Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 88
Posted: 9/22/2021 6:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy]
I know this is talked about regularly but maybe someone will read this and actually look at what is going on.

I do most of the shopping for my wife and I and I am telling you it is getting ridiculous. On top of that supply is getting low. This past Saturday I went to the store and couldn’t find multiple items in the brands I have always bought.

Ribeyes were $18.97 a pound. I usually buy Oscar Meyer bacon but today I bought the grocery store brand because the Oscar Meyers was $9 for 12 oz. the food city brand was $4 when you bought 5.

I am fairly comfortable. I don’t even pay attention to price most of the time for just the two of us. But I am not finding my brands more and more and the prices are getting to the point I am passing up items I am just not willing to pay for.

Again, I know this isn’t news to anyone paying attention but maybe it will help someone. And one last thing to consider…

You can not help your nation if you can not take care of yourself and your family.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
25% increase on your EBT means you should be able to buy whatever you want
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to a non-membership restaurant supply store. Buying bulk still helps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
25% increase on your EBT means you should be able to buy whatever you want
View Quote

The Haitians will be well taken care of.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've made several threads over the last 18-24 months about how important I think it is to get food storage 'now' (as of 18 months ago) because prices are going to be crazy.

I still think there's a LONG ways for prices to go up.  Food is pretty inelastic overall, although when prices climb for one item people chase cheaper foods, so individually there is some elasticity to food prices.  Regardless, getting a few hundred pounds of food storage is cheaper now than it's ever going to be again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mastercraftsman:
View Quote

Luckily I have access to that. I am about to buy 500 pounds of salt for instance. But perishables are another story.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Luckily I have access to that. I am about to buy 500 pounds of salt for instance. But perishables are another story.
View Quote

You can get meat, frozen vegetables, #10 cans of things, beans, rice, fats & oils. The supply chain only seems to be more messed up now. What is funny is that ground beef and chicken thighs are still cheap. Thank you ribeye and wing only people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Better cut everyone another stimmy check then.............
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

500lb of salt?!

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1srelluc] [#9]
In before someone claims they bought USDA Prime ribeyes for $4.87 a pound.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#10]
Originally Posted By akgunwinner:

500lb of salt?!

View Quote

Laugh all you want. It will cost me about $90 and be worth more than crypto in the near future I am afraid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

The one near us is hammered way worse than the local groceries. Their shipments are intermittent at best. I don't know how the local restaurants are coping with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Laugh all you want. It will cost me about $90 and be worth more than crypto in the near future I am afraid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

500lb of salt?!

How do you store it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
A pound of 80/20 hamburger is 5.99 here
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ras_Thavas] [#14]
My wife also said the same thing about shelves not being fully stocked. She said it's not as bad as when Covid lockdowns first started, but it is noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Alpharomeojoe:

How do you store it?
View All Quotes

500lb of salt?!

How do you store it?

The Simpsons - Homer's sugar pile speech

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I can only imagine what I'm going to pay for my Prime Rib roast this year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

500lb of salt?!

In this thread we find out who hasn't read Alas, Babylon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bosifus:

The one near us is hammered way worse than the local groceries. Their shipments are intermittent at best. I don't know how the local restaurants are coping with it.
View Quote

I'm seeing new brands to fill the gaps. Many restaurants around here are not serving certain items because they cannot get the ingredients. Even when it comes to sandwiches.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]

How do you store it?
View Quote

It's salt. Keep it dry and it's good forever.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

500lb of salt?!

When I store legumes and grains, I always store salt along with it.  It doesn’t go bad and makes even the simplest dishes much more palatable.  It’s also an essential mineral for the body.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]

How do you store it?
View Quote

Lowe’s sells food grade buckets at a decent price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Treadhead:
I can only imagine what I'm going to pay for my Prime Rib roast this year.
View Quote

Buy it now or you probably won't get it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I have noticed a small increase where I live, bit I haven't seen the $20/lb Ribeyes like has been posted yet.

I assume it's coming, but I'm content to just eat deer if if meat triples in price

FWIW, my local grocery store had Aussie Ribeyes "on sale" yesterday for $9.95/lb...they usually go on sale for $7-$8/lb and they are awesome

Speed
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By millfire517:
A pound of 80/20 hamburger is 5.99 here
View Quote

Spoke to a restaurant owner in Vegas last week.
He said that wholesale chicken prices are at $6.00/Lb. instead  of the usual $2.00/Lb.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#25]
On the plus side, this might be the year deer hunting becomes profitable for me, after all of the dumb shit I buy to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Our local stores are filling in the gaps on the shelves with multiple displays of the stuff they do have.

Anybody else notice that the stimulus checks for everyone have disappeared now?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Buy it now or you probably won't get it.
View Quote
I would if I could find it.  Around here it doesn't show up in the stores 'till mid' November.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Find a local farmer and start studying how to butcher animals.

The scarcity doesn’t exist on the farmer side of the equation. It exists in the processing/delivery section of the supply chain. You can buy direct from the farmers at generally decent prices, and if you can butcher it yourself, even better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I go through about 1lb. of salt a year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#30]
Originally Posted By Naamah:
Find a local farmer and start studying how to butcher animals.

The scarcity doesn’t exist on the farmer side of the equation. It exists in the processing/delivery section of the supply chain. You can buy direct from the farmers at generally decent prices, and if you can butcher it yourself, even better.
View Quote

Hence my salt order.

