Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/29/2021 2:25:24 PM EDT
I mean on your own, Laura ingalls/Beverly hillbillies style not your employer has an opportunity for you there or the military sent you.  Pack up the family and your crap and go start again.

I've started a couple of threads related to this, but I'm interested in hearing stories from others who have gone before.

I'm in a position where I can sell my house and go start again somewhere else and buy a home and some property for 1/2-2/3 of what I'd walk away from my house with.

This sounds like a great opportunity to me but my family has been here for 4+ generations.  I have no close family anywhere else, so we're pretty unfamiliar with most of the affordable places.

Let's hear some stories!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
New Mexico, temporarily, when I was in sixth grade.  It was a shock and an eye-opener.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Multiple times. Starting when I was 18.

Always landed on my feet, because I aggressively went after employment and often had a job before I had a place to live, went hungry, worked hard, and built what I needed one way or another.

The 90's, "a different time" lol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New Mexico, temporarily, when I was in sixth grade.  It was a shock and an eye-opener.
View Quote

But you were a child.  You had literally nothing to worry about.

I'm sure it was an adventure, but your parents probably took care of the important stuff. Lol

I'm trying to get my head around the idea.

Being financially square (zero debt plus money in the bank and a retirement account) sounds like a great opportunity to be able to try to be self employed and spend time at home and kind of do some self discovery. I haven't had more than ~15 days away from work since I was a teenager and I'm flirting with 40.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Several times, usually due to business. The stories would fill a large novel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
18 years ago, wife and I wanted out of CT rfn, so started looking for a job nationwide, but ended up taking a position
from an old friend in MA, so moved to our current location in NH without any knowledge of the area at all.
I closed on our house before I even saw it in person.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Multiple times. Starting when I was 18.

Always landed on my feet, because I aggressively went after employment and often had a job before I had a place to live, went hungry, worked hard, and built what I needed one way or another.

The 90's, "a different time" lol.
View Quote

Quoted:
Several times, usually due to business. The stories would fill a large novel.
View Quote

Let's hear about some of them!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep,moved from Indiana to small community in Montana.
We never had any problems and had friends almost immediately......
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
18 years ago, wife and I wanted out of CT rfn, so started looking for a job nationwide, but ended up taking a position
from an old friend in MA, so moved to our current location in NH without any knowledge of the area at all.
I closed on our house before I even saw it in person.
View Quote

This is kind of what I'm talking about.

I almost have too many options, making it difficult to pick a direction though.

The biggest hang-up is that I have it in my mind that I won't be able to get back into something similar to my position now if I need to.  I couldn't afford a house in my area if I had to buy one right now.

I'm pretty handy when it comes to repairing buildings and my wife and I are both experienced in fields that are pretty universal, but don't necessarily pay a lot.

Not needing a lot of money to get by every month opens up a lot of opportunities, it would seem.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep,moved from Indiana to small community in Montana.
We never had any problems and had friends almost immediately......
View Quote

How'd you do it?

I'm getting to the point where I am going to have to pick a direction and just start taking steps.

That first step is a big one though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I once moved from western Illinois to Eastern Iowa. About 50 miles
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But you were a child.  You had literally nothing to worry about....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you were a child.  You had literally nothing to worry about....

Other than the fact that the school was a full year behind where I came from in almost every subject, and I got teased relentlessly because of the fact that I was the only kid out of about 60 who wore glasses (even though a bunch of others obviously needed them.)  Also the way my voice sounded, and that I was raised Presbyterian rather than Southern Baptist.  And that my parents were split between Nixon and Humphrey for President, in a town where about half of the kids were from families that supported George Wallace before he renounced segregation - Literally NOBODY in my home town in California would cop to that.  Many of the kids lived on small ranches.

Other than that, it was an interesting and enlightening experience.  My teacher Miss Benson was actually the best basic English teacher I ever had.  She taught us how to properly structure and parse sentences, even basic writing concepts like case agreement and parallelism.  ETA but the teachers still used corporal punishment, which had been outlawed in California in 1962 or 63.

BTW it was Alamogordo.  I'm sure things would have been a lot less alien to me in Alburqueque.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Miami ‘85 from L.A. for law school.

My uncle lives in Boca Raton, but I didn't know him all that well.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#13]
To start my doctorate in Texas and then finish it in Florida. Knew zero people and nothing about the areas
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Twice to areas I didn't know anyone at all. But it was business and it was just a year.
Just resume builders.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I took a job in Georgia last year. Moved the family without prior knowledge of what we were getting into.

