis and their evidence of Nazis is Azov imagery. So they are letting the head Nazis go, or was it just a lie all along?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I just can't see where throwing an additional 300,000 unmotivated mobilization reservists at this problem is going to help Russia. Ukraine already has the manpower to equal this. And by the time the Russian reservists are trained up, equipped and make it to the front, Ukraine will likely exceed those numbers by a significant margin. Keeping in mind the 3-1 ratio needed by the attacking force to achieve superiority over the defender, Russia is going to come up short again, just as they did in Feb/Mar.

Meanwhile, Russia is low on ammo. They are having to beg North Korea for 50 year old artillery and mortar rounds. The bulk of their useful tanks have already been damaged, destroyed or captured in Ukraine. Their logistics are a mess. And they still have no answer for HIMARS which can sit back and devastate their rear areas.

IMHO, all Putin is going to gain by doing this is weakening Russia and destroying its military capabilities even more, possibly achieving total destruction that would take decades to recover from. What a blunder this whole shit show was. And they just keep doubling down on it.
View Quote

It isn’t logical based on what we know but what does Putin know? He is getting increasingly desperate and he likely isn’t getting good info. He has spent years building up an inner circle totally dépendant on him and they are likely telling him the things they think he wants to hear. Who is going to give him the bad news with so many of his inner circle achieving terminal velocity by falling from great heights?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Doesn't Ukraine have 10,000+ Russian KIA on ice in refrigerator rail cars and trucks that Russia has refused to accept back?

Probably a good guess.  I doubt the Ukrainians, as good as their casualty info for KIA seems to be, has any way to accurately track Orc non-combatant casualties.  When Ivan Conscriptovich inadvertently shoots his squad leader while setting up a machine gun position, or 55-year-old Dmitry Volunteersky has a heart attack, those tend to get lost in the noise.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]

I think you are confusing having planes in the air to "air superiority." F16s with some intel from wherever and support would be a game changer in this conflict. And F16s can definitely do precision low level strikes, even if brrrt is cooler on video.

Saying "only nuclear weapons are strategic..." is umm, well, CoC.
View Quote

No, I’m familiar what the term means. It’s not Air Supremacy. Achieving the ability to operate over Russian lines is useful but for instance the US spends more by half again on that ability than we spend on all ground forces together, and that’s not a wise choice for ukraine as is doesn’t make their war effort 2.5x as effective. They will not be able to fly F-16s at 10k feet and drop JDAMS on tanks anyway.

I said only nuclear weapons are strategic weapons because only nuclear bombing is strategic bombing or can achieve strategic results unto itself. Every other system is a tactical or operational level effect that as the whole combining other parts produces victory.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

He was making a joke about in the 80s and 90s, the sex life of zoo pandas was a media frenzy of a nauseating level.  Lots wouldn’t reproduce.  I did get the joke but it wouldn’t make sense if you didn’t recall that.

ETA: oh yeah, and also riffed on in FC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
I felt like putting a bullet in the head of every panda that wouldn’t fuck to save its species.

WTF?

He was making a joke about in the 80s and 90s, the sex life of zoo pandas was a media frenzy of a nauseating level.  Lots wouldn’t reproduce.  I did get the joke but it wouldn’t make sense if you didn’t recall that.

ETA: oh yeah, and also riffed on in FC.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:
The timing of the prisoner release was not coincidental.  

Putin had to mobilize to try to stop the bleeding before he loses all territory in Ukraine (including Crimea).  The mobilization speech was for Russians- he had to sell it as a threat to Russia, and used the nuclear threat as proof that the danger was real.  

