Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 8:15:10 AM EDT
I picked up a interceptor type vest last night . It has no kevlar or plates in it. Can I just buy two stand alone 10x12 plates and be good to go. I see them on ebay but theres several different brands out there. And some are made out of different material. I am new to  body armor so I could really use some help here. I see the plates ranging from $150 - $200 for each plate. Is this a good price range.
Thanks
Brian
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
One piece of advice: don't buy the stolen government plates or you might get a bonus visit from the feds - they have been very aggressively pursuing this matter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Who did you get this vest from?

And be very careful of the plates on e-Bay.  A USMC supply sergeant is going to leven worth for stealing something like 800 of them and selling them to the public. Because they are in short supply-really short supply, cost is no object, the manufacturer cant make enough- the FBI IS hunting them down and arresting owners for receiving stolen property.

Other than that. If your vest isn't hot you should buy the best plates you can afford. If you get stand alone plates and put them in the vest pockets you are good to go. "Stand Alone Plate" means just that they will stop their rated rounds even if you just take it out and sit it against a rock. Plates not marked stand alone will require the vest behind it to help, the rated rounds may penetrate the plate but they will take enough energy out of the bullet that it will be caught in the kevlar vest behind it and not penetrate all the way through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top