Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 9:15:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
See, that's what I find so refreshing and pure about greed.  There's no hypocrisy at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
We missed your 15th birthday by how many days, exactly? What were we supposed to buy you?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
LT, what brought that on?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"Thou Shalt not Kill"
Wars started in the name of God and Christianity/other religions.

You are quoting a mistranslation.   the proper translation is

Thou shall not Murder
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Thou Shalt not Kill"
Wars started in the name of God and Christianity/other religions.

"Thou shall not steal"
On a large scale, how many countries with local inhabitants have been claimed by other countries. Not to mention claiming a land in the name of their God.

"Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
Politicians....need I say more.

We can go on. Man has basically taken religion and turned it to suit his needs. This is why I HATE BIBLE THUMPING ASSHOLE FANATICS. Always meddling with, "God says this, God said that!!!" I say fuck you and fuck off!!! When was the last time you actually spoke to God face to face??? If you're talking about the bible, I too have read it. We could probably read the same exact book and come up with different interpretions. That is why there are hundreds of religions derived from one bible. You fucking moron!!! Protestants, Church of Latter Day Saints, Jehovahs Witness, 7th Day Adventist, Greek Orthodox, Catholics.ETC. They all have their interpretation of the bible. We've all read The Bourne Identity. How many of us saw the character Jason Bourne to be the spitting image of Matt Damon??? Anyone....

I do believe that there is a higher power that created this universe and us. I do beleive that HE/SHE has a plan for us. For us to guess that plan and interpret what is good or bad for others is just way out of bounds in my book. For anyone to impose ones beliefs on society and individuals is out of line. That is why I also hate Muslim Extremist (not all Muslims). I am ashamed of being Catholic cause of its heritage and the blood that was shed in the name of the Catholic church. That is the MAIN reason I am not a practicing Catholic.

I do not believe that by going to church on a regular basis, you can be absolved of sins. Or will it grant you some sort of special pass. I believe that by knowing your faith and believing in it. That will be enough. I do not believe that there is salvation for everyone cause they are "religious" and ask for forgiveness. Some people are just that bad.

My family is very religious. I went to Catholic school up until I graduated Jr High. Until then I went the whole nine yards with Bible study and Sunday school. Even back then I realized the hypocratic nature of what was being taught. More of do as I say. But if you stray, "that's OK. Just blame it on evil and say 50 Hail Mary's." Also the ole, "Oh I would never do that its wrong. Well....not in public anyways." There is also the, "I don't do it often so its OK" Lastly, "I have religion and I would never do that so it must be wrong"

There is so much hypocrisy in religion, I really think we are no longer going on the path. We have fallen off and just making it up. Every now and again we look at the playbook and edit what it says to get our way. There are religions that take the bible to literal. There are religions that take the bible and revise it. There are religions that basically say, "Well I know it says that, but what its really trying to say is this." I mean WTF are these yahoos thinking.

Bottomline.....BULLSHIT!!! Quit fucking hiding behind religion!!! Embrace your true self.

Preach it brother.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No SHit!  You know better than this LT!  You are comparing ideals to actions.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Shame shame ,just because man screws up God's word does not mean God like it that way. Men were not made perfect , and blasphemy gets you nowhere here or after.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Your top post makes a sweeping generalization of all religions.

Start Small.

Pick any reformed church, and ask them how they feel about Catholics.  Go to a Catholic church, and ask them what they think about reformed churches.

Now, for extra fun, become a member of a reformed church.  THEN, go to a DIFFERENT "flavor" of a reformed church, and ask what is wrong with the reformed church you are already a member of.  Also do the inverse, ask the pastor of the reformed church you joined to detail thoughts on the church you are "thinking about switching to".

I got MANY more, such as the towns around that have churches that completely ban drinking, all the members are in bars 50 miles away, basically, the congregation is the same, but 50 miles away on the weekends, less the pastor.  Oh, but don't tell, or don't call them hypocrites, for you will surely go to hell.

brass(TheIhavebeenamemberofsixchristianreligionsandtwoothersplusacatholicsodontfuckwithmeonthisone)pile
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Oooooookay....

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We missed your 15th birthday by how many days, exactly? What were we supposed to buy you?

Its coming up in Aug. You owe me a pony.

Hate to disappoint, but I will kick in for a turtleneck, a beret, a cafe-presse, and a pack of galouises.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Living in what is called "The Bible Belt" finally made me snap. Much like Brasspile post above, people say one thing, impose it on people and do another. All in the name of religion.

The bible belt thing pushes me too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Living in what is called "The Bible Belt" finally made me snap. Much like Brasspile post above, people say one thing, impose it on people and do another. All in the name of religion.

Hypocrytes are nothing new...

A good portion of Jesus' time here was spent dealing with them...

My perspective may be different from most, as my introduction to Christiantity was outside of and not affiliated with any perticular denomination or 'church' (they're not really different religeons, but rather sects of the same one).

As such, I've never really experienced any of the stuff you & LT complain about, athough I know it (unfortunately) exists... I could go into a long post/speech on freedom (Biblical) vs legalisim (hypocritical) as it applies to Christiantity, but suffice it to say that people are drawn to legalistic structures (weather they be religeous or political) because of living in such a framework doesn't demand the personal responsibility that comes with freedom. The *correct* Christian view is that Christ's death set us free, and we are now responsible TO HIM for how we use that freedom (our actions & how we represent him). This is not a 'license to kill' (or commit any other sin), for the reasons mentioned above. However, it is a guard against 'I'm better than you are' hypocricy, since your sins are a matter between you & God, not something for you to compare 'sin cards' with your peers & see who's 'holier' than the others.

