BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Ha! I knew it. Fucker don't have any balls.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

There will be nothing "emergency" in the President's address tomorrow. The appeal is dedicated to the 1160th anniversary of the birth of Russian statehood
https://t.me/glavmedia/198220

Ha! I knew it. Fucker don't have any balls.

If it's true, he must have faced significant pressure. I doubt they'd postpone some inane anniversary address at the last minute.
ETA Unless his health is failing and he couldn't swing it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

With the help of the Chinese they could retool some factories quickly.  Plus if they fully mobilize this isn’t going to happen just over 6 months. This is Russia committing to a war for the long haul. 5+ years. WWII style of retooling a country.
View Quote

A highly motivated population might do what you are saying, but Russia doesn't have a that. Anyone young and talented got out when this started. Their engineers are treated like crap. The old ones are retiring and there is no one to take their place.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

If it's true, he must have faced significant pressure. I doubt they'd postpone some inane anniversary address at the last minute.
ETA Unless his health is failing and he couldn't swing it.
View Quote

I am sure he's having nightmares of facing the wrong end of a Makarov. Things are probably a bit.... tense at the Kremlin.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The Scottish have taken the field

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/unknown-91-2533677.png
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Video (13 min) of American volunteer, video of his last mission in Balakliya. June 20th.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/xjk8kv/helmet_cam_footage_of_an_american_volunteer/
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

If China helps Russia prolong the war it weakens the west and Russia.  That’s a win win for China.

What if China has made the decision to start its conquest of Taiwan or the Philippines. Having nato nations tied up fighting Russia surely helps them.

There could be many possible reasons.  Hell they could help Russia field 200k men and send them to their deaths in Ukraine. This would open Eastern Russia of a even easier take over.
View Quote

Russia is going to bleed out, and china is going to watch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:

Well, even that backfired on him. Caused the adhesion stock exchange to crash..
“Russia's Stock Exchange Crashes as Mobilization Rumors Swirl

BY GIULIA CARBONARO ON 9/20/22 AT 10:55 AM EDT
Russia's stock exchange took a dive on Tuesday with the MOEX Russia Index—the ruble-denominated benchmark of the Russian stock market—sinking over 2 percent year-on-year, as per data from Trading Economics
Another factor which might be playing into the market's fall is the recent spread of rumors saying that Russian President Vladimir Putin might soon launch a mass mobilization for the war in Ukraine.”https://www.newsweek.com/russia-stock-exchange-crashes-mobilization-rumors-swirl-1744474?amp=1

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Originally Posted By Capta:

Simple, get people talking and build tension.  Let the west overthink it for another day.

Bingo.   I think that's exactly what it is.    They desperately need the US and Europe to stop giving weapons and ammo to Ukraine.

Well, even that backfired on him. Caused the adhesion stock exchange to crash..

Russia's stock exchange took a dive on Tuesday with the MOEX Russia Index—the ruble-denominated benchmark of the Russian stock market—sinking over 2 percent year-on-year, as per data from Trading Economics
Another factor which might be playing into the market's fall is the recent spread of rumors saying that Russian President Vladimir Putin might soon launch a mass mobilization for the war in Ukraine.”https://www.newsweek.com/russia-stock-exchange-crashes-mobilization-rumors-swirl-1744474?amp=1

Are the "ruble stronk" cheerleaders going to have the plums to buy the dip?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/unknown-91-2533677.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Its the zap brannigan maneuver.   Send in wave after wave of their own men to soak up munitions until the Kill-bots, uh, I mean HIMARs reach their preset kill limits.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Is it a big deal that they turned off their transponders? How often do they do something like that? What are they probably doing?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Russia is going to bleed out, and china is going to watch.
View Quote

China is only about China winning. Everybody else are either opportunities or obstacles. If it is useful to them for russia to bleed out, they will offer to render aid and then they will quietly take off the tourniquet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Well, even that backfired on him. Caused the Russian stock exchange to crash..

View All Quotes

Simple, get people talking and build tension.  Let the west overthink it for another day.

Bingo.   I think that's exactly what it is.    They desperately need the US and Europe to stop giving weapons and ammo to Ukraine.

The Russian stock exchange is not relevant.  The only relevant question is whether NATO calls or folds.
Much Russian propaganda and info ops have been building to this (probable) moment.  The narrative of “the cornered superpower”, the terror bombing, the hysterical rhetoric, all of if IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#15]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Is it a big deal that they turned off their transponders? How often do they do something like that? What are they probably doing?
View All Quotes

For all of them? If the report is accurate, from what I've seen, it would be notable. Waiting to see confirmation/opinions from the aircraft watchers.

My guess is sending a message to Moscow. They could also want to be prepared just in case, based on whatever intel they may have. No sense broadcasting your position.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Its definitely out of the ordinary, NATO maybe up to something or they are trying to make russia think they are
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Billy_Ringo:
It would appear that Russia has achieved complete air inferiority.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:17:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _disconnector_] [#18]
Decent Twitter thread co. ATACMS . . .

