Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 2:11:38 PM EDT
Here in Oregon and Washington we have the Northern Pike Minnow Program (Formally known as the "Squaw Fish") through the Bonneville Power Administration.  Basically the NPM eats Salmon fry in huge numbers so the goal of the program is to reduce the number of NPM by about 15-20% each year to protect the Salmon season (That the state makes millions off of).  More baby Salmon surviving to adulthood means bigger runs a few years down the road.

Most years the rates are $6/fish for up to 200 fish and then $8/fish for everyone over that.   Catch 500 fish and you get $3,600.  They also catch and release a number of NPW with tags so that they can track their movement patterns on the Columbia and Snake rivers.  Catch one of these and it's $500 a pop.  It's a 5 month season from May to September and one year the top guy made almost $90,000(!), for fishing.  The top guy in bank fishing (No boat) netted almost $20,000 that year.

Last year because of the lock downs the number of people participating (And the days they could participate) were way down so they raised the payouts to $10/fish no matter how many you caught and $1,000/fish for the tagged ones.  Even with those increases though the top guy came out with less than $50,000.  Because of the low totals it means that there's going to be a LOT of NPM in the rivers and you'll get $500 for a tagged fish wether it was tagged this year or last (A lot of last years tags are still out there).

Anyway, I think I'm going to spend a couple of days a week fishing the little bastards just down from the Bonneville Dam this season. It's better if you have a boat of course but some of the top money makers every year fish off the bank and piers.

Anything like that in your state?

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports/creel/pikeminnow

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Raccoon tails are worth $5 each.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea but I'll look. Good thread topic
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Bigfoot Bounty

Instead, his bill proposes to offer a bounty of $25,000 to anyone who captures the creature.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a bounty for anything I know of, But AZ does want you to catch and eat all the crayfish/crawdads/mudbugs you can as they are an invasive species here.  They even supply recipes on the AZGFD site.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Beaver tails are worth $30 each
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I think that a "Bigfoot" would be worth considerably more than that if someone had one to sell.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Bounty for Walleye and Lake Trout on Pend Orielle

There's also a private group you can join that pays bounty on wolves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Not really but with Govenor shit for brains Inslee and Turd Furgeson as AN, I am sure there will be a bounty in conservatives.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Pocket gophers are worth $3 at the township level. There is a retired guy around here that has quite the trap line going. He runs a lot of the township gravel roads and farmers will ask him to trap their land.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The top Washington guy has actually made more than 100k a couple times. There used to be a story about it on the wdfw website
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The top Washington guy has actually made more than 100k a couple times. There used to be a story about it on the wdfw website
View Quote
That must be his job lol.  A hundred grand for 5 months of fishing.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Only thing I've heard of was if you caught a spoonbill (aka paddlefish) with an ID tag on it, they paid you to turn in the tag. Might have just been a BS fishing tale.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, that's worth more than the pelts now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Although SC doesn't have a full-on bounty for coyote (as far as I know) I do know they were doing a tagged coyote contest...meaning if you shot a tagged yote and turned it in, you got something like $100 or $1000 or something.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
There are none that I know of in NY, and the only one I've heard of was Adirondack Wolves way back in the day.

We do have open season on a few species like Carp, Red Squirrel, Porcupine, Woodchuck and some type of Parakeet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
$50/coyote in UT.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pythons.
View Quote

If we could bring shotguns, I would go..my 1301 Tactical is hungry for snake..
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Used to shoot feral dogs/coyotes back when i was a teenager, $5 each was a good bit of money back then.   Some counties run a feral hog bounty program but I've never looked into it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Arkansas Rural Water Districts (used to?) have a $15 bounty on beaver tails.
Odd that it is not related to Game & Fish department.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pocket gophers are worth $3 at the township level. There is a retired guy around here that has quite the trap line going. He runs a lot of the township gravel roads and farmers will ask him to trap their land.
View Quote

Pocket gophers here in Washington are endangered and protected
Millions of dollars worth of property is effectively locked up from development.
Typically, people wanting to build a home have been boned by this.

Colville Confederated Tribes have a $10 bounty on Northern pike in Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River). Up to 1000 fish/year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bounty for Walleye and Lake Trout on Pend Orielle

There's also a private group you can join that pays bounty on wolves.
View Quote

What the hell kinda fish do they want to preserve that they are getting rid of walleye and lake trout?  Sturgeon? I would consider walleye and lake trout above pretty much any other game fish species.  

Depending on the numbers, I could probably make a pretty good living there doing that.  

I thought the OP was talking about northern pike, if that was the case I would be looking up homes in ID right now, I could easily quit my job and make 6 figures catching those all day.  If you knew the habitat of whatever those things are, some poacher could probably make an absolute killing electro fishing at night.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What the hell kinda fish do they want to preserve that they are getting rid of walleye and lake trout?  Sturgeon? I would consider walleye and lake trout above pretty much any other game fish species.  

Depending on the numbers, I could probably make a pretty good living there doing that.  

I thought the OP was talking about northern pike, if that was the case I would be looking up homes in ID right now, I could easily quit my job and make 6 figures catching those all day.  If you knew the habitat of whatever those things are, some poacher could probably make an absolute killing electro fishing at night.
View Quote

I think we have a bounty on black carp or something similar. $100 sticks out in my mind but it might be $10.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to make beer and gas money spearfishing "squawfish" now known as "Northern Pikeminnow".  The guys fishing with hook and line started whining about it and the fish police shut me down.  Fishermen can be worse than Fudds.

I just enjoy hunting fish more than fishing for them.  How does it make any sense to keep fish killers like me from slaying invasive species?

