Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2021 6:06:40 PM EDT
I've been on the sidelines for too darn long.  I have investments but there are very hands off.  One is (was) a USAA Roth IRA mutual fund that was transferred to some other company which I will transfer to Vanguard, I think.  The other was my TSP when I was active.  I seperated in '07 and had made about $8k in contributions.  I completely left it alone and just contacted them yesterday to gain access again.  The value of that original $8K is now $23K!  I understand the Time Value of Money.

I need some schooling on where to start and how to take a more active role.  Day trading?  Do I let someone else do it?  Can I make enough money on day trading for daily living?  Where do I start?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
So you ask GD?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy AMZN.

They will take over the world.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Just use vanguard.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Go talk to an advisor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
In the future, everything is CHIPOTLE.

FRANCHISE WARS

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have it on good authority that prostitutes and narcotics are a sound investment vehicle offering excellent income generation opportunities in an industry with massive growth potential.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have it on good authority that prostitutes and narcotics are a sound investment vehicle offering excellent income generation opportunities in an industry with massive growth potential.
View Quote

A 60/40 ratio biased towards blow over hookers is the ideal setup for most folks.
Depending on your income to asset ratio you may want to adjust the balance towards blow if your income needs are a smaller percentage of your assets and vice versa.

Blow provides the greatest return potential but is also very heavily affected by economic downturn. Being high priced a lack of partying and cash flow can greatly decrease the demand and thus your equity. However this can be offset with hookers who provide very consistent if not impressive dividends, you just have to be cautious of the demand going up during downturns, and coming back down during times of economic recovery.  Your hookers won't ever excite you, but they can pay today's bills when times are tough.  Your blow will pay tommorows bills.

This isn't even going into the different asset classes such as fat hookers and not fat hookers, but is enough to take care of most people's needs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A 60/40 ratio biased towards blow over hookers is the ideal setup for most folks.
Depending on your income to asset ratio you may want to adjust the balance towards blow if your income needs are a smaller percentage of your assets and vice versa.

Blow provides the greatest return potential but is also very heavily affected by economic downturn. Being high priced a lack of partying and cash flow can greatly decrease the demand and thus your equity. However this can be offset with hookers who provide very consistent if not impressive dividends, you just have to be cautious of the demand going up during downturns, and coming back down during times of economic recovery.  Your hookers won't ever excite you, but they can pay today's bills when times are tough.  Your blow will pay tommorows bills.

This isn't even going into the different asset classes such as fat hookers and not fat hookers, but is enough to take care of most people's needs.
View Quote

How long have you worked on Wall Street?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
OP

I was a partner in a firm that offered financial advisory services for about 8 years. I did not provide those services as I do not possess the proper licenses to do so. I was more back office, introduce people to people type.

With that said, find someone you trust who is properly licensed. Steer clear of the big Wall Street firms, look for a smaller boutique. However they may have a minimum asset requirement. We specialized in high net worth people, some worth 9 figures. But still would take in someone with $100k if it felt like a good fit.

If you live in a smallish town there are probably decent people with great reputations who have been there for a decade plus. If you live in a big city...you’re on your own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been on the sidelines for too darn long.  I have investments but there are very hands off.  One is (was) a USAA Roth IRA mutual fund that was transferred to some other company which I will transfer to Vanguard, I think.  The other was my TSP when I was active.  I seperated in '07 and had made about $8k in contributions.  I completely left it alone and just contacted them yesterday to gain access again.  The value of that original $8K is now $23K!  I understand the Time Value of Money.

I need some schooling on where to start and how to take a more active role.  Day trading?  Do I let someone else do it?  Can I make enough money on day trading for daily living?  Where do I start?
View Quote

8k to 23 k since 2007 is pretty good and sounds like it was 100% invested in total stock market or sp500. if it is in a vangaurd low cost mutual fund, just leave it and dont touch it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I need help too. Well lost way too much $ in the past couple weeks

I pulled it out. Fucking stock market is no different then playing craps
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can’t tell if trolling or not.  Same with OP.

How in the hell could you lose much money the past few weeks?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
What did you have?

You do what most do when they're down get scared and bail. I held through the covid BS didn't sell anything but bought and nearly doubled that money. But it took months.

You need to take emotion out of it. I am down over $10,000 today. Sucks but don't panic.

Buy quality and hold it for years even through the downs. Hell buy more then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
actually you are lagging behind returns in total stock market. you should be around 29k if invested in VTI or similar

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Vanguard S&P 500 fund will beat most managed funds.

Don't day trade.

Buy above, hold, keep adding to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I pulled it out. Fucking stock market is no different then playing crap
View Quote
Unless everything went backrupt you wouldn't have lost anything if you left the money in.
Or were you options trading?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What did you have?

You do what most do when they're down get scared and bail. I held through the covid BS didn't sell anything but bought and nearly doubled that money. But it took months.

You need to take emotion out of it. I am down over $10,000 today. Sucks but don't panic.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you have?

I love these threads. I want 10% every year and never lose value!

“Umm, it doesn’t work that way. Never has and never will”
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Index and ETF funds. I don't know why people mess with day trading unless it's a full time job. It's very difficult to beat an index fund is and more or less a zero sum game shuffling money between other traders instead of going in long on a business that's going to grow wealth organically.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I have no idea if I am up or down today, don’t care and I sleep well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m sure I’m down. I want it to keep going down. A 30% drop would be fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m sure I’m down. I want it to keep going down. A 30% drop would be fucking awesome.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I would like that very much as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#24]
If only there were hundreds websites with investment information, that is much better than GD...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Put 50% into stocks, 40% into bonds, and 10% on next week's Powerball
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If only there were hundreds websites with investment information, that is much better than GD...
View Quote

This is social media, people are looking for the shotgun of opinions.  Nothing wrong with that.   Besides, I am 100% diversified with GameStop OTM calls.  I have a good feeling about this one and I just want to share my joy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm sure I'm down. I want it to keep going down. A 30% drop would be fucking awesome.
View Quote

I'm praying for a 30% drop.  If that happens, I'm all in with everything I've got.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only 10%?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm praying for a 30% drop.  If that happens, I'm all in with everything I've got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure I'm down. I want it to keep going down. A 30% drop would be fucking awesome.

