Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 10:05:26 AM EDT
Hey guys, the big date June 13th is fast approaching when my fiance and I will be married.  We are considering the big island of Hawaii for our honey moon but are looking for other ideas too.  What do you guys think that have been to the big island?  We have spent time in Oahu and while we had a good time, it wasn't really what I expected from Hawaii, I know they are two totally different islands but we have been to Hawaii in the past.

Any other ideas, we have been all over the Southwest, ie Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, So. Cal. beaches and stuff like that.  We are looking to go somewhere kind of far but stay in the United States at the same time, I don't want to give my money to other countries and I feel safer in the states anyway.

Any tips???

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Florida Keys.  The wife and I go there every year now.   Very laid back and comfortable place.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Run away fast.  The Big day will be your last.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you got the money Tahiti or Moorea.  It's unreal.  We stayed in a hut over the ocean and they brought our breakfast to us by canoe and we tossed the left overs through the square cut in the floor to awaiting manta rays.,  It was well worth the money
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
How about the New England area of the USA, WAshington DC, New York? Or how about our good neighors to the north Canada, Montreal,Quebec etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The Big Island has a few waterfalls, but mainly volcano national park. The Kona coast on the big island has a decent sized town, but is completely on the other size of the island from the Volcano national park. The town of Lithue(?) on the NE side of the island is noce, but everything closes at 9 PM.

Maui and Lanai are the beautiful green islands. You could split a week between the two of them.

You are correct in saying Oahu is not the real Hawaii. I loved the weather but it was too crowded for me.

Have you seen my "What Caribbean Island" thread in the team forum?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
We have been to Canada via a Royal Carribean cruise through Victoria Island and Vancouver. It was ok but we want to stay in the United States this time.

The northeast is somewhere I have never been but it just doesn't seem like honeymoon material, more like a summer vacation to go see all of the monuments and war memorials.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
You should consider doing some fucking. Many people enjoy it, and it's a traditional honeymoon activity.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Put together, my wife and I  have been to most of the islands of Hawaii at some point and time. We honeymooned in Kaui, we went back to dive the Big Island, I have been to Oahu before going and coming from west pac, and she vacationed in Maui.

She still loves Maui the best, though the two of us have not gone together. She liked all the shoping and touristy spots the most.

Kaui was very nice. A lot of beaches no one but you are on. We rented a nice house along a "river" though I would say it was a big creek. You could float down it on a pool raft to the sea shore.

The big island had a lot of things to see if you are willing to drive a bit. We spent a lot of time driving around to see all the sights. Black sand beach, Green sand beach, the volcano, Hilo and the tsunami museum. We rented a room at uncle billy's. Fairly inexpensive, and in the middle of town so we didn't have to scrounge for parking like everyone else.

Guess it depends on if you plan on being on the go, or hanging out to relax.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Maui sounds beutiful but she was there with her ex boyfriend so that is kind of out of the question in my opinion.

If we go to the big island do you suggest flying into Kona or Hilo???  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I went to Kauai for one week and Maui for two weeks. We did it this way as recommended by many people that went there. Kauai is very realxing, which was perfect after a wedding and all the planning. Maui has more to do. We also flew to oahu to pay our respects to Pearl Harbor. We got to tour the USS MO also. We were glad we didn't spend more time there. Maui was the best by far.  Good luck on the big day and many happy years together.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Local Holiday Inn.  You can count the dots on the ceiling just as easy from there as anywhere.

Save your money and put the down payment on a house.   Honestly the only thing needed for a successful marriage is love and committment.  A large wedding and honeymoon is just trimming for the cake.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Local Holiday Inn.  You can count the dots on the ceiling just as easy from there as anywhere.

Save your money and put the down payment on a house.  Honestly the only thing needed for a successful marriage is love and committment.  A large wedding and honeymoon is just trimming for the cake.

Tj

TJ is a wise man. Listen to him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Florida Keys.  The wife and I go there every year now.   Very laid back and comfortable place.

Ok, talk to me a little more about the keys. I am checking some prices on Expedia and it seems extremely reasonable.  Are there any activities or things to see besides laying on the beach all day??? How far from Miami is the keys??
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any other ideas, we have been all over the Southwest, ie Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, So. Cal. beaches and stuff like that.  We are looking to go somewhere kind of far but stay in the United States at the same time, I don't want to give my money to other countries and I feel safer in the states anyway.

My wife and I took a trip several years ago to Lake Haversu and stayed at the resort.

You can day trip to the Grand Canyon and/or Sedona.  We took guided trips into the desert.  Vegas is close enough.

AR related you can see if Bushmaster is making the Carbon 15 there (Professional Ordanance was based there).

Another nice choice is Bar Harbor, Maine (my wife and I spend part of our honeymoon there).  Lots to to at Acadia National Park, whale watching trips, wind jammer type trips, brewerey trips/tase testing!, and the Lobster is cheap.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#16]
lvgunner777,

Have you ever considered Las Vegas.  I know lots of people go there for their honeymoon and enjoy it.

Yeah I know, there is a smart a$$ in every crowd.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
We went to the big island in 1999.  There is a lot of neat stuff to see there.  That having been said, we found the Kona area a little boring and were ready to leave early.  In the Volcano area, we stayed at the Inn at Volcano and really enjoyed.  Be sure to try the Thai place in town if it's still there.  On the Kohala coast we stayed at the Mauna Kea, which is beautiful, but seemed to attract retirees and was where we started to get antsy.

