Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 87
Posted: 9/22/2021 6:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy]
I know this is talked about regularly but maybe someone will read this and actually look at what is going on.

I do most of the shopping for my wife and I and I am telling you it is getting ridiculous. On top of that supply is getting low. This past Saturday I went to the store and couldn’t find multiple items in the brands I have always bought.

Ribeyes were $18.97 a pound. I usually buy Oscar Meyer bacon but today I bought the grocery store brand because the Oscar Meyers was $9 for 12 oz. the food city brand was $4 when you bought 5.

I am fairly comfortable. I don’t even pay attention to price most of the time for just the two of us. But I am not finding my brands more and more and the prices are getting to the point I am passing up items I am just not willing to pay for.

Again, I know this isn’t news to anyone paying attention but maybe it will help someone. And one last thing to consider…

You can not help your nation if you can not take care of yourself and your family.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

They banned crypto mining months ago.  Now they banned crypto transactions.

So before you couldn’t mine it but still could buy and sell it.  Now you can’t buy or sell any crypto, no crypto transactions period.

They did this so people couldn’t move capital out of the country as easy.  China is having serious financial issues and they are “plugging” holes in a sinking boat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]

So before you couldn’t mine it but still could buy and sell it.  Now you can’t buy or sell any crypto, no crypto transactions period.

They did this so people couldn’t move capital out of the country as easy.  China is having serious financial issues and they are “plugging” holes in a sinking boat.
View Quote

Well, at least we don’t have to worry about financial troubles in the US. We have printers that literally make money.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

Again? They just did that a couple months ago.

Those financial issues are also going to ripple around the world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Have Sams, Costco, and BJs all within a sq mile near me. So they all tend to be competitive on prices on most things. Visited Sams this morning.

Brisket $7.9x / lb
Ribeye $12.99 / lb
Prego spag sauce non-existent in Sams & BJs
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s crazy all right.  Can’t even special order a cake at several places.  It’s take and go.  This is weird.  It’s hard to believe lockdown is causing these issues.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
Have Sams, Costco, and BJs all within a sq mile near me. So they all tend to be competitive on prices on most things. Visited Sams this morning.

Brisket $7.9x / lb
Ribeye $12.99 / lb
View Quote

Was in Sam's in SC this morning. Pallets of spag sauce.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glklvr:

Brisket $7.9x / lb
Ribeye $12.99 / lb

Here there is plenty and on sale for $1 a jar.

Got all hoardy today and stopped by the meat market and bought another 4 1 1/2 lb packs of applewood smoked thick cut bacon for $3.99 each.

Got another 12 cans of chunky soup also for $1.25 a can at another place.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#8]

Brisket $7.9x / lb
Ribeye $12.99 / lb
View Quote

Prime Brisket at my Costco is $4.99/lb
Choice Brisket at Kroger today was $3.99/lb.

I buy briskets twice a year, or whenever Costco has prime for $2.99.  Last briskets I bought were choice at Tom Thumb, on sale for $1.65 / lb 2-3 months ago.

I think Brisket is usually cheaper in Texas tho.... compared to what other states report.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
You used to be able to get a 20 pound brisket at the commissary for 50 bucks a few months ago. Now a 9 pound brisket flat is 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Yea, definitely fake news. Everyone on here is full of it and prices aren't going up because you found some sales flyers for items that may not even be in stock.
View All Quotes

Yea, definitely fake news. Everyone on here is full of it and prices aren't going up because you found some sales flyers for items that may not even be in stock.

Not in stock?  If they don't have something you just ask the butcher to go get you some, or you get a raincheck.  But it almost never happens.

Here is today's pickup.  Everything that was on sale had plenty of stock.  We only buy meat when it is on sale, and put it back in the freezer.

Chuck Roast:  $2.99/lb
Ground beef:  $2.49/lb
Chicken Quarters $0.59/lb
Spare ribs $1.77/lb
Breakfast sausages: $2.12/lb

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Not in stock?  If they don't have something you just ask the butcher to go get you some, or you get a raincheck.  But it almost never happens.

