Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 1/27/2021 11:17:58 AM EDT
Ouch, but not a big ouch, many engine jobs are near that for some platforms

it's not too bad considering there is Mercedes amg's engines out there that are 50k a crate

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/38915/it-costs-nearly-16000-to-replace-a-tesla-model-3-battery-pack
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
How many miles does a battery last?

And much pollution is created to make one?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course it does.  It's just like replacing the battery pack from a hybrid car, only the battery pack is 4x larger.  4x the cost, nothing surprising here.  Batteries suck.  They're good for pocket electronics and emergency change overs, but they are not to be trusted as your sole source of power.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]
That is why I would never buy one. I buy used and like to keep my vehicles 20+ years. For most people that isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

And hazardous waste when it is spent.  Yea, we environmentalists now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
But these and other $50k+ cars you have to throw away every 5 - 8 years are going to replace gasoline cars.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Warranty 8 years to 100000 miles... Batteries can have issues that warranty does not cover it states...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess that's why the stock price is $800+
Just like Apple ... it's not the products, it's the repairs and accessories that drive revenue.
But can we really put a price on the polar bears lives that it saves?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Virtue signaling isn't free!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]
But, but you save money on gas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
My car will burn $10,000 in gas over it’s entire life.

16k is a lot to spend on an energy tank that you have to fill every 200 miles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
there are  shops that can  break  down your tesla battery.

find the bad cell and replace it.

and it will not cost  `16 grand.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Telsa will brick your car for unauthorized repairs.

Just like Apple
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Do these types of batteries go to hell like typical ones do if left sitting around unused?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just like Apple
View Quote

well,   there is that little detail.  

edit,

wait they  did at  first ,  not anymore.

they will take your upgrades but not  brick you.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

From the pictures I've seen it looks like a giant firecracker string of double A batteries.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife's Prius is 10 years old with close to 90,000 miles and the battery health is fine.

Replacement ICE's aren't cheap either and aren't getting any cheaper, however batteries will only become cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do these types of batteries go to hell like typical ones do if left sitting around unused?
View Quote

Last I heard Telsa uses standard 18650 cells.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But these and other $50k+ cars you have to throw away every 5 - 8 years are going to replace gasoline cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

You don't think people only buy factory battery packs for - for example - replacement in an early generation Prius? Those are very expensive. Or you can buy a made-in-the-USA aftermarket unit for a couple thousand bucks and it includes sending the old pack to them by freight.

That couple thousand bucks gives you a battery good for another 8+ years. Why would purely electric vehicles be any different in terms of aftermarket support?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like Apple

Are you serious? That's beyond outrageous. Apple and Tesla - and more - all need to have their dicks slapped by "right to repair". It shouldn't have to be said that people ought to hold rights to repair and change their belongings as they want but here we are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife's Prius is 10 years old with close to 90,000 miles and the battery health is fine.

Replacement ICE's aren't cheap either and aren't getting any cheaper, however batteries will only become cheaper.
View Quote
I don't anticipate replacing the ICE for the life of my Tacoma either. That's not really a consideration with modern cars anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

You don't think people only buy factory battery packs for - for example - replacement in an early generation Prius? Those are very expensive. Or you can buy a made-in-the-USA aftermarket unit for a couple thousand bucks and it includes sending the old pack to them by freight.

That couple thousand bucks gives you a battery good for another 8+ years. Why would purely electric vehicles be any different in terms of aftermarket support?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

Because Big Tech, Big Automatic and Big Industry in general is fighting tooth and nail to prevent aftermarket 3rd party repair.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

A friend of mine bought his sister-in-law's 2001 Prius that needed batteries.  
He found a company out of Texas that installed a new battery pack for $1,200.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#23]
The battery has a minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles, which should translate to 300,000+ miles (standard range/standard range plus) to 500,000 miles (long-range variants)

New batteries will be hitting 1 million miles+ lifespan within a few years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

Are you serious? That's beyond outrageous. Apple and Tesla - and more - all need to have their dicks slapped by "right to repair". It shouldn't have to be said that people ought to hold rights to repair and change their belongings as they want but here we are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like Apple

Didn't Apple get it's hand spanked for that as now you can have 3rd parties change batteries, screen etc again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

View Quote
Check out YouTuber Louis Rossmann. He's a huge proponent for right to repair and has tons of videos on Apple's bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Virtue signaling isn't free!
View Quote

It's why you make other people pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Over 8000 Made In Japan 18650  Lithium batteries, or assembled in USA 2160 battery modules,

thermally regulated, and arranged in modules to maximize cooling and with intrinsic pipes weaving through like a snake for coolant flow...

does not come cheap.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]
How much does a new motor cost on other cars that go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just like Apple
View Quote

That they will
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#30]

That's kind of the inverse of the "Star Wars" donkey cart,   where there's some big ass alien lizard horse pulling a sled that floats on anti-gravity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I've read that electric car cost per mile is cheaper.  
Anyone have comparison of cost per mile including battery replacement?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

90,000 miles isn't much IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just like Apple
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
tHeY lAsT 500,000 mIleS tHoUgH
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#35]
StilStill cheaper to replace an engine. You dont have to buy new to have an enginr that will last.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

View Quote

They won't necessarily brick your car but they will do many other unethical things to fuck with you

Decrease your vehicle range, turn off features, many other things.

Their service division is very unethical And in some ways anti-consumer, buying parts from them is quite difficult to in some cases due to ridiculous reasoning.

I just don't know how their customers put up with it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]
What about the electric motors
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The battery has a minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles, which should translate to 300,000+ miles (standard range/standard range plus) to 500,000 miles (long-range variants)

View Quote

LOFL

and you believe such nonsense?

My laptop and iPhone batteries sucks ass after 1 year.   How is this any better?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Laughs out loud as I drive a battery powered forklift.

Replacement batteries aren't cheap and I'm lucky if I can keep a battery for 8 months.
Once new, their great but after awhile the charge doesn't last as long and it gets worse from there.
The future is bright! And it gets dim from there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That is why I would never buy one. I buy used and like to keep my vehicles 20+ years. For most people that isn't an issue.
View Quote

Dust to dust doing that co2 is way lower than owning a new tesla every three years

However I love Elon so don’t care
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Not a mechanic.  

But my understanding is that ICE's have the advantage of being able to be rebuilt and you can find spare parts, even entire engines in boneyards to keep old vehicles running long after they're no longer manufactured.

Electric cars have that ability I am sure, but what about the battery?  Seems to be the achilles heel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link to your source?
I'm gonna raise the BS flag until proof.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#43]
The tech isn't where it needs to be just yet.

It's getting there though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Irrelevant. It makes the Environmental Greenie Wienies feel good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#45]
My mother’s 2006 Prius with 120,000 miles got her less in trade than my 2005 Taurus with 170,000 miles because hers needed a new battery
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Average electric vehicle: 1500 parts.

Average ICE vehicle: 10,000 parts.

Conversation over. Electric vehicles will dominate commuting in the next few decades.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What about the electric motors
View Quote

Good question
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. They largely will.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like Apple

These are the same people who want you to own nothing and love it, remember?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A friend of mine bought his sister-in-law's 2001 Prius that needed batteries.  
He found a company out of Texas that installed a new battery pack for $1,200.
View Quote

True. You can do it yourself for less than $1K.
There are Prius owners now with over 250k miles on the car with 80% battery life left on factory cells.
Sounds impressive until you realize your still driving a Prius. The tech is solid though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How much does a new motor cost on other cars that go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds?
View Quote

Or brakes, or oil changes over the life of the car.

EVs are the future. I know I’ll miss ICE but it doesn’t change reality.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top