The *distorted* view falls back to almost pharasaic legalisim, which INEVITABLY leads to hypocricy as people pick apart fellow believers for their offenses against the contrived 'code' from a position of self-righteous false-piety, while conveniently ignoring their own sins. It's the same problem addressed in the NT, both by Jesus when dealing with the 'teachers of the law' & Paul vs the Judaizers (see Galatians).
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
From my experience ultra religous holier than though born again christians are the worse, they seem to have no problem with screwing , robbing , cheating and just being immoral turds etc to other lesser than themselves christians or heathens . No better than Muslim fanatics IMB.  

" Christian brotherhood ? ............Just ask a Cathar ! "
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Several of you are painting with a pretty broad brush, but that's probably because the people who annoy you are the ones that get your attention.  Also, citing the extreme stereotype of the "Bible thumper" as being the norm helps you justify what you are saying.

In balance, there are so many Christians who do try to live a life consistent with what they profess.  Granted, we usually come up short because we are imperfect people trying to follow a higher standard, but in spite of our mistakes we pick ourselves up and press on toward the goal.

Also, we have a number of Christians here on this board who will enthusuastically share their faith with anyone who is interested, but not much "shoving the Bible down your throat."

So, I can understand your frustration.  I've known it myself, both before and after becoming a Christian.  

All I'm saying is don't let a few people sour you on all of us.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Well said, Brohawk, as usual.

Lordtrader, let me ask you this, please.

I am a Christian.  Many call me a Bible Thumper.

How have I ever offended you?  Have I ever "imposed (my) beliefs on society and individuals" that you can think of?  Have I ever forced my beliefs on you?

If not, then why lump all Evangelical Christians into one group.

And, how can you call folks like Brohawk and myself, that freely admit that we are sinners and sin every day, "hypocrits"?  If I said that I was perfect in all my actions and that you weren't nearly as good as me, you might have a case.

But I freely admit that I am "chiefest of sinners".  I am saved not because of who I am, but because of Who Jesus is.

You are angry at the wrong people, my friend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#20]
LT....Did they come knocking on your door again?

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You know better than this LT!  You are comparing ideals to actions.

SGtar15

EXACTLY.

A stated principle, teaching or doctrine CANNOT of itself be hypocritical.

Only PEOPLE can be hypocritical.

Newsflash, LT - LOTS of people have used LOTS of things to deceive people into getting what they want.

Like guns. People use guns to rob banks. Does that make the gun evil?

No. And neither are misued ideals.

Know why? Cuz they are MISUSED.

PEOPLE are evil. NOT ideals or inanimate objects.

Sad how much Liberal ideology has infected even supposed "conservatives."

Thank your local public school system.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#22]
What i find funny is people who read a VERY small section of the bible and think they know all there is to know. I will only address the "Thou Shalt not Kill" portion. As has already been pointed out its something of a debatable translation. But, lets pretend it isnt. If you wouldhave BOTHERED to actually research things before espousing your bullshit theories you would have seen that soon after your quoted passage the bible goes on to list a NUMBER of cases in which killing your fellow man is A-OK. Of course you couldnt even for a moment call your OWN misbegotten beliefs into question and actually examine the issue with an open mind.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#23]
God and religion is like the boogie man...made up scare people into following/serving a person or ideal and to try to bleed you dry.....

Believe what you want...don't try to force crap on me...and stop ringing my fucking doorbell...I'm not looking for god, I don't need your so-called god...

And if I hear one more time that 9/11 was part of god's plan...I'm gonna split a skull...

If that's the case, and if he was real...then he's guilty of pre-meditated MURDER.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#24]
You've gone and done it now. The Department of Religious Right Homeland Defense will be along shortly to dispose of you and your dissenting questions.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
God and religion is like the boogie man...made up scare people into following/serving a person or ideal and to try to bleed you dry.....

Well, that part has been a ringing success, hasn't it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I do believe this is the first time I have seen LT in a true rant.  Oh, I know he has had a few musings with work and wimmenz, but I do think this is his first true RANT!

Have I EVER imposed MY beliefs on you?  Have I EVER cast judgement on you?

LT, I'll see you at Sunday School!

D(JesusIsMySaviour)Peacher

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Here..where I live...YES it has...I see the glassy eyed heading down my street to their "church"  every Wendsday and Sunday......
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Would somebody please get LT laid? He is getting very uptight.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Would somebody please get LT laid? He is getting very uptight.

I'm guessing he lives near a church...which he believes is interfering with his social life.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

And if I hear one more time that 9/11 was part of god's plan...I'm gonna split a skull...

If that's the case, and if he was real...then he's guilty of pre-meditated MURDER.....

Now there's an interesting juxtaposition...threatening murder while simulataneously accusing Someone else of murder.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Insults proferred to people who have a religious affiliation
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#33]
edits needed
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#34]
A few bad apples can utterly destroy all semblances of credibility and effectivly negate all good efforts and intentions of those who would truly intend to help others.

Sounds familliar...

========================
us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040510/capt.sge.ore35.100504073415.photo01.default-255x384.jpg
An Islamic protester holds a poster of a photograph of the apparent humiliation of an Iraqi prisoner in Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad during a demonstration at the weekend against the US occupation of Iraq (news - web sites) in Istanbul. Thousands of people demonstrated to protest reported torture of Iraqi detainees by US soldiers(AFP/Cem Turkel)

wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2003/11/13/image583387x.jpg
AP) A Florida man was on the brink of carrying out plans to bomb abortion clinics after casing targets, studying bomb-making and buying material that could be used in an attack, according to the FBI and court documents. Stephen John Jordi, right, suspected of planning to bomb abortion clinics, is taken into custody Tuesday evening in Miami Beach, Fla. (Photo: AP)
==============================================

If you believe in evil, the devil, or whatever..... this is how he/it works.

-LS
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Trolling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top