Here is today's pickup.  Everything that was on sale had plenty of stock.  We only buy meat when it is on sale, and put it back in the freezer.

Spare ribs $1.77/lb

https://i.postimg.cc/26RWN3fs/screenshot-633.png

View Quote

Awesome, you essentially have a gold mine. Stock it deep.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Earlier today some woman on Fox Bus was predicting shortages again to include TP.

View Quote

What about chalk?  Did she say anything about the upcoming chalk shortage / price increase?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a story on the news about a Philadelphia school who weren't supplied with breakfasts or lunches today because the food service had no one to prepare it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thunder900] [#14]
I predict $6-$10 gallon gasoline next summer with rationing and gas lines, just like the 70's. Some places will have $15+ in CONUS, Hawaii hitting close to $20!  Diseal will be close to $8, higher in CA, and did I mention Hawaii?

This will have an obvious cascade effect on food prices.

Rolling blackouts will also be the norm, so electric cars wont be a solution.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
There was a story on the news about a Philadelphia school who weren't supplied with breakfasts or lunches today because the food service had no one to prepare it.
View Quote

Oh NO! Did their parents make them a bag lunch with their welfare $$$ and food stamps?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Thunder900:
I predict $6-$10 gallon gasoline next summer with rationing and gas lines, just like the 70's. Some places will have $15+ in CONUS, Hawaii hitting close to $20!  Diseal will be close to $8, higher in CA, and did I mention Hawaii?

View Quote

I don’t know about those gas prices but we’re seeing the managed decline of the USA into a third world nation.

Don’t overlook how shitty healthcare is now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
jumping kangaroo in a Covid mask those ribeyes are high...
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrownNgold] [#18]
Here’s my take as a farmer on the subject.

We are not getting more money for our cattle.  Meat packaging plants are making record profits.  So the meat plants and distributors are causing 99% of the price increases.

Fertilizer costs have skyrocketed. Next year fertilizer costs are going to be 40-50% more than this last year.  Corn and soybeans will cost more to grow.

Number of cattle in the country is decreasing thanks to the drought in the west. Next year it’s predicted that our overall numbers will continue to decrease. This hopefully means farmers will get paid more per head and unfortunately the consumer will pay more.

We are exporting a ridiculous amount of our grain.  Look up and see how much the Chinese have imported this year compared to last year. You’ll be shocked.  Here in my region there is a corn shortage.  I sold corn this week for $1.10 a bushel more than what it’s trading at in Chicago that’s insane.

We get calls daily asking if we have any finished steers to sell to local people.  The butcher shops near us are booked out 18 months!  

Next year there will be shortages. Prices will go up a lot more.  

If you can start growing and raising your own food. If you can’t buy from a local farmer.
View Quote

If you can even get fertilizer, in my opinion the 3 or 4 major producers of fertilizer colude more than the meat packers
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Reminds me of all the Doom 'n Gloom "You Ain't Seen Bad Yet But It's Coming, Part 87" threads from 2009.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
Reminds me of all the Doom 'n Gloom "You Ain't Seen Bad Yet But It's Coming, Part 87" threads from 2009.
View Quote

Except if you will recall in 2009 there wasn't limits on goods at major retailers or half empty shelves.

Maybe your wife does all the shopping and you haven't seen the shortages. Maybe you aren't in a manufacturing business where you have struggled to get materials. But in the end, unfortunately,it doesn't matter if you believe it or not for it to be happening.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

And instead of Doom we got a printing press running on nitrous boost.

You can’t paper over it forever and if you try, $100 loaf of bread is coming.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

That will kill disposable income for many. Which implodes everything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
jumping kangaroo in a Covid mask those ribeyes are high...
View Quote

On wednesday I stopped at a store after work, thought I would pick up a steak to grill.

They had steak, looked at the label, all of them said product of mexico, all of the had no marbling thru the meat only a thick ring of fat running around the steak, prices were upwards of $50 for 2.

