Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/28/2021 10:49:05 AM EDT
Seems like as far back as I can remember,  weightlifting is an event the U.S.  has never been competitive in.  

If that chick from the Philippines that trained lifting 5 gallon water jugs can win gold, you would think with as many lifters as we have in this country,  we would at least take 1 or 2 medals each olympics.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Ours don't use drugs
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
PEDs
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
hard to find a guy at that level that  doesnt juice ?  
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

Oh wait, you were serious?

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Icelanders seem genetically predisposed to having their top strongmen be the best in the world.

Kinda like how Kenyans win the long distance races.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]
We have many weight lifters. Not so many Weightlifters.

Our drug programs are not competitive with the State-sponsored ones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
The real reason is that there is no money behind it
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember reading about the eastern block lifters and how their "step loading" regimen was superior to our "80%, sets of 5" style of weight training.  It's pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Icelanders seem genetically predisposed to having their top strongmen be the best in the world.

View Quote

For sure. At least that's natural though.

Kenya has silly long distance genes.
Iceland has super bro strength genes.

China gets the best divers by the CCP taking them at 3yo and making them dive 18hrs a day or their family will be starved.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

it's really this simple.

ETA: to the guys who are obviously not golfers - this is Olympic lifting, not body building or un-tested powerlifting.  There is no federation for competing in oly lifts that is untested in the US
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]
There are a lot of countries that don’t have heavily enforced anti-doping programs. I’m not saying that there aren’t also US athletes using steroids, there are plenty, but many other countries don’t even bother to check so you can use steroids right up until the week before you compete.

Also, no matter how good you are at something, there’s an Asian somewhere who is better at it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember reading about the eastern block lifters and how their "step loading" regimen was superior to our "80%, sets of 5" style of weight training.  It's pretty interesting.
View Quote

This.
One of my sons has been a competative lifter since 14, now moving into Stronkman comps.

He says Eastern Europeans have a genetic advantage, something to.with fast vs slow twitch, etc

I say it's because theirs is a cold, bleak existence and there's nothing else to do.but PU heavy shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And there it is.

Fuck the Olympics. It’s as bad as NCAA sports. Athletes can’t be paid, GTFOH with that. School spirit? National pride? Screw you, pay me. It’s beyond a full time job commitment in both cases assuming you are genetically at the top and have devoted your entire life to that goal. And the Olympics brings in serious money, just not for the athletes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Because it’s almost harvest session and the farmers need to be on their land, not in a far off 2nd tier country.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Powerlifting is not an olympic sport, neither is Strongman.  Olympic lifting is not as popular here as it is elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Powerlifting is not an olympic sport, neither is Strongman.  Olympic lifting is not as popular here as it is elsewhere.
View Quote

It's more technique than brute strength.

LOL, we need another Kaz!!!

Bill Kazmaier | World's Strongest Man
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

China gets the best divers by the CCP taking them at 3yo and making them dive 18hrs a day or their family will be starved.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The Chinese men lifters looked sauced to the eyeballs.  Totally different physiques than Indonesia, Colombia, Saudi Arabia, etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

it's really this simple.

ETA: to the guys who are obviously not golfers - this is Olympic lifting, not body building or un-tested powerlifting.  There is no federation for competing in oly lifts that is untested in the US
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs

it's really this simple.

I think that’s a lot of it. If you want to compete here you either have to do it natty, or mostly natty and be good at coming up clean for tests. In a lot of other places nobody gives a shit. You only have to test clean for the olympics. It’s not hard to test clean for the olympics, despite many Olympian’s fucking it up anyway, and even then they’d have a significant amount of additional gained muscle and strength from their non-natural accumulated time before their Olympic runup. More than enough to make them above and beyond what someone natty would have been able to accumulate.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And there it is.

Fuck the Olympics. It’s as bad as NCAA sports. Athletes can’t be paid, GTFOH with that. School spirit? National pride? Screw you, pay me. It’s beyond a full time job commitment in both cases assuming you are genetically at the top and have devoted your entire life to that goal. And the Olympics brings in serious money, just not for the athletes.
View Quote

They can now be paid for their Name and Image.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They produce some bad ass divers that way, though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except recently.

And Hafthor is an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

lmao
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

it's really this simple.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs

it's really this simple.

and tests are super easy to defeat
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They can now be paid for their Name and Image.
View Quote

That’s a new one on me (but I’ve been out of the country and don’t really follow the news that closely)

Can a college pay benefits to the particular high value athlete? Or is it just an NCAA TM stuff, like merchandise and video games?

