Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2021 8:48:18 AM EDT
I see a lot of unemployment claims. Last year when people were filing for unemployment I noticed many, MANY, not electing to have taxes withheld. Since unemployment is considered income by both the state and the feds, a lot of people are in for some sticker shock when they file this year.

1099Gs for unemployment income started to go out this week. Prepare yourself for the onslaught on news stories about the poor and downtrodden being screwed over once again by the white misogynistic government by having to pay taxes on their free money. I'm sure Bernie, AOC and sleepy Joe will have something to say about it too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Filing my 1099G for the unemployment took off $400 from my refund.  

I wonder how many will “forget” about the 1099g and have a call from the IRS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

And they'll naively believe that it's the IRS.

They never call.  They only send letters - usually too late to avoid paying massive penalties and interest.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Oops
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Most people on unemployment are Libtards.

I hope they get reamed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hope they get reamed.
View Quote

You and I both know they'll get a bailout.

I've been thinking about this situation for months now. Luckily my clients aren't FSA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
wife was on and off unemployment a fair bit of last year due to the government shutting down her employer.

We had them withhold, but I couldn't find a way to specify the withholding level. What they withheld is definitely low. Knew this would happen and have planned accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Should I wait to do my taxes until there's an executive order to exempt unemployment income?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hope they get reamed.
View Quote

My wife who is a physical therapy assistant lost all her PRN gigs due to covid last November. Resorted to InstaCart shopping to bring in income.
Based on her school workload (night school) she can bring in $100-150/day (pretax, no bennies) which is pretty damm good IMHO. You can find work if you try.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Wife got a 1099G by fraud.  For some reason she got a debit card for it this summer.  I filed a fraud claim, state government did nothing about it and sent her a 1099 on a card that was never activated.  Spent most of yesterday trying to get that shit straightened out.  Happened to a lot of people in this commie state.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah we got the form for my wife a couple days ago.

$8500. She didn't have the withholding taken out.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hope they get reamed.
View Quote

Or they were people who had good, solid jobs that were forced to shut down by tyrant governors because COVID.

We paid in to unemployment insurance, you can be damn sure we'll use it if we need it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It just keeps you from spending money on mean old gun and ammo (if you can find it).
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the update. just turned in my daughter's taxes today. I didn't know that. she only got 3 weeks worth then her work opened up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We paid in to unemployment insurance, you can be damn sure we'll use it if we need it.
View Quote

LOL
In many states, including PA, it's a tax, paid by the employer, to fund a government mandated program.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And they'll naively believe that it's the IRS.

They never call.  They only send letters - usually too late to avoid paying massive penalties and interest.
View Quote

The dullards that work there send out erroneous letters on a daily basis.

I've refuted several successfully.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL
In many states, including PA, it's a tax, paid by the employer, to fund a government mandated program.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

So are social security and medicare yet nobody around here seems to have a problem taking that money either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wife was on and off unemployment a fair bit of last year due to the government shutting down her employer.

We had them withhold, but I couldn't find a way to specify the withholding level. What they withheld is definitely low. Knew this would happen and have planned accordingly.
View Quote

Same in Texas. They have one option: 15% withholding or none. I think you can specify an additional $ amount to withhold bot not additional %
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got the fiancé's in the the other day when they shut down salons and junk. They only held 10% of it. So not enough. But luckily she wasn't on it long at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Which still ultimately comes from your paycheck.

You can be the generous guy who props up the failed government and choose not to take the unemployment that has been paid into the programs for you if you'd like. You can negatively affect YOUR finances because of mandates that were no fault of your own.

As for me, fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wife got a 1099G by fraud.  For some reason she got a debit card for it this summer.  I filed a fraud claim, state government did nothing about it and sent her a 1099 on a card that was never activated.  Spent most of yesterday trying to get that shit straightened out.  Happened to a lot of people in this commie state.
View Quote

Fraud is widespread. HUGE. Rampant. Billions of dollars that is just gone. ID thefts are crazy. Hell, most states didn't even check anything, just auto-approved all claims because there were so many. I've seen claims that were filed by teenagers as young as 14 for jobs they never had. Nobody checked. Paid thousands of dollars. That's money's gone.

Forget welfare. This pandemic has been the impetus for the largest wealth transfer in history.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

This is part of the problem with people. They are detached from reality. "Someone else is paying it".

They dont think about how much tax they pay because they never see it.

Many have no clue that their employer has to match what they pay into FICA, and pay into unemployment and workers comp.

Money that could be going to them and invested in a more efficient machine than government beucracy.

If your employer is paying something, where do you think that employer is getting that money? Off of employee's work.

This is no different than the people who think "The government will pay for it".

It is wrong headed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#23]
why do they not simply deduct the amount and save all the money on the costs of processing?
same with govt employees
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#24]
There are sooo many people on the local facebook groups crying about this right now. I don't know how much time I spent beating the thought of withholding taxes into their heads in April/May but those dumbfucks wouldn't listen. Wouldn't be surprised if the government waives taxes on the unemployment money before April 15th.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You can be the generous guy who props up the failed government and choose not to take the unemployment that has been paid into the programs for you if you'd like. You can negatively affect YOUR finances because of mandates that were no fault of your own.