I passed and thought WTF. first those were the most horrible looking steaks I have ever seen, claimed to be ribeye, then the price.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Laugh all you want. It will cost me about $90 and be worth more than crypto in the near future I am afraid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akgunwinner:

500lb of salt?!

Laugh all you want. It will cost me about $90 and be worth more than crypto in the near future I am afraid.

NO
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Mirroring an earlier post, I have a friend who is a p/t lunch lady at our district. She's in charge of the orders/unloading and also is having issues. She said the trucks have been showing up basically empty.

Our stores here in my area are feast or famine. One will be stripped bare, the other full of product. Dairy seems the most affected.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:59:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPP] [#26]
Food prices definitely up a lot since January.  A lot of empty shelves too which makes me think of Venezuela. Some goods I normally used to buy are never available.

Still no hunting ammo on any store shelves, including cabelas. Glad I stocked up when times were better.

Gas here was $1.60-1.80 a gallon for 3 years. Now topped $3 for first time since the Kenyan POS was in the WH.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#27]
In all industries....there is shortages.
Biggest is labor and truck drivers.
Who would thought...giving folks a raise to stay home while you pay thier rent would snowball....
And now it's take the jab or lose your job and xiden saying the unvaxd are ruining the economy
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By protus:
In all industries....there is shortages.
Biggest is labor and truck drivers.
Who would thought...giving folks a raise to stay home while you pay thier rent would snowball....
And now it's take the jab or lose your job and xiden saying the unvaxd are ruining the economy
View Quote

Look at the bright side, no mean things being said on twitter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I saw deli sliced bacon $10.99 a pound!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:12:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Londo] [#30]

View Quote

Do you  come with predicting credentials, or are you just bloviating? Specifically, why do you predict diseal will be "close to $8, higher in CA"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#31]

500lb of salt?!

View All Quotes

Luckily I have access to that. I am about to buy 500 pounds of salt for instance. But perishables are another story.

500lb of salt?!

Maybe he raises his own hogs, and is going to cure hams
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SamB:
Was just looking at ground beef prices this morning and they’re up 27% locally from last week.
If your wages dropped 27%, you’d notice quickly.  But when staples increase, it’s the same thing.
It’s gonna be a weird winter.
View Quote

Wages for most people go up2-4% a year
Not 25-50%
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I went to my local store yesterday. They are a premium grocery store with great produce and meats. I was paying closer attention to prices and was skipping some products. Most products i was adding to my cart average around 8 bucks. Its getting very costly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Those were good threads. I was about to suggest to OP that this thread could be chapter 1 in the chronicle of the nation’s demise. The “YASBYBIC” threads were the prologue.

Make sure you have good shoes, coats and durable clothes. It won’t get any better from here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By macman37:

Those were good threads. I was about to suggest to OP that this thread could be chapter 1 in the chronicle of the nation’s demise. The “YASBYBIC” threads were the prologue.

Make sure you have good shoes, coats and durable clothes. It won’t get any better from here.
View Quote

Funny you mention clothes.

I have been on a Filson wool flannel shirt and jacket kick lately. Even off eBay they still run $40 in excellent condition. But the difference is wool last years longer than cotton. That is reason enough but add onto it that wool actually still works when wet and you have a winner.

I am also picking up spare boots when I find good deals. Work gloves as well.

None of that stuff is going to get cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Not sure what was going on this morning but folks were raiding chicken, bacon like there was no tomorrow.

Most of the chicken was sold out, whole chickens, breasts etc, no bacon on the shelfs at all. I was like wtf is going here.

I did hit the dry staples for pintos and rice, 10lbs of each, found the smoked ham hocks were full for I picked up a few of those to vac seal for the freezer.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 1shott:
Not sure what was going on this morning but folks were raiding chicken, bacon like there was no tomorrow.

Most of the chicken was sold out, whole chickens, breasts etc, no bacon on the shelfs at all. I was like wtf is going here.

I did hit the dry staples for pintos and rice, 10lbs of each, found the smoked ham hocks were full for I picked up a few of those to vac seal for the freezer.

View Quote

As I said earlier the news stories are starting to hit and it’s starting to circulate of Facebook.