At the same time, Western prisoners are released.  This is a contrary action to his speech of escalation.  I believe that this action was a deliberate message to the west.  He countered his escalation speech with a de-escalation action.
View Quote

That actually does make a great deal of sense. And that would be a very Russian way of going about it. Heck, he even threw Ukraine a bone by releasing some of their top guys. The only reasonable explanation for releasing all of these people today is that Putin is trying to build some goodwill for negotiations. This action was definitely in stark contrast to his more fiery speech early this morning. And as they say, actions speak louder than words.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Yep, some prisoners are being swapped via SA. Apparently MBS found a way to try to profit from this. Or maybe Rus tossed him the job to make him look good, in exchange for some back-channel torture-technology transfer?
View Quote

Well, he's letting women drive and own guns, and he also got rid of a WaPo "reporter", so he's not all bad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Don't tell the US airforce that!
View Quote

I would happily disband the Air Force and split it between the Navy and Army, but a modest reform in the meantime would be to put the services back under the same Secretary of War.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

In US early Cold War doctrine, you'd be absolutely correct.  Nukes are the only weapons that are exclusively Strategic Weapons.  However, realistically, a LOT of weapons, to include a small element of Infantry-equipped soldiers in the right set of circumstances (such as a ground interdiction of an enemy's strategic capabilities or a leadership decapitation strike), not to mention purely conventional Air and Naval forces, can be utilized to accomplish Strategic/National goals and missions.  It all comes down to Strategic mission, opportunity, and employment.  Strategic  does not always equal nuclear.
View Quote

Strategic airpower is airpower that can collapse national infrastructure or will. That’s not to say that other operations and weapons won’t have an effect, but airpower needs to deliver what’s promised or make new promises. The only weapon that can produce victory on its own is a nuclear weapon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]

That actually does make a great deal of sense. And that would be a very Russian way of going about it. Heck, he even threw Ukraine a bone by releasing some of their top guys. The only reasonable explanation for releasing all of these people today is that Putin is trying to build some goodwill for negotiations. This action was definitely in stark contrast to his more fiery speech early this morning. And as they say, actions speak louder than words.
View Quote

Putins strongest retirement option is a retirement to Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#29]

Strategic airpower is airpower that can collapse national infrastructure or will. That’s not to say that other operations and weapons won’t have an effect, but airpower needs to deliver what’s promised or make new promises. The only weapon that can produce victory on its own is a nuclear weapon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

OMG, we're having a "Doctrine NAZI" discussion!  Does this mean we're going to be targeted by the Russians?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Air sup would have changed this war for either side. What on Earth are you both talking about? If the UA had a 4gen fighter, they'd be into Moscow by now. Offense is still a good defense. We in the West just are being cautious to not escalate things. If we wanted to, most of Russia would be burning now without a single nuke.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

I think this take is good in the context of this war.

As long as Ukraine has ISR sufficient to target their missile strikes, and as long as they have the ability to defend the airspace above them, they're in a good position.

The value of getting the Ukrainians set up with F-16s or whatever is strategically questionable.

Air sup would have changed this war for either side. What on Earth are you both talking about? If the UA had a 4gen fighter, they'd be into Moscow by now. Offense is still a good defense. We in the West just are being cautious to not escalate things. If we wanted to, most of Russia would be burning now without a single nuke.

That's not even an objective in this war.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

Uhh no?

38 launchers could fit 39 times a year not day...or for 39 days straight which they probably have
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Originally Posted By Capta:

We can make 1500 pods per year.  Ukraine has 38 effective pod equivalents.  Each and every pod could fire 39 times per day and not draw down existing US inventory.
Given operational needs, I doubt Ukraine can fire even a quarter of that, and look at the effects.

Uhh no?

38 launchers could fit 39 times a year not day...or for 39 days straight which they probably have

I was in a hurry and math isnt my strong suit!😳
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#32]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdNZksuXwAA4Ikj?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Happy to be proven wrong!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

He's much more aligned with Iran and Syria. Not sure SA would be such a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

They didn't leave them to die. They went to get help!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]

He's much more aligned with Iran and Syria. Not sure SA would be such a good choice.
View Quote

KSA has done this before, and they have the legitimacy and allies to prevent the US from just bombing him.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]

He’s Finnish, they have every reason to take the Russians more seriously than we do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
Looking at how its worded, and the info he presented, its likely a compromised AR15.com account thats being used by the Ruskies.

He’s Finnish, they have every reason to take the Russians more seriously than we do.

Who says he’s Finnish?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
Hypothetically, let’s say I had a detail recover the remains of a hundred KIA GIs in Normandy or the Bulge.

What do you think that looks like?
View Quote
Flag-draped zinc coffins coming off a cargo bird at Dover, with an honor guard?

