Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Galloping Ghost page.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Circuits:

No, comrade, they have destroyed 44 HIMARS so far. Russian State Media says so.

Russia Stronk!
View Quote
Including one cleverly disguised as a two story building.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By general_cluster:

that thing has a weird dip in it for young people.  wonder if that data is accurate or if the russians had a decade or two where they were too drunk and beaten down to make babies
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Russia is in some serious shit.  Look at their population of 18-30yo men.  They have far more women than men too, which is very interesting.

Taking another 300,000 out of that group is going to sting.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/2D0C8C52-2218-4F5A-9C39-BD9FC1C24585_jpe-2534312.JPG

that thing has a weird dip in it for young people.  wonder if that data is accurate or if the russians had a decade or two where they were too drunk and beaten down to make babies

Uncertainty and turmoil after the fall of the Soviet Union corresponding to a decline in births afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Reports that in Moscow officials are serving mobilization papers to people at home and at work. Practically as soon as the announcement they starting serving papers for people to go report.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Basically anti-regime.  A woman who was arrested for not wearing a hijab died in custody.  Women are burning their hijabs, protesting the gender and societal repression.  Will it have legs and overthrow the Ayatollahs?  Who knows.  Sometimes freedom gets contagious, maybe it will.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Why are they protesting?

Basically anti-regime.  A woman who was arrested for not wearing a hijab died in custody.  Women are burning their hijabs, protesting the gender and societal repression.  Will it have legs and overthrow the Ayatollahs?  Who knows.  Sometimes freedom gets contagious, maybe it will.

Will Biden save the Ayatollahs like Obama did the last time the Iranian street got agitated?  Probably.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Things are getting nutty in Iran
View Quote

What are they protesting for or against?  Strong desire to join their fellow assholes in Russia in fighting "the west"?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
'I'm not going to die for Putin!' Terrified Russians begin anti-mobilization protests after one-way tickets fleeing the country sold out following Vladimir's announcement that 300,000 reservists will be sent to Ukraine

More PICS
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe what downed the Moscova

Explosive boats are not new, and they have occasionally had great successes. This design, if that’s what this is, seems inherently sensible. They were pioneered by the Italians in World War Two and are still used today. Most recently, in the Red Sea, the Iranian backed Houthi Movement has used remote controlled ones with some effect.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

At what point do they run out of missiles we can supply though?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

At what point do they run out of missiles we can supply though?

If they run out of the short to medium range stuff, we should give them long range rockets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#11]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

"that's real retarded, sir"

In the "opening stages", they assumed it would be a 3 day cake walk. At least those few who knew they were going to Ukraine. Yet now, after 100-150K casualties, counter offensives, HIMARS, and losing air superiority to the UA, now (NOW) they will have better morale?
View Quote

Plus their morale was it’s highest at the early stages of the war when they actually were making their advance towards Kiev. Since then it’s been going down non stop. The men at home must in some way or another know that things aren’t going well if Putya is calling in more men…
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:

The only reason this entire scenario hasn’t turned into desert storm 2: Eastern European Boogaloo is because of nukes. So Russia has that one area locked down over Ukraine. Without nukes we’d be operating no fly zones over Russia by now, after nearly taking Moscow.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
Ermahgerd mobilization!

Some of you guys crack me up.

The disparity between the Russian situation and the Ukrainian situation couldn't be much more stark. Morale, intelligence, logistics, command, communications, technology, training... everything.

I don't think there is one thing of military significance Russia is doing better than Ukraine, and the deeper this war goes, the more one-sided this dynamic is getting.

The only reason this entire scenario hasn’t turned into desert storm 2: Eastern European Boogaloo is because of nukes. So Russia has that one area locked down over Ukraine. Without nukes we’d be operating no fly zones over Russia by now, after nearly taking Moscow.

Meh.

Since the end of WWII, nuclear armed powers haven't really gone to direct war against each other, but proxy wars like this one have happened regularly. As a general rule, these wars have favored the powers allied with the nation being invaded, and there haven't been major consequences for the nation(s) providing lethal aid to the defending nation. In this case, the relationship between the Ukrainians and the US/NATO nations has been invaluable. The Ukrainians have the resources to defend their homeland, the US/NATO are keeping their noses clean and aren't taking casualties, and the biggest threat in the region is getting wrecked.

