Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Tour of a small munitions warehouse captured during the offensive. Note the pallets all stacked up in the corner not being used...as usual.

????????? ????? ?????????? ?????????. ??????????.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Russia starting to move their NBC will be near the final stage of this fiasco. They will likely move their stuff around just as a provocation "see we are serious, you better back down". So I would not be surprised when we hear about RU nukes leaving the storage bunker. Will they use it? I give it 50:50.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

This, chemical and nuclear weapons have to come from special stockpiles and moved to the location where they are to be fired from.  Those areas are watched very well by NATO and US intelligence.  I can't imagine a scenario where if the Russian forces were to use a WMD, that they wouldn't have an "accident" before it was fired, or attempts were made to intercept before hitting it's target.

Russia starting to move their NBC will be near the final stage of this fiasco. They will likely move their stuff around just as a provocation "see we are serious, you better back down". So I would not be surprised when we hear about RU nukes leaving the storage bunker. Will they use it? I give it 50:50.

I'm with you on this assessment, that is exactly what they have done in the past.  We had 7 months to move assets in place after the war started and the threats of nukes, so for me confidence is high.  We increase our ability by the day and are in a position where we could hit them without them knowing we are striking.

Lets just say that I do not lose sleep over it knowing what we are capable of.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
40 minutes ago.

View Quote

Is it HIMARS o'clock already?
(Looks at watch)
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Dead men walking.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Dead men walking.

View Quote

Enjoy your one way tickets west!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

(Looks at watch)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
40 minutes ago.

(Looks at watch)

Yep

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MNGearhead:

Maybe we are wrong, maybe they are Nazi's....    

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/299228/Naziiiis_jpg-2531984.JPG

LOL
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MNGearhead:
Originally Posted By Dracster:
The Russians finally posted their captured Caesar SPG.

Click To View Spoiler

Maybe we are wrong, maybe they are Nazi's....    

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/299228/Naziiiis_jpg-2531984.JPG

LOL

Really odd.

That's "no smoking" in French, right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Paraflare:
So am I off base here...

RUS uses the "referendum" to absorb annexed regions into Russia proper saying the "people voted for it" line.

RUS then can accuse UKR/NATO/NAFO of direct attacks on RUS sovereign territory.

RUS then uses that excuse as an excuse to begin a pathway to full mobilization, further rhetoric about use of nuclear options.

All of this happening now due to desperate situation in UKR.

Is RUS about to go full retard?
View Quote

It would appear so.

And that's exactly why I've been so concerned and not in a big hurry to escalate the tensions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
15min ago.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

You think they no longer have the ability to escalate?  dont kid yourself.  They very much do and they will.  You think everyday russians are not on board with putin??  if that was the case then this mobilization wont work.  But it will because they believe Putin and will die in Ukraine for him. You are terribly wrong about everyday russians and what they think.

Time article from Aug 24th about Russians support for the war and for Putin.

"But one thing that hasn’t seemed to change is Russian public opinion. According to the Levada Center, an independent polling agency in Moscow, more than three-quarters of Russians continue to support what the Kremlin calls its “special military operation” in Ukraine, with just 18% opposed. Putin’s approval rating is similarly high at 83%, a figure that has only risen since the war began. A slightly smaller, but nonetheless consistent, majority of the public believe that the country is headed in the right direction."

https://time.com/6208238/why-russian-support-for-the-war-in-ukraine-hasnt-wavered/
View Quote

I agree that the Russian people have the capacity to ramp things up but not the motivation or the capability to be effective. They support Putin and his BS war because all they know about it is from propaganda. Once they see the front, feel the first arty impact, and see the equipment and condition of their fellow comrades, they will lose that patriotism.

This mobilization could have worked in Sept. 2021. Now....just a waste.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
18 minutes ago.
When they say bases, it's either HQ units or barracks.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:35:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#16]
This might have been answered, but can HIMARS hit a moving target?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I just can't see where throwing an additional 300,000 unmotivated mobilization reservists at this problem is going to help Russia. Ukraine already has the manpower to equal this. And by the time the Russian reservists are trained up, equipped and make it to the front, Ukraine will likely exceed those numbers by a significant margin. Keeping in mind the 3-1 ratio needed by the attacking force to achieve superiority over the defender, Russia is going to come up short again, just as they did in Feb/Mar.

