Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2004 9:53:21 AM EDT
Last night a friend and I were talking and somhow we got on the topic of home invasions and mind set in such an encounter. I mentioned that I believe that there is only one possible mindset in that situation. Survive at all costs. To which he says yah so do I but if I die I die.

Than he starts telling me how if he was in that situation(home invasion) and he accidentily killed the person that he would feel terrible. My responce was a simple one, ain't no accident in that situation, you better be ready and willing to take a persons life in that situation, or you could be the one that ends up taking the dirt nap.

So I pointed out that that makes no sence at all. That it's not possible to have a mind set of surive/stay alive at all costs, and have the attitude of if I die so be it at the same time. That even having that little bit of, if somthing bad happens it happens, is enough to make it happen.

From there he just started going off the deepend and getting plato on me and shit .

I always thought that was one of the few things that just was. There is no going deeper about it. It just is. I guess I just see going into a potentialy deadly situation in any other frame of mind other than, if somone dies tonight it's not going to be me, is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe it's cuz I've BTDT and he hasn't.

I understand not being able to control the outcome of a situation, it is true you don't know what could happen. But that should not dictate ones mindset not in a life or death situation. I think if yer going to have that in yer head(whatever happens happens) yer setting yourself up for failure and that failure means that you may end up dead. Thats not an option in my playbook.

Am I wrong? Am I missing something? What do ya'll think?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#1]
ACtually, I find the attitude of "If I die so be it" gives me more streagth and allows me to focus better in those situations.

Why?  Because I now when I am in that situation what I am doing is worth dieing for, hence I am doing the right thing.

However, only twice was I ever in a life and death situation.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel the same way, I've had people on other forums tell me how bad I'd feel if I ever had to shoot and kill someone. I don't understand why I'd feel bad about defending my life and the lives of my family. Hell, it seem like common sence to kill someone that's trying to kill you and yours. Guess I'm just a murdering pig or something.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...To which he says yah so do I but if I die I die.

Than he starts telling me how if he was in that situation(home invasion) and he accidentily killed the person that he would feel terrible. ...

It's attitudes like this that make home invasion robberies seem like a profitable venue to some criminals.  

In a word, your friend sounds like a victim, a philisophiocal and really cool one at that, but at the end of the night - he is obviously comfortable with resigning his position in life to that of being someone else's piece of prey.  A criminal's play-thing if you will.  Like DF said, maybe he thinks it's too much work to even maintain himself at a minimum of Condition: Yellow?

The good news - it is possible to change.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
baaa[sheep]

why dont we have a sheep smiley\icon?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ACtually, I find the attitude of "If I die so be it" gives me more streagth and allows me to focus better in those situations.

Why?  Because I now when I am in that situation what I am doing is worth dieing for, hence I am doing the right thing.

However, only twice was I ever in a life and death situation.

Sgtar15

See I don't see how that works in a home ivasion type situation. I understand the idea of it but not how it works in this situation.

For the most part I have that what happens happens and you can't always do shit about it attitude, but when it comes to situations like a home invasion I don't think that attitude works.

For me it's I have to survive this because if I don't than my family or whoever I'm protecting doesn't either.

I can see being like ok fuck it whatever happens happens if I'm out running around on a battlefield. There is so much shit going on that you can't do anything about it if you or somone else gets hit. So why not take the risk and do whatever it is. But I also think thats a totaly different situation than somone coming into yer house uninvited, unwanted to steal and or do you harm.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#9]
"A man does what he can until his destiny is revielled."

Oh shit , I shouldn't have watched that damn movie again last night!

Anyway, karma is for turds.  

Tj

BTW, in the state of TN home invasion the act it's self is considered by law a threat on your life.  Shoot the bugger and talk later.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
another vote for pussy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
baaa[sheep]

why dont we have a sheep smiley\icon?

I told him he sounded like a damn sheep durring the coversation and boy did he get defensive about that
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Well Photoman, I think we are talking about the same thing.  In a home invasion I will do everything I need to so I survive, but more importantly I will do everything I need to so that my family survives, even if this means my own death.

My Family comes first and I will not let any fear of my own get in the way of that.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Im going with "Big Pussy"
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
WOOOO, now that's a BIG pussy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.dve.com/images/crazy_stuff/giantpussy.jpg

Im going with "Big Pussy"

That reminds me....I need a new, bigger rifle.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#18]
ever killed anyone?

i haven't.  and i don't think that unless you have been there and done that you can honestly say for certain how you will feel or react.

i can imagine scenarios such as shooting someone in the dark in the middle of the night in one's home and having it turn out that the intruder was merely a developmentally disabled or intoxicated person who just somehow stumbled in looking for the bathroom (granted this is a stretch since i lock my doors, keep a flashlight, and would expect to be able to identify and evaluate an intruder at some level rather than just shooting them).  in such a situation shit yeah i'd feel pretty terrible.  wouldn't you?

but if it's someone who appears intent on doing me or my family harm? as in you wake up and find someone in your house with a gun or knife?  no i can't imagine feeling anything other than concern for my family.  if someone attacks me unprovoked and gives me no recourse than to kill them they alone bear the responsibility for their actions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well Photoman, I think we are talking about the same thing.  In a home invasion I will do everything I need to so I survive, but more importantly I will do everything I need to so that my family survives, even if this means my own death.

My Family comes first and I will not let any fear of my own get in the way of that.

Sgtar15

I think yer right on this, I think we are thinking the same thing. just different ways.

DF durring both of the home invasions I've had the great displeasure of bing around for I had no time for fear, just reaction. There was no fear of death or being hurt or anything like that. The realisation of OMG I could have died didn't even occure till after everything was over with. But I think that had more to do with as you said being prepared for that type of situation.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ever killed anyone?

i haven't.  and i don't think that unless you have been there and done that you can honestly say for certain how you will feel or react.

i can imagine scenarios such as shooting someone in the dark in the middle of the night in one's home and having it turn out that the intruder was merely a developmentally disabled or intoxicated person who just somehow stumbled in looking for the bathroom (granted this is a stretch since i lock my doors, keep a flashlight, and would expect to be able to identify and evaluate an intruder at some level rather than just shooting them).  in such a situation shit yeah i'd feel pretty terrible.  wouldn't you?

but if it's someone who appears intent on doing me or my family harm? as in you wake up and find someone in your house with a gun or knife?  no i can't imagine feeling anything other than concern for my family.  if someone attacks me unprovoked and gives me no recourse than to kill them they alone bear the responsibility for their actions.

Never killed anyone, I hope to God I never have to, but I wouldn't think twice about it if given no ther choice. I have been shot(flesh wound) and around for three other shootings besides that one. I've been through two different home invasions. So yes I have been there done that with regards to being in a situation like that. This isn't about killing somone. This is about mindset in a potentially deadly situation where taking a life may be your only way out of the situation. I know exactly how I'd react, I know exactly how I'd feel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top