Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2021 8:16:35 PM EDT
I spent the day wandering around at Wright Patterson (technically the official museum of the airforce).

I haven't been there since I was a little kid, back when you had to be bussed from the main museum to some dilapidated hangers on the base. It's way nicer now, and a very fun time.  

Having said that, there was a huge dose of propaganda ish stuff about women every 100ft or so.  I don't have an issue with the relevant stuff like, Jackie Cochran, WACs in WW2, etc.  It was randomly grafted onto stuff everywhere, as in here's a C5 Galaxy, we'll throw a display about the first C5 Galaxy all female crew to take an international flight.  I'd guess that they literally went through and figured that every X feet they'd add something about women.

And since this is a gun board, I am going to make fun of them for the having a sign on a WW1 German plane explaining it was armed with two 9mm Spandau machine guns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A good friend of mine, RIP Bob, donated 3 airplanes to the museum. There is a plaque somewhere there in his honor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I spent the day wandering around at Wright Patterson (technically the official museum of the airforce).

I haven't been there since I was a little kid, back when you had to be bussed from the main museum to some dilapidated hangers on the base. It's way nicer now, and a very fun time.  

Having said that, there was a huge dose of propaganda ish stuff about women every 100ft or so.  I don't have an issue with the relevant stuff like, Jackie Cochran, WACs in WW2, etc.  It was randomly grafted onto stuff everywhere, as in here's a C5 Galaxy, we'll throw a display about the first C5 Galaxy all female crew to take an international flight.  I'd guess that they literally went through and figured that every X feet they'd add something about women.

And since this is a gun board, I am going to make fun of them for the having a sign on a WW1 German plane explaining it was armed with two 9mm Spandau machine guns.
View Quote

You are aware they did indeed use the  Villar Perosa a portable double-barrel machine gun firing a 9mm round. It consisted of two independent coupled weapons, each with its own barrel, firing mechanism, and separate 25-round magazine.

So they might have been referring to that ... The Spandau was also available in calibers like 13mm

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
We went there a few times, not that recently though, maybe 4-5 years ago.  Nothing jumped out at me, or was even slightly memorable, as being woke.  Cool place, especially the admission price.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are aware they did indeed use the  Villar Perosa a portable double-barrel machine gun firing a 9mm round. It consisted of two independent coupled weapons, each with its own barrel, firing mechanism, and separate 25-round magazine.

So they might have been referring to that ... The Spandau was also available in calibers like 13mm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may go back tomorrow and get a picture.  They were regular 7.92x57mm guns.

The Germans and the Italians were on opposite sides in WW1, so they sure weren't using Villars.

As far as I know the german aircraft calibers were 7.9mm and 13mm (maybe some experimental TuF guns at the end.
The allies did use 11mm gras MGs for incendiary capacity, but I don't think the Germans tried that (with 11mm Mauser).

Any case...not 9mm.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The Liberty Bell in Philly is the same.  Shit about slavery and contributions of slaves everywhere.  Just brutal...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We went there a few times, not that recently though, maybe 4-5 years ago.  Nothing jumped out at me, or was even slightly memorable, as being woke.  Cool place, especially the admission price.
View Quote
I absolutely liked it, and free is nice.  I gave them a $5 donation for a map anyway.

Kinda looked like someone went around with a tape measure and dropped an extra display board about women every X feet in some of the halls.  I have zero issues with the ones that make sense historically, some were absolutely grafted on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Could be their way of getting more women into the museum, my wife would be bored to death looking at planes
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Liberty Bell in Philly is the same.  Shit about slavery and contributions of slaves everywhere.  Just brutal...
View Quote

It pissed me off going to Mt. Vernon and Monticello.  Both just monuments of how awful whites are.  I told the guide woman at Mt. Vernon to get lost, I'd appreciate the place on my own.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Germans and the Italians were on opposite sides in WW1, so they sure weren't using Villars.