As for me, fuck 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

As for me, fuck 'em.

Yep.

We are well beyond honor, integrity, "pulling your weight". I have been raped by the government way too long and way too hard. It is time to take every last fucking free dime BACK that I can get.

Anybody who doesn't see that probably still thinks we should fight fair and play nice with the leftists in this country.

You best wake the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same in Texas. They have one option: 15% withholding or none. I think you can specify an additional $ amount to withhold bot not additional %
View Quote

TX will withhold 10%
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The India scammers will be busy taking people to the Goathouse for not paying their taxes with iTunes, Google play, Steam, Walmart and Target gift cards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are sooo many people on the local facebook groups crying about this right now. I don't know how much time I spent beating the thought of withholding taxes into their heads in April/May but those dumbfucks wouldn't listen. Wouldn't be surprised if the government waives taxes on the unemployment money before April 15th.
View Quote

Tax withholding is one of the worst schemes in our history.

Everyone should have to pay quarterly taxes out of their bank account.
It is good that people are getting a small taste of what the government actually does to them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hopefully you remind them that Joe Biden has promised to raise taxes on everyone.  Make them really rethink their vote.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife got unemployment from Illinois so I'm waiting for the extra from that's going to make. They withheld state and federal but I'm not sure if I can file to get the state taxes back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
About the same here, but it's not like I didn't know it was coming so already accounted for the added tax burden in my own withholdings.
You can file a new W4 with your employer anytime you want.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#32]
... just another example by democrats to usher in UBI
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Taxing unemployment is kind of stupid though, largely funded by your state why goes .fed get a cut.  It is pretty stupid when you think about it.  But fair is fair, and those playing by the rules are gonna get screwed and that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

LOL

View Quote

I don't know how it works in states other than KY, but this can't be repeated enough.

In KY (and apparently PA), the EMPLOYER pays 100% of the tax to unemployment insurance.  Employee pays nothing.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So are social security and medicare yet nobody around here seems to have a problem taking that money either.
View Quote

Again, at least in KY, this is not true.  The employer pays 1/2, the employee pays 1/2.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had to file for 5 weeks due to covid shutting down my industry.

10% was withheld.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is good that people are getting a small taste of what the government actually does to them.
View Quote

My wife asked me for her stimulus $ since it was direct deposit into our checking. I told her I was using that to offset all the taxes she didn't withhold enough.
She said how can I own more tax, they already get most of my check. Welcome to reality, took her 54 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is part of the problem with people. They are detached from reality. "Someone else is paying it".

Many have no clue that their employer has to match what they pay into FICA, and pay into unemployment and workers comp.

Money that could be going to them and invested in a more efficient machine than government beucracy.

If your employer is paying something, where do you think that employer is getting that money? Off of employee's work.

This is no different than the people who think "The government will pay for it".

It is wrong headed.
View Quote

And you can bet your employer sees this cost and it is reflected in your paycheck.

It would be stupid not to account for it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

People would definitely have a different outlook on the government if they had to repeatedly write their own check.  I worked for a company that at least sent you a total compensation statement at the end of the year where they laid out how much they paid in taxes and health care insurance on your behalf.

I like the quarterly idea, but think we should tie at least one payment to the first Tuesday in November.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#40]
The federal government counts on millions of citizens overpaying their taxes throughout the year. In fact, if everyone optimized their withholding, the government might not be able to pay for its day-to-day operations. But you don’t need to worry about what the government will do in that situation. The best decision for your financial health is to optimize your withholding so you do not receive a substantial refund.

In fact, you should consider planning your withholding so you owe the government when you file your taxes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#41]
The same idiots will have strokes when their student loans are paid by the govt. That shit counts as ordinary income at tax time.

Its gonna be hilarious when Shaniqua gets her Anthropology degree paid off for $50k, then goes wild spending all the cash she used to put towards her loan. Then come next April, when she is told she owes the IRS $20k in taxes, she'll be shocked and confused and demand reparations from the oppressive government led by whitey.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

See, you were smart enough to plan accordingly. I'm sure others did, too, even if they had nothing withheld. However, 80% of the population is dumb as fuck, so.......
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I withheld the 10% from mine. I've done my taxes already and adding my 1099G info reduced my refund by $100, no big deal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And you can bet your employer sees this cost and it is reflected in your paycheck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is wrong headed.

That's my point.

That is really money you earned that you never knew about.

I pay 14% Fica because....I have to match myself.

I dont pay into UE or WC since I'm alone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Should be withheld automatically.  Stupid not to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.

There should be no such thing as tax withholding. No refund at the end of the year.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nope.

There should be no such thing as tax withholding. No refund at the end of the year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

That's a different discussion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#48]
People buying health insurance from the marketplace and getting subsidies are also going to find out at tax time that they will owe back some of that money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm expecting to get one too, as I was one of many victims of the WA State unemployment scam that stole hundreds of millions.  So while I've been fighting the state to get that mess cleared up, I'll have another fight soon with the Feds on having to pay taxes on benefits that I didn't collect.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Wait for the tax on that $1,200 and $600 covid relief.

Millions for billionaires (or no billionaire left behind) and pennies (plus tax bill) for peasants.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top