Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/13/2021 8:54:09 PM EDT
I post this to help others, specifically those under 35, really under 30.  I’m sure I’ll get reamed about bragging but here goes 30 years of lessons learned and mistakes I made.

Invest early!  At least 15%. That first real job?  15% goes to investing every paycheck. Be it tax deferred, 401k, be it Roth, be it taxable. Pay yourself first.

When young be aggressive in investing, time minimizes your risk. When I was young I was too conservative, scared of loss, scared of risk. Having 50k in an account when you’re young is a lot of money. Don’t be scared of risk. You’re already paying yourself first. That right there was my biggest mistake…too conservative when young.

As your career advances, bump up the investing. You’re still in growth mode. I’m 50, I’m still in growth mode.

Cashflow. Just because you have more cash coming in doesn’t mean you can spend more. It only means you can save more.

Debt. Debt on an appreciating asset that outpaces inflation long term is good. Debt on depreciating asset bad, you’re getting burned on both ends. Lease depreciating assets (see cashflow)

Dollar cost averaging. Don’t try to time market. Just keep plowing money at regular intervals, you don’t care about price/timing, just keep buying.

Finally, don’t be scared of risk when young and pay yourself first.  The goal is net worth so that your money prints money for you.

When you get a decent egg going then you can worry about taxes, hire a pro. Hopefully before 35.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Bragger
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll defend Spidey. When a guy risks all his money to make money. And his risk pays off. He has a right to brag. And own a live tiger in his backyard.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bragger
View Quote

Lol…I still have to work.  Do as I say and you’ll retire way early.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy amc and ethereum
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy gold
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a piggy bank 1/2 full.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
One sick puppy!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy gold
View Quote

Lol

DCA into Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy amc and ethereum
View Quote

Hell yeah Ape! Also buy Bitcoin and GME
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Excellent advice.
Those are the rules that allowed me to retire at age 56 without a six figure income.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy gold
Lol

This is another viable option that many of us didn’t have 20+ years ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I knew this wasn’t a good idea to post. But my dumbass did it anyway.

But seriously what I posted was basic shit. Nothing special. Wish I woulda saved/invested more when I was younger and not been so scared of risk/loss.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
buy bitcoin
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Solid info.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget the index funds.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll defend Spidey. When a guy risks all his money to make money. And his risk pays off. He has a right to brag. And own a live tiger in his backyard.
View Quote

Tiger King is that you?

...oh wait.... (I am sure his new home has welcomed him with all the husbands he can afford now though)
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Spidy's exactly right...no one gets rich working for a living..trust me
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I knew this wasn’t a good idea to post. But my dumbass did it anyway.

But seriously what I posted was basic shit. Nothing special. Wish I woulda saved/invested more when I was younger and not been so scared of risk/loss.
View Quote

I got serious about it late as well, I have been trying to make up for it but overall you can't make up lost time.  Also was not aware of the HSA option to save more from being taxed..
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#19]
1. Doge to the moon.
2. Hookers--everyone says coke and hookers. This is false.
3. Coke. Hookers like coke.
5. Machine guns.
8. Profit?

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Im dead ass serious when I say this. Spidey is always bullish on the market and hes right, historically. I would go into BTC and Ethereum 50% right now, the dollar is dead and no matter how many you have they are printing them out of existence, its disgusting and I hate it. My 401k is well funded but my diversity is into crypto and silver because there is no way the US dollar survives another 10, 20, 50 years with the crackheads throwing 3.5 Trillion away indiscriminately at their behest. Math is math and they are robbing the treasury right in front of us. Please diversify.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Was with you until you said to hire a pro. Unless you have millions you don't need to hire anyone
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Ignore risk at your own peril.

Kids, just remember, the stock market is the best place to put your money for long term growth but be responsible about taking risk.

Paying off debt is the responsible way to take risk.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#23]
All in on HOOD calls
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bragger
View Quote

nothing bragging at all.

from what I've seen too many people are not interested, make excuses or too conservative to max their retirement.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Start a business so you’re not busting ass making someone else rich. Start when your young. Your not missing nights out drinking when you can retire in your 40s.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Listen to Spidey on investing, not so much on Fantasy Football!!!

