Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 7:04:15 AM EDT
May be a dupe, but to qupte the majority, "the search is down"

Has anyone read the Tom Clancy books with John Clark as the main character, like No Remorse and Rainbow Six.

Does anyone else think these would make far better movies than the Jack Ryan's? Not to say I don't like the Jack Ryan movies, but after the last one, I have my doubts about them: fucked up chronology, making Ryan younger, having Ben Affleck play him, etc...

No Remorse would be such a bad ass movie and the start of an awesome franchise. I thought Willem Dafoe played him well in Clear and Present Danger, but I'm sure there are other people out there that could pull it off.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
My personal opinion is that everything Tom Clancy has written since Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October is shit.

What exactly is Cinco de Mayo a celebration of, anyway?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My best info is that Cinco de Mayo (5th of May) is celebrated to commemorate the Mexiacn ousting of French occupational forces in the 1800's sometime. The Mexicans celebrate it as if it were July 4th even though there is another Mexican Independence Day celebration sometime in November.

Maybe they are illegally emigrating here in record numbers in order to have some easy to understand, make sense national holidays. I give up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
May be a dupe, but to qupte the majority, "the search is down"

Has anyone read the Tom Clancy books with John Clark as the main character, like No Remorse and Rainbow Six.

Does anyone else think these would make far better movies than the Jack Ryan's? Not to say I don't like the Jack Ryan movies, but after the last one, I have my doubts about them: fucked up chronology, making Ryan younger, having Ben Affleck play him, etc...

No Remorse would be such a bad ass movie and the start of an awesome franchise. I thought Willem Dafoe played him well in Clear and Present Danger, but I'm sure there are other people out there that could pull it off.

What hurt the film is the fact Ben Affleck can't act to save his life unlike Harrison Ford!!!  Dafoe also is a excellent actor IMHO!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about that.  I am a HUGE fan of the Clancy books, and have read all of them, some of them twice.  However, because of this, I'm wary about letting Hollywood get a crack at 'em.  Because of this huge effort to install budding actors as action heroes, they would probably pick one of them.  

But who could play John Clarke?  I agree about the assessment of Clark in Clear and Present Danger, but he's too old now.  I loved the first three, but Sum of All Fears was disappointing to me.  As an action film in its own right, it was entertaining, but as an avid reader of Clancy's books, I was bothered by the change in chronology.

What I'm afraid of is that they will try to get one of the boyish actors.  I love Robert Ludlum, and was EXTREMELY disappointed in the choice to use Matt Damon.  He's a good actor, don't get me wrong, but he was too young and "pretty", I also was apalled with the complete change of story line.  I can just see them put Damon or someone like him in that role for Without Remorse.

Rainbow Six might be easier, since Clark's character is older, and there are more choices for an aging hero out there.  Benjamin Bratt might be a good idea for Chavez.  Who would make a good, aging but still bad ass John Clark?  We could bring Harrison Ford back for Jack Ryan as President, I pretty much like all of his work, and he was the best Jack Ryan by far.  Let's see here...Robert Redford?  William Dafoe?  David Caruso?  Caruso might work

Anyway, let's brainstorm here
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
For "Without Remorse" you need a young actor.  Remember, Kelly/Clark was a kid sailor in the book.  The guy has to be tough looking but not Ah-nold looking as well as fairly non-descript; a gray-man.

This guy played Sgt Randy Shugart in Blackhawk Down:

His name is Johnny Strong, which is really queer, but he looks more like what I always pictured - kind of a tough dark Irish kid.  I also think Brad Pitt would be good, but he's really short and a little old for the role.  Joh Hartnett from BHD is a good actor, but I think he's a little "too" baby-faced and not streetwise looking enough.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I forgot about Hartnett...hmm...that actually might work....

I also like the guy you mentioned, Johnny Strong, but your right...name's a little iffy, but eh, if he works out....

My biggest fear is that Hollywood will screw it up, like they tend to do, and I'd hate to get excited about a movie like that only to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
What really go the French to leave Mexico?  After the Civil War, W. T. Sherman and 50,000 of his veterans were sent to Brownsville.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The Mexican Army has not been very successful during thier history.  They celebrate May 5th because they won a magor battle that day during thier war for independance from Spain. It would be like us having a huge celaebration on the date of the battle of Bunker Hill)  I do not understand why anyone celebrates or even recognizes the day in the United States I certainly do not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top