Posted: 1/26/2021 11:00:18 PM EDT
Things I learned:

They cannot sell real beer cold
Prices are fucking insane
They cannot sell 1.5oz single serve shots
A security guard up front runs the entire operation
Being from Las Vegas, the whole thing is confusing and retarded
White stuff is falling from the sky and no one seems to care

Currently sitting in a hotel room waiting for my beer to cool down in an ice bucket.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
BTDT, it’s a weird place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Ohio has state alcohol sales too I think. Sounds weird.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring your own next time.  At least one can get more than 3.2 beer in that state now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How is that even a thing in the US?

That's so ass backwards, goddamn
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I was passing through Utah a few years ago. Stopped at a bar and asked for a beer. Bartender asked what I would like to eat.

Umm, just the beer is fine....

Nope, have to have some kind of food to order a beer. Got some pretzel mix or something.

Odd
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Eh.

Here in PA not only do we have state liquor stores but "beer distributors".

My local beer distributor I think had to close down because of the covid however the state liquor store remains open.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Magic underwear rules.  I was warned before the first time I went so brought my own cases of beer and liquor.  We have state regulated liquor stores but you can at least buy what you want.

ETA- found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state#Utah
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]
As if being from Vegas is the true path to enlightenment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Many counties in Arkansas are dry , no alcohol sales period !
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Things I learned:

Currently sitting in a hotel room waiting for my beer to cool down in an ice bucket.

View Quote

Bravo!

I have been to a strip club in SLC in the 90s on a Sunday night. Wasn't as weird as you would expect.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn!

And I thought not being able to buy fire water on Jesuses birthday was bad in my county!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve said it before: If they had the same amount of power, the Flanderses in this country would pose the same threat to liberty that the fucking communists do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn!

And I thought not being able to buy fire water on Jesuses birthday was bad in my county!
View Quote

LoL

Around here people blame the mexicans for the one area we can buy beer on Sunday

I love mexicans
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Come to Louisiana.

We have drive through bars.

You can buy liquor at a gas station.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Come to PA. You can't buy beer and liquor in the same place. If you get 6 packs from a bar you can only carry out 2 at a time, but you can go in and out as many times as you want.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
California does pretty much everything ass backwards but our liquor laws are one thing the state does correctly.  Of course that’s probably so you can drink your sorrows away for having to live in this damn place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of states do. UT is just extra tarded.

We voted to end the state liquor monopoly almost a decade ago, it's nice, but it came with a tax hike on booze.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Things I learned:

View Quote

This is exactly why if you live in southern Utah and you mention to anyone that you're going to Mesquite or Vegas, you instantly get drink orders.

I've been to a state store here like twice. They're overpriced, underwhelming and the selection is garbage unless you just want a handle of Stoli or whatever.

There's a reason that the little place in the middle of nowhere named Mesquite, just a 20ish minute drive over the border, keeps expanding the size of its liquor store that is basically almost the size of a Costco now.

If you're buying alcohol at the state store, you're either landlocked in the middle of the state, a complete alcoholic, or a tourist.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in Salt lake about 1998.
Walked the streets with my crew looking for a bar.
They were all private requiring membership.
Some smooth brain standing in the corner said we had to be a members guest.  
We then would stand outside the bar staring at some lonely bastard at the bar.  
He would invite us in, we would then have to buy him and his buddies a round of beers. We would then join the club as his guest.

Fucking weird world in Mormon town.  

As an aside, we were told repeatedly by bike cops that we would be jumped by crips/bloods if we were walking.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LoL

Around here people blame the mexicans for the one area we can buy beer on Sunday

I love mexicans
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn!

LoL

I love mexicans

You mean Catholics?

Half Irish Catholic here... fuck the puritans.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Oregon has the OLCC, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which sets prices for the entire state after adding their cut (taxes) to the price.

I've always found it interesting how racketeering is illegal, except for when the government does it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
UT has some unusual liquor laws for sure, but I really enjoyed the $5 "large flask" sized bottles of 190proof Everclear from the liquor store when I was there, I bought 5 at a time to make about a 5th worth. And the $3 60-ish oz bottles of Coors light at the bar (never seen them anywhere else in my travels). Sure it was only 4% alcohol versus 4.8% or whatever Coors light is outside UT, but it made up for it in volume and affordability, 2 at a time please barkeep.

ETA: 200mL bottles of Everclear in UT are $6.50 now, a 5th is 750mL.

https://abc.utah.gov/products/interactive-product-list/
Its listed under "vodka/basic", alphabetically by brandname
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lots of states do. UT is just extra tarded.