The threat of nuclear escalation is only a viable threat as long as it is only a threat. If the Russians actually open that can, it's a whole different ballgame. They know that as well as we do.

Back to my original statement: "I don't think there is one thing of military significance Russia is doing better than Ukraine, and the deeper this war goes, the more one-sided this dynamic is getting."

Nukes don't really apply because this is a conventional war (and the Ukrainians are whipping Russia's ass in this conventional war). But even if nukes did apply, given how badly the Russians are performing at everything, it's a fairly safe bet they'd screw that up, too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Not quite right.

A woman was arrested by the morality police for not having her head completely covered.

She was 23 years old and died while in police custody.

Women are taking to the streets in protest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Things are getting nutty in Iran

Why are they protesting?

A well known Journalist was murdered

Not quite right.

A woman was arrested by the morality police for not having her head completely covered.

She was 23 years old and died while in police custody.

Women are taking to the streets in protest.

The first time I saw a tweet is said Journalist. You are correct though.

I just checked and the girls name is Mahsa Amini, and she was 22.
Murdered for not wearing a hajib
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
1 min ago.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see Prokopenko alive again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#16]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
The utility of air superiority is generally overstated. And will continue to be if the US restricts them from flying strike missions into Russia. Most of what you can strike with aircraft, you can strike with missiles. Obviously some targets need more HE than missiles available to Ukraine can provide. That said a larger air presence is kind of like opening a second front and shooting down a lot of Russian aircraft would put immense pressure on them.
View Quote

Wut?

Air superiority is the primary tenant of strategic warfare since maybe the end of WWI. Sure, guided missiles have changed the game a little, but you need a poop-ton of intel for those strikes, whereas a plane can simply just blow shit up on the spot.

A primary reason for the RU attack not being effective is that they haven't been able to gain the air. If this were the US, we'd be taking out 10k UA ground troops a day by this point. (Ok, maybe hyperbole, but close). The Russian's AF just sucks apparently.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
"‘I Don’t Want to Be Cannon Fodder’: Panic and Fear as Russia Begins Mobilization"
"Prices for one-way flights to popular destinations later rose at least eightfold, with tickets from the Russian capital to Yerevan on Thursday being sold for about 160,000 rubles ($2,621) and from Moscow to Dubai priced at 170,000 rubles ($2,784)."

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/09/21/i-dont-want-to-be-cannon-fodder-panic-and-fear-as-russia-begins-mobilization-a78853
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I felt like putting a bullet in the head of every panda that wouldn’t fuck to save its species.
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The utility of air superiority is generally overstated. And will continue to be if the US restricts them from flying strike missions into Russia. Most of what you can strike with aircraft, you can strike with missiles. Obviously some targets need more HE than missiles available to Ukraine can provide. That said a larger air presence is kind of like opening a second front and shooting down a lot of Russian aircraft would put immense pressure on them.
View Quote

I think this take is good in the context of this war.

As long as Ukraine has ISR sufficient to target their missile strikes, and as long as they have the ability to defend the airspace above them, they're in a good position.

The value of getting the Ukrainians set up with F-16s or whatever is strategically questionable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Uncertainty and turmoil after the fall of the Soviet Union corresponding to a decline in births afterwards.
View All Quotes
Russia is in some serious shit.  Look at their population of 18-30yo men.  They have far more women than men too, which is very interesting.

Taking another 300,000 out of that group is going to sting.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/2D0C8C52-2218-4F5A-9C39-BD9FC1C24585_jpe-2534312.JPG

Also the healthcare system collapsed causing greatly increased infant mortality, and the people most capable of raising families were also likely to leave the country for greener pastures.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

It's not over yet. Chances are not great for Russia but tides can change in war. I won't stop worrying until it's over with.

Note something else that Zeihan says: Russia, as a country, has committed suicide. They are DONE as a country. Not only have they destroyed their economy, but they are now also sending their young people into war, the same people that they are critically short of and need to rely on to provide the next generation of Russians by having babies. The long term effect of all this is catastrophic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

It's not over yet. Chances are not great for Russia but tides can change in war. I won't stop worrying until it's over with.

Note something else that Zeihan says: Russia, as a country, has committed suicide. They are DONE as a country. Not only have they destroyed their economy, but they are now also sending their young people into war, the same people that they are critically short of and need to rely on to provide the next generation of Russians by having babies. The long term effect of all this is catastrophic.