In Maui, they have a program for spearfishing  the invasive Peacock Grouper.  It's a blast!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Not that I'm aware of, but game and fish will come to private property and do a free survey on deer population. Depending on what they find, some property owners can get a shitload of extra tags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Arkansas was paying $30 per beaver tail last I saw.  Of course, you have to jump through a bunch of paperwork to get signed up for the bounty.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#28]
It's coyotes in Wyoming.  Used to be $20 for a pair of ears, not sure if they still do that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to make beer and gas money spearfishing "squawfish" now known as "Northern Pikeminnow".  The guys fishing with hook and line started whining about it and the fish police shut me down.  Fishermen can be worse than Fudds.

I just enjoy hunting fish more than fishing for them.  How does it make any sense to keep fish killers like me from slaying invasive species?

In Maui, they have a program for spearfishing  the invasive Peacock Grouper.  It's a blast!
View Quote

Never accuse the fish and game managers as being the sharpest tack in the drawer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here in Florida you can shoot lionfish with a Glock and a special underwater suppressor
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

For anyone considering it, keep this in mind- you have to catch them in the Columbia or certain closely connected waterways.  There has over the years been a number of arrests made on some of the folks who would go fish pike minnows out of rivers that were outside the fishing area, because you can catch more where there is no fishing pressure.  WDFW takes that pretty serious since it is fraud, and it is pretty easy to follow and catch the cheaters once they get suspected of this kind of behavior.  

Also because of dipshits like that is why you have to check in at the start of each day, and then check out with the fish checker at just a few locations every day.  This makes the whole thing a bit more pain in the neck to do.  Would be better if with modern technology you could just use a gps app on your phone and turn it on, and check in when convenient.  

The whole program is paid for by everyone who gets electricity from the dams.  If I had a smaller boat that I could run by myself a little easier I might give it a try myself.

Also if they really gave a damn, they would let you run multiple rods out to catch them....  but it is a feel good program, not one that actually accomplishes much, so that is not allowed.  I can run two rods for kokanee in a lake, but not for pike minnows in the river.

Edit- scuba guy being told to stop doesn’t surprise me.  Like I said, it is a feel good program only..,
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Alaska has had bounty on wolves and bears at different times.
Also on some fish in lakes and ponds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#33]
No paid bounty on them but we are asked to dispatch any and all Asian Carp (thanks again, China) that we come across.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Millions of dollars worth of property is effectively locked up from development.

Colville Confederated Tribes have a $10 bounty on Northern pike in Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River). Up to 1000 fish/year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mourning Doves are a protected song bird here, there are loads of them.

Pretty much every other state has a dove season.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For anyone considering it, keep this in mind- you have to catch them in the Columbia or certain closely connected waterways.  There has over the years been a number of arrests made on some of the folks who would go fish pike minnows out of rivers that were outside the fishing area, because you can catch more where there is no fishing pressure.  WDFW takes that pretty serious since it is fraud, and it is pretty easy to follow and catch the cheaters once they get suspected of this kind of behavior.  

Also because of dipshits like that is why you have to check in at the start of each day, and then check out with the fish checker at just a few locations every day.  This makes the whole thing a bit more pain in the neck to do.  Would be better if with modern technology you could just use a gps app on your phone and turn it on, and check in when convenient.  

The whole program is paid for by everyone who gets electricity from the dams.  If I had a smaller boat that I could run by myself a little easier I might give it a try myself.

Also if they really gave a damn, they would let you run multiple rods out to catch them....  but it is a feel good program, not one that actually accomplishes much, so that is not allowed.  I can run two rods for kokanee in a lake, but not for pike minnows in the river.

Edit- scuba guy being told to stop doesn’t surprise me.  Like I said, it is a feel good program only..,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many people raise them at their houses and stash em in the river to turn in?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No paid bounty on them but we are asked to dispatch any and all Asian Carp (thanks again, China) that we come across.
View Quote

I think carp are the only fish you are allowed to shoot with a bow here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Here in CO $20 reward is paid to anglers for each northern pike they catch in Green Mountain and Wolford Mountain reservoirs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Edit - Wrong thread
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not a feel good program. Hook and line is to prevent by-catch. (vs gill-net) They increased pay rates because of low participation. The fish is a native so they don't want to eradicate it. Only the larger size class that eat large amounts of salmon.

https://www.bpa.gov/news/newsroom/Pages/Northern-pikeminnow-season-extended-rewards-increased.aspx
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mourning Doves are a protected song bird here, there are loads of them.

Pretty much every other state has a dove season.
View Quote

Does protecting the doves prevent people from developing their real estate?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the billions of dollars they're planning on spending on weirs and research to keep then out of the Great Lakes, I've never understood why they didn't just offer a federal bounty program.

A couple bucks a fish and every redneck on the Mississippi would be out hunting Asian carp. We've killed off multiple species of fish, animals and birds before, by accident. Pretty sure they could arrange to do it on purpose if they really wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Walleye and lake trout are invasive here.

That said, I've caught more and larger walleye in the last 3 years living out here, than in my entire 27 years living/fishing in MN.

Lake Pend Orielle is ok but the real crazy walleye fishery is Lake Roosevelt over in WA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Various counties in Va have bounties on coyotes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Alaska has had bounty on wolves and bears at different times.
Also on some fish in lakes and ponds.
View Quote

Well now, that's a bit more interesting than minnows.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many do you want? Can't get $2 for a dead Raccoon here (live is $20).
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#46]
not that i'm aware of...but we can kill all the coyote and hog we want regardless of season
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top