Has been interesting
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Sort of, not really.  I knew 1 person here, visited him over Christmas, he said "hey my work is hiring, you want an interview?", they offered me the job, I told them "Give me a few weeks," and the appartment where my buddy rented had an opening a week before I started the job.  It all seems pretty easy in retrospect, but that didn't stop me from stressing the fuck out about it at the time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Let's hear about some of them!
View Quote

I put some small shit in an old pickup truck and headed out. Looked at phonebooks in phonebooths for how many companies there were in whatever area for the trades I knew how to work in. If there were a lot, I bought newspapers and called classified ads from the same phonebooth until somebody told me to come to their shop. Several times I started working that same day. I talked shit, maybe couldn't back it all up, but I plowed through by being tough as fuck and impossible to run off or burn out.

Now I'm the fucking man.

When I grew up, a boy had to go out and be a man, or fucking turn into a piece of shit and/or fucking die.

Farm kid.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Moved from KY to WY eight years ago. Semi-retirement negated the need to find work and now when I do need to work it's just a travel situation. Work is getting less and less frequent.

We love WY. Had scouted the state for a couple of years and put the KY house up for sale. Had an offer in a few weeks and accepted it. Pressure was on to decide if we were moving to the Mountain West or not. Made a frantic last trip out to make a final decision and decided 'Let's do it.'

Sold the KY house on a Monday, crossed into WY on Wednesday with two vehicles, two trailers and the bulk of our possessions in storage in KY. Arrived in WY homeless and lived in a hotel for several weeks, found a month to month rental home and closed on our new home with acreage three months later.

Now, I hate traveling back east of the Mississippi River.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a job when we moved to CO, but that’s it. It’s been great so far.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
3 times. Once to florida, once to Texas, and last year to Georgia.

it's not rocket surgery. look up the area, find out if it's something you might be into, and any market research you may need.

Florida was for school that I was starting 6 months later. Got there and the apartment was in the ghetto and I had no job. Walked into a restaurant cause the hostess was hot, hit on her, got an application, only got the job . Made it work

Then for work in Dallas. I had never been. Looked into what they were paying me, cost of housing, if there was shit I liked in the area, and said fuck it. Moved with about 3 months notice.

Then last year I got offered a job in Georgia. didn't fly for an interview, had never seen the town, etc. Looked up school districts, price of homes, things to do, etc. I accepted the job and had 28 days to get there. Old office was destroyed by a tornado 4 days before I left, so I ended up making the right move without having any idea!

Worked on packing up the house as much as I could but the wife and babies stayed back to sell it and then move. I was in temporary work housing in a shit apartment complex and shopping for houses and exploring areas every free minute. It was tough. Moved family into a less shitty apartment and we all went house shopping. we were together by christmas, so that's what mattered.

Figured out the balance of what was important to our family (good schools, larger house in a nice neighborhood, reasonable commute, cost of living, etc). I like my job way more than the old one, the cost of living is stupid cheap compared to where we were, and we are much happier. Traded 1600 square feet for 4400. No outdoor access to living in a national park. $2500 a month day care to $900. My taxes are 1/3 what they were and my pay is ~50% better. It was a shit-tastic couple of months but was absolutely worth doing.

If you don't do something big you'll never get big rewards. PM if you want specifics or more story.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Doing it next month.  Wife and I hate what AZ has / is becoming.  We looked at a number of states regarding taxes and cost of living.  Looked at what we could get with our money.  

We are supposed to close next month on 200 acres in TN.  Don't know anyone there and never set foot in the state other than pulling off of the interstate to get gas when driving.  We looked at tons of places online.  Flew over and looked at several with a RE agent.  Made an offer and here we are.

We told our kids they can come out and check out the area, research jobs etc.  We even offered to help them move if they want to leave AZ.