Like if a top pick can’t decide between Alabama or Oklahoma, but Alabama says they’ll give him $100,000 or buy him a new car, that’s still illegal. Seem to remember a particular coach who got in trouble for that kind of thing a while back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Ma Strength

This is the one of the only Instagram accounts I follow, as well as squat university.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Chinese men lifters looked sauced to the eyeballs.  Totally different physiques than Indonesia, Colombia, Saudi Arabia, etc.
View Quote

Genetic engineering.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs

it's really this simple.

It’s not hard for someone with half a brain. That they regularly get busted anyway blows my mind.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I think it's as simple as the fact that other countries start weightlifting training as children. Nothing more, nothing less. State sponsored camps go a long way, not to mention state sponsored doping programs. American lifters get an early start if they're 14-17. By that point these kids have already been lifting for 10 years.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1076586/the-chinese-system-how-china-left-europe-in-its-wake-to-become-a-weightlifting-superpower
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jokes on them diving is dumb
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs

it's really this simple.

sure, one or twice maybe - like the olympics.  But not every other competition of your entire career.  Sorry.  In the US, the Oly lifting scene is generally natural BECAUSE everything is fucking tested.  You do two comps a year and you barely have time to get a cycle in between.  Just the way it is and therefore most all are not using gear.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Before crossfit almost no one in the US did oly lifts.

And we don't have state sponsored drugs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

sure, one or twice maybe - like the olympics.  But not every other competition of your entire career.  Sorry.  In the US, the Oly lifting scene is generally natural BECAUSE everything is fucking tested.  You do two comps a year and you barely have time to get a cycle in between.  Just the way it is and therefore most all are not using gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs

it's really this simple.

Incorrect. If you know when the comp is and you're smart about the type of gear you take you only need from 3-4 days to a couple weeks to piss clean. Most weightlifters aren't going to do more than 2-3....(maybe 4 on the outside) comps a year anyway.

I'm not saying they're all juicing, but if you think it's not easy to defeat the tests and you're claiming that none are juicing because of the tests then you are misinformed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Drugs certainly play a role.  The movie Icarus is pretty good in showing just how widespread the Russian doping program went, even for olympic curlers!

Money is also huge.  I do know that Germany basically "enlists" their weightlifters in the army, and their job is to train.  Other eastern bloc countries also basically pay their weightlifters a salary along with the dedicated training camps with catering, physiotherapists, saunas, etc.  

@fit definitely raised the interest level of weightlifting, and there is talent out there, just no cash to sustain a program to pump out a stable of internationally competitive lifters.  IMHO
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Wes Kitts is pretty top tier. But we don’t do well because we don’t have the state sponsored doping programs other countries do. I wouldn’t put it past the Chinese to try and breed people to be good at certain sports and definitely wouldn’t put it past them to try and use Crispr tech to make genetically enhanced athletes in the future.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

Bro do you even lift bruuuh. Want some juice brruaaaah?

For those of you who don't lift you don't simply train 7 days a week for a couple years and throw up a 250 snatch and 500 clean and jerk
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol this is actually a really good point.  At first I wanted to disagree but then I was like "oh yeah, I really didn't see any oly comps 20 years ago, only powerlifting" - I know, anecdotal, but one I'm inclined to think is true
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Bad knees.  Hard to kneel as much as they have to with bad knees.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, say what you will about CF but it's increased the interest in WL and a few other sports exponentially.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.

Athletes of that caliber have way more and better opportunities in other sports in the US.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd imagine that a lot of the elite strength talent in the US gets funneled into organizations like the NFL, where they can earn millions and millions with their abilities, rather than focusing on competitive Oly lifting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#44]
All of them are spending time becoming girls so they can win with less work.

It takes a few years for the hormones to work you know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Genetics is a thing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I think we should stop the charade and just let everyone use a fuck ton of drugs in all competition.

Let's see how far we can push human abilities with drugs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Because the US Anti Doping Agency actually does their job. It’s far from impossible to beat the tests, but look at how so many UFC athlete physiques absolutely melted when they brought in USADA to do their testing.
Meanwhile, China/Russia/etc has state sponsored doping programs to pump their athletes full of juice before and even during Olympic competition.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think we should stop the charade and just let everyone use a fuck ton of drugs in all competition.

View Quote

Naturally occurring hormones are not drugs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

hellyeahbrother.gif

I was chatting with a buddy a couple years ago talking about this. He said "do you want to watch a clean competition or not?!?" I said "I don't give a fuck if it's a clean competition, if I want to watch a mediocre lifter I can video myself, I want to see a roided up beast snatch a house"

Fuck it, most are already doping anyway. Who cares as long as it's an even playing field.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top