Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 5:18:10 PM EDT
Cons for living outside deed restrictions
===
Smaller lots then outside community
Have noise restrictions
Could have crappy looking home next door or neighbor could rent the house resulting in low class tenants

Pros
===
Less maintenance with smaller yard
Have noise restrictions
Neighbors house and yard must be maintained

Also, the resale value of the home may be better in the long run.

Any other pros or cons?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Less maintenance with smaller yard

While you may like that idea, I prefer large lots. I like a little breathing room and only have 3 acres (not enough).
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you live by their laws. Are there homeowners fees, do you have to wear a shirt to walk down your drive to get your morning paper, can you park your truck/boat/motorcycle outside? We have a lot of deed restricted communities in my area, some are OK others suck. Be sure to read EVERYTHING in the restriction list. See if there can be changes made (may not be in your favor).

I'd rather not thank you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Not just no, but hell no.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you are already a spineless wuss or the most anal son of a bitch on planet earth, these 1/8 Acre Hitlers will ruin your life. I have seen people sued and subjected to liens against their homes in the thousands of dollars (attorney fees to the association!) for having dead grass spots in their yards. People get nastygrams and worse for changing their oil in the driveway. Unless you read "Brave New World" and thought "Gee what a great way to live!" don't do it. The people who run those associations are demons from hell bent on the extinction of joy and the subjugation of all humanity.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless you are already a spineless wuss or the most anal son of a bitch on planet earth, these 1/8 Acre Hitlers will ruin your life. I have seen people sued and subjected to liens against their homes in the thousands of dollars (attorney fees to the association!) for having dead grass spots in their yards. People get nastygrams and worse for changing their oil in the driveway. Unless you read "Brave New World" and thought "Gee what a great way to live!" don't do it. The people who run those associations are demons from hell bent on the extinction of joy and the subjugation of all humanity.

yep.  couldn't have said it better!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, there are a shitload of DR properties/communities here and there's NO FUCKING WAY I'd submit to that kinda shit.

DR properties bring out the latent Nazi in people that are in control.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
run far away
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
LOSS OF FREEDOM == PRICELESS
KNOWTOW TO A NONGOVERNMETNAL AGENCY AND ACT LIKE A LAP DOG THAT CAN BE KICKED OUT AT ANY TIME, PRICELESS.

buying IN A DEED RESTRICTED AREA

THE DUMBEST IDEA AROUND.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
How much money per year is spent on keeping the lawyer on retainer? 5K, 10K, 15k, 20k?
How much do the members who do all the legwork get paid?
Who has control of the books and where is the money going, do you really have a clue?
How severe does the infraction have to be before they put a lien on your home and force you out?
How easy or hard is it to pass a new restricion/rule?

I found out the answers to these questions and many others and decided I would much rather keep the 1.5k in homeowners fees in my pocket each year and NEVER have anyone tell me that I can't get my mail in my underwear if I feel like it.
To each their own, buy into a nice neighborhood that riff raff can't afford or rent a nice apartment and be happy.

(this advice worth exactly what u paid 4 it)
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh come on it can't be that bad. I was hoping to get a fair battle here.

How much is a bit exaggerated?

I know a few people who do live in a deed restricted community and the only liens placed on homes were for the ones who did not pay association fees which were only about $125 a year which is easily recouped when selling the home due to a nice neighborhood especially when comparing to what is outside the community.

Also, you supposedly can't just put a lien on a house. You must show that the person owes you something and you can't say they "owe" you a green lawn.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
JT: Sure, go ahead and buy.

Drop us a line in a year and let us know how it's working out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Oh come on it can't be that bad. I was hoping to get a fair battle here.

You'll NEVER get a 'fair battle' from anyone that's lived under 'deed restricted' / Homeowner Association / Covenants and Conditions neighborhood.
'higher resale value' is little recompense for intrusiveness, restrictions on decor and paint and lawn choices, being hammered for restoring a car in your garage, being ordered to 'cease and desist' storing relaoding powder in your townhome garage, or being forced into legal battles resulting in liens against your property for FLYING THE NATION'S FLAG.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
It is only bad if the assoc... is very strict. Some high end HOA's are very strict and very $$$expensive.
$125 year sounds like peanuts to me, some of the one's i've seen are easily that much per month, and yes they are strict. Anyone that spends upwrds of $10,000 per year just to keep a lawyer on retainer is a serious HOA.
I was not posting in jest earlier, I was serious about finding out if they keep a lawyer on retainer, etc.

The one you are talking about sounds weak. Find out more, talk to your potential neighbors and then, make possibly the most expensive decision of your life.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Kinda like being in jail.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, they're THAT bad!

I live in just an average neighborhood, and I'm paying over $300 per year.

Those asshats have sent residents warning letters for some really mickey mouse crap.

And they love to spend the association's money on useless pet projects, which they pay for by raising your dues every couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Also, you supposedly can't just put a lien on a house. You must show that the person owes you something and you can't say they "owe" you a green lawn.

Not to be rude, but I went down in flames on behalf of a client IN FLORIDA over dead grass. The covenant required that the lawn be maintained. The practice was that that meant 100% green, with cure of dead patches w/in 2 weeks. My client thought that was nuts. During a drought, he let it go till the rain started again. They came in in the middle of the day & sodded the yard, & sued my guy for the cost of sodding, plus the attorney fees he agreed to when he signed the loony restriction-filled deed. The total judgment was over $3k.

Forget any argument based on practice, and any claim that "Yeah, it says that, but we're real easy going." They can and eventually will do every nasty thing they are permitted to do by the plain language of the deed.

Again, unless you are already the most anal man you ever met, don't even think about becoming a serf on one of these plantations.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have lived in mine for 7 years and it has always been good. Our covenants are very restrictive but they only clamp down on the really white trash types.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top