As far as I know the german aircraft calibers were 7.9mm and 13mm (maybe some experimental TuF guns at the end.
The allies did use 11mm gras MGs for incendiary capacity, but I don't think the Germans tried that (with 11mm Mauser).

Any case...not 9mm.

View Quote

Actually you would be wrong Germany was a user of the Villar on aircraft as did Hungary and the UK .
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to work for a museum (very fortunately now retired!)

They are all woke, now.

But it isn't just museums.
It's everywhere, especially on tv.
Almost half the ads on tv now feature black people.
I have nothing against black people!
But to watch the ads, you would think the US is 40% black instead of 13%.

And I have counted eight ads that show a white male with a black wife, like that is some sort of "thing".
I'm pretty sure it's not.
(and I do not give a rats ass who marries whom!)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could be their way of getting more women into the museum, my wife would be bored to death looking at planes

View Quote

I saw a number of women taking their kids around, and the ones I overheard were doing a really good job.  So you might be right.  

This is just a perception, but for whatever reason there was less of it in the Vietnam gallery compared to the rest.

They have a neat missile silo thing now and the control room has an all female group of mannequins. Some how I kinda doubt most missile control crews were female in the LGM-30 Minuteman I era.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
What is not.......
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually you would be wrong Germany was a user of the Villar on aircraft as did Hungary and the UK .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any case...not 9mm.

I'm here to learn. How the hell would they get them? Off crashed Italian planes?

I can't imagine they could call up the Italians and put in an order while at war.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
We visited last year, hell of a museum, don’t recall much wokeness.  I could have spent the whole day in the WW2 exhibit. They also had a nice temporary exhibit honoring Military working dogs.

Pre Covid, one could walk through the retired Air Force one and other presidential jets. I think they’ve closed that off for now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They are all woke, now.

And I have counted eight ads that show a white male with a black wife, like that is some sort of "thing".
View Quote
The actual content I saw today on black people was pretty decent, and actually historical.  Being in unsegregated French units in WW1, a little bit about the desegregation of the military, etc.

I vaguely remember a good thread here that had divorce and domestic violence stats, and white guy/black girl marriages were statistically among the best.  Doesn't mean it's common, but I'm not going to complain about it in TV ads.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We visited last year, hell of a museum, don't recall much wokeness.  I could have spent the whole day in the WW2 exhibit. They also had a nice temporary exhibit honoring Military working dogs.

Pre Covid, one could walk through the retired Air Force one and other presidential jets. I think they've closed that off for now.
View Quote
I got to walk through the presidential jets back when I was a kid and don't remember it being all that interesting, so wasn't butthurt about that being closed.  There were some other walkthroughs (space shuttle, cargo planes, etc) I would have done if open.

It is a hell of a museum, period. I may go back tomorrow for a bit too.  Anyone wants pics let me know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I saw a number of women taking their kids around, and the ones I overheard were doing a really good job.  So you might be right.  

This is just a perception, but for whatever reason there was less of it in the Vietnam gallery compared to the rest.

They have a neat missile silo thing now and the control room has an all female group of mannequins. Some how I kinda doubt most missile control crews were female in the LGM-30 Minuteman I era.
View Quote

Women have been on Minuteman crew since 1988.  When I got to Grand Forks in 1989, the first female on crew there was a 1Lt and had been there almost a year and a half.  The seventh female crewmember in the Forks was in my training class.

That trainer was retired from Ellsworth AFB in 1994 when they shut the 44th Missile Wing down.

My last trip to the museum (2018) they were both female then, so it's not like they swapped them out anytime recently.

In this case (MM trainer), I think it has more to do with the availability of male mannequins than anything else.  They need the male ones pretty much every other place in the museum, and women were on crew by then, so....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
The military has been aping corporate culture for decades now. So like modern American corporations, they've strayed from worrying about their primary missions (for instance, making a profit) and have focused on being woke.

