Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 8:52:45 PM EDT
I was watching a western the other day and had a thought. Did they drink warm beer back then. Refrigeration was not around back then. I was thinking blocks of ice but then realized there was no way to make ice. Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
it was the old west!

people werent pussies then.
they had warm beer and drank it like doc holiday.

joking aside.
i think they were more into hard liquor.

scotch on the rocks is nice, but not necessary.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The lack of refridgeration is what made whiskey the perfect drink of the day. Beer didn't last long when left at room temp, so it didn't travel well, & whiskey did. Warm beer in bars was pretty common, but ice was used when available.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
beer is soppused to be served at celler temp anyway.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Not only did they not have refrigeration, pasteurization of beer is a rather new process as well; so it had to be brewed locally and lasted only for a week, even when bottled.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
back in the old west they use to "harvest ice" they would cut out blocks of ice from lakes with big saws and bring it to town for the "ice box" depending on your location, I doubt they had much ice in places like Tombstone, AZ.

They even had special box cars on trains that were like a big "ice box" that they use for transporting fresh produce and meats to markets, they used the blocks of ice to keep it cool.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
In parts of the Old West (Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Dakotas, etc.) it's real hot in the summer and real cold in the winter.  So they cut ice in the winter and store it in an ice house.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
[Al Swearengen] C**ksuckers should be drinking f***ing whiskey anyf***ingway.  Only g**damn, c**ksucking squareheads drink f***ing beer! [/Al Swearengen]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I think they kept some beer that they had in cellars or another type of room to keep it cooler.  70 or 80 compared to 100+ will seem kinda cool.

I saw something on it awhile back, but I dont remember much about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top