Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/20/2021 9:25:14 PM EDT
She’s 91 years old, survived cancer, but now her doctors are telling her she must have the COVID shot.
She made it all through the scaredemic without an issue, in El Paso Texas which was/is one of the biggest hot spots for the wuflu, but now they have scared her into getting it.
I’ve tried telling her about the side effects, how many people have suffered because of it, and that it evidently has no effect on the Delta variant.
She won’t hear it, between the doctors and MSM spewing their gospel, she’s adamant she now “needs” it.

I’m at a loss, and I really fear that this might kill her and there’s nothing I can do but hope she survives it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
At 91 she's already survived a lot of other things that could have killed her.

She has a legal right to refuse vaccinations.

Your move.  And hers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Covid would probably be more dangerous to your mom than the vaccine.

I'm young and healthy so I won't take it. If I was 91, I would. She's a grown woman. As long as she's competent, let her do what she feels comfortable doing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I mean... she's 91.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm young and healthy so I won't take it. If I was 91, I would. She's a grown woman. As long as she's competent, let her do what she feels comfortable doing.
View Quote

That’s where I’m at, I can just hope for the best, it is her life and choice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
She has a much higher chance of dying from covid than from the vaccine.

Holy shit, OP.

And yeah, I get it.  Totally her choice.  But be realistic about the options.  Don't feed her a load of bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I also hope the best for your mom. My grandma is 96 and she's been considering the vaccine, too. I don't know what the right decision is, but I hope it works out for them, either way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was my Mom, God rest her Soul.
I wouldn't have her get the shot.

Ask the Doctor how old the oldest patient is, who got the shot.

If they insist, get a different Doctor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
She’s 91 years old, survived cancer, but now her doctors are telling her she must have the COVID shot.
She made it all through the scaredemic without an issue, in El Paso Texas which was/is one of the biggest hot spots for the wuflu, but now they have scared her into getting it.
I’ve tried telling her about the side effects, how many people have suffered because of it, and that it evidently has no effect on the Delta variant.
She won’t hear it, between the doctors and MSM spewing their gospel, she’s adamant she now “needs” it.

I’m at a loss, and I really fear that this might kill her and there’s nothing I can do but hope she survives it.

View Quote

If she's 91 and has had cancer, her chances of dying from COVID are a hell of a lot higher than dying from getting the shot.  Around here, every nursing home resident has had the shot.  They're not dropping like flies.  On the other hand, mortality rate at >85yo is around 20% from getting COVID (actually 18.5% in my AO).  Nothing is risk free, but unless you're sure you can keep her from getting COVID, the shot is by far the less risky route.

Also, the shots do help with delta, just not as much.  Even if she gets delta, having had the shot, she's much more likely to have it mild, instead of severe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
At 91,  I'm betting your mother doesn't have much of a reaction at all to the vaccine.  From what I've seen, younger individuals and those with prior Covid infections, tend to have more severe reactions.

I just read a paper that said 96% of currently hospitalized Covid patients in the UK are unvaccinated, so there's that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Says you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I get what you’re feeling, but if my parents were still alive in their 90’s I’d be okay with the vaccine.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a good run!
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Says you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says you.

Says virtually every available shred of evidence.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Prep a document that states the doctor will take full responsibility for any injury incurred from a China virus shot.

No doctor will sign that thing and assume personal responsibility for their actions

That should tell everyone you all you need to know. And may open her eyes to the fact it could be dangerous to her to get the damn thing
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Says virtually every available shred of evidence.
View Quote
I disagree with your statement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm thinking that being 91 is going to kill her..... with or without covid, a vaccine, or 5g radiation.  People need to realize 80 is past expiration for the human species.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
She in the group that Covid impacts the most.  Vaccine would be a prudent move.  But come to a gun board full of anti-vaxxers to get the validation you're looking for, I guess...
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#18]
They are trying to prevent her from dying…

Hundreds of millions of people if not billions at this point have been vaccinated.  The vaccines appear to offer significantly “better than nothing” protection from delta.  

It really isn’t a big deal and not worth worrying about. It amazes me how worried people are about the Covid vaccines relative to lack of care regarding obesity, smoking, diabetes, heart disease, and other common killers that are largely preventable.

I got it because it makes international travel a lot easier which I do frequently for work. I died 0 times.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The vaccine still supposedly keeps 90+% of delta infections out of the hospital.  I won't get the shot, but if I were elderly I sure would.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Talk to her all you want, but it is her decision, respect that
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
gunslinger - look up the video of Dr. Simone Gold or Dr. Ryan Cole. The former cured her patients with HCQ and the latter with ivermectin.  The jab is an experimental RNA agent that is NOT a vaccine (look up the definition).
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't get the jab, but she's 91 years old. She's a survivor and if the big guy exists he must have her back. She's got this, op.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#23]
The majority of the Covid-19 patients in our care are unvaccinated. We are all Americans and should always be free to make our own decisions with our health. Good luck to you and your mom. Do what y’all feel is right for you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Prep a document that states the doctor will take full responsibility for any injury incurred from a China virus shot.