You mean like March of last year?  

Op here’s my advice. Keep buying. Market up you buy like you always do, on schedule. Market down big?  You buy more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#30]
How far away from retirement are you?

A simple three fund portfolio is the way to go for most people. A total us market fund, an international fund, and a bond fund. How high of a percentage you have in bonds depends on how close to retirement you are.

Info
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He yolo'd on GME and didn't pull out...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Op here’s my advice. Keep buying. Market up you buy like you always do, on schedule. Market down big?  You buy more.
View Quote

How much cash did you set aside for that?  I did 30% and that worked out great.  I don’t do market timing but that was too easy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

No, you lol!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#35]
For most people what you invest in is less important than consistently investing.

Have you actually sat down and done your monthly budget out down to the penny and are automatically contributing enough to max out a roth account and dumping extra in to either paying off your house or something that outpaces your mortgage interest/inflation?

Most mutual funds are perfect for your average investor. They allow maximum diversification and are managed by full time people who know this shit. If you are going the dave ramsey route you want a good us growth fund, a growth and income fund, an aggressive growth fund and an international fund...

He tends to be a little bit of a simpleton in his explanations for good reason. It has a lot more to do with your age, how close you are to retirement and your risk tolerance. I am still youngish so am pretty much entirely in aggressive growth stuff especially since I don't have a ton that i am risking. As you build a larger fund your risk tolerance should lower at least as a percentage of your investments.

I mainly go with a us growth mutual fund and have several individual stocks as well as some crypto. The market may tank but I don't give a shit what the actual dollar value of my accounts is right now I'm trying to get my fingers in as many stable gainers as I can and a handful of fun ones like the richest untapped uranium mine in north america and their shares are only a dollar or this company has a new style of nuclear reactor that passed the NRC and their shares are also cheap. Some of those smaller risky bets can pay off pretty big and keep you a little bit more engaged but I only really buy them when i devote a chunk to invest and have change leftover from more bluechip type stocks.

There's a lot to learn about so many different aspects but if you steadily save money and put it in things with a good track record of beating inflation/bond/mortgage rates then you'll be fine.

or go on r/wallstreetbets put all your life saving in to gme and yolo
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Locked in the losses by selling an hour ago huh? And now you want advice?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just buy AMZN.

They will take over the world.
View Quote

lol fuck them over 3k a share
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How much cash did you set aside for that?  I did 30% and that worked out great.  I don’t do market timing but that was too easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maxed the heloc. All cash was gone during early March from buying. I was literally panic buying with every bit of cash I had.

Panic buying with every damn cent I had.  I think I had only 7k liquid cash left in checking account that was it.  1 month expenses.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So you ask GD?
View Quote

This is poors thinking

GD gets 14% returns every year
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

How old are you and what's your retirement horizon?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

this is how not to invest.
when the stock market goes down you buy more don't sell
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Unless everything went backrupt you wouldn't have lost anything if you left the money in.
Or were you options trading?
View Quote

I struggle with looking at it as paper loss. I mean money is money.  I am frugal and seeing 7, 8 now 10 k loses 3 of the last 4 trading days makes my stomach turn.  I am out for a while at least I will sleep ok at night and won’t see huge negatives
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

and a lovely example of how to invest
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

10 year bonds are what 1.4  lol

also just go buy some bitcoin large banks and tesla now accepting better than just holding dollar usually.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok smarty pants market is down today so you buy tomorrow.  Let’s say tomorrow is another 500 drop.  Then Monday is a 200 loss.  At some point you run out of money buying low
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta watch those inventory turnover numbers, too.  Lots of working capital can be wrapped up in it, which is prone to shrinkage through toilet flushing and your distribution channel partners going to prison.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol fuck them over 3k a share
View Quote

You look back a decade from now and you’ll think $3k today was a great deal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm down 43,000 today and will sleep like a babby. I look at it multiple times a day to see if I should buy.

OP, open and fund a Fidelity account and use their research tools to figure out something that suits you to buy. I have been investing for 34 years and have been a pretty strict dividend only guy until the last two years and have done pretty fucking well.

DO NOT not day trade

DO NOT try to time the market

DO NOT buy anything you can't explain to someone else

DO NOT fall in love with any security ANYTHING can come back down

DON"T PANIC!

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ok smarty pants market is down today so you buy tomorrow.  Let’s say tomorrow is another 500 drop.  Then Monday is a 200 loss.  At some point you run out of money buying low
View Quote

Of course you have to realize the difference between a failing company and market fluctuations. That's also why most normal people shouldn't be messing with single stocks and the more complex mechanics of the market and just pick a mutual fund or three with a good track record.

What I mean buy buying more when it goes down is that you should just be steadily investing each pay period or month, watch the market, when you see a steady downturn (not a single day down) is when you should consider investing some of your additional accumulated savings. Like I dumped extra on single stocks that I have been watching for a little while this tuesday. Pretty much caught the bottom of the dip at a little lower price than i was already willing to spend and am still up despite the overall losses in the market the last couple days. But I don't give a shit what it looks like the last couple days or month to month I'm looking at 5 years out in most cases.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top