J/K
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Spidey is a fucking permabull and people would be wise to listen. He got my ass in gear to start investing wisely.

People, especially young people, need to start taking control of their financial life. I partially blame the school system. There should be some sort of investing or money management class taught in high school, or college. There are guys at my work who are pushing 40 that don't have some sort of retirement account. Simply because the fact they don't understand how it works, the rules, etc.

If I had invested the money I spent on fast cars, motorcycles, and other material stupid shit when I was in my 20s, I'd be Bill gates rich right now. I wish someone taught me about the stock market when I was younger. From 2008-2016 I had a good amount of money sitting in a "high yield" savings account doing Nothing as I was waiting to buy a house one day. If I had just stuck that money into a mutual fund for those years I'd be so much more comfortable than I am right now. I used that money as a down payment on a house that we have already outgrown and doesn't fit our needs anymore.  But if I had just invested that money wisely for those years I'd have a bigger down payment for a nicer house. I guess I can't complain. But if I had known to use that money in stock market life would be alot better right now. Now that I have kids I cannot wait to teach them about the things I screwed up on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Start you kids early, my 13 year old has her own brokerage account that I put her allowance in to each month.  She spends some doing teen shit and invests the rest in companies she likes after doing her own research and is discussing.

As soon as she has her first real paying part time job it will all go into a Roth IRA and I’ll up her allowance to cover the paycheck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Spidey is a fucking permabull and people would be wise to listen. He got my ass in gear to start investing wisely.

People, especially young people, need to start taking control of their financial life. I partially blame the school system. There should be some sort of investing or money management class taught in high school, or college. There are guys at my work who are pushing 40 that don't have some sort of retirement account.

If I had invested the money I spent on fast cars, motorcycles, and other material stupid shit when I was in my 20s, I'd be Bill gates rich right now. I wish someone taught me about the stock market when I was younger. From 2008-2016 I had a stupid amount of money sitting in a "high yield" savings account doing NOTHING. If I had just stuck that money into a mutual fund for those years I'd be so much more comfortable than I am right now. I used that money as a down payment on a house that we have already outgrown and doesn't fit our needs anymore. I guess I can't complain. But if I had known to use that money in stock market life would be alot better right now. Now that I have kids I cannot wait to teach them about the things I screwed up on.
View Quote
Absolutely zero was taught in my public school system about personal finance (2010 grad), but sure, make me take an art class.  It's a disgrace.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#30]
My 20 year old son started putting 15% into his 401k through Target.  He only works summers and winter break when he's not in college but he's learning fast. He also made $2k this year on DOGE.  I told him to take his initial investment and keep having fun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I post this to help others, specifically those under 35, really under 30.  I’m sure I’ll get reamed about bragging but here goes 30 years of lessons learned and mistakes I made.

Invest early!  At least 15%. That first real job?  15% goes to investing every paycheck. Be it tax deferred, 401k, be it Roth, be it taxable. Pay yourself first.

When young be aggressive in investing, time minimizes your risk. When I was young I was too conservative, scared of loss, scared of risk. Having 50k in an account when you’re young is a lot of money. Don’t be scared of risk. You’re already paying yourself first. That right there was my biggest mistake…too conservative when young.

As your career advances, bump up the investing. You’re still in growth mode. I’m 50, I’m still in growth mode.

Cashflow. Just because you have more cash coming in doesn’t mean you can spend more. It only means you can save more.

Debt. Debt on an appreciating asset that outpaces inflation long term is good. Debt on depreciating asset bad, you’re getting burned on both ends. Lease depreciating assets (see cashflow)

Dollar cost averaging. Don’t try to time market. Just keep plowing money at regular intervals, you don’t care about price/timing, just keep buying.

Finally, don’t be scared of risk when young and pay yourself first.  The goal is net worth so that your money prints money for you.

When you get a decent egg going then you can worry about taxes, hire a pro. Hopefully before 35.
View Quote

Pro here. This is all great advice. Saving a lot and compounding investment returns is real.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Richest Man in Bablyon.  Embrace it.
What is the difference between money and currency?  If you understand, then you know where to go.