It is a bit more dire than that. If you were to glance over Russian dominated forums, you'd find them mainly plotting their exit from the country. By means legal or illegal. Precious few "patriots" staying the course.
An earlier post in thread mentioned the sudden increase in demand, and concurring cost, for flights out of Russia. That is merely the most obvious avenue of leaving, and just the start of it.

The youth of Russia are to flee in droves, and they have zero interest in ever returning. The only real question now is if the countries of their select destination will decide to permit them, or toss them back.

HELSINKI - Finland said on Wednesday it is is preparing a national solution to "limit or completely prevent" tourism from Russia following the invasion of Ukraine.

"This national solution may include new legislation, which would be adopted very quickly," Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto told a press conference.
Finland drastically limited tourist visas for Russians in September.

But they continue to enter Finland with visas issued by other EU countries in the Schengen borderless travel area.

"Finland does not want to be a country that is a transit country for Schengen visas issued by other countries either," Haavisto said.
Link
Archive

Perhaps some EU members will show pity, but otherwise I have my doubts the people of Russia will be able to escape the culmination of their politics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#23]

As long as Ukraine has ISR sufficient to target their missile strikes, and as long as they have the ability to defend the airspace above them, they're in a good position.

The value of getting the Ukrainians set up with F-16s or whatever is strategically questionable.
View Quote

Air sup would have changed this war for either side. What on Earth are you both talking about? If the UA had a 4gen fighter, they'd be into Moscow by now. Offense is still a good defense. We in the West just are being cautious to not escalate things. If we wanted to, most of Russia would be burning now without a single nuke.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Also the healthcare system collapsed causing greatly increased infant mortality, and the people most capable of raising families were also likely to leave the country for greener pastures.
View Quote

Brain drain is a real problem for Russia and has been for about a generation and a half.   And this war is only making it worse.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Russia: Hundreds of protestors arrested following Putin''s mobilisation address
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

They're not exactly treating the 200s with reverence and care.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#27]

They need to learn how to make IEDs and cut tendons and femoral arteries.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-09-19_14-59-06_jpg-2534372.JPG
View Quote

Holy shit, they're piled in the bed like so many dead animals
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Considering we started building them forty years ago, probably a lot, but not infinite. They are still in production, and contrary to some opinions, production can always be expanded.
View Quote

M26s are out of production. Now we only make M30/M31 and bigger.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Wow, that is a big surprise.  Is this part of the Saudi request and was was exchanged?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I think F-16s bring value, mostly because they are free. With Ukraines limited pre-war budget I would not have recommended Air Force spending, and wisely, that’s not where Ukraine spent their money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

WTF?
View All Quotes
I felt like putting a bullet in the head of every panda that wouldn’t fuck to save its species.

WTF?

Fight Club reference.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Why are they protesting?

The 2009 Green Movement also looked like this until the gov started shooting everyone.

Another reason everyone should own guns
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#34]

WTF?
View All Quotes

WTF?

He was making a joke about in the 80s and 90s, the sex life of zoo pandas was a media frenzy of a nauseating level.  Lots wouldn’t reproduce.  I did get the joke but it wouldn’t make sense if you didn’t recall that.

ETA: oh yeah, and also riffed on in FC.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By anono:

Wut?

Air superiority is the primary tenant of strategic warfare since maybe the end of WWI. Sure, guided missiles have changed the game a little, but you need a poop-ton of intel for those strikes, whereas a plane can simply just blow shit up on the spot.

A primary reason for the RU attack not being effective is that they haven't been able to gain the air. If this were the US, we'd be taking out 10k UA ground troops a day by this point. (Ok, maybe hyperbole, but close). The Russian's AF just sucks apparently.
View Quote

F-16s aren’t going to establish the kind of air superiority needed to precision bombing by F-16s. Low level strike missions are more like it.

Missiles are also airpower.

Only nuclear weapons are strategic weapons.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#36]
M26s are out of production. Now we only make M30/M31 and bigger.
View Quote

About 1500 pages back, one of the SMEs mentioned that the M26/M26A1 warheads had been decommissioned, but not their rocket/booster sections, which have been repurposed for some interesting other PGM uses - but nothing ever put into production. So there are thousands if not tens of thousands of 30-40 year old rocket boosters still in arsenals somewhere.