I can’t help but wonder if that has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I buy 70/30 ground beef in 10 lb. increments.

Last year, it was $19.99 for the 10-pounder. After the covid panic shopping, the price raised to $21.99. A few months ago, the price raised again to $22.99.

I bought a couple more last night and they were $25.99/each.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#39]

As I said earlier the news stories are starting to hit and it’s starting to circulate of Facebook.

View All Quotes

Could be. I think I need to plan a trip this week while I am off and stock up on fresh chicken breasts I can vac seal into individual bags among a few other items.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#40]
It is getting interesting out there and not in a good way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:11:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: exponentialpi] [#41]

View All Quotes

It’s not just news stories. Investors are picking it up.

ETA: That is weird. My images won’t load for the full thread. Click the date to read the quote string.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Spare ribs $1.77/lb

https://i.postimg.cc/26RWN3fs/screenshot-633.png

View Quote

You went "Krogering"
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:47:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CVO] [#43]
I can only afford Spam.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I just ''love'' checking package weights and catching the reductions manufacturers try to slip past consumers.

Cereal has been a big one recently.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CVO:
I can only afford Spam.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140585/spam_jpg-2104646.JPG
View Quote

You might be surprised how little canned meat is in the shelves. My mother found a couple cans down here but she couldn’t find any at all in Roanoke.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: speedracer422] [#46]
My wife wants to buy another chest freezer...I have enough room right now I could probably squeeze a deer in my current one if I really organized and cooked up older bulky stuff, but I also want to top off our beef supplies while the prices are still normal in my area.

I'm not sure where id put another freezer either

I'm conflicted lol.

Maybe I'll get a pressure cooker and see about jarring meat...freeze dryer would be awesome too but both methods seem like a lot of effort vs just buying canned or freeze dried meats.

ETA: who's got the best deals on freeze dried tvp right now? my wife doesn't like it, but it's good enough for soups or stews in a pinch.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Went to the local grocery store this morning and meat prices weren't higher than normal and there wasn't any shortages.

Went to a super WM last weekend and there were definite shortages as parts of entire aisles were empty of product.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I wanted to have some chicken wings for lunch just now. So I checked online to see if a restaurant a few minutes away was open yet and to see their prices. Online it said around $9.50 for 10 wings ang $16.00 for a double order of 20. Not bad prices now at all.

I drove there with the intention of picking up a double order. The large sign on the wall had pieces of paper covering the prices with new prices written in pen. A single order is now $16 and a double is $26. My face looked pretty much like this.

So of course I turned right around. I bought wings at the super market that I'm making right now. The price at the market was $3.99 a pound which comes out to be around $13 for 20 wings. If I recall correctly last year they were $3.49 a pound at the market.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BrownNgold:

If you can even get fertilizer, in my opinion the 3 or 4 major producers of fertilizer colude more than the meat packers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BrownNgold:
Here's my take as a farmer on the subject.

We are not getting more money for our cattle.  Meat packaging plants are making record profits.  So the meat plants and distributors are causing 99% of the price increases.

Fertilizer costs have skyrocketed. Next year fertilizer costs are going to be 40-50% more than this last year.  Corn and soybeans will cost more to grow.

Number of cattle in the country is decreasing thanks to the drought in the west. Next year it's predicted that our overall numbers will continue to decrease. This hopefully means farmers will get paid more per head and unfortunately the consumer will pay more.

We are exporting a ridiculous amount of our grain.  Look up and see how much the Chinese have imported this year compared to last year. You'll be shocked.  Here in my region there is a corn shortage.  I sold corn this week for $1.10 a bushel more than what it's trading at in Chicago that's insane.

We get calls daily asking if we have any finished steers to sell to local people.  The butcher shops near us are booked out 18 months!  

Next year there will be shortages. Prices will go up a lot more.  

If you can start growing and raising your own food. If you can't buy from a local farmer.

Yes, yes they do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
View Quote

People have decided they don’t want to work.

They will reap the benefits thereof.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 87
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top