Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2001 9:11:39 PM EDT
Im currently trying to enlist in the United States Air Force. my recruiter told me that i could not get a guarnteed position as a CATM or Combat arms as it is referred to now. if i become a SP in the AF how do i go about obtaining a Combat arms assignment?

If anyone has a link to a site that could provide more information than just the basic Air Force recruiter webpage, please post.

i'll probably be taking my physical in the next couple of weeks. still waiting for the go from my DD-214, they sure are taking their sweet time where-ever those records are processed.

waiting lib
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
....nobody knows my troubles....

[:)]lib
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I KNOW YOUR TROUBLES!

I just applied for a job at Petco as a dog groomer, but they said they couldn't get a guaranteed position as a groomer. They said assistant groomer maybe. Anyone know how I go about doing this?
[:E]
radioman
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You can beg once you get to your first assignment, But if theres no opening you'll be at the front gate ! If you wan't to be an armorer join the Army or Marines. From my personal exp with AF CATM, Half are complete morons the rest are gun nuts and can actually fix and shoot the guns they work on ! CATM used to be the equiv of being put in the tool crib because you were to dangerous to work on airplanes !
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think you have to worry because if your real name is libertarian they wont take you anyway.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You do not want to be a Sky Pig. For some reason, everybody in BMTS thought that this would be a really cool job. You will spend all day waving at cars at a gate, and everyone will hate you. As I recall from my service, one had to be in a particular AFSC for a period of time before "crosstraining".  I want to say 3 years. I crosstrained from 542X0 (Electrician) to 302X0 (Weather Equipment Maintenance). I think I got the numbers right. When I went to look into crosstraining, CATM was available, as was Survival School instructor, (Mmmmm, Spokane) and myriad less interesting jobs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, yeah, If you'ld like to e-mail me, I'll answer any questions I can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Libertarian, I've got 18+ years in as SP

Shoot me a e-mail [email protected] and I'll give you some info. I'm at work right now and don't have time to give you a lengthy reply.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Libertarian, I've got 18+ years in as SP

Shoot me a e-mail [email protected] and I'll give you some info. I'm at work right now and don't have time to give you a lengthy reply.
View Quote

An SP with no time? LOL
I just saw someone going 16 mph in base housing. Go Gettem
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Woooaaahaahaahaa!
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#11]
This sounds like typical recruiter bullshit.  There is no way in hell he can gaurantee that!  CATM used to be a seperate AFSC and boy were they pissed when they combined them with the SP's.  If you fall for this story, the closest that you'll get to being CATM for at least a few years is humping Buffs at Minot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This sounds like typical recruiter bullshit.  There is no way in hell he can gaurantee that!  CATM used to be a seperate AFSC and boy were they pissed when they combined them with the SP's.  If you fall for this story, the closest that you'll get to being CATM for at least a few years is humping Buffs at Minot.
View Quote

Hey smart ass the recruter is telling it straight. You can not enlist any more as CATM. You have to be a E-4 before you can re train into CATM.

After acheving the rank of E-4 you can put in the paperwork to re train. I've yet to see anybody turned down.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Zapata, and Shrike9  thanks. i'll send an E-mail when i get a chance.

yet to be an airmen lib
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't enlist anymore for para rescue? that's as combat as it get's for Air Force enlisted, aside from pilots and navigators. When I was in basic there was a ton of them running around carrying telephone poles. Great bunch of guys. The survival school job is not easy either. Those guys who dragged us around the woods of western washington in survival school were good. I'd trust them with my life. Of course, some of our group had to be led more than others. some quit the first night in the pow camp because they couldn't smoke. Candy  asses. Then there were the dumb asses majors who thought they knew how to lead when the locked up the colonel in the pokie..and all this was a game. Sad bunch of folks at times. Good lessons all though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top