Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 2:19:09 AM EDT
I see  people posting really good closeup photos of thier guns. I assume it takes a digital camera to do this. What features do I look for in buying such a camera to take good digital gun photos (allowing for  good close ups). And how much should I expect to spend? Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Get whatever camera works with your budget.

I use an old 2 megapixel camera and get fine results.

One feature you may want to look for is a focus that will adjust for close shots.

The most important thing when taking picture of firearms is light.
You need to get outside during the day. The best thing to have is indirect sunlight.

I usually take pictures next to the east side of the house in the afternoon. The house casts just enough of a shadow to give really good light.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Found this somewhere here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
A digicam in the 3-5 Megapixel range will work just fine for what you want to do.

shopper.cnet.com/digital_cameras/4007-6501_9-0.html?tag=shfd.dir

Try to stick to the name brands like Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Minolta, and Sony.

I am particular to Canon and have several Canon cameras.  The Powershot line is a good line of digicams.  Try to buy over the net as you can usually save $100 or so versus buying at a retail store.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Contrast is key.  You need the background to contrast, not too much though, with the gun itself.

You also want a camera with a macro mode that will let you take closeups.  My Cannon digital Elph has a still-life button that lets you take awesome closeups indoors.  It reduces the flash as well to compensate for taking a closeup.

As with all things photographic, take more than one shot.  When I was big into black & white 35mm photography, I'd take a whole roll and only come out with maybe one great shot.  Change the settings between shots; flash on/off, macro on/off, zoom in/out (you can always crop it later on the computer, and you'd be amazed at what zooming out can do to your light meter), etc.

This picture was taken indoors, with the "stil life" mode on, using the flash.  I think the detail is pretty damn amazing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
spray em with wd40 makes em show up
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Most "entry level" digitial cameras have autofocus.  That will screw you all up, unless there's an override for "macro" or closeup shots.  Once you set it to macro, you'll see really good results.

Edit:  Here's a shot into a rifle "bore" that I took, then converted to greyscale for space savings:

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
You need an exotic name like "Ichiro" or "Oleg"

Seriously though, I would like to start doing this for my own enjoyment as well. I've got a nice digital camera, a tripod, and some Halogen work lights that will work for at least a start. I also have some colored gels and a nice backdrop. Some day I'll get to setting up a nice diorama going and I'll try the Nagata thing myself. If it turns out good, heck, I might try to do it as a sideline for $$$ (for magazines, there are so many). I'm sure so many people do this that it would be near impossible to break in.

jim
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Get some Hot chicks with guns to pose for you and we here at ARFCOM will give a very detailed critique  on your choice of  lighting, proper angle, and focus!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I see  people posting really good closeup photos of thier guns. I assume it takes a digital camera to do this. What features do I look for in buying such a camera to take good digital gun photos (allowing for  good close ups). And how much should I expect to spend? Thanks for any replies.

It has nothing to do with this.  In fact, I could /probably/ take better pictures than 90% of the consumer digitals out there with my 20+ year old Nikon FM.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Canon Digital Rebel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you want to wait for Walmart or 1 Hour Photo to develop your pictures or unless you have a development lab at home then digital is the way to go.

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has nothing to do with this.  In fact, I could /probably/ take better pictures than 90% of the consumer digitals out there with my 20+ year old Nikon FM.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#12]
eBay - Canon Digital Rebel

Digital SLR is the only way to go for good photos IMHO.

That being said, I shoot with a Canon Rebel 35mm... because A) Can't afford $900 for a camera right now, and B) I'm gonna be putting together a dark room in one of my bathrooms soon!

My wife's 4megapixel Canon Elf takes really good pictures too... ~$400 just not the versitility of an SLR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top