If you do go to the big island, make sure to violate your rental car agreement and go down to Ka Le (South Point).  The road to the area is paved and not rough, although rental agencies put in the contract that you will not go down it.  This is probably to prevent you from going from South Point to the green sand beach in your vehicle - this is an exceedingly rough 4WD odyssey, and you're much better off hiking there.  Anyway, you go down this road past a windfarm where the windmills make an eerie howling noise and end up at the southernmost point in the US, where it's believed that the original Polynesians landed.  From there you can go to the green sand beach, where the sand is an olive green - I believe it's made up of tourmaline.  The riptide's fierce there so be careful swimming, but it's worth a picture.

Have a good time!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Make sure you show her who wears the pants in the family, who's going to be the boss.  It starts on the honeymoon.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Take lots of Anal-Ease?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#21]
There is only one thing wrong with Hawaii.  The cost.  Damn, everything there is expensive.  If you don't care, you can't go wrong.

If you want more exotic, the above named Tahiti and Moorea are cool.  Also, if you can take a bit longer on  a jet, Phuket Thailand is excellent.

Have fun.  Congratulations.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Maui sounds beutiful but she was there with her ex boyfriend so that is kind of out of the question in my opinion.

Then avoid Hawaii altogether.

Try Grand Cayman. Beatiful, crystal clear water, English-speaking 1st world island without any real slums. Unlike Jamaica, you won't get nervous if you get lost. They even accept US $$. Great dining too featuring spicy Caribbean jerk dishes. (I wouldn't even consider a place without great food)

The only weirdness is they drive on the wrong side.

My wife and I rented snorkeling gear and drove around the island stopping wherever it looked nice. Did some really nice guided snorkeling too.

And you can't beat the rum!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Not really knowing what you like, this is where my wife & I took our honeymoon. REALLY enjoyed it.

http://www.foresths.com/
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You should consider doing some fucking. Many people enjoy it, and it's a traditional honeymoon activity.

I'm sure he's already done that but good advice nonetheless.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Am I the first??

Hit it and take pics!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Glacier National park or vail colorado

Take the ski lift up lionshead in vail ,hike the rest of the way to the top find a nice place to rest
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]
When my wife and I got married, it was a simple, cheap wedding and we honeymooned at Lake Nacimiento campground about three hours away by car. Yes it was low cost and yes we are enjoying our 5 bedroom, two-story house today. Got the message?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#28]
How about a cruise through the Carribbean or the Bahamas?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, talk to me a little more about the keys. I am checking some prices on Expedia and it seems extremely reasonable.  Are there any activities or things to see besides laying on the beach all day??? How far from Miami is the keys??

I'll take this one..I lived in Key West for three years (DO NOT GO THERE AFTER DARK WITH YOUR WIFE) anyway..the Keys are very beautiful and romatic. Islamorada, Marathon, the pine keys..there alot of smaller keys with little hotels on the ocean..quiet and romantic. make sure you do have things to do in the day..you only have so much vitamin B to give her. Go online and find one of the smaller keys with a hideaway type of hotel or resort..it'll be the best honeymoon you can imagine.

STAY AWAY FROM KEY WEST!!! It is a monster looking for victims.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Disney World.

And ditto to whoever suggested not spending too much on the honeymoon.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#31]
As far as my financial situation, thanks for the concern but I wasn't looking for advice regarding that.  

I was just asking for advice about a good place to go on a honeymoon.

Anyway, we are now thinking about Cancun, anyone been there, what did you think???  Any hotel suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
We have been to Canada via a Royal Carribean cruise through Victoria Island and Vancouver. It was ok but we want to stay in the United States this time.

The northeast is somewhere I have never been but it just doesn't seem like honeymoon material, more like a summer vacation to go see all of the monuments and war memorials.

Alaska is one of our most beautiful states.
Florida (Disneyworld) has a lot to offer
Louisianna has some great reataurants and Hotels.
I know the whole New England East Coast has a lot to offer if you have not done that.
Yellowstone

Just a few suggestions, Oh yeah getting married was the best thing I ever did in my life! Don't listen to these "run away" and "Be afraid, be very afraid" types.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
As far as my financial situation, thanks for the concern but I wasn't looking for advice regarding that.  

I was just asking for advice about a good place to go on a honeymoon.

Anyway, we are now thinking about Cancun, anyone been there, what did you think???  Any hotel suggestions.

Just FYI, Cancun is in Mexico (foreign Country that mostly does not like Americans)
They do like our money and in most of the resort towns Cancun included you are very safe. Federalies with machine guns walking the beach and streets to protect you from the Mexican people.  Cancun is very nice and there are many others in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Sumrifle, thanks for the input. I know Cancun is in Mexico but my fiance is really interested in going there. The deals on Expedia are cheap, round trip air fare and  a 4 star hotel for around $1500 total with tax and fees. That is a 5 night stay.

I would love to go to Alaska sometime but we are thinking tropical this time. Anyone been to Costa Rica???
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Not costa rica, but Belize. That was very nice. Try the jungle lodges. Just big hotels out in the middle of now where. You can do cave tubing, walk the ruins of some mayan pyramids, and there is a reef out there you can snorkel or dive. Bring a lot of OFF.
A lot of out doorsy stuff. Fairly cheap to be there, and not bad to get there either.

Grand cayman is expensive to eat. We don't drink and probably spent 100 bucks a night for dinners.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top