Meanwhile, Russia is low on ammo. They are having to beg North Korea for 50 year old artillery and mortar rounds. The bulk of their useful tanks have already been damaged, destroyed or captured in Ukraine. Their logistics are a mess. And they still have no answer for HIMARS which can sit back and devastate their rear areas.

IMHO, all Putin is going to gain by doing this is weakening Russia and destroying its military capabilities even more, possibly achieving total destruction that would take decades to recover from. What a blunder this whole shit show was. And they just keep doubling down on it.
View Quote

There is already evidence that they are breaking out stored first-line gear (early model T90s) which I believe represents their WW3 reserve.  This, plus whatever they can make at a slow rate is everything they have left.  Even so, they can’t equip 300K men as anything but leg infantry with AKs.  Worse, there has been evidence throughout the war that they have stripped their training schools and sent those cadres to Ukraine where they were ground up.  Putin is effectively murdering those 300,000 call-ups and he will do it without batting an eye.
Perhaps their secondary (unstated) rationale is to rebuild a reserve to be able to suppress/intimidate their peripheral states which are already getting frisky.  Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, and Chechnya all have volunteers fighting in Ukraine, who will go home to their countries to expel Russian occupiers.  The Russian southern flank will collapse.  Russia has to know this.
Putin is guaranteeing the destruction of the Russian Federation, and everything thus far indicates that he has enough control over the civilian power structure to continue.
The Russian Army is their last hope.  Roll into Moscow, surround the Kremlin and FSB HQ, and do what you have to do.  Young Russians with a future - get the fuck out NOW and don’t look back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:
This might have been answered, but can HIMARS hit a moving target?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

Apparently the demographic devastation that has already been imposed on the DPR and LPR so that a few hundred thousand conscripts with no training and pathetic equipment could be thrown into the meat grinder was so worth it that it's time for Russia to get a taste as well.

Of course the russian conscripts do, at least, have a few months of training. On the other hand, they have a few months of being beaten and raped by their NCOs. You'd also expect them to have better equipment but whether those equipment stocks exist and, if so, are in any kind of serviceable condition remains to be seen.
View Quote
The "referendums" may be to get around this. By Russian law conscripts can't be deployed outside of Russia until they have 4 months of training. If the areas are now "Russia" they can ship them immediately.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

They've been rather lackluster lately
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Originally Posted By kncook:

Israel would love a reason'to demolish Iran.

They've been rather lackluster lately
They need Bibi Netanyahu back

Also, 1 million recent Russian immigrants along with many others are Russian, is the other issue.  Sounds like things are changing, and its a great place to try out new technology
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Rather resourceful use of M203A1 used propellant canisters.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Dead men walking.

View Quote

Jesus
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#25]

RU has been attacking civilian infrastructure since day 1.

Are you saying they will ramp it up?  Almost certainly true.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

I think Russia will attack Ukrainian Civilian infrastructure next. Power and water.

RU has been attacking civilian infrastructure since day 1.

Are you saying they will ramp it up?  Almost certainly true.

Yes, I think they will ramp up significantly, and try to hit as much as they can in central and western Ukraine if possible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
You're wrong about China too, imo.  You greatly underestimate the US economy. The US can absolutely afford to fully sanction China.   It would hurt and we'd all take a big bite out of a shit sandwich in more expensive goods.    But we wouldn't go hungry.  Our economy is still on much deeper moorings than China's and, at the end of the day, we are STILL a manufacturing juggernaut with unfettered access to raw materials.   We can afford to re-home alot of industry that we previously off-shored.

View Quote

IF we don't continue to hamstring ourselves with idiotic regulations and restrictions to our own natural resources/manufacturing/fuel production, yes.

I believe the current leadership (sic) is actively conspiring to deny our citizens the ability to be productive and entrepreneurial and is, in fact, doing everything in their power to fleece the nation of every penny they can get their hands on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:47:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#29]

View Quote

AKA Charge 8 Super

ETA: IIRC, in BCS, there was no "Charge 8", but charge 7S.  Charge 7 was red bag.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#30]
The question is:

How far can Ukraine advance in 3 weeks? What sort of material will Russia have on the ground to support these new “recruits” in 3 weeks? What all can Russia mobilize with this 300k?

3 weeks is a lot of time for Ukraine to advance, destroy Russias ability to fight a war logistically, and entrench for winter.