It's a bit unnerving going to a new place with no knowledge of the area and no friends but whatever.  Jump - both feet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
2002 I packed up my 1999 Plymouth Neon with all of my belonging and moved to Aurora Colorado where I lived until 2005. I knew no one. Had the best time living in Colorado back then.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#23]
NYC to rural PA five years ago. No family, friends or acquaintances in PA. New neighbors and entire neighborhood (Heavily Republican area) nearly shit the bed when they saw cars with New Yawwk plates pull into the driveway and driving about town. Made for some very awkward introductions. Wasn't until I started asking about pistol permits, shooting on my land, suppressors, SBRs etc. that they finally started to realize why I escaped NYC and had zero desire to bring NYC's nanny state communist politics with me. Didn't take long before I became great friends with all my neighbors.... Best decision I ever made.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Just did it a few months back.  (i'm an old Gen X for age, no kids, but married)

I used to live in colorado.  Colorado has gone insane.  (still is).  I don't mean prices, i mean mentally  They are big into the lockdown and the BLM shit.   it's a small state so nationally no one cares.   I had a nice place, lived there for 18 years (and was born not far away), the metro area.     Wife has been working from home since march (you know for 2 weeks).   Tried to get permission to do it permanently but "we'll reevaluate when we come back to work"   This was July.  

Thought about it and said I DON'T CARE, WE'RE LEAVING.  

found a place in a different state couple hours away, small town (30k) that i had basically been to 3 or 4 times for work, we came up to look at houses and around the town and decided to go.     Know nobody.   Checked the weather, taxes, housing, etc and bought a house and sold mine.

Still don't really know anyone because A.  it's winter and cold and no one is outside" and B.  even here some people are Karen's.  

some things are much cheaper, some things are more expensive.  But it's not insane here and i'm off the main interstates.   (which is both good and bad).

I dunno if ti's the right move or not, but i hated what colorado had/has become.

Also it's REALLY NICE not having a mortgage payment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
As an adult, no.

Was moved cross country halfway through HS. That initially sucked bad but I eventually found my place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I've done it a few times.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife and I moved to Virginia from NYC, knowing no one, rented a house sight unseen, no jobs--found them within weeks of moving here and started a business 2 years later. It's not easy, but definitely not impossible.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm fixin to shortly.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Navy brat did it regularly until my dad retired.
Traveled a lot for the railroad and took a state job and moved to different areas a few times
Sometimes it worked out other times it did not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
When we could retire we knew we'd have to leave CA due to cost of living and not fitting in politically.  Mrs. Leakster had visited Prescott, AZ as a teenager and suggested we check it out as a retirement destination.  We visited twice as tourists and decided to give it a shot.  At retirement our house sold quickly and we were suddenly unemployed and homeless.  The smartest thing we did was to sign a one-year lease to give us an out in case the town or the climate wasn't working out.  We knew we wanted to stay after a few months and we spent the rest of the year exploring neighborhoods and getting a feel for the real estate market.  We paid cash for our choice and we loved that house.  In order to meet people we joined a local church and started taking adult ed classes at the local community college - we found some really fun cooking classes and made friends right away.

As far as advice - I would look at climate first.  If that's wrong for you you're not going to be happy.  Decide if you want urban and how urban or rural and how rural.  Take at least one trip as a tourist and pay attention to parts of town and the general attitudes you see.  Our experiences have been pretty much all positive - you can do this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Did that 3 times growing up. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]
We just did, for the second time.

First time, we moved from Shitaly to CA. That was a shit move, but we didn't know better. I was born here in the US but grew up abroad and didn't know anything about current US situation.

From scratch, wife and I - plus two kids - we moved from Rome to San Diego.
Spent six years in San Diego, building our life from scratch - then figured out couldn't stay in CA and three months ago we moved to FL - from scratch.

And we're loving it. Found a great community, new friends, great school.

It can be done, if you are prepared to
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Twice. Almost three times.

I was born in L.A. The best thing that ever happened to me was when I became kind of independent moving to San Francisco... 400 miles away from my family "training wheels." Then another move to Buffalo. Finally a brief stay in Atlanta (learned some biochem techniques). It's a good way to  grow-up (at least, for someone like me).
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Kansas. Moved here last NOV.

Before that 15 years ago to Idaho.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#35]
We've debated the same OP, interesting thread.
We have about 5 really close families (and about 4 others that come to our big parties) here that are ALL conservative patriots, along with 3 sets of parents that are conservative as well. We workout together, vacation together, spend weekends together - it works really well.
I'm pretty much surrounded by all like-minded folks. And these folks have kids, who are all my kids' best friends. I put my son in a Christian private school - his class had 15 Trump votes and 1 biden.
Even though we live in shit-hole WA (thankfully I'm more in the country on acreage), I'm not sure I could pick-up at 39 years old and re-build such a great base of friends. I actually think it would be impossible.
It's a really hard decision. My business is in SEA and PDX, which makes it even harder, almost impossible.
Good luck on your ventures!

