Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2001 12:05:26 PM EDT
I am new to this board so if this has been discussed before be patient. Do you folks keep your favorite AR in the carrying case, under the bed, in the closet or in a safe where it would do ya no good in the time of need?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
In a safe where it would do me no good.  I keep a pistol readily available, don't really expect to have fifteen or more people break in at the same time.  If you feel you need that much firepower, what you really need is better training.  Also, leaving an AR under your bed makes it a lot easier for someone to steal it.  Put your AR somewhere safe and get one of those quick access pistol safes, the kind you can open even when it's dark.  This allows fast aquisition and security against theft, and also keeps it out of the hands of any kids you may have around.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be new, but your question is valid. No question is ever stupid. Personally, I have an ar in my truck, one in the big tractor,one in the barn and one in the house. Oh,by the way,I live on a ranch. Coyotes, bobcats and dog-eatin chickens are easily put away. and then there was the mountain lion.....another story. But anyway, welcome to the best web board there is!!!.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just carry mine everywhere i go.  People in my office look at me funny, but i don't care.  If i have to leave it in my cubicle i just cover it up w/ my body armor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All of my ARs reside in the vault in the basement. My wife and I keep our handguns in a Gun Locker ([url]www.gunlocker.com/[/url]) inwall vault in our bedroom. They also offer a Rifle Locker ([url]http://www.gunlocker.com/rlocker.htm[/url]) that I see myself upgrading to one day so the wife can keep her shotgun and I one of my AR carbines available for quick and easy access yet secure from the little ones.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep all my guns including my AR's in the safe (my 2 safe are in a closet with 2 separate alarm system).  I only keep my carry pistol out on the night stand at night and a double barrel 12g in the the corner of the closet.  Everything else is secured.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
markm...you take off your body armor in your cube?  Whoa, risky, man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
[size=3]I try not to leave anything cased - you trap moisture in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Active duty Navy, so I keep all my weapons (including my AR) in a climate controled storage unit.

I could keep `em in the ship's armory, but I don't want those GM's grubby hands on my equiptment. Plus all the hastle of checking it in and out for shooting.

I gotta get me a house soon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Pigshooter,I bet that one of them chickens will make a hell of a lot of chicken and dumplins........
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep one mounted on the hood of my daily driver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I use my safe.
I do not store anything in a case because they hold the moisture against the gun. I've seen a lot of guns come in to the shop for reblues from this.
Do not store a firearm under a waterbed. The chemicals in the liner and the algicide will leach out and rust the heck out of anything underneath. Saw a woman come in in tears with a rusty Weatherby Lazermark. Her husband told her to leave it on the wall while he was overseas and she wrapped it in a sheet and stuck it under the waterbed. We got it reblued before he returned.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
unless its your only gun I really dont understand why people feel the need to sleep with or next to their AR. Pistol or shotgun is a much better choice for home defence.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Make a base out of yellow pine and put a big lamp shade on it. Might work, unless they like the lamp. HE HAW
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry my M16 back and forth to work with me every day. That way I can go and play after work. Sometimes I don't use a case to carry it in. Just sling it and then throw up on the dash.
Damn my neighbors sure are friendly to me lately.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My AR-15 is my favorite weapon:)
My AR-15/M4 was once put away in a case.But now it stands upright,between my bed and shelf,which are almost pressed against eachother.Almost a foot in between.It's currently leaning upright against the shelf.I can reach it from bed,and it can be armed in 1 1/2 seconds.It's one FINE weapon!!!
with those nice M4 handguards,so big and round:)
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[size=3]I try not to leave anything cased - you trap moisture in.
View Quote

Not if you use desi packs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's currently leaning upright against the shelf.I can reach it from bed,and it can be armed in 1 1/2 seconds.It's one FINE weapon!!!
with those nice M4 handguards,so big and round:)
View Quote

Your foil hat is on too tight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Handgun within arms-reach and an AR in a closet (in an unzipped discreet case) ready to come out and play if needed.

"You will never know how much it cost to preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it." - John Quincy Adams
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Handguns are for covering your butt until you can get to the long gun.

For security I keep the 1911 and a .357 in the night stand. The AR is available, SKS too. The Rem. 870 is behind the seat of the truck.

No break-ins in this neighborhood in 75 yrs. Not a high crime area. No kids in the house so I don't worry about gun security issues.

Generally, there's someone in the house, and/or the neighbors know that we're not home and keep an eye out. Good neighbors are your best defense against everything!
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Try www.hiddendoors.com
DT
[8D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How bout THAT Boomer - I admitted I like pumps, & didn't even say they're for control freaks.]
View Quote

??????

