Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 5:36:48 PM EDT
I was shooting my ar-15, cetme, and break action 20ga with a friend on his private property for about half an hour.  As i was packing up a member of the Sheriff's department approached and told me to unload my gear and follow him.  We had to sit and wait for a local police officer and the Sheriff to show up.  Now i was fairly back in the woods between some large hills, but a neighbor had called in reference to automatic gun fire.  The Sheriff only opened my ar-15 case and looked at it... then put it down and zipped it back up.  So i got a 20 minute lecture on why i need military-like rifles and...i was told we were tresspassing (apparently the property ends between the hills but were unmarked) and was told if i was seen anywhere in the village or town with my rifles I would be talked to again.  Since I wasnt being beligerant they let me off.  So i guess no cleaning them outside in my lawn for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was shooting my ar-15, cetme, and break action 20ga with a friend on his private property for about half an hour.  As i was packing up a member of the Sheriff's department approached and told me to unload my gear and follow him.  We had to sit and wait for a local police officer and the Sheriff to show up.  Now i was fairly back in the woods between some large hills, but a neighbor had called in reference to automatic gun fire.  The Sheriff only opened my ar-15 case and looked at it... then put it down and zipped it back up.  So i got a 20 minute lecture on why i need military-like rifles and...i was told we were tresspassing (apparently the property ends between the hills but were unmarked) and was told if i was seen anywhere in the village or town with my rifles I would be talked to again.  Since I wasnt being beligerant they let me off.  So i guess no cleaning them outside in my lawn for awhile.

Write a letter complaining about the pus-gutted fuckstick delivering political lectures on county time. Then stay away from there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So i guess no cleaning them outside in my lawn for awhile.

You REALLY need to talk to a guy named 1shot1kill.
You think you have a story? He'll tell you one that will curl your hair!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
This was in Dutchess country right outside the village...its mostly woods and farms here.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Last time I was in upstate NY visiting, we started shooting out back. We (4 of us) shot skeet, handguns, rifles, ARs etc.

Eventually the Sheriff Dept did show up. The Deputy talked and hung out for a burger and soda. He never even blinked twice at the ARs. He was friendly and professional.

The rest of the times I have been there shooting only neighbors showed up to shoot with us. No police lecture even after hours of shooting.

So I can't comment on your experience but rifles and shooting is not uncommon from what I have seen in upstate NY, now NYC is a different animal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It wasn't marked and you were "tresspassing"?

And what does "seen anywhere in the village or town with my rifles" supposed to mean? Does he mean out shooting in the woods?  Not good, if some of these a-holes get it in for you they will give you the business.

I don't know if you should or want to say but where was this?

If he was on his friend's land, then surely the tresspassing threat is BS to say. Not enforceable.

I wonder about any LEO that would give a lecture for 20min on why not to own a gun. Not someone I would want to work with.

My vote is this was a police imposter!

PS when and why did they stick you in the police car?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha! Ya piker!  My first ride in a police car happened in MEXICO...  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, now I really need to hear the rest of this! Is he around on this forum?
Damnit, when is the search and archive servers going back up?!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Well they threw my bags in the back of the car and said I'm going to have to take you home now.  So the officer drove me and my friend around town for a little at about 4pm and then dropped us off at the his house.  I felt like such a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you forgot about the Sunset04 tale of woe ?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Welp , here is my adventure with the law and shooting. We were shootin on private property up in OLD TOWN, FL. We were shooting ARs, Pistols and Mosin NAgants. I was having fun dumping some mags with the AR. Well apprently a neighbor called the cops. Cop had to be let in the gate on the private property, he walked up (unarmed) , We had the guns in cases with the cases closed but  unlocked and not latched. Cop jus talked to us, BSing and what not, asked what we were shooting and I opened case and said AR and Mosin Nagant and some pistols. He never really looked at the guns, He was more curious about our "range" that had been built, it was a small plinking range with beefed up railroad ties on theback and sides and about 5 foot high.  After some chit chat he left. No real drama, no laws were being broken either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top