And that shit can continue open loop right up to the point were you get into a conflict with a serious adversary.  Then we'll see to what extent wokeness has overtaken military effectiveness.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Women have been on Minuteman crew since 1988.  When I got to Grand Forks in 1989, the first female on crew there was a 1Lt and had been there almost a year and a half.  The seventh female crewmember in the Forks was in my training class.

That trainer was retired from Ellsworth AFB in 1994 when they shut the 44th Missile Wing down.

My last trip to the museum (2018) they were both female then, so it's not like they swapped them out anytime recently.

In this case (MM trainer), I think it has more to do with the availability of male mannequins than anything else.  They need the male ones pretty much every other place in the museum, and women were on crew by then, so....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was hoping you'd pop in.  The sign on the MM training control room implied MM 1, which I thought was WAY too early to have female crews.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Took 2 of my kids there a couple weeks ago.  Made sure my 7 and 5 year old boys saw everything, had a great time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I still want to go someday. I want to see the Memphis Belle now that they got the Memphis wiped off it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't know that they were back open after closing for covid.

I absolutely love that place. I have been several times.
My 8 year old daughter loved the space hanger.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I still want to go someday. I want to see the Memphis Belle now that they got the Memphis wiped off it.
View Quote
Do it. Admission is free, Dayton is a cheap town. There's other cool historical stuff in Dayton too.

I grew up around aviation and love airplanes, but it's still overwhelmingly awesome.

I would compare it to the British museum as an experience.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It pissed me off going to Mt. Vernon and Monticello.  Both just monuments of how awful whites are.  I told the guide woman at Mt. Vernon to get lost, I'd appreciate the place on my own.
View Quote

I had the same experience at Monticello during the obama years. I wondered if the propaganda was dropped during the past 4 years but never made it back to see.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't even know there was an air force museum.  Where are the other branch museums?

This thread makes me think we need a general "museum thread".  I'm itching to travel this year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Love that place

Wish I was retired and lived closer so I could volunteer there, I would love that
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Did they take you to the basement to see the Roswell UFO? Must see if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Double tap/glitch in the matrix.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure it's a  display campaign.   Didn't see it 2 weeks ago.  I usually take the boy every few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#30]
On a somewhat unrelated note, I was surprised to see so many guns on display when I went to the NC museum of history. They even had a whole exhibit for the guy that helped develop the M1 Carbine

Plenty of wokeness in the other parts though
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#31]
It’s an amazing museum. We used to go every year before going to the Dayton air show. Haven’t been since they moved the presidential and experimental aircraft to the main building. From what I remember, the air force one on display was the one used to transport JFKs casket. They had to take a sawsall to the inside to make it fit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I didn't even know there was an air force museum.  Where are the other branch museums?

This thread makes me think we need a general "museum thread".  I'm itching to travel this year.
View Quote
Army used to have armor at Ft. Knox that was pretty cool to see. I know they moved it to GA to the national infantry museum, but I haven't been there.

Just throwing out places I've been to that are cool:

British Museum
Wright-Pat
Kublinka Tank Museum
Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
Smithsonian

There are a lot of other good places, but in terms of places that will take a solid day or more, that's an OK list. I'd get a cheap flight to London and do British Museum for a day, maybe spend another day or too.

I'm kinda ignoring Paris, which if your interests run more to art is awesome.

Muse de l'Arme

Plus Catacombs is a good day.

ETA: totally cool with turning this into a museum thread, I'll change the title if that helps.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty sure it's a  display campaign.   Didn't see it 2 weeks ago.  I usually take the boy every few weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seemed kinda new and grafted on.  (C5 that's been there for a while, and a popup board about (exagerating) the first woman that took a dump on one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Half?  More like 90%.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are all woke, now.

View Quote
I've noticed also the tv ads. I expect it's to avoid controversy. The SWJs are less likely to complain if you check all the diversity boxes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Love that place

Wish I was retired and lived closer so I could volunteer there, I would love that
View Quote
I saw a very happy retired guy cleaning dust off a F-111 today.