Umm, like where did that come from? Did I argue with you in a past life or something? Just for the record, all three shotguns in my vault happen to be pumps. Two Remington 870s and a Mossberg M590. I've personally never seen the need for a semi-auto shotgun. So there. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#25]
We rest in shifts, the wife and I. depending on the threat we're usually in mopp level 4, body armor on, K pot on (no chin strap like john wayne). One of us on patrol in the yard while the other cat naps behind the 60 in our little sand bagged position in the livingroom (covering the most likely avenue of approach, the front door). We give the kids a break and let them snooze in the bunker with the overhead cover only on the condition that they can get off a minimum of two HEAT/AP carl gustav rounds and a preplanned call for fire/Illum within the alloted 30 second sleep to action complete time.

the mall ninjas are everywhere
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#27]
It's early chow recruit

and I handle all of the anti air stuff due to my secret training involvong the employment of the folding etool as an effective anti air weapon

in another post I shall reveal the secret mission that me and my fellow potshack commandos took part in to cripple the Iraqi war machine paving the way for the allied victory
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I have to agree with most of the guys here.

Keep your handgun nearby, store the longguns in a safe.

I keep my HK USP45 compact w/ UTL in the bedroom. My  HK USP45 Tactical w/ UTL stays in my office (my office is really a guest cottage). I keep 2 mage per handgun. Longguns stay in my new Browning safe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine are in the safe unless I'm home.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Always store your AR within arms reach either in condition 2 or if you prefer, condition 1. Unless you load your shotguns with slugs or your handguns with ap, they will be useless against level IIIa body armor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Exactly embro thats why there is an AT-4 within arms reach at every turn
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Early Chow Recruit:
and I handle all of the anti air stuff due to my secret training involvong the employment of the folding etool as an effective anti air weapon
View Quote

dude you're not even supposed to reveal that much, go read your texts again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 2:54:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Achtung!
after reading this post you will have to swallow the tiny ball of lint that has accumulated around the wheel of your rolly chair.......

It all started in 1988, I was part of an elite group, a member of the few of the few of the few (and one of the few tall enough to ride this ride). After enlisting in the worlds most elite force the USMC (U Suckers Missed Christmas, U Signed the Motherfucking Contract Etc.) I was imediately noticed by the other elite, because of my unique skills I stood out from all of the other recruits. It seemed like almost from day one the instructors singled me out for special training in a strange tactical arena.......the potshack it was here I learned the crucial skills the art of grabass, the art of skating and mostly how hot water and a scrubber could remove almost anything from any surface. As my career progressed my special skills were notice by every one of my peers and I was chosen to return to this special operations valhalla for more and more intense training again and again, obviously this was no place for the weak. Then on that fateful night in August 1990 me and my fellow potshack warriors were picked for a very special mission in a far away land. Due to our relaxed grooming standards there was no preperations needed so we boarded the C-172 heavy for our 98 hour nonstop to Baghdad ! Once in baghdad we turned to on our countries most nefarious and hazardous plan since the invasion of A beach. We began to infiltrate the Iraqi infrastructure as most innocent immagrents do as what appeared to be lowly dishwashers (alas they had swallowed the bait) For weeks we performed our mission until H hour when all hell broke loose. You see we had been neglecting the washing duties and instructing our newfound friends in the more subtle skills of the potshack mainly how to gaff shit off. Before the enemey knew it there wasn't a clean useable utensile in sight ! The Iraqi leaderships back was against the wall ! They were forced into their only option...mass exodus into their tiny (but clean) neighbor Kuwait. The rest is history. So next time you see an ate up recruit who dosn't know right from left, salutes enlisted personnel, still can't perform the 16 count manual of arms and thinks the first general order starts out with "sir this recruit don't know" rejoice for you are in the presence of an elite fighting man ! The few, The proud, The potshack warriors ! ooooooooorrrraaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

fuck, i gotta go, FSGT is screaming about more special training
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#36]
[0j]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, If they get past the electrified fence, I'm sure I'll spot them on the CCTV. Since I keep the remote control to the command detonated mines rubber-banded to my wrist, it's just a question of waiting till they step into the right area. If they jam the detonation signal the bouncing betty's on the final outer perimiter should get them.

I have a bucket of toe poppers that can be deployed inside a doorway if it looks like the inner perimeter will be penetrated.........

Can't tell you what happens once they get inside but the deffense is built around a 10/22 and a .38 snubbie
[:)] [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Whatever you do, don't find yourself in a place where you are stuck stationed overseas while all your toys (AR-15's, FN-FALs, etc) rest in a gun safe ( hopefully not rusting ). This is NOT the ideal method of storing your AR - across the ocean with no immediate access.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#40]
What AR's?????

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I love peace and love and being taken advantage of.

Besides, it is society's responsibility to protect me and my family, isn't it?!!!!!!  :-)

Uncle Al
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Smitty-Cal, don't remind me. It becomes an all day evolution just to go shooting. And then another day to clean them all. On top of it all, I'm on three section duty; so you know what I do on my freetime. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#43]
ECR,

Really funny!

thanks for the tea on my keyboard which happened to come out of my nose. Now this is what I call a sticky keyboard.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#44]
[bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top