Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 11:01:42 AM EDT
Any know if there are any known issues with firing +P+ rounds from the Sig P229? I'm speaking specifically to 9mm 124gr Hydra-Shok +P+
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Hydra-Shoks are +P if I'm not mistaken, and that would translate into less recoil? There is a site that shows about 50 different types of 9mm amunition fired into ballistic gelatin. Three different types of Hydra-Shoks were tested. Two of them utterly sucked. But the 124ish grain load that I have showed very good expansion, and was about the same as the Ranger/Black Talon rounds shown. The difference is the expanded Ranger rounds are like a flower (with petals) and the Hydra-Shoks are like a mushroom when they expand. I will link the site when I get home if I remember to do so . You can't really go wrong with Ranger SXTs or Speer Gold Dots or Hydra-Shoks. Corbon was also good I believe.

Do a search for Sig Forums on Google and I'm sure you'll find them. I would assume they'd be the best people to ask about all things Sig.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the 229 can handle them just fine. I have fired thousands of these through older 226's, Beretta 92's and Glocks with zero problems. They will, as will all +P+ ammo, accelerate wear somewhat, but considering their price if you are the one paying (I was not) that will probably not be a big issue. This used to be the only game in town for a 124/127gr. +P+ level load, but the jackets do tend to blow off with some regularity. I think the SXT 127 +P+ is definitely a better load these days so that is my choice for serious 9mm use. The Gold Dot 124 +P is also a very good load, and does hold together better than the HydraShok as well. I have seen some Beretta's choke on the SXT bullet design but no Sigs as of yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top