Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 6:55:47 PM EDT
My fiance wants to register our wedding at a department store so we can recieve pre selected gifts from our wedding guests.

I personally think this is the tackiest fucking thing on the planet because we don't personally NEED anything to start our marriage with. We have everything on the planet and then some in my opinion.  My fiance has agreed that we really don't NEED anything but she thinks it would be nice to recieve pre selected gifts instead of getting stuff we don't want.

Wedding registries are a tradition that date way back because usually newlyweds were very young and had nothing to start with. Therefore the community would get together and buy them household goods. Now it is just a greedy fucking ritual developed and perpetuated by woman and department stores. IMHO of course
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  I'd rather give you something you want than waste my money on something you dont.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Not
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You are correct, other than your assumption that the practice dates from "way back".

However, you should not rock this boat. Never get between a woman and the gifts. You WILL get stuff you don't need if you don't do as she wishes, and it will be your fault.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Expecting gifts for your wedding is tacky.

Come to think of it, about 99% of the wedding process is tacky.

Other than consumating the affair, I can't think of much about it that isn't a woman's invention.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
We had the advantage of being stationed in Germany at the time. We went to her home in NH for the wedding and told everyone that we couldn't possibly take a bunch of gifts back on the plane with us and to just give us money. We made some serious bank for the relatively small size of the wedding. It mostly went toward our honeymoon to Sandal's St Lucia.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing tacky about it.

Just send them a Dillion Precision, MidSouth Shooter Supply, Brownell's catalog and leave a filled out notebook at your local gundealer.  

Are you two standardizing your guns and caliber?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No.  I'd rather give you something you want than waste my money on something you dont.

Ditto. It's common practice, and saves both the givers and receivers a lot of stress.

Do it, It's no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not a bad idea.  It helps those who prefer direction.  No one is forced to use it.  If someone feels forced to use the directory, then they have some deep psychological problems which are in no way the fault of the bride the the groom.

The only problem with weddings is that nearly half of the people getting married are spoiled, self-absorbed narsicists who think the possession of an OEM vagina entitles them to be pampered sociopaths.  On rare occassion, some fortunate guy marries a level headed female.  However, that is very rare.

I hope for your sake that your fiance' is the latter and not the former.

Mahatma
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing tacky about it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
My friends registered at a store that also sold tools and outdoor stuff so they receiver useful things instead of all the crystal and silverware we never use.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
That does it!

You are so totally getting the purple cow shaped gravy boat Mr!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Tacky??? I believe everybody who gets married creates a gift registry.  By the way, if you want to track your guests, gifts, etc., put up a wedding web site, and more check out www.theweddingtracker.com.  I know the guy who runs the company, he's a great guy and business is really taking off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually it makes life easier for those that care about you and want to come and share your wedding day with you.
You are about to drop a shit load of money on a wedding, 5k-100k+, people are going to be invited, and most of them will want to get you a gift or give you cash, or even both. make it easy for the ones that want to blow money on you and let 'em know what you want or need. Be creative don't just limit yourselves to macy's or fortunoff, etc. get stuff you really want, or have donations made to a good cause if you really do not want anything for yourselves!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I was listening to Dr. Laura yesterday and this topic came up, she said it was very tacky to register, it was like expecting a gift.

I guess the consensus here is it is ok, my fiance certainly agrees, so she agreed to register at Home Depot.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Tacky, very tacky.  I personally have never purchased anything for anybody from a registry.  It reminds me of Cartman when he delivers birthday invitations to all the Southpark kids and in the invites he tell each one to buy a certain colored Megaman for his collection.

Sorry but, give me cash and we will both be happy, or even better, just show up and have a couple of beers with me.  If you are at my wedding, we are friends.  If we are friends, we drink beer, not fuss over what fucking toaster or which fondu machine you need to buy me!!!  Fuck that shit
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I get cards for them I never have gotten anything off that, I normally give stuff I feel people "Need"
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they are tacky, but if you do must use a registy, choose things your sure you want.  A few days ago some bitch dropped off almost 20 items from her registy because she "changed her mind".  If these items where purchased normally from the store the paperwork would be easy....but nooo since it was from a registry it tacked on several more hours of work.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I consider it very tacky and refuse to participate in such things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top