I somehow don’t think this is going to go as planned for Russia.  But I also don’t think Ukraine will have a good time with 300k more assholes on their property.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#32]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Neat. I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Here’s an uncharacteristically coherent and intelligent brief article from the Daily Beast that paints a picture out of the parts:

- The Duma bill about prison sentences for troops is a ground work for stemming losses and letting the populace know manpower is needed
- The timing is in advance of the forced referendums in the occupied territories in the coming days
- The pre-ordained referendum results (leaks of “orders” to vote for Russia have already gotten out) will lay the groundwork for a full or partial mobilization
- Following the referendums a short while later, a mobilization announcement of some level will be made.

Link:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kremlins-new-hail-mary-shows-putin-is-more-panicked-than-ever?ref=scroll

This does neatly tie-up loose pieces and provide a possible analysis.  

Personally, I am NOT in the “they can’t mobilize” camp. They can.  Far less unified, capable nations have done so.  It’s important to keep in mind that from the Kremlin down, they have complete control over society and individual or local-scale acts of opposition are not an option.  Compliance and obedience will follow if ordered.  A quick comparison is that in Germany in WWII, Nazi “party membership” was only about 6 to 7% of the population in 1939 when they forced the war on to the country.  The country as a whole did NOT want war, but had no choice.  The key thing was controlling the police, the press, the courts, and being able to bring effective pressure into the workplace.  Modern Russia is AT LEAST as effective a totalitarian state as Germany in 1939.

The economy will not suffer much at all in any critical way at this point.  The damage to the economy is done by blocking trade - the lucrative exports and the crucial imports. That’s fixed and the economic potential downside is known to the central planners. It will not suffer any further meaningful trade losses at this point; the downside is factored in.  Taking some idled manpower off the streets is very likely a net positive to regime stability for all the obvious reasons.  In some ways, mobilization starts to look like a smart and stabilizing move from the Russian leadership perspective at this time.  If I were personally on “Team Putin,” I think I’d be arguing for it as the best play at the moment.
View Quote

How is the lack of meaningful supplies of critical components that were supplied by non-RU companies "fixed"?

How is their barely functional logistical capability going to handle an influx of additional mouths to feed and arm?

I agree that RU might mobilize in some sense, but I do not see it being a net positive for them and/or significantly improving their combat ability in UA.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I think that the point of mobilization is less about getting useful manpower and more about pushing the average Russian into having a "stake" in Ukraine.  Look - no one cares if body bags full of Tatars or Tajiks come back from Ukraine.  No one in the public is going to worry about them or press for harsher measures while ethnic minorities or prison inmates are dying.  

But . . .

The minute babushka looks across the table at an empty chair and thinks about lil Pavlov sitting in a muddy hole under Ukrainian artillery fire she will *double down* on any method to win.  That includes nuclear, biological, or chemical.  They won't care.  As a parent I can say that if my son was fighting I would shout at the top of my lungs for the government to use any weapon in our inventory to keep him alive.

I think the mobilization push is going to make the average Russian *care* about the war.  It's risky for Putin since if he loses he'll be torn limb from limb - but in the short term he'll have far more support for drastic and draconian measures.

Russia is still going to lose in the long term because they can't fight the entire civilized world.  But the savagery and bloodletting are going to increase exponentially in the short term.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

So instead of being Shanghied it will now be called Moskowed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Putin is an aging dictator.  He is acting like elderly kings have done forever, make one last big play for adding something to his legacy.  He was going to make Ukraine his golden years acquisition for his own glory.  Now that his legacy is in shambles, and he is embarrassed to the point of potentially being dethroned, he is going to do absolutely anything to try to reverse things,  this means all costs, even his own life, never mind the lives of the people he rules.  It’s victory and personal adulation and all that goes with it, or it’s death.  That’s where we are at.  If there were ever a justification to assassinate a world leader, Putin has earned it, and billions of lives are on the line.   Putin must die as soon as possible.
View Quote

I think there is a long line of middle-aged and mid-level oligarchs in Russia who still feel that they have plenty left to live for, and also don't wish to die in a nuclear fire.

All we have to do is keep doing what we have been doing, and they will do the needful.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Can you imagine the amount of data and “combat” time our EW - signals groups are getting.

Months of it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Wow..already stomping out any opposition to this
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Doesn't sound good
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

Jesus
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By switchtanks:
Dead men walking.

Jesus

That fat bastard needs to be one of the first to go to the front.