I would like to hear more about folks that have picked up and moved, and how they were welcomed into the new community, and if they were able to rebuild a trustable friend base. Rather than "Yea, done it 5 times".
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
It’s called transfer season in the military
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#37]
6 times?

You just kinda work your way into it
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup , moved to OK with nothing and no family
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in that situation now. Met some decent people at Emu arf shoots but they are 1.5 hours away. I know there's like minded people in my area, it supports 5 big gun shops.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm fixin to shortly.
View Quote

Care to share the details?

Quoted:
Did that 3 times growing up. No thanks.
View Quote

I think part of my hang-up is this. I had a very unstable childhood up until I was about 10.

I've built a fairly stable and secure life as an adult, so I'm having a hard time wanting to shake that up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Did it every 2-3 years for a quarter century.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife and I have done it many, many times. Saved some money, quit our jobs, moved to where we thought we wanted to live, didn't know a single person there, figured things out. Not situations where "my job was moving me/the military was moving me/etc" - we just bounced because we wanted to.

Why so many times?

Because sometimes it doesn't work out...either the new place isn't everything you thought it would be, or you realize that a certain level of job satisfaction and income, though not everything, does actually matter.

We landed in our current locale doing the same shit. This time it worked. We're home.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Moved from TX to WI for a job in my mid 20s.  My parents helped me drive up and find an apartment close to the job.  Then they cut me a check to help me get started and left.  I'm sure it was harder for them than it was for me.  I had a good paying job waiting for me already, so there wasn't any risk of being on the street.  It was a few weeks before I made any friends at work.  I spent the first few weeks just staying in my apartment, playing video games, and watching TV.  Then I went out and bought my first pistol and found a shooting range.  It was an interesting time of my life.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Kansas. Moved here last NOV.

Before that 15 years ago to Idaho.
View Quote

I was barely four years old when we moved OUT of Kansas to California.  Back then it made sense in a lot of ways.  If I lived in Kansas now I would not make the same move.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Wife and I are planning on just picking a conservative state on the map and doing it.  Should be there a year or 2 from now! We are in our mid-60's and don't have  a job or family obligations to hold us back. The 55 year old prepper across the street is thinking of moving himself wife, and 14 yo son to Oklahoma on a whim to have acreage and be safe from civil unrest. Wife and I picked up when I was 25yo and moved the hell out of a NE lib city I was raised in and I hated. We just simply picked Texas as the place to be 42 years ago. I'm still here. Texas is OK, but turning purple, and now we want to move out to a more red state without big blue cities that will drag it down. Yea, folks do it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#46]
2003 loaded up my bed,dog,and a couch and relocated to my current location solo with first month paid and 500 bucks.Did not know one person here.Ready to do it again,with the family and assets.Easier because I just had myself to worry about. If you can have a better life due to the cost of living dont look back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I moved to southern Oregon. I got a job after a phone interview, took it and moved within a month. Keep my house in wisconsin and rented it out. Rented a small apartment out there until I figured out the area and bought a house out there.
Life is an adventure. Life it
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Did it for grad school, MN to upstate NY. Remember, America is super diverse, and a long-distance move brings you in contact with a different culture. That part's a mixed bag, so focus on the good and it'll help you adapt.

The part that sucks is what you move away from. In my case, I paused generations of family and a lifetime of friends for no significant gain aside from new friends who I wouldn't see much when I was done. It was a good experience, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you need to escape and/or rebuild.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It’s called transfer season in the military
View Quote

I kind of wanted to exclude these types of moves from this discussion because the decision isn't really yours to make. You're going to move, so you just have to deal with it. You know that the basics will be taken care of.

My last job required travel for days to several months at a time. It wasn't that stressful because the decision was made for me. This is another case where I knew things would be taken care of. I had flights, hotels, cars and work(plus that sweet .gov rate per diem. Lol).  My family would still have our home and the paychecks kept coming.

Picking up and moving is all on me and my family. It's a big risk/responsibility but it could have a great reward (or consequences)
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine were job related relocations, so the job took me there.

Atlanta -> Kansas City, MO in 2004. Only knew my aunt and uncle that lived there.
KCMO -> Portland, OR in late 2007. Knew no one. Found a wife and we have a son now.
Portland, OR -> (likely St Augustine, FL) (this year or next year), our jobs are remote enabled, we know no one in the area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top