Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2021 9:53:42 PM EDT
Found info for a registered brand for my grandfather's farm in Colorado dated 1931 is there any way to find address of farm associated with the brand registration?  I have been trying to find info on old family farm.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
https://ag.colorado.gov/brands
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Old deed records from Adams county is about the only way.    Brands were tied to the name and land,etc.  Not the other way around.  Address' etc. easily shifted around.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
In Texas, the county keeps brand registration books.  The pages I photographed from my county's book have mailing addresses - but good luck getting those translated into modern street address.  Most are either PO boxes or box numbers on the mail route.  At best, you might get a road number, but then you are back to a box number on that road.  Rural street addresses really did not become a thing until the 991 mandates - and that was probably in the 1990's.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you read that brand?

Seven H Bar?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The current brand book for Colorado only includes brands with up to date assessment and taxes.
View Quote
Well thats unfortunate, I had hoped there would some sort of master historical record.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Brands are not explicitly tied to locations (beyond a mailing address) since then and now a rancher may have cattle in multiple locations, which may change depending on season or other factors.

You're going to have much better luck working through the county via deeds or plat maps.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seven H Bar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Seven H Bar?

I always wondered about the naming conventions.
Bar this, Circle that...

This post caused me to do a bit of googling...

"Brands are read from left to right, from the top down or from the outside to the inside. If a letter or symbol is made backwards from its normal position, it's read as a reverse. A letter partially over on its face or back is said to be tumbling. If a letter lies horizontally on its face or back, it is called lazy."

"The "Bar" in a ranch name, most often indicates that they have registered quarter horses with bloodlines tracing back to the legendary stallion named Three Bars."
Always gotta get the Peta Types in there.
Animal welfare concerns

Both hot and freeze branding produces thermal injury to the skin, but hot-iron branding creates more inflammation and pain than does freeze branding. Although alternative methods of identification such as ear tags are suggested, the practice is still common worldwide.
Good lawd there is a lot to Brands and reading them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Old deed records from Adams county is about the only way.    Brands were tied to the name and land,etc.  Not the other way around.  Address' etc. easily shifted around.
View Quote

Seems to me to be a fairly daunting task to show up with just a name and a general year to find a name on a deed for property.  But would be worth a shot just for entertainment value.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
fwiw, the - is pretty common on cattle ranches around me and has nothing to do with horses.  My brands are rafter C, rafter C bar, and U bar.  I also have 4 other brands on cattle that I have purchased running around.  I really need to get out my log book and recall what they are.  My neightbor Jim called me this morning, missing a cow.  I saw a J - which may or may not be his (looks like it is probably not - I have purchased from them before, just did not think I had any of their cows (about 4 ranches sell at their auction), but I guess I have one.

My branding irons were stolen at some point over the years - wife wants me to replace them, so guess that is on the to do list.  Replace and get the vet to nitrogen brand my cows for easier ID (I have angus, nitrogen will leave a white brand on a black cow - damn easy to read).
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]
@AeroE
@GrantS
Found an old newspaper clipping that I think describes farms location, is the description here still how I could determine the location via county maps?

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

The land described as the eastern half of the square labeled 18
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those coordinates are still valid and in use today. Many map apps will let you search by range, township, section.
View Quote

I just paid the dues for a brand my grandpa hadn’t kept current. Hit me up OP, I think my mom just bought a new brand book a month ago.
Edit: if you call the Department of Ag they may be able to help you too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97614/5BD87A29-85EA-4653-B421-E6E1A3FCD872_jpe-2062672.JPG
View Quote
Any particular map product you used to pull that up?
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97614/5BD87A29-85EA-4653-B421-E6E1A3FCD872_jpe-2062672.JPG

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=019dd6f39fda4d3b811abfab0878b63b
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Based on your image and the way that description reads, I'm not sure how much of the right hand side of section 18 that 320 acres would be it is all houses now for the most part.

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]
That half of the section would be 320 acres
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]
The entire eastern half of 18 is 320 acres. 18 is the section. The section is 640 acres. Therefore as listed in the description, the land described is the eastern half of section 18 which would be 320 acres. It’s the red area that you and I both outlined, you more accurately, on the map.  It would appear that they’re already houses being built on the southern part of that half with more houses being built in the middle. I don’t know how old that image is so very possible that the entire thing is house is now, or at least the lower 2/3’s of that 320 acres
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info and assist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Found it via newspaper clipping of root reason hey left the farm, sad they lost the farm that way, but typical of the times.

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seems to me to be a fairly daunting task to show up with just a name and a general year to find a name on a deed for property.  But would be worth a shot just for entertainment value.
View Quote

The Grantor Grantee index is for just this purpose, to reference a deed book/page from a date and the name of the person buying and the person selling a particular property.

The historical indexing system for land records in the US is byzantine and convoluted, but it worked in an age with no electronic data retrieval systems. Frankly, I find it amazing that it worked so well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty cool family history, OP.

Good luck in your search for even more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top