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Its definitely out of the ordinary, NATO maybe up to something or they are trying to make russia think they are
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

I just checked FlightRadar - there is nothing showing up anywhere near Ukraine.  Usually there are ISR assets over the Black Sea but now there's nothing at all.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Transponder is 99% of how all aircraft, which are tracked, are tracked. Getting a surface return ("skin paint") off an aircraft is much, much harder - all the way to damn near impossible with 5th gen aircraft.

What utility Russia claimed against western 5th gen aircraft with S400/S450/S500 was based on interlocking meshes of many radars, and careful computer analysis of returns from different stations.

Without a transponder on, a 5th gen aircraft can just about fly right overhead of a tracking and search ADA radar and it won't see a thing until the weapons bay opens up and delivers the internal payload.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like if Iran is getting involved, Israel will get involved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xjtvd4/israel_allows_transfer_of_advanced_antidrone/
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MNGearhead:
Looks like if Iran is getting involved, Israel will get involved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xjtvd4/israel_allows_transfer_of_advanced_antidrone/
View Quote

About time they quit sucking Russia's dick.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool story about an American killed in Ukraine.

His nickname there was Tactical Jesus
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#24]

For all of them? If the report is accurate, from what I've seen, it would be notable. Waiting to see confirmation/opinions from the aircraft watchers.

My guess is sending a message to Moscow. They could also want to be prepared just in case, based on whatever intel they may have. No sense broadcasting your position.

View Quote

The Artemis Challenger 650 is up right now (although it never does identify as .mil)
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:38:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#25]
Here’s an uncharacteristically coherent and intelligent brief article from the Daily Beast that paints a picture out of the parts:

- The Duma bill about prison sentences for troops is a ground work for stemming losses and letting the populace know manpower is needed
- The timing is in advance of the forced referendums in the occupied territories in the coming days
- The pre-ordained referendum results (leaks of “orders” to vote for Russia have already gotten out) will lay the groundwork for a full or partial mobilization
- Following the referendums a short while later, a mobilization announcement of some level will be made.

Link:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kremlins-new-hail-mary-shows-putin-is-more-panicked-than-ever?ref=scroll

This does neatly tie-up loose pieces and provide a possible analysis.  

Personally, I am NOT in the “they can’t mobilize” camp. They can.  Far less unified, capable nations have done so.  It’s important to keep in mind that from the Kremlin down, they have complete control over society and individual or local-scale acts of opposition are not an option.  Compliance and obedience will follow if ordered.  A quick comparison is that in Germany in WWII, Nazi “party membership” was only about 6 to 7% of the population in 1939 when they forced the war on to the country.  The country as a whole did NOT want war, but had no choice.  The key thing was controlling the police, the press, the courts, and being able to bring effective pressure into the workplace.  Modern Russia is AT LEAST as effective a totalitarian state as Germany in 1939.

The economy will not suffer much at all in any critical way at this point.  The damage to the economy is done by blocking trade - the lucrative exports and the crucial imports. That’s fixed and the economic potential downside is known to the central planners. It will not suffer any further meaningful trade losses at this point; the downside is factored in.  Taking some idled manpower off the streets is very likely a net positive to regime stability for all the obvious reasons.  In some ways, mobilization starts to look like a smart and stabilizing move from the Russian leadership perspective at this time.  If I were personally on “Team Putin,” I think I’d be arguing for it as the best play at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#26]

The Russian stock exchange is not relevant.  The only relevant question is whether NATO calls or folds.
Much Russian propaganda and info ops have been building to this (probable) moment.  The narrative of “the cornered superpower”, the terror bombing, the hysterical rhetoric, all of if IMO.
View All Quotes

@Capta  I honestly think that NATO countries are “in it to win it” at this point. I’m no NATO Homor and never thought we would see, for the most part/countries,  pulling together.  Add to that, for a non NATO country
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

The Artemis Challenger 650 is up right now (although it never does identify as .mil)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Forte 10 is up, but it’s still climbing before heading in theater.  We will see in a few hours if it goes dark as it reaches the Black Sea.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

Not.

Even.

Close.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

Really? When I was an archaeologist in SoCal, I did a lot of work on Camp Pendleton. Most of the places the Marines stopped to eat their MRE's didn't look much better. Just fewer stolen appliances.

Not.

Even.

Close.

Maybe not, but was it really so hard to get a fucking garbage bag to gather shit up? During training? FFS. I can't even tell you the number of mini Tabasco bottles I found, or the ridiculous amounts of trash.

Seriously. A garbage bag. Or just leave shit lying around like a fucking animal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I think I may have figured out why the Russians are such terrible litter bugs. They toss all of their garbage on the ground because their trash cans are full of AKs!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:05:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aireyc] [#30]
Putin speaking now

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#31]
Partial mobilization.