"Comrade, you can figure out the mine detector when you get there. Here's how you tie your boots."
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:08:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

One of the possible outcomes to this whole thing has always been the wheels coming off for Russia in other places besides Ukraine.  Russia has had a lid on a few things, and if one of those were to boil over I could see dominos falling, and Russia pulling back forces in other areas to throw into Ukraine could do just that.  Armenia/Azer is already cooking.  Imagine if unrest in Kazakhstan and/or Belarus flared up again, both of which are still raw from recent episodes.  Toss in Chechnya and Georgia and things would be way out of Putin's control.
View Quote

I agree. I said very early on in this thread and have repeated it a number of times:  He US/West/NATO should be using the current Russian weakness to exploit other Russian interests such as Cuba, Venezuela, Belarus, etc.  Russia can't even hold a front 30 miles from their own border, yet they manage to have a lot of pull with allies in the Western Hemisphere where they have zero ability to have a show of force. I want us to he fucking with Cuba and Venezuela right now. Those two nations are within our national interests.  How quickly would Russia lose interest in Ukraine knowing that the US could pull a similar stunt in those two countries (minus the rape). Parking a carrier group off the coast of Cuba or Venezuela and give Putin a big middle finger.  Withdraw or else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Personally I feel the same, but politically it’s difficult and in the long run unnecessary. Of course, it means a longer and bloodier war. What is do-able is assembling one+ US and two NATO divisions and positioning them in Poland and Romania. That’s do-able politically at this time, and arguably prudent.

The slow-boil on Putin is still the right play; it’s the one most likely to get him cooked and also bring down the rotten FSB kleptocratic regime. That’s the best chance of long-term peace.
View Quote

This has been my position and it still is.  Yes, it’s costly for Ukraine, but the further Russia pursues this the more complete their defeat will be.
If they took the sane approach and bailed out of a bad situation now, they could be back in 10 years worse than ever.  Continuing down the road they’re on leads to total collapse.
That said, some things need to change, especially with the long lead time stuff.  Ukraine needs to be allocated western fighters TODAY.  If it’s F16, they need to be pulled from storage and readied starting TODAY.  If it’s Gripen, SAAB needs to hire up and start production TODAY.  Training on them needs to start TODAY.
We need to figure out TODAY how to get them more 155 tubes, whether that’s reconditioning M198s or handing over M777s.
We need to get them counter-drone gear TODAY.
ATACMS can wait until fresh Russian forces are in country.  Then provide them so the UA can give these Russians a proper welcome.
As a final insurance policy - and some may disagree with me - we should hand Ukraine 25 nuclear warheads mounted on ATACMS.  We allowed this mess and we need to ensure Ukraine survives it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

It would appear so.

And that's exactly why I've been so concerned and not in a big hurry to escalate the tensions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:
Originally Posted By Paraflare:
So am I off base here...

RUS uses the "referendum" to absorb annexed regions into Russia proper saying the "people voted for it" line.

RUS then can accuse UKR/NATO/NAFO of direct attacks on RUS sovereign territory.

RUS then uses that excuse as an excuse to begin a pathway to full mobilization, further rhetoric about use of nuclear options.

All of this happening now due to desperate situation in UKR.

Is RUS about to go full retard?

It would appear so.

They were going full retard no matter what we did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Can you imagine the amount of data and “combat” time our EW - signals groups are getting.

Months of it.
View Quote

It's a treasure trove and will save lives for our side in the future.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

I believe the slow boil approach is dated now, with russia mobilizing and rushing the referendum, Ukraine doesnt have the time.  Once they pass the sham referendums and those territory's become russian, then this war will escalate beyond anything we have seen so far by multitudes, with out a doubt. I believe alot of folks are underestimating russias ability to wage war. Sure they have got there ass kicked so far, but once they think they are actually protecting russian land then it becomes a war and not a special military operation in the russian publics eyes and the russian gov will see a larger support for escalation.  And they will escalate.
View Quote

Ukraine would not be capable of retaking all lands before a sham referendum, even if the west completely took the gloves off in terms of supply.  Sham referendums will happen, Ukraine will continue to attack sham Russian territory, and the west will continue to supply Ukraine.
Right now it is unknown whether Russia will go nuclear in response to “an attack on Russia” but they will certainly bluff and test the west’s will.  We need to be prepared for that eventuality.  Nukes will either fly or they won’t.
The Russian people know their government is lying and a sham referendum isn’t going to turn an invasion into a holy war to protect mother Russia.  There will be no rush to serve, and in fact there’s every likelihood that internal opposition will grow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5585
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top