Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 2:38:43 PM EDT
Announced today that Britain is sending another 4,000 troops to Iraq, including my bros in the Royal Marines, so had a trawl though the Press Archives at work and put this collection together.  Now that it looks like its the US and Brits are being abandoned by our fairweather friends (Spain… and others) here are some photos from the last year in the Sandbox…and other places along with our friends.

Zeroing the heavy stuff before the start of Iraqi Freedom

US and Royal Marines in Umm Qasr

Sea Knights lifting British Marines into assault on Al Faw

You keep your humvees! we get these to play with!

Patrol in the oil field… Iraqi Freedom

Britsih Marine Sniper in Basrah

British Challenger II tank in Basrah…

Range practice before Iraqi Freedom… Royal Marines like LOTS of firepower, 6 Landrovers, 24 guys, 18 GPMG's (M240) and 6 SA80's

Royal Marine patrol in Oman… M16's… Marines have lots of these.

Royal Marine…

Royal Marines patrol… yet again M16's

Royal Marine on patrol with 82nd Airborne in Balkans

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome pics!  Thanks Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Thank your bro for me for his service!

Damn  love the SA80! Vito, can you find a de-watt SA80 for me?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank your bro for me for his service!

Damn  love the SA80! Vito, can you find a de-watt SA80 for me?[/quote

de-watt ~ deactivated/demilled?  Can do but they are expensive and hard to get hold of. SA80A2 works fine now, no more jams, still can't shoot the sucker tho I'm a lefty, thank god for the M16…

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
WOW! That is f'cking Cool!
Friends in need, are friends indeed!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A very competent and capable military.  And a long martial heritage.  Britain has a lot to be proud of.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Great shots, thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
How come these Royal Marines don't wear helmets?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome pics.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice pics
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats with the teddy bear on the tank ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
because helmets are largely a waste of time
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Those pics kic arse!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
... I see I'm gonna need to partition my HD for all the ARFCOM photos alone!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll add one that's been sitting on my server for a year.

A big "Thumbs Up" for our British friends that still understand what this war is about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How come these Royal Marines don't wear helmets?

It's a macho thing. The Green Beret is very hard to win, very hard. So when you get it you always want to show it. The only thing a Royal Marine really repects is anyone Airborne and the USMC. They only put on the kevlar when it gets very hairy with with lots of shrapnel and stuff.

Airborne wear Red Berets, Marines wear Green, Helo pilots wear light blue, and SAS wear tan. The rest of the army wears brown caps or black berets and hence are always refered to as 'crap hats' by the elite guys.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the Brit Military issuing both the M16 and SA80?

Neat pic of those Barret M8A2s.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Because if you hit them in the head nothing  err never mind

It's a trade-off between hearing more and looking studly against ballistic protection.

They had several TV news articles at the beginning of the Afghan discussion and they took videos at Bridgeport (USMC Mountain Warfare Center, most of the "trainees"  were Royal Marines and Norwegian Marines  a little tuning up at 8000 ft.???

The bear is so the bg turns and is looking at it for the picture or bullet (whichever ).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Standard issue to line units is the SA80A2, however most light units can draw M16/M4's (or Diemaco C7/C8's) as required. SAS/SBS of course, Marines draw them a lot as do the Gurkhas (cos their little guys and the M16's are more their size). Mil just bought a large quanity of Diemaco C8's for SAS/SBS and Marines to replace the older M16's.

Barret is rather popular, big b**stard though!

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Whats with the teddy bear on the tank ?

It's a 'British' thing. . Truck drivers stick bears as mascots on their front bumpers, tank drivers like to do the same.

ANdy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Standard issue to line units is the SA80A2, however most light units can draw M16/M4's (or Diemaco C7/C8's) as required. SAS/SBS of course, Marines draw them a lot as do the Gurkhas (cos their little guys and the M16's are more their size). Mil just bought a large quanity of Diemaco C8's for SAS/SBS and Marines to replace the older M16's.

Barret is rather popular, big b**stard though!

Andy

Checked out the Barrett web site, there is an interesting 10 second video(be sure to turn the sound down a tad).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#21]
The British Royal Marines are some bad mofos.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#22]
And this one… everything you've heard about British Officers is true, this is a Guards Officer

Yes, that is a deck chair he's sitting in and they've stopped for tea in the middle of a war. All British armour is fitted with a 1 quart water boiler so they have hot water on demand

Also, check out the reactive armour fitted to the front and sides of the Warrior, makes them pretty invulnerable to RPG's. Challenger Main Battle tanks are also fitted with heavy reactive armour skirts in combat too.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#23]
USMC and Royal Marines - outfuckingstanding.

Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
USMC and Royal Marines - outfuckingstanding.

Semper Fidelis.

USMC and Royal Marines… blood brothers since the the Chosin Reservoir

Andy
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All British armour is fitted with a 1 quart water boiler so they have hot water on demand

LOL, that's priceless, I love it.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All British armour is fitted with a 1 quart water boiler so they have hot water on demand

LOL, that's priceless, I love it.  

yeah, but I like the Israeli Merkava, AC and a water chiller with a tap in the turret!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
nice..........
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#28]
i fucking love the british. that lone royal marine sniper picks stands out as particularly awesome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for sharing the pics vito113

couldn't think of a better country to team up with to get a hard job done.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Those are some great pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Those work great, from what I remember. We shared a motorpool with a Brit artillery unit when we'd go to Grafenwoehr. They were
equipped with Abbots, FV432's and Ferrets. They had the heaters mounted on the rear troop hatch of the 432s, ISTR.

We'd go out in the motorpool in the morning to do PMs on our vehicles, your guys would heat up their water for their tea, and
then they'd heat us some water to make some instant oatmeal. (Chow at Graf was usually pretty scary!)

We traded gear with them too - they didn't have wet weather gear worth a damn, and I got a fieldjacket out of it. (DPMS
pattern, I think is what they call it....)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I've always had a warm spot in my cold, cold heart for Her Majesty's Royal Marines.

Semper Fi, Andy!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've always had a warm spot in my cold, cold heart for Her Majesty's Royal Marines.

Semper Fi, Andy!

Thank you… we have the greatest of respect for the USMC too…
and I'd like to second the message on this young Marines helmet.

USMC  and Royal Marine snipers take position near Um Qasr

US Marine stands guard as British Landing ship enters port of Um Qasr

Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top