I looked like a bag of shit (backstory on that is in Team) but he went out of his way to say hi.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strange; I find planes fascinating, and not because they were made & flown by penises.

Should art museums have a mandatory sexy nude female painting every X feet to maintain male interest?

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The innocent & obvious answer is probably that these orgs are dominated by female staff.  It of course leads to less innocent bias and outright revision of history, but it may all stem from all decisions about exhibits & marketing being decided by women.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Army used to have armor at Ft. Knox that was pretty cool to see. I know they moved it to GA to the national infantry museum, but I haven't been there.

British Museum
Wright-Pat
Kublinka Tank Museum
Smithsonian

There are a lot of other good places, but in terms of places that will take a solid day or more, that's an OK list. I'd get a cheap flight to London and do British Museum for a day, maybe spend another day or too.

Muse de l'Arme

ETA: totally cool with turning this into a museum thread, I'll change the title if that helps.

View Quote

Me and the wife went to both the Museum de Armee and the catacombs in Paris 2 years ago. Both were really cool to see.
Napoleans tomb in the lower level of the museum was massive. And the arms and armor room was awesome.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been going there annually for over 30 yrs.  It's a cathedral to aviation; in the top 3 of aviation museums in the world.  If you came away from your visit there worried about SJW stuff that place isn't for you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The military has been aping corporate culture for decades now. So like modern American corporations, they've strayed from worrying about their primary missions (for instance, making a profit) and have focused on being woke.

And that shit can continue open loop right up to the point were you get into a conflict with a serious adversary.  Then we'll see to what extent wokeness has overtaken military effectiveness.

View Quote

But who would ever hate a people so woke, as to declare war on them?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We visited last year, hell of a museum, don’t recall much wokeness.  I could have spent the whole day in the WW2 exhibit. They also had a nice temporary exhibit honoring Military working dogs.

Pre Covid, one could walk through the retired Air Force one and other presidential jets. I think they’ve closed that off for now.
View Quote

#MeToo
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. It’s almost like they left out everything that had to do with independence.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#44]
If you're south or you've seen Wright-Patt, there are other great museums.

Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB is the Air Force's 2nd largest museum

Also, I can highly recommend the National Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

Both of these are free like the museum at Wright Patt and the Smithsonian museums.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I went there last summer.  My daughter knew I worked on
B-52’s.  She got to see the size in person
There is a section of the Berlin Wall there.  I used that as a teachable moment.  I told her that Socialism/ Communism was do great that they didn’t build walls to keep people out. They were built to keep people in
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#46]
This is a travesty!

Why were there no exhibits concerning the vital contributions of high-viscosity gender-fluid pan-asexuals?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have been going there annually for over 30 yrs.  It's a cathedral to aviation; in the top 3 of aviation museums in the world.  If you came away from your visit there worried about SJW stuff that place isn't for you.
View Quote
I had a great day and may go back tomorrow.  I grew up in a flying family and love planes.  95% of airplanes there I know from a distance, but I'll still read everything.  It is an awesome experence, period.

Yes, I thought the SJW stuff was weird. It's not a big deal.

ETA: I'm equally annoyed that although there are lots of exhibits and planes involving low level B-25/A-20/A-26 they never give pappy Gunn any credit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Imagine if they did the same thing with contributions "men" made...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Me and the wife went to both the Museum de Armee and the catacombs in Paris 2 years ago. Both were really cool to see.
Napoleans tomb in the lower level of the museum was massive. And the arms and armor room was awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

British Museum
Wright-Pat
Kublinka Tank Museum
Smithsonian

Muse de l'Arme

I kinda tend to crap on Parisian french people and Paris, but yeah, that's worth doing.  I would say for someone that's never traveled much, do London first.  I spent a day in the British Museum a few years ago, barely did it justice, and the curators invited me across the road to their pub for a pint afterwards.

That's not how, in general, parisians will treat you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#50]
The Commies took over the schools, the universities, the civil service, the news media, Hollywood, and now they are taking over the military too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top