Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2021 1:16:29 PM EDT
I just bought a brand new All-Clad D5 12.5 inch skillet and a D3 8 QT stock pot.

Both are cupped so that the middle is about 1/8" higher than the edges and all liquids pool around the perimeter.    

The skillet was also badly warped right out of the box so that it rocks on my glass stove top.   I returned the skillet and the replacement was warped just as badly.

I had thought that All-Clad was supposed to be tier 1 but I have cheap chinese crap that is perfectly flat....  What am I missing?

Before everyone says just use cast iron, I have plenty of cast iron but also like to use a stainless pan for things that will damage the seasoning.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Before everyone says just use cast iron, I have plenty of cast iron but also like to use a stainless pan for things that will damage the seasoning.
View Quote

Use enameled cast iron (Le Creuset)?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a number of All-Clad pots and pans and they are excellent. Mine are close to 20 years old. I have no idea about current quality.

You could contact them through their site and tell them what you have experienced: https://www.all-clad.com/

I think of mine as top tier build quality but not luxury style.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks my stuff is great
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Covid AllClad.
I have the Emeril set which is the Chicom made AllClad, It's been fine. One large saucepan is a little domed on the bottom and I haven't got around to messing with fixing it yet as it doesn't get used much.

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my glass stove top
View Quote

Complaining about All-Clad while using a glass induction stove...
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You might contact them.  They have a warranty
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Another business destroyed by a union
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Have had a set for about 15 years, they are nice but sometimes a pain to clean
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Return it.  Even the best stuff can have defective pieces slip through.

And consider Tramontina tri-ply clad (not tri-ply base).
90+% as good as All-Clad for a third of the price.  Or at least it was when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine says USA on it. Good quality but 10 years old.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The answer you seek is Mauviel.  Be prepared for sticker shock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of their copper core pans to try out last year. They are expensive, but I noticed a dramatic difference. Food cooked better and more evenly. It can be a bitch to clean sometimes, but it's held up well so far, but at that price I'd expect it to.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Induction works quite well in my limited experience, the older glass top electric elements suck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

There is nothing wrong with a good-quality glass-top stove.  If you can't cook on one, it's not the stove's fault.  I've had them in three different houses for 18 years.  The current one is the best I've used.  None were induction.

I'm sure there are some crappy ones, of course, and that might be where a lot of the bad rep comes from.  My first one was okay, but it took a little getting used to.  Each time I've moved, they've gotten better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife has an entire All-Clad set.  It's excellent quality stuff.  Never noticed a problem like yours OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]
No...I have a number Copper Core pans.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Return it.  Even the best stuff can have defective pieces slip through.

And consider Tramontina tri-ply clad (not tri-ply base).
90+% as good as All-Clad for a third of the price.  Or at least it was when I bought mine.
View Quote

I have a Tramontina stock pot that is really well made.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another business destroyed by a union
View All Quotes

Is there any evidence for this?

My all clad stuff is great, a few years old though
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Also, like most other companies, they have product tiers. The lower tier products are made overseas, the high end stuff like the copper core is actually made in the US, at made in the US prices.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
My USA made D3s are 10 years old and still perfect. Contact all clad.

They do have factory seconds out in the wild.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Honestly, vintage Revere Ware pots and pans are tits.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Le Creuset is where its at
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Regular electric glass top stoves suck. Induction stoves generally work very well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine are flat, and still work great after several years of use.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with a good-quality glass-top stove.  If you can't cook on one, it's not the stove's fault.  I've had them in three different houses for 18 years.  The current one is the best I've used.  None were induction.