Basically a winged SDB capsuled onto an M26 booster, with a 150-200km range, and maybe something done with an Excalibur projectile on the rocket booster, as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Explosive boats are not new, and they have occasionally had great successes. This design, if that's what this is, seems inherently sensible. They were pioneered by the Italians in World War Two and are still used today. Most recently, in the Red Sea, the Iranian backed Houthi Movement has used remote controlled ones with some effect.
There are also UUVs
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#38]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-09-19_14-59-06_jpg-2534372.JPG
View All Quotes

Is it wrong I want to see those trucks enter a minefield?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Meh.

Since the end of WWII, nuclear armed powers haven't really gone to direct war against each other, but proxy wars like this one have happened regularly. As a general rule, these wars have favored the powers allied with the nation being invaded, and there haven't been major consequences for the nation(s) providing lethal aid to the defending nation. In this case, the relationship between the Ukrainians and the US/NATO nations has been invaluable. The Ukrainians have the resources to defend their homeland, the US/NATO are keeping their noses clean and aren't taking casualties, and the biggest threat in the region is getting wrecked.

The threat of nuclear escalation is only a viable threat as long as it is only a threat. If the Russians actually open that can, it's a whole different ballgame. They know that as well as we do.

Back to my original statement: "I don't think there is one thing of military significance Russia is doing better than Ukraine, and the deeper this war goes, the more one-sided this dynamic is getting."

Nukes don't really apply because this is a conventional war (and the Ukrainians are whipping Russia's ass in this conventional war). But even if nukes did apply, given how badly the Russians are performing at everything, it's a fairly safe bet they'd screw that up, too.
View All Quotes
Ermahgerd mobilization!

Some of you guys crack me up.

The disparity between the Russian situation and the Ukrainian situation couldn't be much more stark. Morale, intelligence, logistics, command, communications, technology, training... everything.

I don't think there is one thing of military significance Russia is doing better than Ukraine, and the deeper this war goes, the more one-sided this dynamic is getting.

Meh.

Nukes are the only reason an “Operation Ukraine Shield/Storm” didn’t occur. It’s keeping it a proxy war. That’s my point. If Russia had no nukes and did this they’d have been steamrolled by NATO.

Ukraine doesn’t have that card. As of now, they win at the pleasure of NATO. It’s better than losing, but if they had nukes life would be much better for them.

It’s not the use of nukes, but their mere existence that changes the conventional game significantly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

It’s more care than they give to things like living troops or ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#41]

About 1500 pages back, one of the SMEs mentioned that the M26/M26A1 warheads had been decommissioned, but not their rocket/booster sections, which have been repurposed for some interesting other PGM uses - but nothing ever put into production. So there are thousands if not tens of thousands of 30-40 year old rocket boosters still in arsenals somewhere.

Basically a winged SDB capsuled onto an M26 booster, with a 150-200km range, and maybe something done with an Excalibur projectile on the rocket booster, as well.
View Quote

Mostly they were to be made into practice rockets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
View Quote
Doesn't Ukraine have 10,000+ Russian KIA on ice in refrigerator rail cars and trucks that Russia has refused to accept back?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#43]

F-16s aren’t going to establish the kind of air superiority needed to precision bombing by F-16s. Low level strike missions are more like it.

Missiles are also airpower.

Only nuclear weapons are strategic weapons.
View Quote

I think you are confusing having planes in the air to "air superiority." F16s with some intel from wherever and support would be a game changer in this conflict. And F16s can definitely do precision low level strikes, even if brrrt is cooler on video.

Saying "only nuclear weapons are strategic..." is umm, well, CoC.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Doesn't Ukraine have 10,000+ Russian KIA on ice in refrigerator rail cars and trucks that Russia has refused to accept back?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

That was the number a couple months ago.

I saw some pics from after the push. UA forces were/are finding skeletal remains of Russian troops in the former Russian positions. Their buddies literally left them to rot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Don't tell the US airforce that!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

No, the Moskva was hit by a pair of AS missiles; no confusion there.

In several tranches of US weapons deliveries, mention has been made of USVs as well as UUVs.  The details of what those were never came up.  This may be something we transferred months ago, it might be something they built domestically.  Unclear if it’s a weapon or ISR platform.  Hull shape and a few details suggest ISR to me, but I’m not sure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

How can they when they don't even know the meaning of those words?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#49]

WTF?
View All Quotes

WTF?

It’s a quote from the movie “ Fight Club” but I’m not supposed to talk about it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#50]
Azov Battalion Commanders

The initial exchange.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top