Here we go

Talking about nukes: "I'm not bluffing"  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Partial mobilization.

Here we go
View Quote

And threatening the west with nuclear war, "and I'm not bluffing"
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:19:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Veccio] [#33]
Sure seems like Putin has decided he is going full retard and will mobilize using the sham referenda as a casus belli. That would give them some raw bodies but they are untrained and RF lacks the resources to employ them and the logistics to support them. Short term it may help RF a bit but long term will do more harm than good, and I'm sure Putin knows that. The longer he pursues his folly of taking UKR the deeper the hole he is digging for himself and RF.

I don't see NATO or UKR backing down, it will be 'tit for tat' and more+better items will be sent to UKR unless Putin does something really stupid to escalate more.

ETA--This "3 day special military operation" turned into a forced mobilization to save the motherland pretty quickly
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
Sure seems like Putin has decided he is going full retard and will mobilize using the sham referenda as a casus belli. …
View Quote

Yep, It’s ON. Announced mobilization. If anyone ever wondered what a human-wave zergling rush would look like, sadly we are going to find out.

BBC (summary, but really no details of note):
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-62970683

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#35]
So Russia is announcing partial mobilization? How will that work?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:35:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Charging_Handle] [#36]
Who is he partially mobilizing? Actual Russians? Or will they be dragging more guys off the street in the occupied areas of Ukraine and informing them they are now cannon fodder?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Who is he partially mobilizing? Actual Russians? Or will they be dragging more guys off the street in the occupied areas and informing them they are now cannon fodder?
View Quote

He said those that are reservists will be mobilized, and veterans with a certain skill set/occupation that is needed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Charging_Handle] [#38]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

He said those that are reservists will be mobilized, and veterans with a certain skill set/occupation that is needed.
View Quote

I'm just about to the point I think NATO ought to assemble a few divisions and move into Ukraine. I am so sick of this son of a bitch. Somebody is going to have to do the needful on this demented fucker. Fuck Putin and his threats. If he wants a war with the west, then give him the opportunity.

At the very minimum, it is now time for the west to provide Ukraine any weaponry it may feel is required to finish this job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:45:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#39]
oops wrong thread
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#40]

I'm just about to the point I think NATO ought to assemble a few divisions and move into Ukraine. I am so sick of this son of a bitch. Somebody is going to have to do the needful on this demented fucker. Fuck Putin and his threats. If he wants a war with the west, then give him the opportunity.
View All Quotes

Well it's just like he looked in the mirror and listed all the things they've been doing this whole time, as what Ukraine is doing to to the four regions they want to have referendums in.

Said they will defend as if the motherland by any means necessary.

The West has crossed all lines.

I am not bluffing.

He will defend Russia and we will do it now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#41]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
oops wrong thread
View Quote

Username fits. We may be living Mad Max pretty soon over here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#42]

View Quote

Right. The partial aspect is just a soft-pedal sell for the news headlines. They can do what they want. Priorities will be:

- recent classes (e.g., young) of reservists - infantry and support personnel.
- any age special skills they need (ew, comms, ad, etc)

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:55:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Breaking footage of Russian reservists being called up

Where there's a whip, there's a way!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#45]
300,000 men in BTR-60s and two left boots? Meh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
300,000 men in BTR-60s and two left boots? Meh.
View Quote

1 left boot and they have to share the other with their battle comrade.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#47]

At the very minimum, it is now time for the west to provide Ukraine any weaponry it may feel is required to finish this job.
View All Quotes

we are far from sending NATO troops into Ukraine, what we can do is start sending them the actual weapons they ask for, including atacms, more armor and more JETS.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:08:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
It does look very "spectacular" unless you are in the middle of it.
It looks like the numerous other videos of the Russians doing the same shit in other places.
The video is legit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
It does look very "spectacular" unless you are in the middle of it.
It looks like the numerous other videos of the Russians doing the same shit in other places.
The video is legit.
I bet it would be even more "spectacular" if you were the target.

I don't recall seeing footage of this type of weapon before.  My initial impression, especially with that background music, is that it looked beautiful, like Tinkerbell spreading pixie dust over the town.  Now that know what the weapon is and what it looks like it doesn't look as fake (or pretty) anymore.

Originally Posted By Jack67:
Follow the twitter link and scroll down. The geolocating evidence shows the whole village burned out.  Pics are there.
I see a couple of Google Earth screenshots, but the imagery is dated from 2020 and therefore doesn't show the village burned out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That number is far, far too small to have a “war winning” effect.

They may be thinking it is enough to secure Donetsk and Luhansk, and Crimea. Then they can declare victory and sue for peace. This won’t work, but it gives them breathing room for six more months to see how things develop. It’s a classic bad strategic move as it offers no hope of achieving the necessary objectives for a peace. Incrementalism won’t work here. They need to go big or go home. They aren’t doing either.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Numbers are back up today.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5589
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top