I'm sure there are some crappy ones, of course, and that might be where a lot of the bad rep comes from.  My first one was okay, but it took a little getting used to.  Each time I've moved, they've gotten better.
View Quote
Aside from being super slow to adjust temperature and incompatible with cast iron, they are perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I have plenty of AC. I rarely use it these days, preferring to use cast iron. Some of my AC is warped - I think from high heat. Have you ever seen the steel skillets they use in restaurants? They generally warped all to hell.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Aside from being super slow to adjust temperature and incompatible with cast iron, they are perfectly acceptable.
View Quote

How is a glass-top incompatible with cast iron? I have occasion to use a glass-top (non-induction) frequently with cast iron. More often, I use an induction glass-top with cast iron. Standard glass tops suck, but they do work.

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Glass tops can really screw up some cookware.

Think it has to do with localized heating causing the pan bottoms to warp at high temps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No...I have a number Copper Core pans.
View Quote

No...I have all copper pans...
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Regular electric glass top stoves suck. Induction stoves generally work very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our last house we had a 5k thermador induction cooktop. No gas available and that was the best.

I would call them or return it. The D5 series shouldn’t have a problem. Other than the nonstick pans our all clad has been excellent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#34]
All-Clad is tier one.

You bought someone’s returned merch after they warped them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How is a glass-top incompatible with cast iron? I have occasion to use a glass-top (non-induction) frequently with cast iron. More often, I use an induction glass-top with cast iron. Standard glass tops suck, but they do work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.  I've used cast-iron on mine for years.

My first one was slow to adjust, but my second and third have been much better.  Even slow to adjust, you could easily compensate for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All-Clad is tier one.

You bought someone's returned merch after they warped them.
View Quote

This is quite possible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a number of All-Clad pots and pans and they are excellent. Mine are close to 20 years old. I have no idea about current quality.

You could contact them through their site and tell them what you have experienced: https://www.all-clad.com/

I think of mine as top tier build quality but not luxury style.
View Quote

25 years in on ours and they’ve been great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]
So you care enough to buy allclad and then complain it’s deficiencies... then cook on a glass top stove?

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Overpriced. For the price of one all clad Pan you could buy a dozen non stick pans.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#40]
My D3 are fine, best pan and pots.

All Clad stand behind their products, keep contacting them, they will make it right.

BTW, where did you bought your D5 from?
I stay away from the All-Clad factory seconds thou.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought a Viking set at Sams Club for our new induction top.  Turns out our old Farberware works fine.  Viking seems pretty good, but the price dropped and they cleared them out a month after we got ours....
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Poor care can ruin anything.  I got about 15 years out of my skillet-then somehow managed to warp it.  That said 15years vs an semi annual non stick
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

There might not be anything wrong with a glass top electric stove, but cooking on one sucks horribly compared to gas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Overpriced. For the price of one all clad Pan you could buy a dozen non stick pans.
View Quote

If I'm shopping for a stainless pan, why would I buy non-stick?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No...I have all copper pans...
View Quote

Yeah, would imagine those are better with the price (and upkeep pain) to match.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Induction works quite well in my limited experience, the older glass top electric elements suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Induction is bad ass. All the control and speed of gas, none of the extra heat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Honestly, vintage Revere Ware pots and pans are tits.
View Quote

I have a ~20 year old 10" Revere Ware stainless steel copper bottomed skillet (chinese) that I use all the time.   It is perfectly flat and works great on the crappy glass top stove that came with my house.  

I just got off the phone with All-Clad.  They are sending a shipping label to return it and try a third one (first return was with the retailer)...   I am not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Triple ply for life.

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Overpriced to say the least... same goes for Le Creuset.

My wife has one All Clad tri-ply skillet she picked up at an estate sale. it does a decent job, but not good enough to justify the purchase of another All Clad pan.

Most of her cookware is Tramontina; it does a good job according to her.

Her favorite, and mine, is the OXO 12" Non-Stick Skillet. This skillet was $39 and it refuses to let food stick and cooks food evenly.      

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#50]
My 20+ year old stuff has been great.
I also have 40+ hear old Farberware that has held up very well, the stainless with copper insert in the bottom.
I think that I bought them at Caldor's in the 70's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top