No doctor will sign that thing and assume personal responsibility for their actions

That should tell everyone you all you need to know. And may open her eyes to the fact it could be dangerous to her to get the damn thing
View Quote

So I should have prepped a document that states the surgeon will take full responsibility for any injury incurred from the septal myectomy I had in 2010?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Risk vs benefit

I’m jabbed…still here.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#27]
At 91 she’s a grown ass woman she can make her own decisions,,,,

God willing if I make it that far I’m fixing to be a pain in the ass to the people taking care of me lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Lot’s of people in a family member’s assisted living facility died from covid.  Then they gave everyone vaccine and everyone went back to normal and stopped dying , well from covid.  

There is data from Israel if the us data isn’t trustworthy to you.

You could ask them to do an antibody test to see if she already had it.  That age range is high risk.

I do see a difference between not taking it personally and not looking at the data critically and giving someone sound advice supported by stats.

Kinda like the fbi crime statistics show the real picture mortality data for 80+ with covid is stark.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#29]
As others have said, at 91 covid is a lot more potentially dangerous than the vaccine. But I would want her to get tested to see if she actually had covid antibodies first, from what little I've looked into it or heard, getting the vaccine when you've already had covid and have the antibodies isnt the greatest idea.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Covid actually did kill my mom during the first wave.  She did not have an option for a shot.  
Your mom is in her 90's.  Listen to the doctors, not the Internet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#31]
My 90 year old grandparents both had it with no complications at all

It isn’t a death sentence
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So I should have prepped a document that states the surgeon will take full responsibility for any injury incurred from the septal myectomy I had in 2010?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You probably wouldn’t have gotten your surgery though

No doctor will ever take full personal responsibility. Opens them up to get crushed and lose everything. Rather than their insurance company having to pay out to policy limits for injury

ETA. In life as a general rule. If someone won’t take full responsibility for their actions tell them to fuck off. Least that’s how I roll
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#33]
FWIW OP and I don't know if it will help or not but I know someone who is 88 and they got the two-shot vaccine from Pfizer.  They had no side effects at all, not even a sore arm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I disagree with your statement.
View Quote

And your medical qualifications are?
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Covid would probably be more dangerous to your mom than the vaccine.

View Quote

This.

If I was old I would take it. The benefits outweigh the risks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Holy shit, OP.

And yeah, I get it.  Totally her choice.  But be realistic about the options.  Don't feed her a load of bullshit.
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Question, which vaccine is the "safest"?
It seems the J&J has issues.
My healthy 91 year old mom got the shots and she is fine, loony as a bat, but she was like that beforehand.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
And the lady at the BMV is fully responsible for any moving violations you should incur while driving, after all she gave you the license.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Holy shit, OP.

View Quote

^This all day long ^
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm of the belief that nobody should tell me what to do, but also that I have no business pushing my opinion on others. Especially someone that old... That would be some serious regret if it didn't pan out the way you thought.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And your medical qualifications are?
View Quote
Sure, because the head doctor of all this, the most medically qualified one that advised the entire nation on television that it would all be over in weeks, turned out to be so knowing and truthful.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You probably wouldn’t have gotten your surgery though

No doctor will ever take full personal responsibility. Opens them up to get crushed and lose everything. Rather than their insurance company having to pay out to policy limits for injury

ETA. In life as a general rule. If someone won’t take full responsibility for their actions tell them to fuck off. Least that’s how I roll
View Quote

That is one of the most pants on head retarded things I've ever read on here.  Of course they won't.  Do you do that at your job?  JFC
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not pro covid vaccine (advised my 65 yr old healthy mother against it) but your mom checks all the boxes as a person who needs it more than any other group.

My 89 yr old grandma survived the illness but it was pre-vaccine times. Many, many others in her nursing home didn't fair so well.

Why do you think the vaccine will kill her?
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I mean... she's 91.
View Quote

This
Not to be insensitive
Even if she was 71...
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm 36 years old, and I'm not getting the shot. I have a pretty high chance of living another 36 years or more and the chances of unknown long term issues are greater. My 70 year old parents got it, and I don't blame them, my mom had some muscle soreness but that's it. Beyond 65, I believe people should get it if they want it. The risk of long term side effects in that age group is much lower and immediate side effects do exist but occurrence is still pretty low. Let her get it if she wants it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#47]
To me, it's a guaranteed exposure to a possibly dangerous injection vs a possible exposure to a dangerous virus. Both sides will spew their shit, but it comes down to that single sentence.

If my mom were in that position, I would tell her to hold off on the shot. That part of the fear cycle is over, so now a new "variant" has come out and of course everyone who has gotten the current vaccines will need to get the Delta too. This cycle will continue because fear sells and lets the gov make huge power grabs with little pushback.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#48]
OK, first of all, Climb Down.   Just take a Deep breath, Calm your emotions and force your brain to think logically.

1. She’s an adult.  It’s her choice.

2. Everything in life is a calculated risk.    Her risk from the vaccine is much lower than her risk from the virus.    Fwiw, my dad got the shots and had no ill effects.    

3.  Don’t fall for lies from the left, right or middle.   Force yourself to think objectively.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m in no rush to get the vaccine but I’m glad my parents did. It seems to hit older people much harder and it’s been 5 months since they got it and no troubles. Hopefully it stays that way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I understand your hesitancy, but it's her life.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top