BTW, stock market is going up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Im dead ass serious when I say this. Spidey is always bullish on the market and hes right, historically. I would go into BTC and Ethereum 50% right now, the dollar is dead and no matter how many you have they are printing them out of existence, its disgusting and I hate it. My 401k is well funded but my diversity is into crypto and silver because there is no way the US dollar survives another 10, 20, 50 years with the crackheads throwing 3.5 Trillion away indiscriminately at their behest. Math is math and they are robbing the treasury right in front of us. Please diversify.
View Quote

Risk is risk. I also want a bit of crypto. 10% at most.

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I don’t get how people think the OP is bragging except if they are insecure in their own decisions and project that frustration on others who chose wisely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I started living like spidey (admittedly not because of him) at age 30. I’m now 35.

My life has changed. There is hope. I won’t be working at 55. Had I done what he’s saying at 22, I wouldn’t be working at 40

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Excellent advice.  Those are the rules that allowed me to retire at age 56 without a six figure income.
View Quote

Yes it works, I started at 26 years old and retired very comfortably at 54, I'm 67 now and really enjoying retirement.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I’m more comfortable with giving myself tax advice than spidey, but it’s solid stuff. Everyone should spend a few hours reading the bogleheads wiki and be skeptical of any advice given.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our nation has survived inflation before, it will now and in the future. The people who get burned by inflation are the poor and middle class who save money. The people who squirrel away money in the bank or worse under the mattress.

Gold and BTC have great potential but the easiest answer to fight inflation is the stock market. real estate is great if you don’t mind being a land lord. At the end of the day you want your wealth in physical, tangible, assets that produce or at least hold value.

They gov can’t just push a button and double the supply of physical gold, houses, beach front property, rare art, etc...
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think I’m more comfortable with giving myself tax advice than spidey, but it’s solid stuff. Everyone should spend a few hours reading the bogleheads wiki and be skeptical of any advice given.
View Quote

Yup, bogleheads is where i frequent. In 5 years I’ve went from a net worth of about 0 to about 750k. No I’m not bragging, I’m trying to inspire. That’s on a modest, dual income salary couple with young kids.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I started living like spidey (admittedly not because of him) at age 30. I’m now 35.

My life has changed. There is hope. I won’t be working at 55. Had I done what he’s saying at 22, I wouldn’t be working at 40

View Quote

I wouldn't give up how I lived 22 for anything.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like a retarded version of Dave Ramsey’s books. That being said, I do appreciate the sentiment. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sounds like a retarded version of Dave Ramsey’s books. That being said, I do appreciate the sentiment. Thank you.
View Quote

That's some sincere shit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm at point where I could cash out and live off my interest.  I'm 43.  However, the world is going to pot so fast that I don't have confidence enough in the system to do it.  I think having my business when all this mess bottoms out will be better than losing my nest egg that I put in the market.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Spidey we've talked a lot and I feel like I should know this. Did you attend college? Reason I ask is because I spent what, $200000+ on a liberal arts degree not counting interest. I'm making not even six figures 14 years later.

I should of done a trade and not spent as much for college
Hell there are literally high school grads out here mowing postage stamp sized 10,000sqft  lawns at $45 a piece. You don't need a top of the line truck, trailer, or equipment for that. You do 10 lawns a day mon-fri, not including fall cleanups, that's a nice chunk o' change per year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Was with you until you said to hire a pro. Unless you have millions you don't need to hire anyone
View Quote

Bull fucking shit!  Bull fucking shit!  Bull…shit.

Taxes. Tax planning and wealth management are a thing. At least on the tax planning side.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Listen to Spidey on investing, not so much on Fantasy Football!!!

J/K
View Quote

Randy Marsh - “ha ha!  Hey!  Fuck you!”
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I do a $100 savings bond each year, I’m set.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#49]
This country's children are being taught that they have to go to college, get a job, work until 64 and then live on a pension/small retirement account/social security. FIRE is literally something they have never heard of, even as a concept. Retire early? What for? Building net worth? Why should I, my bills get paid. I'll work as a mechanic until I'm 70, right?

Teach your kids that they don't have to work themselves to the bone. Make your money work for you, not against you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Great advice OP
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top