Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 5:49:15 PM EDT
First Trial Date Set in Iraqi Prisoner Abuse Fox News

Sunday, May 09, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq — Stung by a worldwide outcry, the U.S. military Sunday announced the first court-martial in the Abu Ghraib (search) prisoner abuse allegations, ordering a reservist to face a public trial in Baghdad on May 19.

Spc. Jeremy C. Sivits of Hyndman, Pa., a member of the 372nd Military Police Company, will face a military court less than a month after photos of prisoners being abused and humiliated were first broadcast April 28.

Both the speed of the trial's scheduling and the venue in the Iraqi capital underscore the military's realization that it must demonstrate resolve in prosecuting those responsible for a scandal that threatens to undermine the U.S. mission in Iraq and President Bush's re-election chances.

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, announcing the trial date, said the proceedings would be held in the Baghdad Convention Center, which houses the coalition press office, and be open to media coverage.

Bush promised Saturday that "we will learn all the facts and determine the full extent of these abuses. Those involved will be identified. They will answer for their actions."

Sivits is one of seven soldiers facing charges but appears to be a lesser figure in the case. Some of the others will likely face a general court martial, which can give more severe punishments than the "special" court martial that will try Sivits. His trial could produce evidence for prosecuting others believed more culpable.

Sivits is believed to have taken some of the photos that triggered the scandal. His father, Daniel Sivits, said last month his son "was told to take a picture, and he did what he was told." He said his son trained as a mechanic but found himself performing military police work for which he was unqualified.

The family said it had no comment Sunday morning.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The more of these pictures that I see, the more I'm ready to hang every last one of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My main complaint with this issue is that they got caught and took pics.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't heard any more about what Gen. Kimmet said the other day that all these Courts-Martial will be Televised!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Security seems to be a oxy-moron if they allowed cameras where the prisoners are.

I hope he coughs up the rest of the photos and videos so the Military can lock them into evidence.
Then I hope they fry him and the other fucktards for being a dumbasses.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure the photo takers are really on the moral high ground.  Many of the pictures just have nothing to do with abuse because there is no context.  

What if pictures of the Atom bomb and it's testing were published before Hiroshima,  claiming we were about to do something immoral.  Might have made it difficult to act.  It WAS difficult enough for Truman to give the order.  What if the knowledge that we only had two ready had made it out?  Nowadays the papers would call them "whistle-blowers".

Showing the public the brutal and not very PC side of war is a recipe for disaster, especially when it is an unbalanced one that is not high-lighting the positive events and herosim.   Our desire is to leave Iraq ASAP but this stuff will possibly make it more difficult to accomplish the mission first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top