We voted to end the state liquor monopoly almost a decade ago, it's nice, but it came with a tax hike on booze.
View Quote

Logically it should have come with a drop in taxes since you're no longer having to fund the inefficient .gov. Moronic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BTDT, it’s a weird place.
View Quote

It is.  Can't buy booze easily, but you can marry multiple women, which would require copious amounts of booze to endure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Many counties in Arkansas are dry , no alcohol sales period !
View Quote

There are many in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BTDT, it's a weird place.
View Quote
Can confirm. The thing that I found the most odd about the bars I went to in Utah is that the tap beers were all 3.2, but the local microbrews were 8-9%ABV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
UT has some unusual liquor laws for sure, but I really enjoyed the $5 "large flask" sized bottles of 190proof Everclear from the liquor store when I was there, I bought 5 at a time to make about a 5th worth. And the $3 60-ish oz bottles of Coors light at the bar (never seen them anywhere else in my travels). Sure it was only 4% alcohol versus 4.8% or whatever Coors light is outside UT, but it made up for it in volume and affordability, 2 at a time please barkeep.
View Quote

You know a drunks just gonna drink twice as many beers to get drunk, so not only do you have a drunk on your hands, but you got a drunk who's fat and gross
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Stop at Lees in Mesquite before you cross the border. Only 30 miles from St. George.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Indiana isn’t bad, we can now finally buy alcohol on Sundays. The one thing we can’t do is buy cold beer at a grocery or convenience store. I find it weird when I go to the south that I can’t usually buy beer and alcohol under the same roof. So I guess we’re not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bring your own next time.  At least one can get more than 3.2 beer in that state now.
View Quote

Don’t get caught.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Logically it should have come with a drop in taxes since you're no longer having to fund the inefficient .gov. Moronic.  Mormonic.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is exactly why if you live in southern Utah and you mention to anyone that you're going to Mesquite or Vegas, you instantly get drink orders.

I've been to a state store here like twice. They're overpriced, underwhelming and the selection is garbage unless you just want a handle of Stoli or whatever.

There's a reason that the little place in the middle of nowhere named Mesquite, just a 20ish minute drive over the border, keeps expanding the size of its liquor store that is basically almost the size of a Costco now.

If you're buying alcohol at the state store, you're either landlocked in the middle of the state, a complete alcoholic, or a tourist.

View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’ve said it before: If they had the same amount of power, the Flanderses in this country would pose the same threat to liberty that the fucking communists do.
View Quote

Clearly accurate
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Interesting that AZ, NV, GA and others can't run a legal election but can bitch
about UT liquor laws.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Come to PA. You can't buy beer and liquor in the same place. If you get 6 packs from a bar you can only carry out 2 at a time, but you can go in and out as many times as you want.
View Quote

I prefer the current setup much more that a few years ago, when distributors could only sell >12 packs.

Do grocery stores still have a limit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oregon has the OLCC, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which sets prices for the entire state after adding their cut (taxes) to the price.

I've always found it interesting how racketeering is illegal, except for when the government does it.
View Quote

I've ordered hard to find booze off of various sites because local distributors neck beard the good bourbon from time to time.  Just sayin
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Is Moab different than the rest of the state?

Stayed there a couple of years ago, the restaurants seemed jacked, but the has station had good cold beer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep, it's really quite unfortunate. I have a house in Utah and spend a lot of time there. I was down in Vegas last weekend and stocked up at an amazing liquor store. It's stupid that the government gets a poorly run monopoly on alcohol sales.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Is this a Mormon thing?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep, it's really quite unfortunate. I have a house in Utah and spend a lot of time there. I was down in Vegas last weekend and stocked up at an amazing liquor store. It's stupid that the government gets a poorly run monopoly on alcohol sales.
View Quote

Lee’s?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#43]
When I lived in DC / NOVA, VA had those state run liquor stores......

Kinda had the feel of (what I imagine) an early 1980's Soviet liquor store must have been like.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is this a Mormon thing?
View Quote

Not really, it’s more of an anachronism to Prohibition and Teetotalers.

Now the Jesus Curtain, that’s a Mormon thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I always pictured liquor stores in Utah being a running joke, and selling nothing but bottled water. Or would that be coffee shops?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#46]
If all you want is cold beer I'm pretty sure they sold that at WalMart and the grocery stores when I was working in UT last year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I've never been in a state without weird hooch laws, to my knowledge anyway. Maryland seemed straight on paper, but typically there's always something or another that's dumb.

Virginia had state run liquor. Now in the land of gators and methheads, there are no 40 ozs, it's hard but not impossible to find six packs of pints, and our liquor licenses are capped and distributed via random lottery that anybody can pay the entrance fee for, so you end up finding some odd ass places that sell liquor. Because Floridaman McGee's great grandfather won the lottery 100 years ago and now he uses that to sell moonshine out of his shed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#48]
They sell 6 point beer at the grocery store in the cold case. Just have to go to the liquor store for anything over 6 now.

Last time i was through denver i bough $400 of beer at Tipsy's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Never once bought anything at a state ran liquor store in Utah.  Class 6 FTW!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

What i find weirder is you guys have dry counties and your cousins next door have a world famous distillery in a dry county
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top