Though not for I expect in the very near future. But my grandparents still salted meat and I remember their stories.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mitikoki] [#31]
Marinated fajita was $8.99 a pound 7 months ago, as of yesterday it was $13.99 , same store same meat, chew on that...
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm doing work for a butcher right now, he was telling me today that their wholesale costs have steadily gone up on beef for over a year now.

Chuck roast is up to $5/lb for the wholesaler, that's crazy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I know this is talked about regularly but maybe someone will read this and actually look at what is going on.

I do most of the shopping for my wife and I and I am telling you it is getting ridiculous. On top of that supply is getting low. This past Saturday I went to the store and couldn’t find multiple items in the brands I have always bought.

Ribeyes were $18.97 a pound. I usually buy Oscar Meyer bacon but today I bought the grocery store brand because the Oscar Meyers was $9 for 12 oz. the food city brand was $4 when you bought 5.

I am fairly comfortable. I don’t even pay attention to price most of the time for just the two of us. But I am not finding my brands more and more and the prices are getting to the point I am passing up items I am just not willing to pay for.

Again, I know this isn’t news to anyone paying attention but maybe it will help someone. And one last thing to consider…

You can not help your nation if you can not take care of yourself and your family.
View Quote

What area of VA do you live in?

I’m near Lynchburg.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Was just looking at ground beef prices this morning and they’re up 27% locally from last week.
If your wages dropped 27%, you’d notice quickly.  But when staples increase, it’s the same thing.
It’s gonna be a weird winter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a half of beef ordered from a friend, like normal.

I'm curious how much the price goes up this year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
In before someone claims they bought USDA Prime ribeyes for $4.87 a pound.
View Quote

Just bought some ribeyes for $6.99/lb.

Got chuckeye steak and roast for <$5/lb over the weekend.

Picked up 8 pounds of 80/20 ground beef for $1.40/lb.

I pretty regularly get bacon for $1-2.50/lb.  Still have 20+ lbs in the freezer from a month or 2 ago.

Bought several pork shoulder butts for $0.75/lb a couple weeks ago.

I have gotten more and better deals on food this year than I ever have in the past.  It seems like the supply issues are causing some stores to get an overabundance of some items that they just don't have the demand for, so they have to drop the price to move it all before it goes bad.

I do have a lot of stores in my area and try to stop in pretty regularly at some.  For others, I try to watch some of the deal message boards and such to get heads up on deals and jump on them when they pop up.  If I just went to one store at one time each week and bought everything at once, I wouldn't expect to see much savings.  I've learned that sometimes you have to exert a little effort to achieve savings.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Silas:

What area of VA do you live in?

I’m near Lynchburg.
View Quote

Four hours SW of you Near Pennington Gap. Almost in Kentucky or TN.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#39]
OP not wrong.  Same here.  

Today stopped at Chipotle for first time in a long time.  Besides short and untrained staff, I paid $21 for a steak burrito bowl.  2x meat and guac.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SCW:

I still think there's a LONG ways for prices to go up.  Food is pretty inelastic overall, although when prices climb for one item people chase cheaper foods, so individually there is some elasticity to food prices.  Regardless, getting a few hundred pounds of food storage is cheaper now than it's ever going to be again.
View Quote

Im less worried about price than supply runs. Remember the beginning of the covid, just after the teepee apocalypse? We had a box freezer to carry us, but the shelves at the local frys were looking bare.

Already advised best girl to pick up canned goods each trip she makes to the gro.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I've now been to two restaurants, 400 miles apart, that listed Market Price on their menu for chicken wings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Four hours SW of you Near Pennington Gap. Almost in Kentucky or TN.
View Quote

Nice area.

I had to go to Dryden several times for work and passed through Pennington Gap each time.

It was great to get paid for such a pleasant ride from Knoxville.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#43]
If you can, go directly to the source for meat.  I picked up a hog and 1/2 beef last week.  $3/lb for the hog and $4/lb for the beef for all the different cuts.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Kill deer.  Im gng to put 4-5 in the freezer this year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Earlier today some woman on Fox Bus was predicting shortages again to include TP.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PaulinNE:
If you can, go directly to the source for meat.  I picked up a hog and 1/2 beef last week.  $3/lb for the hog and $4/lb for the beef for all the different cuts.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130785/93F70A34-529C-4E6D-8F7D-7077A39CB47A_jpe-2101166.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130785/62370AC3-17B6-446A-9E38-16E004B37587_jpe-2101171.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130785/9803FD6D-4115-4951-B370-43CFDD054B06_jpe-2101172.JPG
View Quote

Going to pick up my side of beef tomorrow. I think I am going to look for a hog next but there aren’t nearly as many hog farmers here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
Kill deer.  Im gng to put 4-5 in the freezer this year.
View Quote

Then you're stuck eating venison instead of beef all year though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By vetmotox:
OP not wrong.  Same here.  

Today stopped at Chipotle for first time in a long time.  Besides short and untrained staff, I paid $21 for a steak burrito bowl.  2x meat and guac.
View Quote

You should have pulled your gun like the gal in Philly did today. She got her food and it was probably free.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#49]

How do you store it?
View All Quotes

500lb of salt?!

How do you store it?
Like it's a rock or something.

500lbs of salt is pretty common for people who have a water softener.

You'll go through it if you're salting large quantities of meat.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Less than a year ago I bought a pound of hamburger at heb for 2.88, yesterday it was 5.99, unreal
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 88
Top Top