If out in the actual field where they died, they'd go in body bags or expedient disposable coffins.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Likely packed by the recently formed penal brigades
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

Is it wrong I want to see those trucks enter a minefield?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

They're not exactly treating the 200s with reverence and care.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-09-19_14-59-06_jpg-2534372.JPG

Is it wrong I want to see those trucks enter a minefield?

PPV it, and I'd watch it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Who says he’s Finnish?
View Quote

His profile.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#42]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
I think the Russians are holding out for this winter to sue for peace.

Putin, if he's smart, will realize that going into this winter the territory that Russia holds is about as much as it's going to hold, ever inside Ukraine.  The winter and absence of Russian natural gas in Central Europe will put pressure on NATO.  The poor harvest in Ukraine and of course the destruction of buildings within it will make this winter very hard for the people of Ukraine.   Putin will probably see this winter, January or February time frame as the most opportune time to approach Ukraine/NATO with a peace deal that allows him to get recognition of the sovereignty of the Donetsk People's Republic and Crimea.  If Putin can "win" the freedom of the DPR he can take that to his people and say "I protected ethnic Russians, destroyed the NAZI Azov Battalion, and weakened Ukraine so that it will not present a threat to Russia (arguable, but he could sell that domestically). " Putin could admit that issues of corruption that he was not aware of had come to light during the conflict and did hamper some of Russia's goals, but argue that the overall campaign was still a success and discovery of those issues as it so happens were necessary to the future strength of Russia.  

View Quote

Europe’s gas reserves are 90% full despite the cutoff.  The question is no longer availability, but price.  Therefore Putin doesn’t have nearly the leverage over Europe that some think he has.
Also, the continued belief among some people that Europe will happily sell out Ukraine (and their own survival) to go back on the Russian gas teat is, to put it mildly, incorrect.  Listen to some German and French english-language news on Youtube, or read some European sources.  They aren’t going back.  Russia is done as an energy supplier to Europe.
Ukraine may or may not’ve had a good wheat harvest, but as a major exporter they aren’t going to starve.  They will have plenty to eat and their foreign sales will take a hit.
The most likely course is continued destruction of Ukrainian power and water infrastructure, which will in fact make it hard on Ukrainians.  It will also further convince the west (if that is possible) that Russia is a barbaric, evil empire that has to be stopped.  The idea that terror tactics are going to drive either the west or Ukraine to the table is fantasy.  If anything, the opposite is happening.  No one in Europe believes that Russia can be reasonable or trusted anymore, and Ukraine is never going to surrender territory.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Zelenskyy addresses the UN,

Ukraine War: 'We didn't provoke this war' - President Zelenskyy
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Will the Azov commanders return to the field?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

We set the example that we pursue dictators if they loss power. We chose poorly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#47]
American and British POWs also released.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#48]

KSA has done this before, and they have the legitimacy and allies to prevent the US from just bombing him.
View Quote

I can't see us just bombing Putin. We would want to extradite for war crimes, perhaps.

I just don't see why Putin would feel secure there, due to his close alignment with Syria and Iran, along with the fact that MBS is attempting secular reforms and might throw Putin under the bus. I don't see any great place for Putin to run, TBH.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#49]

I can't see us just bombing Putin. We would want to extradite for war crimes, perhaps.

I just don't see why Putin would feel secure there, due to his close alignment with Syria and Iran, along with the fact that MBS is attempting secular reforms and might throw Putin under the bus. I don't see any great place for Putin to run, TBH.
View Quote

I would offer him an estate in the United States, which he could never leave.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

You mat be correct, but do you think any of the 10s of thousands of equipment in storage is worth a shit?  The stuff they sent to the front lines on the race to Kyiv didn't even work, and that should have been some of their best shit on their main objective.  Now we expect tanks and gear sitting for 30 years to be maintained and actually work?  We have learned stuff in storage does NOT equal usable equipment.  

I do not believe Russia "saved" any of their best gear except maybe a few of their actually gen 5 fighters.
View Quote

I think Russia hasn't used their 5th Gen fighters in Ukraine because they know they will be shot down... because they know they aren't the least bit stealthy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top